"Rap" artist provides good role model for once!

PDA

gunsmith
October 9, 2006, 09:39 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=7&entry_id=9643

Andre 3000: 'I Always Carry a Gun'

Outkast's Andre 3000 always carries a gun with him because he would rather protect himself than be surrounded by bodyguards.

The rapper -- real name Andre Benjamin -- insists carrying a firearm is a necessary precaution, and he intends to buy his 9-year-old son Steven a gun when he's old enough.

He says, "Of course I carry a gun. I don't advertise the fact, but I need to have a gun with me at all times. I don't see what's wrong with that.

"To me it makes sense. I don't like to have bodyguards with me. I don't have them in my house, so I've got to have something to protect myself with.

"If I am with my son I am even more concerned to protect myself and protect him with a gun. I would want my son to have a gun when he gets older. It's just something you've got to have if you want to live and be safe."

| Comments (21) : Post Comment
Comments

If you enjoyed reading about ""Rap" artist provides good role model for once!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Stauble
October 9, 2006, 09:47 PM
cant argue with that.
someone should send that article to RosieO

Valkman
October 9, 2006, 09:50 PM
Some pretty funny comments to the story. It doesn't say if he has a carry permit or where he lives!

Cromlech
October 9, 2006, 09:50 PM
I was reading this interview the other day, I wondered whether it would turn up on here.

Andre is one of the good guys in his business.

DRMMR02
October 9, 2006, 10:29 PM
The real question is.....45 or 9mm? :)

Evil Monkey
October 9, 2006, 10:58 PM
It doesn't say if he has a carry permit or where he lives!

Such things are unconstitutional anyway so who cares.

Geronimo45
October 9, 2006, 11:00 PM
Celebrities can get licenses a lot easier than normal folks - in CA at least.

FTF
October 9, 2006, 11:02 PM
I believe he lives here in ATL. Thing is, here in GA, you can't carry eveywhere.

Can't carry in any business that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises.
No schools
No public transportation or adjacent parking lots
No 'public gatherings'... supposedly just political rallies and sporting events, but the language is vague at best.
No public buildings or public parks... basically anything owned by the public.. public restrooms lol.

If he carries it 'everywhere' he's breaking the law.

He wouldn't be the only one.

Good for him.

carterbeauford
October 9, 2006, 11:07 PM
I wonder if this corellates with Outkast being one of the only rap groups that makes listenable music? Cannot help but think he is more intelligent than his fellow rappers. Good for him.

Lupinus
October 9, 2006, 11:13 PM
Good for him :)

He sounds responsible about it to. A rapper carrying a gun doesn't surprise me, one sounding responsible and intellegent about it does however surprise me a bit but then I can only say it is for the good.

I don't care for rap to much but the older artists, ice cube, ll cool j, etc. They were ok and still are IMO. They weren't little idiots and o nthe whole were actually pretty intellegent and a lot of them even made great actors. However, the problem is the newer "gangsta rappers" who are idiots at best IMO and whose music is something I wouldn't let my kids near.

Evil Monkey
October 9, 2006, 11:16 PM
I hate outkast. It's all about 50 cent, lil scrappy, dem franchize boyz, and.........MIKE JONES!!!!!!!!! WHO?:D :D :D

Oh no, we wouldn't want those rappers with guns. They're bad.:rolleyes: :cuss:

Lupinus
October 9, 2006, 11:18 PM
if that was directed at me I said they were a bunch of idiots.

They are human beings so untill they proove dangerous with them they have just as much right to have guns as you or I. Just cause I say someone is an idiot doesn't mean I don't think they shouldn't be allowed to exorcise their rights.

Norm357
October 9, 2006, 11:28 PM
I went to high school with Andre and the rest of the boys from outkast. I still talk to them every once in a while. Nice guys.

Panthera Tigris
October 9, 2006, 11:43 PM
I saw several rap stars on Chappelle who were not offensive at all. I know alot of them are, but not all of them.

gunsmith
October 10, 2006, 12:13 AM
Chapplle is freaking funny

Panthera Tigris
October 10, 2006, 02:30 AM
Yes he is. I wonder if he's a gun guy? I imagine so.

