Matrix:Reloaded ............ guns?

PDA

2dogs
May 15, 2003, 02:08 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but went on rottentomatoes.com and read a ton of reviews. One thing I didn't see mentioned in any of them, even though it was a standout feature of the first movie was "Guns. Lots of guns."

Anybody seen it ?

Are there?

If you enjoyed reading about "Matrix:Reloaded ............ guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blades67
May 15, 2003, 02:10 PM
Yes, there are guns. Lots of guns.

Schuey2002
May 15, 2003, 02:39 PM
Yes, there are guns. Lots of guns
That's good to hear because I'm going to go see it in 20 minutes..

;)

CatsDieNow
May 15, 2003, 02:39 PM
I saw it last night. Many guns, but not as many as the first movie. I liked it, but the first half hour is kind of slow.

BTW, after the longest roll of credits I have ever seen, there is a short preview for the third movie.

ocabj
May 15, 2003, 03:08 PM
Reloaded is so action packed you need to watch it twice. There's a mix of everything. Morpheus sports a full auto Glock, iirc, and one of the twins uses an HK MP variant with a CMore style sight.

I'd have to download the bootleg and watch that in order to remember all the firearms.

Some friends and I saw it on Wed night at the 10pm screening. We got there at 7pm to wait in line (tickets pre-purchased the monday before) and there were already about 100 people ahead of us. I wonder how the screenings will be during the weekend.

general
May 15, 2003, 03:38 PM
Got tickets for the 9:45 PM showing tonight. Earliest tickets available. Will report on events.

LiquidTension
May 15, 2003, 04:11 PM
I saw it last night, too. I believe the twin used an HK UMP with a red dot on it. There aren't as many guns as in the first one, but the hand to hand stuff more than makes up for it, IMO. The trailer at the end wasn't worth sitting through the credits for. Those have to be the longest credits in the history of film.

The highway scene alone is worth the price of the ticket. Everything else is just gravy :D The courtyard scene with the hundreds of Smiths is hilarious. Every few seconds one of them just flies out of the melee and into a wall 50 feet up in the air.

The plot was very good and answered pretty much all of the questions that the first movie brought up. The only questions left are how is he gonna defeat the machines for real, and who is that tool on the table next to Neo?

Enter the Matrix goes along nicely with the movie. The scene in the sewers...I had just played before I saw the movie. The game explores more of the characters and events in the movie. Definitely play it if your computer can run it.

Persephone is hot :D

Bonker
May 15, 2003, 04:14 PM
"I'd have to download the bootleg and watch that in order to remember all the firearms."

How do you do that? Not that I would, but my high school students always see movies on the internet and burn their own DVDs BEFORE the movie hits theatres.

They say they pay something like 30 bucks a year to a website that has everything but I've never heard of such a thing.

TechBrute
May 15, 2003, 04:18 PM
I'll let you know.:D

50 Freak
May 15, 2003, 04:47 PM
I saw it last night, but didn't see any trailer for the third movie.....:cuss:

There weren't as many guns in this movie as the first. Figured that, the matrix knows that guns are useless against Neo hence more hand to hand fighting.

Justin
May 15, 2003, 07:04 PM
Just got back from seeing this.

All I can say is...

Whoa

Overall, there seemed to be better dialogue in this one, and a lot more exploration of the matrix in general. Very cool.
The kung fu was most excellent, and the level of special effects make the first Matrix movie look like a low-budget independant flick filmed in New Jersey.

Schuey2002
May 15, 2003, 07:06 PM
Make sure that you sit and watch the roughly 8 minute long credits so you don't miss the preview of RELOADED. Man,those credits go on forever. It looked like everyone in Hollywood worked on this sucker..

Anyhoo, it did have it's slow moments, but overall it was Tre Cool! I also liked the swords/knives/katanas/various other sharp edged items that were used in this movie.. Nice touch. ;)

The French get bashed in this movie too, but it's very subtle..

And, you got to love the Glock 18 action !! :what: If only they had used it more in the movie. Oh, well..

I'm going to go see it again this weekend.

[ The fight scenes between NEO and Agent(s) Smith are worth the price of admission alone.]

gryphon
May 15, 2003, 07:12 PM
I wasn't really all that blown away by this movie. It was good, but not great. The beginning was slow and the end left me a little wanting.

Oh, well. :rolleyes:

Justin
May 15, 2003, 07:21 PM
Well, it did end in a manner similar to The Empire Strikes Back, and I can say that sort of ending will definately leave you wanting.

(Hopefully that was cryptic enough not to give too much away.)

