CSI Miami- Flawed?

PDA

Glock19Fan
October 9, 2006, 08:29 PM
I just got done watching the episode of the sniper on the roof top. I rarely watch this show, but watched it tonight to see how the newer episodes are.

Anyway, there were an uncountable amount of gun related mistakes.

The "sniper", was using Accelerater rounds, which they described as a bullet with a plastic cover used ONLY to prevent the groove charactaristics from being printed on the bullet. The bullets, which were .223, weighed 7 grains, 14 grains, 21 grains, and 28 grains. The blonde girl fired each into gelatin, and when showed in slow motion, showed a bullet that looked exactly like a 55 grain bullet would. Also, the velocity from the chrony was listed as 2800 FPS. The total penetration in the gelatin appeared to be 5-6 inches. Being a boat tailed bullet, with a sharp profile, it would be almost impossible for the bullet not to tumble. It didnt, and traveled point first the whole path.

The "sniper" was taking shots from a distance of 650 yards, with one incident at 975 yards. Each victim was hit in the foreheads.

Now, with the latest designs in match ammunition, with the most presicion made firearms, these shots would be hard to make with the most trained and most experienced shots. In fact, the bullet, while traveling fast, would NOT make it to the target before the victim had time to move.

So, this show is trying to make us believe that a cartridge roughly in the power range of a .17HMR is perfectly capable of making 1000 yard shots and instant kills.

There is also loads of other BS I have spotted in this show which isnt even worth mentioning.

IMO, this show is just a soap opera mixed with criminals.

What other mistakes have you seen on these shows?

If you enjoyed reading about "CSI Miami- Flawed?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pilgrim
October 9, 2006, 08:39 PM
Would it really be that hard for the program producers to hire someone who knows firearms to test their scripts for authenticity?

Pilgrim

ceetee
October 9, 2006, 08:50 PM
Why spend the caysh if you don't have to?

cbsbyte
October 9, 2006, 08:52 PM
Why bother hiring an expert on firearms when most viewers wouldn't know the difference between the BS and accurate information.

RNB65
October 9, 2006, 08:54 PM
It's TV, folks. AKA, Fantasyland.

Hoppy590
October 9, 2006, 09:14 PM
man they havnt made excellerators in forever.

i believe they came in 30-06 correct? iv never used them though my father had. if i remember correctly they went about 4000 fps

Firehand
October 9, 2006, 09:17 PM
Inaccuracies? BS??? on CSI???

WOW!

gezzer
October 9, 2006, 09:19 PM
TV of course they are wrong. Why let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Do not believe TV or movies for firearms facts.

taliv
October 9, 2006, 09:21 PM
and why not hyper-exaggerate the ballistics of .22LR ammo to make all the idiots think it should be banned because it's too powerful?

i mean, if that nutty florida police chief would stoop to deliberate fabrication, what makes you think hollywood types wouldn't, when a) they're just as malicious and loopy, and b) fabrication is their job?

gbran
October 9, 2006, 09:36 PM
I've shot Accelerators thru my '06. They're fast, flat and offer really crappy accuracy.

carpediem
October 9, 2006, 11:39 PM
and then there was that episode a while back that was completely full of :cuss: regarding left-hand barrel twists

SoCalShooter
October 9, 2006, 11:41 PM
These and other reasons are why I really love watching "THE UNIT" they do an excellent job in combat tactics and in weapons deployment. I wish that producers and directors would not just give some actor a deagle and have him running around shooting it like its the greatest thing ever.

Panthera Tigris
October 9, 2006, 11:41 PM
Of course it's flawed, it's a fictional tv show. Nothing on tv gets it all right.

Tommygunn
October 9, 2006, 11:42 PM
It's TV, folks. AKA, Fantasyland.

Dittos. It's only a TV show.
I have fired .30-30 accelerators. They used saboted spire bullets so you could only load 1 in the mag at a time to prevent the point from blowing a primer. That's bad ju-ju in a tube-fed rifle.
I understand the legal profession is a bit concerned about these CSI shows as they are starting to see juries who believe the TV stuff is real, and they don't want to convict defendants without the nonsensically over-intricate microscopically unbelievable evidence these shows regular portray investigators uncovering.

SoCalShooter
October 9, 2006, 11:42 PM
panthera thats not the point in my opinion the problem is that some (a lot) of people watch this stuff and think its real and that is what needs to change.