TimboKhan
October 10, 2006, 03:52 AM
Chapelle grew up in Ohio and D. C. as the son of college professors. He is a Muslim, and if you have ever seen "Dave Chapelles Block Party", you will find that he at least tacitly supports the Black Panthers. None of those things necessarily make him a bad guy, and certainly none of those things make him any less funny. How many stars do you know that will turn down 50 mil because they feel that they are being choked out artistically? That being said, my guess would be that he is not a "gun guy". Mostly, I make that assumption based on the fact that he is a pretty vocal liberal, particularly in the sense of his support of social programs, and past (if not present) support for the legalization of marijuana. Before anyone says it, I know that not all liberals are anti-gun anymore than all Republicans are pro-gun, but the fact is the majority of liberals are not especially gun friendly. Thats why I say it's an assumption, not a fact. In any event, he is a funny guy, and I can respect that he keeps his personal beliefs to himself as opposed to trying to steamroll them over everyone.

Also, kudos to Andre3000. I can appreciate that he believes in protecting himself, and I can appreciate the fact that he tries to keep in on the DL.

Correia
October 10, 2006, 11:52 AM
He's a pretty talented actor too.

real_name
October 10, 2006, 12:05 PM
Who thinks (like me) he probably has one of those little pink Taurus P25s?
He is a pretty outrageous looking guy after all.

http://www.blainekendall.com/uploads/blog/andre3000.jpg

Note: not a P25. Probably a photoshopped DE.

Deathrider1579
October 10, 2006, 12:15 PM
Quote:
It doesn't say if he has a carry permit or where he lives!

WELL SAID!!!

-DR

GunnySkox
October 10, 2006, 01:44 PM

:rolleyes:

Wait.. wait.. do you hear that... ringing? I think.. oh! That's it -- it's the Real World calling...

~GnSx

PlayboyPenguin
October 10, 2006, 01:48 PM
Always liked Andre 3000. From Miss jackson on to hey ya and even like his new katrina related song.

Exmasonite
October 10, 2006, 02:29 PM
you know... Andre seems like a pretty stand up, responsible guy but i think he made a fundamental mistake by admitting to carrying a gun in that interview...

"I don't advertise that fact..."

Well, unfortunately he did. Now the BG's know that he carries a gun and does NOT have bodyguards. I find him at an extreme disadvantage now b/c of that. His situational awareness better be top notch b/c if a group of guys want to mug you/rob you/kidnap you, you'll be hardpressed to stop them unless you're walking around w/ the thing in your hand.

more power to him for taking the responsibility and decision to defend himself... i just think he may have hurt his cause by announcing it.

then again, maybe he's better off... at least now people know he's armed vs. before when maybe they dubbed him a harmless sheep...

Davo
October 10, 2006, 02:31 PM
Ive always liked that guy, but to many parents this is NOT something they want from a childs rolemodel. I do.

hksw
October 10, 2006, 08:27 PM
Hey ya.

tellner
October 11, 2006, 02:56 AM
So what? If he were against guns he'd be damned to the deepest Pit of Hell. Everyone here would say "He's a rap singer. Why should we listen to anything he says."

LadySmith
October 11, 2006, 03:16 AM
Heard an "entertainment report" on the radio about this. They made it seem as though Andre was joining the gangsta rap crowd by carrying a gun and joked that you'd better not mess with him or he'd "bust a cap."
They totally took his words and intent out of context.
I'm glad I read about his responsible and self-reliant nature here first.
Good for you, Andre!

strambo
October 11, 2006, 03:52 AM
Nice how in GA you can't carry your gun in any place where you are most likely to need it.:uhoh: Glad I don't live there! Good for Andre.

No_Brakes23
October 11, 2006, 12:41 PM
Some pretty funny comments to the story. It doesn't say if he has a carry permit or where he lives!
As stated, Andre is from ATL, where I imagine he continues to live. While they might not have the most enlightened concealed carry laws there, it certainly isn't like totin' in NYC, like some rappers do. As for Cali, and west coast rappers, it is a marbelization of shall-issue mixed with no-carry. Sean Penn is evidence enough that a wealthy/famous person can get a CCW in California, though. Good on Andre for being proactive about self-defense.

If you enjoyed reading about ""Rap" artist provides good role model for once!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!