Schuey2002
May 15, 2003, 07:26 PM
I wasn't really all that blown away by this movie.
You're right. I was expecting to be blown away and it just didn't happen.. I was thinking to myself, " Fight scenes! We need more fight scenes!"

If I were to rate this movie and if 5 was a perfect score. I'd give this movie a 4.49999! ;)

Ian
May 15, 2003, 07:56 PM
Well, it did end in a manner similar to The Empire Strikes Back, and I can say that sort of ending will definately leave you wanting.

:eek: Neo gets his hand chopped off by his father?! :what:

;)

MAKOwner
May 15, 2003, 08:25 PM
The whole first 30 minutes were kinda slow, and the entire Zion dance session was the stupidest thing I've seen in a long time.

But the rest of the movie was hardcore freakin ??? kickin and mind bending matrix info. Some of it was long winded and sounded really weird, probably pretty stupid sounding if you're not into the movies.

But anyway, I think it was an awesome sequel, the level of action in this movie is 20 notches above any weak competition the history of movies has to offer up for competition.

You can get copies off the net all over the place. IRC or newsgroups are the best sources, but if you don't know what they are or how to use them you can forget me explaining it, lol. It will be all over the Kazaa shortly, many fakes but at least one real copy is the file name [TMD]Matrix.Reloaded.(ESO).TS.(1of2).avi and 2of2 first file at around 176 megs, second right at 160megs. There are already a few people with it on Kazaa, which is probably the easiest place for computer illiterate people to get it from. Note the file sizes and make sure the name matches, any others currently on there are likely fakes.

Shadowman
May 15, 2003, 09:38 PM
Imax = June 9

gbelleh
May 15, 2003, 10:54 PM
Saw it this afternoon.

The Zion stuff SUCKED! I was very worried for a little while, but after the first 1/2 hour it got good! Like others have said, not so many guns, but the ones they had were cool. Morpheus's Glock 18 was definately cool, and the twin's HK. The edged weapons were very cool too. There is even a brief COP .357 appearance.

Overall, not as good as the first, but the freeway scene and special effects make it worth it.

I'll need to see it at least 5 more times (on DVD) to figure out what that guy (architect) was talking about!

Recon By Fire
May 15, 2003, 11:03 PM
havent seen it yet, but I am going to go see it with my friends this weekend. Good for them, the more guns the better. It is their first admendment right to show that kind of stuff. More power to them.

Dionysusigma
May 15, 2003, 11:24 PM
Saw it. Loved it. Not as many guns, but still...worth seeing at least once. Maybe three times. The fight scenes were well done, although I believe that there were a few that could've been left out (Neo vs. Seraph), etc. The ending was good because it left you wanting more after the 2.5 hours you already endured.

The original Matrix pales in comparison. Definately a must see.

six 4 sure
May 16, 2003, 12:12 AM
I saw it and loved it. Although next time I'm going to the midnight show. Too many noisy teenagers. I guess I'm geeting old. However, it was cool that I saw it in a brand new theater. To bad the didn't get the painting done in time for a midnight show.

Six

UnknownSailor
May 16, 2003, 12:55 AM
and who is that tool on the table next to Neo?

****SPOILER ALERT!!!!*******

If you recall, a couple of guys on the run from agents are at an exit. One gets out, with a message from the Oracle. The last guy gets taken over by an Agent Smith, who then exits like one of the good guys. Presto, Agent Smith is in the real world.

556A2
May 16, 2003, 01:15 AM
Saw it Wed. night at the 10:30 screening, and WOW. My favorite firearm shot had to be Morpheus using the Glock 18 against the twin's vehicle. For everyone else who has seen it, did anyone understand what the "Creator" was saying?

Schuey2002
May 16, 2003, 01:32 AM
Didn't he call himself "The Architect"? :confused:

did anyone understand what the "Creator" was saying?
No. Not really. Well, kinda/sorta.

That is why I going to go see it again..
[Hey, it only costs me $4.00. So, I may see it a few times. ] ;)

556A2
May 16, 2003, 01:41 AM
Didn't he call himself "The Architect"?

I don't remember, thats why I have to go see it again. :D Oh yeah, and that Euro-trash style rave was quite possibly one of the worst movie moments of all time. :barf: But the rest of the movie made up for it.

Schuey2002
May 16, 2003, 01:51 AM
I thought that he said that the machines had destroyed Zion five other times and that this would be the sixth, or something..

I don't know. I was too busy looking at the faces in the monitors in the background to do any really deep thinking..

Well, there goes another 4 bucks, I guess. ;)

556A2
May 16, 2003, 01:56 AM
I don't know. I was too busy looking at the faces in the monitors in the background to do any really deep thinking..