Panthera Tigris
October 9, 2006, 11:44 PM
Well yeah, I agree with that. They do need to change.

My girlfriend has told me I ought to be one of the consultants for these shows, as I'm always pointing out stuff that's inaccurate.

SoCalShooter
October 9, 2006, 11:49 PM
Panthera:

Couldnt hurt I am sure that most people on here could advise or make suggestions, cause seriously a lot of stuff I have seen is just plain silly and makes gun owners and guns look really bad.

The Grand Inquisitor
October 10, 2006, 12:04 AM
You say that the inaccurate facts in these shows "need to be changed".

Exactly what would you like to do here - vote for legislation that requires TV scripts to be fact checked by lawyers and professions for every known field that a television show covers?

In the end - it's a TV show, and the bottom line for TV writers is that the script is exciting and new - not that it is accurate, factually correct, and stimulating to the hobbist and occasional nit-picker.

Also, one of the best things to do is to just come out and admit you watch the show - no one really believes you "just caught it this one time"...truth be told...we've all said that about stupid TV shows.

PS - Want to be appaled - learn a little about medicine and then watch ER or some other stupid doctor program - you'll nenver thing everyone else is so stupid again...

gezzer
October 10, 2006, 12:05 AM
a lot of stuff I have seen is just plain silly and makes gun owners and guns look really bad.

That is their intent.

Coronach
October 10, 2006, 12:06 AM
These and other reasons are why I really love watching "THE UNIT" they do an excellent job in combat tactics and in weapons deployment.Wait...isn't that the show where they had a bad guy behind a truck and they had a huge mexican standoff because they couldn't get a clear shot at him, and no one bothered to tell the producers that they could just flank him and then shoot him, since they had about a dozen guys armed with rifles (some of them precision rifles), open fields, and all time in the world?

:scrutiny:

My opinion: if it's on TV and it involves guns and/or tactics, it's probably crap.

Mike

Seminole
October 10, 2006, 12:09 AM
CSI Miami- Flawed?

In oh, so many ways. The writing is apalling, the acting worse (the "blonde girl" has a range of expression that ranges from flat to absolutely flat, and David Caruso's "acting" consists of a perpetually pained look while standing in profile to the camera), the editors seem to think that adding various video effects will somehow distract the viewers from the bad writing and horrible acting, and. . . oh, you mean another one of the episodes had some unbelievably obvious mistake related to firearms?

I didn't see this episode of the absolute worst of the CSI franchise. In fact, the only reason I ever watch the show is to laugh at how bad it is (I really enjoy CSI and CSI NY, despite the fact that they also make silly mistakes related to firearms).

mp510
October 10, 2006, 12:12 AM
I saw that episode as well, and have never watched CSI Miami before. Just happened to be on when I was watching TV. Also saw the jail marder/ escape episode. Thought they did a good job of not portraying the gun shop as a Neo-Nazi Base, as they did on Law and Order.

They also did a nice job of saying that the bullet could have been from either a .38 or .357 in that episode.

Could always be better.

Mal H
October 10, 2006, 12:18 AM
I agree with Seminole. The acting in CSI:Miami is so atrocious, I couldn't take the torture of trying to watch it any longer; stopped about 1 1/2 years ago and never looked back. If you look up "melodrama" in the dictionary, you'll find a picture of David Caruso.

The original CSI isn't bad in the acting department even though it also has serious forensics and firearms flaws. For example, the bullet they show spinning wildly in the water tank during the lead-in segment each week is laughable. In the distance the bullet travels in the tank, it should revolve one or maybe two revolutions at most when fired from the average handgun, and the bullet apparently expanded in mid-air since it is fully expanded when it hits the water.

KenW.
October 10, 2006, 12:22 AM
CSI's inaccuracies are second only to MacGuyver's

Panthera Tigris
October 10, 2006, 12:28 AM
I don't mind CSI Miami. I watch it more than the other two CSI's.

I prefer NCIS and The Unit however, and Boston Legal is the best!

Denny Crane....

Old Dog
October 10, 2006, 03:14 AM
You guys haven't even yet mentioned the episode wherein, incredibly, upon our intrepid CSI team finding the bullet that proved fatal to its human target, the wonderful Miami-Dade PD computer database matched the bullet not only to the very pistol which fired it, but also located the owner of the pistol (an law-abiding and legal gun owner -- in Florida. no less) which had never been previously used in any crime!

