National Assoc. of Realtors

PDA

Linda
October 10, 2006, 12:39 AM
As a follow up to this article I wrote last month:http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/article3273.html I have written this one:
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/article3317.html

I find it extremely disturbing that the National Assoc. of Realtors does not place value upon my own self defense by making statements such as this:

"If confronted by a knife or gun, donít resist and give him whatever he wants and wait for the opportunity to run.Ē

Give him whatever he wants??? Submitting to being raped, submitting to being thrown in the trunk of my car, submitting to having my throat slit? This is the advice the NAR gives me! I'm sorry NAR, giving him whatever he wants is not a viable answer to me!:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "National Assoc. of Realtors" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Geronimo45
October 10, 2006, 12:42 AM
"donít resist and give him whatever he wants"
They don't want to lose a potential customer just because he rapes/kills one of their realtors, I guess.

Pilgrim
October 10, 2006, 12:51 AM
"If confronted by a knife or gun, donít resist and give him whatever he wants and wait for the opportunity to run.Ē
You're reading too much into this. It may just be an opening gambit to negotiate a lower realtor's commission.

Pilgrim

countertop
October 10, 2006, 01:01 AM
Interesting.

Have a friend who is a VP over there - focuses on land use and energy issues not 2nd Amendment stuff - but will have to check with him on this.

Its a pretty big organization though, not sure where this policy comes from.

For what its worth, and wholly unrelated, they have a pretty cool office building in DC. Next to the Georgetown Law School, it looks like a giant sailboat and has a Million dollar view of the Capitol.

dracphelan
October 10, 2006, 10:00 AM
This comes from assisting in "self defense" classes when I was in college. Give whoever it is any valuables (money, jewelry, credit cards, keys...). However, do not go anywhere with the assailant. This is the time to put up a struggle/runaway. Going anywhere with an assailant is the quickest way to end up dead.

If you are armed, do whatever is required of you by your state's laws.

fineredmist
October 10, 2006, 10:36 AM
The people who run NAR are the same ivory tower bunch that run this country. Just make the sale, send your dues and we will tell you how to protect yourself while we sit in secure buildings with armed guards. Sounds like our politicians doesn't it?

nswtex
October 10, 2006, 12:09 PM
Most of the encounters that occur involving realtors begins with going somewhere with the possible assailant, so when it becomes an encounter you are already at a life or death decision time.

Sheldon J
October 10, 2006, 12:22 PM
be diligent and keep it up you are doing the right thing, N start your own pro 2A gun Realtors board.

Thefabulousfink
October 10, 2006, 02:02 PM
I am not going to defend the type of people who spew the "Give the BG what he wants" drivle, but it is probably NOT because they are anti-gun.

No, they are much worse. In their fear of liability from a realator using a CCW and resulting in a lawsuit, they have come out with a strong anti-ccw position to cover themselves. This is not about protecting the realators, but protection their pocket-books. If a realator uses a gun and a wrongful death suit is filed, a good lawyer will name the NAR if they even passively appear to support CCW. This way the NAR can tell the court that the realator acted on his/her own and the NAR actively discourages CCW.

Make no mistake, it is not your safety that the NAR is worried about.:mad:

romma
October 10, 2006, 02:08 PM
"If confronted by a knife or gun, don’t resist and give him whatever he wants and wait for the opportunity to run.”
If confronted by a knife or a gun, ask them who owns either one of them, if they say no one, wait for an opportunity to put them in your pocket and run... Clean and oil lightly, and store in safe for future use. :)

Imaginos
October 10, 2006, 02:25 PM
I had a long chat with one of the VPs of the Texas Assoc. of Realtors recently regarding a self defense article they published in the Texas Realtor magazine.

He said that they had taken their article from the NAR magazine, and if I would send him a letter offering alternative suggestions, he would consider including it in a future issue of the Texas Realtor.

I contacted the NRA asking for some brochures/materials on the Refuse To Be a Victim education program, and I got no response and no materials to include in my letter to that VP.

I don't want to go into this with a "guns are the best/only solution" because that WILL alienate the Realtor oganizations. I prefer to provide several options from proven sources. I just have to get the bastards at NRA to cough up the brochures.

FWIW - I am a Realtor. I have a CHL, and I CCW a Ruger SP101 all day every day. I do commercial realty and I have had several instances where I opened the front door of a vacant building and listened to the "rats" running out the back as I entered with a client. NOT a happy feeling.

Zundfolge
October 10, 2006, 03:06 PM
In their fear of liability from a realator using a CCW and resulting in a lawsuit, they have come out with a strong anti-ccw position to cover themselves. This is not about protecting the realators, but protection their pocket-books. If a realator uses a gun and a wrongful death suit is filed, a good lawyer will name the NAR if they even passively appear to support CCW. This way the NAR can tell the court that the realator acted on his/her own and the NAR actively discourages CCW.

Its a combination of that and the fact that antis buy houses too ... if they just repeat the mealy mouthed, middle of the road, standard sheeple response they don't anger the antis and an issue is not made of it.

If you enjoyed reading about "National Assoc. of Realtors" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!