I'm glad I wasn't the only person doing that :D

Feanaro
May 16, 2003, 02:23 AM
There weren't too many actually. Berretas, UMPs, Desert Eagles, Walther P99, a Glock 18 and a few I didn't pay enough attention too to identify.

The "To Be Concluded" was kinda lame to me but otherwise I loved it. But there should have been more guns. Lots more. :)

Schuey2002
May 16, 2003, 02:45 AM
This movie did need more guns. I loved the scene below. I just sat there, watching the bolt on the H&K G36K (the gun that is the second from the far right) reciprocating back and forth, thinking, " I need one of those!" :D

http://www.justinotis.com/JustinOtis/goof/group.jpg

BamBam-31
May 16, 2003, 04:37 AM
Let's see: the Twins had HK's, Morpheus had the Glock with the 1000 round mag, plus a P99 he points at Agent Smith in the hallway, I think Trinity had a Beretta and a couple of Mac 10's, lots of HK's used by the Frenchie's goons, Agents had Desert Eagles. That's about it off the top of my head. Might be wrong about a couple of them.

SPOILER:

I think the Architect was saying that Neo being "The One" was part of the program. The original Matrix program was rejected by humans because they weren't allowed a choice, so the Oracle (a programming program like the Architect) tweaked the Matrix program and gave humans the illusion of choice (the prophecy of The One). The machines allowed a small portion of humanity to occasionally rebel and create Zion because overall it helped the rest of humanity accept the Matrix program. Every so often, however, Zion would grow big enough to need "controlling," so The One was programmed in as a bug--he's designed to eventually find the Architect, and in so doing, he leads the machines back to Zion. Only this time, The One's a little different....

They make the rules, then break them to wow the crowd. Agent Smith goes into the real world, Neo has powers in the real world, etc.

At least that's what I got after the sensory overload headache wore off. Overall, a fun movie. :)

BerettaNut92
May 16, 2003, 04:41 AM
Man I hated it.

trvlr905
May 16, 2003, 06:01 AM
How come, Skunk?

general
May 16, 2003, 09:23 AM
After the restaraunt scene - when the girl takes them to the keymaker...
Was that a....
Sharps 4 barrel derringer
or
Sharps & Hankins .32 cal. 4 barrel derringer
The grip looked more like "dog leg" type.
Anyone.....
Beuler....
Beuler....
Ahhhh... guns from 3 centuries in the same movie.
(4 shot Pepper box circa mid to late 1800's - Thompsons and others from mid 1900's and Glocks and stuff from the 2000's)
In the shot stopping sequence...
Looks like someone was up late casting lead.
Guess I 'll go again (to the bargain day show)
Looks like the next one will be really good.
Got there @ 9:20 for the 9:45 w/ pre bought tixs.
9:45 show was packed had to sit up-front - neck still hurts. Line for the 10:15 show was loooong.
Took too long to get going - the love scene... is that what they call "really plugging in"?
Was pretty good tho' - I'll go again.

Bonker
May 16, 2003, 09:45 AM
"Sharps 4 barrel derringer
or
Sharps & Hankins .32 cal. 4 barrel derringer
The grip looked more like "dog leg" type."

I haven't seen the movie so I don't know. But sounds like maybe it was a COP .357?

AJ Dual
May 16, 2003, 10:19 AM
IIRC the 4 barreled derringer is a COP .357 from the 80's.\

-SPOILERS-

I haven't seen it yet, but the archetect explaining that the free human resistance is part of the "plan" as a safety valve to better enslave humanity over all isn't that much of a twist, IMO. I don't know where else they could go with it, other than the "free" humans really aren't any more "free" than the one's enslaved in tanks of pink goo in the powerplant.

The biggest twist for me was that the Oracle is an AI. It explains her precience perfectly, and it calls her motivations into question. Is she working for human freedom? Is she just the "kind" slave master and sees humans as pets, or is she part of the AI's "plans" for controled revolution, but secretly double-double-crossing them for a final revolution? She allready lied to Neo once as part of manipulating him into "the one". What else may she be lying about?

[geek nitpicker mode]
My biggest beef with The Matrix is the use of Humans as a power source, and fed from the "liquified remains of the dead". Even if human bio-electricity was harnesable in some fashion, the dead of a population is never enough to feed the living. It is a gross violation of the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Humans are just as "solar powered" as the AI's once were, we just get our sunlight through plants all the way at the other end of the food chain.