I just cannot stomach the over-the-top writing of that show, with its pitiful lack of knowledge and poor research on the most basic firearms and ballistics matters, even though it looks very nice in HD on my big 50-inch plasma-screen television ...

LiquidTension
October 10, 2006, 07:53 AM
Babylon 5 had more realistic science than CSI. Oh wait, they consulted with JPL for B5. It's fun to point out mistakes on CSI, and Miami is by far the best one of the bunch because of David Caruso. Every cutaway, every commercial break, every end of every conversation he has ends the same way - hand(s) on hip(s), either removing or putting on sunglasses, while slightly bent at the waist. It's hilarious. And the blonde girl is hot. Stargate is my favorite show, but I don't comment on the physics of it because it's a TV SHOW. Who cares if it's accurate? If it were a documentary on the History Channel that'd be different.

dfaugh
October 10, 2006, 08:29 AM
And the blonde girl is hot. Stargate is my favorite show, but I don't comment on the physics of it because it's a TV SHOW.

Yes, she is..the only reason I've watched th show (well, pretty much), but I haven't been recently, as its still just too bad. The NY one is even worse. Only the original is any good at all, and that only marginally so.

Ahhhh, yes. Stargate SG-1. BIG fan. AND if you accept one or 2 bits of scientific theory, they are actually very realistic in almost everything they've done, in what?, 10 or 11 seasons?
The only thing you have to accept is the fact that its possible to create a "wormhole" between planets. And current physics actually does postulate that wormholes can/do exist. Once you accept that, very little else (if anything) they've ever done on the show is beyond the realm of possibility. (Yes, they might stretch the rules a bit, but not break them.)

Deanimator
October 10, 2006, 08:44 AM
Would it really be that hard for the program producers to hire someone who knows firearms to test their scripts for authenticity?

YES, it would. 99% of their scripts would never hit the screen. There's an agenda at work, and truth doesn't further it.

It'd be like asking neo-Nazis to hire Isaac Bashevis Singer to edit the National Vanguard.

Deanimator
October 10, 2006, 08:46 AM
Babylon 5 had more realistic science than CSI.
And J. Michael Straczynski is an intelligent, honorable guy... definitely a career killer in Hollywood.

Phil DeGraves
October 10, 2006, 09:21 AM
I have watched this show twice and found it (both times) to be the most idiotic show I have ever seen on TV. Why would anybody watch this crap?! And then admit to watching it?

ChickenHawk
October 10, 2006, 09:24 AM
I saw one recently where they said they couldn't trace the gun because the serial numbers had been filed off, but if I zoomed in (HDTV) I could actually READ the serial number on the gun they were testing!

It's TV. Disable disbelief and enjoy.

ChickenHawk

ChickenHawk
October 10, 2006, 09:31 AM
dfaugh wrote:
Ahhhh, yes. Stargate SG-1. BIG fan. AND if you accept one or 2 bits of scientific theory, they are actually very realistic in almost everything they've done, in what?, 10 or 11 seasons?
The only thing you have to accept is the fact that its possible to create a "wormhole" between planets. And current physics actually does postulate that wormholes can/do exist. Once you accept that, very little else (if anything) they've ever done on the show is beyond the realm of possibility. (Yes, they might stretch the rules a bit, but not break them.)
LOL, absolutely, if you don't count zat guns, the gou'auld, hyperjumps, transporters, energy shields, the Ori, and the fact that Carter can solve any puzzle in 20 minutes which should reasonably take lifetimes.

Great show, though. I obviously watch it! :)

May the force be with you,
ChickenHawk

oops, wrong quote :evil:

Limey46
October 10, 2006, 10:45 AM
The writers on that show, and in fact the whole CSI/LaW & Order franchise, are mostly burned-out hacks from the wonderful world of magazine journalism. TV work pays ten times what they could ever have made in print. They know NOTHING about firearms, forensics, or any kind of science, and there's nothing motivating them to seek an education in these fields. This isn't heresay or opinion. I too am a former magazine journalist, and I know some of them personally/professionally.

Sleeping Dog
October 10, 2006, 11:45 AM
They know NOTHING about firearms, forensics, or any kind of science

Yeah, but ...

the blonde girl is hot

When she steps out with those 38's, ya almost don't notice she's got a gun.

That's entertainment. :D

Regards.

SharpDog
October 11, 2006, 08:47 PM
Next you will tell me she is wearing shoes as well :evil:

SkyDaver
October 11, 2006, 09:25 PM
Calleigh Duquesne (played by Emily Procter), the blond girl, is one good reason to put up with the other problems.

