DAVIS p-380 .380 auto problems!

PDA

SLMPDcitycop
October 10, 2006, 09:27 PM
I know this gun had been know to be riddled with problems, but hey I won it in a card game. So, anyway its in decent shape, however when loaded and cocked, it clicks but NO boom! I'm guessing the fireing pin may be stuck or jammed, but cannot figure out how to disassemble this b*tch to take a look to see any internal parts. Any help please!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "DAVIS p-380 .380 auto problems!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BrennanKG
October 10, 2006, 09:33 PM
Oh my friend, please be careful with that pot metal POS.

I took one away from my father-in-law. The firing pin had broken and I promised him a real firearm in its place.

Let me dig around and see if I can find my notes on my disassembly of it.

B.

Phenom
October 10, 2006, 09:36 PM
The firing pin is probably broke. It's a very common problem with "thug specials";)

BrennanKG
October 10, 2006, 09:39 PM
Yep.

Those Davis Industries 380s are/were a textbook example of a "Saturdaynight Special" semi.

B.

pocketgun
October 10, 2006, 09:58 PM
It is bad enough when the anti-gun crowd uses asinine terms like SNS, but it just makes it worse when it comes from a supposed enthusiast. Tomorrow, the term may apply to something you want/have/like. No the Davis isn't a high-quality firearm, but it beats harsh language if you cannot afford something else.

Agree that the firing pin sounds like it is broken.

For info on an almost identical pistol to the Davis, try THIS (http://www.stevespages.com/pdf/cobra_ca32_ca380.pdf) link - it is a .pdf and will take a moment to load.

HERE (http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=3620zP-380) is a link for parts, including the firing pin.

BrennanKG
October 10, 2006, 10:06 PM
pocketgun,

I apologize if my use of the term offended you.
While I'm moderately aware of the term and its history, I wasn't aware its use was considered verboten.

I simply meant to illustrate the DI 380 is a poorly made handgun.

B.

Jackal
October 10, 2006, 10:11 PM
The only problem I can see with the Davis is that people actually own and shoot them. I can say this because I owned one for about an hour(for $20.00). During that hour, the frame cracked, and I tossed it in the garbage.

MCgunner
October 10, 2006, 10:15 PM
I know this gun had been know to be riddled with problems, but hey I won it in a card game.

That's about what it's worth....:D I had one and it was pretty accurate. The firing pin would snap if it was dry fired much. Mine never did. I thought it was a pretty decent gun for a pot metal gun, but it was as heavy as a SP101.:rolleyes: Thick, too. I put it on a football pot at work and got the fifty bucks back that it cost me. I just bought it to have something to play with and check it out. I wasn't impressed, put it that way. It was accurate, though, amazingly. I could put five rounds into 4" at 25 yards and it shot to POA.

It was easy to take apart. I can't quite remember, but I think there's a latch doo hickey at the rear of the slide at the firing pin that raises, then you raise the slide and slide it forward or something like that. It had a pretty beefy steel sear in it, but I still didn't wanna carry it condition one. Actually, I don't remember carrying it, had a nice little J frame that wasn't any bigger or harder to pocket. I carried a striker fired .25 for years, always condition three.

pocketgun
October 10, 2006, 11:23 PM
I apologize if my use of the term offended you.
While I'm moderately aware of the term and its history, I wasn't aware its use was considered verboten.

I simply meant to illustrate the DI 380 is a poorly made handgun.

I understand. On re-reading my post, it comes off as stronger than I intended it, and for that I apologize. The SNS term does imply that low priced pistols are unsafe, and only used for crimes, etc. - that is why I don't like it. It is a way to do what CA has done and require a bunch of unnecessary BS features on pistols in an effort to generally keep them out of the hands of those who need them the most IMO.

It had a pretty beefy steel sear in it, but I still didn't wanna carry it condition one.

It isn't the seer that scares me on these types of pistols, it is the inadequate safety lever that can too easily come off.

Whirlwind06
October 10, 2006, 11:46 PM
If it is like most of the other pistols of that type. If you pull the slide all the way (unloaded gun of course) then tip up the slide off the frame.

Onmilo
October 11, 2006, 12:02 AM
They come apart like a Walther Model 7.
Remove magazine and clear the chamber.
Use a pen or a brass punch to depress the catch at the rear of the slide far enough to disengage from the frame.
Pull the slide back about 1/8" and lift up.
Let the catch come to rest at the rear of the slide and then remove slide to the front, towards the muzzle.

To remove the firing pin assembly push the catch forward to the clearance cuts in the slide and pivot downward.
Maintain control of the assembly and do this in a catch box because everything in the assembly is under pressure of the firing pin spring.
When the catch clears the slide cuts along spring tension to relax and remove the fire pin assembly from the slide.