Alexx Woods (played by Khandi Alexander) is also a very, very good reason.

The detective that was married to the Caine character's brother was yet another.

Oh, there's a storyline too?:neener:

(edited to add reasons for CSI and CSI:NY)
Marg Hellgenberger
Melina Kanakaredes

Where's the 'drool' smiley?

XLMiguel
October 11, 2006, 10:57 PM
TV = electronic theater, dumbed down to the LCD (lowest common denominator) audience. Theater assumes suspension of belief in order to work. Entertainment is in the eye of the beholder. CSI Miami is flashy/trashy 'entertainment' on network TV - you get what you pay for, eh?:neener:

magsnubby
October 11, 2006, 11:01 PM
Any show starring David Caruso is flawed.

plexreticle
October 11, 2006, 11:08 PM
Are you all trying to tell me my TV has lied to me all of these years?

TV: My teacher,my mother, my secret lover.

Coronach
October 19, 2006, 01:08 AM
network TV - you get what you pay for, eh?Now THERE is a quote.

Mike :D

pete f
October 19, 2006, 03:45 AM
Such a great Idea ruined by so many flaws,

SUCH AS Emily proctor ID's a gun by the sound it made when the guy cocked it against the back of her head. "It's a Ruger, and they are rare"

Evidence they gathered gives them a chance to take down a Rendezvous of kingpins. Who leads the SWAT team on the take down, the CSI scientists. NOT wearing body armor.

Caruso gets shot at, shoots back and hits one guy, other guy takes off running so as Caruso walks past the wounded man on the pavement he kicks the gun away, and then fires a Coup d' grace into the BG's head as he walks past. Gee, ya think CSI would notice the bullet smashed to bits on the pavement behind his head?

Speed who gets killed off in a shoot out, is found with a faulty pistol blamed to some degree on bad maintenace, The gun is SIG.

Guy shoots a man in a public square and they use some film from a TV reporter to prove a third shooter, by relying on sound echos.

Cash strapped PD pops for Hummer2's for CSI vehicles.

CSI Caruso orders around FBI and USDoS guys on an offshore bust.

Mark Whiteman
October 19, 2006, 04:50 AM
The weird starkly-illuminated offices they inhabit is the giveaway. The whole show is a surreal, life-size comicbook story on video. I'm surprised they don't have people jumping between buildings and lifting automobiles.

Panthera Tigris
October 19, 2006, 04:53 AM
Actually, I gotta agree with SkyDaver! :evil:

Odd Job
October 19, 2006, 08:41 AM
panthera thats not the point in my opinion the problem is that some (a lot) of people watch this stuff and think its real and that is what needs to change.

Well, you folks might be interested in a recent debate that flared up because of a TV drama called 'Holby City' here in the UK. Basically, it is similar to ER, but is a BBC drama.
The problem came about when a radiographer wrote in to a medical imaging publication about a scene in Holby City where a nurse accompanied a patient into the gantry of a CT scanner to comfort the patient during the scan. Of course this would never happen in real life because the nurse would be irradiated and there are other technical issues to do with positioning too. Anyway, the radiographer who complained about this was concerned that the general public would assume that such practise is routine, and that nervous patients would demand that relatives or staff members accompany them into the CT scanner.

Now before I tell you more about this, I must give you some background about my relationship with the BBC and Holby City. In 2001 they were filming an episode of Holby City wherein a lead character in the show, a doctor, was the victim of a road rage incident and got shot in that altercation. The script called for the bullet to be located in close proximity to the spine, dangerously close to the abdominal aorta. The BBC approached a consultant radiologist at a large London academic hospital, to produce a radiograph (a prop X-ray film) showing this bullet in the required location. They sent the actual bullet via courier and gave him two weeks to produce the radiograph.
By chance, I happened to be walking past the reporting room and saw the radiologist holding this bullet up to a lightbox where he had an abdominal radiograph on view. He had a darkroom technician with him and various films where they had attempted to superimpose this bullet onto the film. None of these looked real. They looked like cutouts and clearly were not suitable. I asked them what they were doing and they told me the whole story. The BBC had even supplied the relevant parts of the script so that the use of the radiograph could be better understood. After a discussion between the three of us it was clear that the radiologist and the darkroom technician had tried all the tricks they knew, and were no closer to achieving a usable film. I offered to give it a go.

Now to cut a long story short, I was able to make that film by using analogue compositing, and I ended up with a film where you could not tell that the bullet had been added in afterwards. The bullet in question was a cast lead .45 with a modest hollow point that had been filled with a red epoxy resin (or similar) so that it retained an ogive, but the point was red.
The story was that the doctor got shot and the bullet was in a very difficult place to access surgically. The drama and tension was derived from the fact that the doctor's own colleague had to operate on him to retrieve this bullet. To further add to the tension, according to the script, it would be discovered at some point during the operation that this bullet was explosive upon contact with air. So there was a big deal made about keeping this bullet submerged in water so that this explosive red compound in the nose would not come into contact wih air.
Now, because you can't see a hollow point cavity on an unexpanded bullet on a radiograph, the X-ray film that I provided showed an ordinary bullet ogive with a slightly flattened tip. It was not exciting, radiologically. So the BBC hand-drew with a graphite pencil, the cavity in the nose of this bullet. I noticed it when the show aired, because I taped it. So clearly they needed props that would enhance the drama and were not concerned with producing a documentary or scientifically-correct programme.

And this is what I pointed out, when I wrote my letter to that same radiographic publication. I told them it was a bit much to expect the ordinary citizen to expect hospital procedures to be learned from a TV drama with a medical flavour. In the end that's all it is. It is a bit like judging nuclear power plant safety procedures by the behaviour of Homer Simpson.

And that is my take on CSI. It is a drama with a forensic flavour. If they religiously stuck to the procedures that are carried out today in crime labs in the US, they wouldn't have an exciting show and they would have to pay many more actors and actresses to take on the variety of work roles in the lab. Some of the investigative techniques in CSI are correct, and some are not typical or are imbued with a dollop of dramatic license. For more details on this check out this link from FirearmsID:

http://www.firearmsid.com/Feature Articles/crimeTV/crimeTV.htm

And that is what we have to focus on. The same applies to Holby City. Now if somebody comes along and demands or expects real life incidents to follow what they see on a TV drama, then that is their problem, not the problem of the TV show. These shows do not present themsleves as documentaries.

There is far more danger in the production of propaganda pieces that masquerade as documentaries, such as anything that fat turd Michael Moore does, or several BBC Panorama epsiodes that were clearly researched by morons or somebody with an agenda.

In conclusion I would say give these shows a break. They are entertainment, not fact. There are far more damaging publications and programmes masquerading as documentaries/fact for us to worry about. Just open the newspaper and watch the news.

Zen21Tao
October 19, 2006, 10:10 AM
I've always thought CSI should be called BSI. They are always able to solve the crime because they completley make up the conditions, technology and facts surrounding the case they are investigating.

Joe Demko
October 19, 2006, 11:08 AM
You catch the gun errors because you are a gun afficcianado. Most of the writers aren't. Talk to anybody who is an enthusiast about anything remotely technical from aviation to zymurgy and he'll tell you that TV and novels never get it right. No agenda at work. Just the fact that scriptwriters are working against a clock, don't have all-encompassing technical knowledge, and have a primary requirement to produce a script that is entertaining and will garner high ratings.

quatin
October 19, 2006, 11:26 AM
I scream at the TV everytime I see one of the "investigators" get some street camera/atm camera/store camera image and manage to magically zoom in to see precisely what specks of dust is on their right ear lobe or something retarded of that nature. Or when they access some database/hack into a system and there's a big green button that says "CLICK HERE TO DO WHAT YOU WANT" or "CLICK HERE TO HACK NSA". They click on the shiny big button and everything pops up in nice pretty pictures with important things flashing red and the tech guy just sits smuggly like he/she personally attempted some great feat by pushing a button :what:.

The "Hackers" movie series infuriates me more than CSI, but I tolerate half the BS (probably because I don't know enough to call half of it) in CSI just because it's entertaining....kinda like Fox NEWS... Oh yeah..I just went there :neener: !

oh blanky
October 19, 2006, 11:38 AM
Don't forget when they have street shots in Miami and while driving and suddenly pull up to a house somewhere in LA!

outofbattery
October 19, 2006, 12:06 PM
Sheesh,it's a TV show.You're a gun nerd so the gun errors leap out at you;were you heavily into cosmetics,animal behavior,chemistry,photography or awhatever else,the errors made in those fields would also be glaringly obvious but it's still just a show,made for entertainment.It's the stupidity of the American viewing public that leads people to believe that the technology and techniques are real but WTH,there are still thousands of people that think wrestling and televangelists aren't just actors too.