Reassemble in reverse order and if it isn't a broken pin or a broken spring and involves something in the trigger mechanism, I would advise you throw the gun away or sell it to Gun Parts Inc.
The Company is out of business and I do not know any gunsmith, myself included, who will work on the trigger mechanism of these guns anymore.
The Liability is now too high to justify the repair.

BevrFevr
October 11, 2006, 01:16 AM
Lets try to answer his question

Step 1. Be sure the gun is totally unloaded and the magazine removed.

IIRCC, On the back of the slide, there should a circular or keyhole shaped piece of metal(pig iron, or zinc probably).
Push it in.
Lift up the back of the slide.
Slide the slide forward and off the barrel.
take the grips off.
The thing should be pretty well stripped at this point.

Or...

I just described how to take down a Raven not a Davis. hell it has been 16-17years since i held one. If I got it wrong I was just trying to help.

good luck -bevr

Hope this helps.

edited to add... Onmilo gave a better description than me but I did not read it all the way before posting. In other words...Yeah! what he said!

pocketgun
October 11, 2006, 03:06 AM
Bottom of page seven of the link to manual I posted...

MachIVshooter
October 11, 2006, 03:08 AM
Trying not to be rude, but what you have is a shiney, L-shaped paper weight. Seriously, don't use it. Could very easily end up with an injured hand or a slide stuck in your cheek. I've seen several Davis' and similar cheapies come apart on the range.

asknight
October 11, 2006, 03:08 AM
I hope it was a penny-ante game! :evil:

pocketgun
October 11, 2006, 03:24 AM
Aren't pennies made of plated zinc? :uhoh:

asknight
October 11, 2006, 04:15 AM
copper-plated zinc, since 1982, sir!

SLMPDcitycop
October 11, 2006, 06:25 AM
Got it apart! I know its a POS, but hey, when its free, its free. The firing pin was indeed broke. I bought a new one from egunparts for 12.95 plus shipping. Dont worry, its not a carry gun. Thanks for all the advice.

MachIVshooter
October 11, 2006, 09:54 PM
The firing pin was indeed broke. I bought a new one from egunparts for 12.95 plus shipping.

Kinda reminds me of a customer's car that I estimated yesterday. It's a 2001 Daiwoo Nubira base model with 102 K that needs an engine. Engine is $6,853 (new only, rebuilds not available). Car was barely worth $1,500 before it blew up.

If someone were to give me a Davis, I'd take the barrel and magazine and build something else on the mill using scrap metal I have on hand.

MCgunner
October 11, 2006, 10:32 PM
Heck, I'd shoot it, shot mine. I didn't keep mine. If I had, it'd been a gun to stash in a saddle bag, tackle box, or something. I wouldn't shoot it too much, probably will wear out pretty quick considering the construction material.

makarovnik
October 12, 2006, 02:29 AM
I had a Davis P-380 but the slide broke after about 500 rounds. It was accurate to 35' and only jammed about twice in 500 rounds. Yes Davis fixed it for free but it made me nervous. Most SNS break down the same way. It's just a larger version of the Raven. Just make sure it's unloaded, chamber empty, pointed in safe direction... Depress button at back of slide, lift back end of slide up, and then forward off the barrel. Davis is now Cobra Enterprises and they also make the Patriot .45 which is not a SNS. It is made with polymer frame and steel slide and it's a decent weapon.

The term "Saturday Night Special" is so common I think we should just accept the term. I don't think it should necessarily mean it's dangerous, just cheaply made. Example: Zinc/aluminum alloy slide AND less than $175 MSRP. Good luck with the firing pin!

pocketgun
October 12, 2006, 02:48 AM
The term "Saturday Night Special" is so common I think we should just accept the term. I don't think it should necessarily mean it's dangerous, just cheaply made.

That is what they want: when you accept the terminology and use it, all the misperceptions of inexpensive=dangerous get included in the translation by the non-gun types, who then side with the antis and believe their argument to be "reasonable". After all, why would anyone want a dangerous gun? :banghead:

Just remember the term "assault weapon" and how that one turned out.

shadowsniper
August 22, 2011, 05:24 PM
I currently have a Davis P-.380 pot metal POS... I can't really say too many good things about it, but I do have one question that I have yet to see posted n this thread. The problem that I'm having w/ mine is this. It will inject the first round (.380 ACP) into the chamber with no problem, and it will even fire it w/ no problem. However, the problem is after it fires the first rd., it won't eject the spent caseing, causing the subsequent rds to become jammed in the chamber housing. Can anyone help me w/ this problem? I am quickly reaching my wits end, and am almost ready to slag the POS.

If you enjoyed reading about "DAVIS p-380 .380 auto problems!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!