My main beef with CSI is lightswitches.Not as dramatic as a Surefire held above ones shoulder but usually a bit more effective.I don't regularly watch CSI but occasionally catch it and the ever *worse* Bones on Fox,where you'd be led to believe that autopsies are carried out in the middle of warehouse with plenty of staging and inadequate lighting.

Surat
October 19, 2006, 02:28 PM
Enlisting in the Army ruined most action movies/shows for me.
Becoming a LEO afterwords ruined most cops shows.
My wife works in the medical field so hospital shows are out. . . .

Now all that's left is the History Channel and Food Network. :eek:

CombatArmsUSAF
October 19, 2006, 04:10 PM
I understand that hollywood screws up alot of the time when it comes to dealing with firearms. I even understand that alot of their screwups paint us in a negative light. But is it really reasonable to expect them to know everything about every subject they film? How many movies do we see about cops getting into shootouts every day on the job? Most cops go their entire careers without ever getting involved in a line of duty shooting. Also, anybody who has seen action in a time of war will tell you that hollywood doesn't even come close to the real thing.

Mark Whiteman
October 19, 2006, 08:03 PM
"Enlisting in the Army ruined most action movies/shows for me.
Becoming a LEO afterwords ruined most cops shows.
My wife works in the medical field so hospital shows are out. . . .

Now all that's left is the History Channel and Food Network.:eek: "

I dispatched police, fire, and ems for 28 years, wife's a nurse, and my dad
retired from the Army a CWO4. I really screwed myself for enjoying any halfways serious entertainment.
I watch too much History Channel, Discovery Channel, Military Channel, and so on, and the wife (in my opinion) watches too much Food Network and HGTV. Some days, if I see Alton Brown or another Flip This House.....:banghead:

bender
October 19, 2006, 08:41 PM
I've only seen a few CSI Miami's. Its ok entertainment. I've seen many more of the original Las Vegas ones. In my area (san antonio texas) between the 3 of them, it seems like reruns of one or the other is on every evening 7 days a week.

After a hard day of accounting, its not bad to come home, flop in my chair, and watch an old original CSI.

don't watch much TV. Last great show to me was seinfeld. I'm just waiting for NBA season to start up.... go spurs go !!

edit: these days, I prefer the animated stuff.... Family Guy, Futurama...

Panthera Tigris
October 29, 2006, 07:31 PM
After I said I actually enjoyed the show, I'm really starting to see how lame the lines are in the program now, especially Carusso's. So over dramatic at stating the obvious.

NCIS and The Unit both are much better than the CSI stuff to me.

saspic
October 30, 2006, 12:12 AM
The best mistake I caught was on CSI:NY where a technician recovered a bullet from a crime scene and says, "Man, this guy got shot with a 41 millimeter."
I had to rewind to make sure I heard it right. Can you imagine? A bullet 1.6 inches big tearing through you? Ouch.

iamkris
October 30, 2006, 07:24 AM
When do you guys have the time to actually watch TV? I've never seen any of these shows.

possum
October 30, 2006, 09:19 AM

what is sad is that they probally do hire someone who "knows" ;)

Sig245
October 30, 2006, 11:50 AM
I just want to add my voice to the chorus of those who worry about the inaccurate gun data on TV.

Most folks who watch TV don't know the difference. This is how all the anti-gun information gets acceptance in public forums. All the BS stories about "Black Talon" bullets, "cop killer bullets", this stuff is presented on TV and then is accepted as fact by the public. The anti-gun groups then start their campains against "assualt weapons", "cop killer bullets", "black Talon" bullets, etc and the public says; yea, I saw that on TV thats right we don't need anymore assualt weapons!

The violent TV shows that we all have grown to love are turning the uninformed against gun owners. They see this stuff on TV and think it is happening all the time on the streets and then they vote. This is one reason we are seeing so many nutty, BS laws being passed all over the country.

I do think some of this is liberal Hollywood working to "educate" TV land that guns are not good for America.

tegemu
October 30, 2006, 12:39 PM
All the CSI's are so flawed that they are infuriatingly ludicrous.

seeker_two
October 30, 2006, 12:45 PM
The best mistake I caught was on CSI:NY where a technician recovered a bullet from a crime scene and says, "Man, this guy got shot with a 41 millimeter."
I had to rewind to make sure I heard it right. Can you imagine? A bullet 1.6 inches big tearing through you? Ouch.

I remember seeing that episode. When I heard that, I turned to my wife and pointed out that the victim in question must have been killed with a punt gun....

And the "terror" of the Cornershot units being in Miami... :banghead: Apparently Glocks become hyperaccurate high-powered magnum sniper rifles when placed in a plastic frame with a camera attached.... :rolleyes:

Caruso's acting has killed more productions than a Hummer full of Mala Noches...

CSI: Miami is the TJ Hooker of the 21st Century....

High Planes Drifter
October 30, 2006, 01:24 PM
I watch it for Emily Procter.

The Drifter likes Emily Procter. :)

Hot chick thats into guns.

Cliff47
October 30, 2006, 05:15 PM
I agree, she's got a great smile.....and a great stance at the practice range.

quatin
October 30, 2006, 05:33 PM
I saw a documentary from a trial lawyer that said the "CSI effect" is now a common term in the practice. It means where the jury has watched so much CSI shows that they expect prosecutors to come out with perpetrator's DNA extracted from the gut of a squirrel that incidentally passed a pickup truck that was parked near the crime scene 3 months prior to the killing. Or a picture of the perpetrator's face caught from an ATM camera 3 miles away that was put through some magical computers to produce clarity unmatched by spy satellites. Then when most of the trial is based on witnesses and testimony ,as most trials are, they refuse to convict due to lacking evidence :scrutiny:.

DRZinn
November 7, 2006, 01:46 AM
And then tonight (the wife was watching it; I was polishing my shoes) the one guy tells a store owner to keep a certain tire on the pro circuit, not to sell it to kids.

:rolleyes:

Mark Whiteman
November 7, 2006, 03:17 AM
Its that patriarchal leftard attitude where they're telling you what to do because they know whats good for you. That tire thing is a great analogy for another inanimate object we have experience with.

Joe Demko
November 7, 2006, 09:06 AM
Its that patriarchal leftard attitude where they're telling you what to do because they know whats good for you. That tire thing is a great analogy for another inanimate object we have experience with.

As opposed to that patriarchal rightard attitude where they're telling you what to do because they know what's good for you. That War on Drugs thing is a great analogy for other inanimate objects with which we have experience.

Phil DeGraves
November 7, 2006, 09:13 AM
CSI is undoubtedly the STUPIDEST show on television!

High Planes Drifter
November 7, 2006, 09:15 AM
quote:
That War on Drugs thing is a great analogy for other inanimate objects with which we have experience.
-----------------------------------

Not a fair comparison. One is a controled substance and is illegal to posses. Street tires are fully legal to own.

Joe Demko
November 7, 2006, 09:23 AM
The only difference between the two statist parties is which inanimate objects they want to keep from you. How difficult do you really think it would be for them to designate these tires as not street-legal?

Houser52
November 7, 2006, 09:33 AM
CSI MIami is reminding me more and more of the old Miami Vice show from years ago. It's getting old.

24 and Jack Bauer has got me spoiled.

Missashot
November 7, 2006, 10:00 AM
First off, it is only a TV show.
It is not meant to be accurate. It is for entertainment purposes only. On one episode, they also said that a Ruger GP100 is a rare gun.:what: And the blond girl(I think her character name is Callie). Could tell the Ruger from all of the other revolvers by listening to the sound of the cylinder as it turned. (I call BS on that too.) :scrutiny:
But as I stated, movies and TV aren't meant to be accurate. They are meant to be entertaining.:cool:
They would probably go broke if they hired experts on every subject that they cover.:uhoh:

Sport45
November 7, 2006, 10:23 AM
I think the best part of all of the CSI shows is how the scene is assumed to be sterile before the crime was committed. If they find a hair on the floor of a motel room it is obviously the perp's. (Couldn't possibly be from any of the 1000 or so prior occupants of the room.) Same with any piece of paper laying on the ground near a crime scene or fingerprints in an elevator. Custodial services in LV, NY, and Miami must be a heck of a lot better than what I typically see.

Rumble
November 7, 2006, 10:54 AM
I spent a pleasant evening ridiculing CSI: Miami last night. It was a re-run, but the gist was that one CSI was at a bank for a Scenario 217A (masked crooks with Tec-9's come in and begin shooting people and things). The CSI draws his weapon and kills one crook, and the rest retreat.

In the ensuing investigation, the CSI -- a police officer who shot a criminal during a shootout -- is not only standing around jawing with his buds, but is participating in the investigation of the crime scene.

Now, I don't know much about police procedure, but it occurs to me that in an officer-involved shooting, he would likely be back at HQ being interviewed by IA and counselors and what have you, and for damn sure not be participating in the investigation of a crime scene in which he was one of the individuals involved.

obiwan1
November 7, 2006, 11:06 AM
Even the Military Channel sometimes gets it wrong. I once heard that the F86 Sabre was armed with three 50MM guns. The real armament was generally six 50CAL guns.

obiwan1
November 7, 2006, 11:07 AM
Even the Military Channel sometimes gets it wrong. I once heard that the F86 Sabre was armed with three 50MM guns. The real armament was generally six 50CAL guns. The best parts of the CSI shows are the eye candy (no, not the guns).

November 7, 2006, 11:22 AM
Got here a little late on this one.I didn't see the episode,or don't remember it. I had some of the accellerator rounds years ago in 30-06.
I know the advertised velocity was HIGH,but can't remember what it was.
The claim was that the plastic sabot that held the actual bullet,separated from the bullet at 14 inches from the muzzle,opened up like a flower petal and dropped.
In those days I was doing most of my shooting at an old bauxite mine,so I took the rifle and ammo and spread an old GI blanket on the ground
14 inches from the muzzle and fired off five rounds from the Mod70 Win.
The little sabots did open and drop,just as advertised,and all were recovered on the blanket. Extremely accurate loads,and wonderful to shoot.
Hardly any felt recoil.
I believe they were outlawed due to the fact that the little sabot took the rifling and there were no rifling marks on the actual bullet,which would be a forensic ballistician's nighmare should it be used in an assassination.
It was a good concept,tho,and worked well,giving one a big game rifle,and a varmint rifle all in one. Seems as tho all the good ideas get outlawed by fears of this nature.

kasTX
November 7, 2006, 12:20 PM
I've watched CSI Las Vegas a few times and find it mildly entertaining. A lot of what they show on the show is ridiculous - the speed with which they get DNA results, the complete lack of lighting in the lab, and of course, the fantastic lab machines. Think a criminal might have touched that day-old Jello over there? No problem, just put it in the retrieve-fingerprints-from-day-old-Jello machine and presto! - fingerprints, a picture of the criminal, and a couple of tantalizing clues pop up on the monitor.

So while doing paperwork last night I had CSI Miami on, thinking it was the same show, different city. Uh, not quite. You guys have already hit on what a terrible actor David Caruso is. Reminds me of a comment made by Roger Ebert on his show years ago. He said he would yell out "fruit cart" every time a car being chased went up on the sidewalk and hit a cart carrying fruit, even though fruit vendors abandoned push carts at least a century ago. Well, same thing with Caruso, except it is "jacket sweep!". That's where he sweeps back his jacket with his hands, and puts his hands on his hips. That is all he does in the show, other than take his glasses off and put them on again. "Jacket Sweep" would make a cool college drinking game if you didn't mind passing out before the first commercial break.

But the worst part was when two detectives are nearly run down by a car that comes flying out of a closed garage, then crashes, and catches fire. After putting out the fire, one of the detectives detects a familiar odor - jet fuel! He then announces that street racers like it because it burns 200 degrees hotter than regular gas and makes their cars go faster. :confused: The other detective then chimes in that jet fuel is hard to get because it is heavily guarded. :confused: Neither one seems to realize that jet fuel is kerosene, can be bought at any airport (not even a waiting period! :rolleyes: ) or even a sporting goods store, is essentially identical to diesel and heating fuel, and is a really, really bad thing to put in a gas engine. The writers shouldn't need an expert to tell them that.

highlander 5
November 7, 2006, 12:31 PM
AFAK sabot rounds aren't illegal. I purchased 100 30 cal sabots to shoot 223 bullets out of my 308 and 7.62x39 and they work well. The ammo might have been discontinued because of poor sales. Anyone interested in the sabots pm me for the dealer

Brian Williams
November 7, 2006, 12:47 PM
While it had some good parts, this thread was more of a waste of time to read than to build up knowledge of Gun Use, The little bit about Accellerator/Sabots would have been interesting, but I can find that much info with a search.

Bashing TV shows is more wasteful than watching them.

Good night and Good luck.
b

If you enjoyed reading about "CSI Miami- Flawed?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!