The AI's could have used fusion, or fission plants just as easily, or even put up orbiting solar power plants above the "burned sky" and beamed microwave energy back to the ground, just like the grandiose NASA plans of the 70's...

Instead, I'd have liked to seen the enslaved humans being used as "processors" in a massively paralell supercomputer that the AI's lived in. In Morpheous' little history lesson to Neo in the first film, he simply could have held up a computer chip instead of a battery to explain everything.

Perhaps because in the first war, the one secret the AI's couldn't replicate were the processors that originally made them possible. Instead they had to hijack human brains as CPU's. The Matrix is provided to give the enslaved human brains something to experience so they function. The "somthing you feel in the back of your mind, you can't quite feel" is the AI program running in unused portions of the brain etc. It would explain why agents can hijack any human's Matrix manefestation because that "processor" brain is now occupied by his program.

There could even be a deadline for the trilogy to explore, the assasination of human chip designers within the Matrix could be a huge sub-plot, because the AI's were guiding the enslaved humans in chip design, and once the AI's had the perfect processors, the brains and the Matrix they lived in would no longer be needed and what remains of humanity would then soon end in the "great flush". :evil:
[/geek nitpicker mode off]
Other than that, I love it. :D

Sean Smith
May 16, 2003, 10:31 AM
SPOILERS (& interpretations)

Zion and "The Outside World" are just parts of the Matrix, too. They are illusions. That's why Neo was able to destroy the machines in the "real world" with a wave of his hand. The "Architect's Choice" wasn't a choice at all, since both doors led to an illusion. The recurring revolutions didn't happen in the "real" world at all, and thus never really threatened the Matrix. That's why The Architect was never really worried, because Neo never really had a choice; the "choice" was an illusion created by those who have power. He was just shunting off the % that didnt belive in the Matrix into... another illusion, where they could stage a revolution and eventually be destroyed. Or not. Fighting control just lead to the same control in different clothes with bad dance music.

Insert paralels to politics, religious conversion, etc. here.

IF Neo is any different from all the previous versions of The One, it is that he figured out that the "real world" was just another layer of the Matrix, at which point he could break the cycle and find "reality"... assuming, of course, he doesn't just wind up in another layer of illusion below THAT.

general
May 16, 2003, 10:47 AM
Was it a COP?
Looked like something else...
Sitting too durn close I guess. Someone get me a cane.

Labinnac
May 16, 2003, 11:01 AM
I can't remember where I saw it but it made me laugh.

Why didn't the machines use cattle as the batteries instead of people? They should produce more energy than a human. And it would be a lot simpler to create a matrix for cows. How friggin hard would it be to simulate a grassy field with some streams?

The part that got me rolling on the floor was the name, "The MOOtrix"

All in all, I was disappointed by reloaded. The whole Zion thing could've bee replaced by commercials. The dancing was interesting but WAY too long. Shoulda been, "Hey Trin let's have a roll in the hay." Badda bing badda boom, 15 seconds of dancing. Back to the guns and fighting.

My favorite part was the sentry walker as the Neb entered Zion. Once through, the pilot sort of did a back step and twirled the twin cannons before dropping them from the ready position.

I got some dirty looks from people in front of me for the "Booyah" outburst when that happened...

Now we all get to wait for T3...

blackhawk2000
May 16, 2003, 11:15 AM
Spoiler:

I pretty much agree with Sean Smith. I think the only possible way Neo could do what he did to the Sentinals is if he was still in the Matrix.

My biggest gripe with the whole series is, if everyone knows they are mearly in a computer simulation, and it is all fake, then why would they possibly believe they could be hurt at all in the program. Am I supposed to believe that Neo is the only one who gets that? To me being in the Matrix would be just like lucid dreaming. You should be able to do anything, you desire. Perhaps that is the whole thing about the matrix, it is all the Matrix even Zion, and they just tricked everyone into thinking some of them are free. They just gve you different laws of physics in the "matrix" than they give you in Zion, to trick you into thinking they are seperate places. They also give you someone to believe in ie; Neo, much like Jesus in the real world. Faith in a higher power, is a trait some humans need to feel ok with everything, and to give them a reason to stay on the straight and narrow.

Also remember the trilogy has a lot of religious parallels, and the number 3 is also has a prominent role in it all.

Poodleshooter
May 16, 2003, 01:46 PM
Spoiler:

The horribly inarticulate Morpheus speech and the 30 minutes of "Soul Train" that followed aside, the action was pretty good.
As Trinity fell out of the building, were those Steyr SPP's she was shooting?
Also, could anyone tell who shot the Glock 18 at the agent in the car-the dreadlock twin, or Morpheus? I'm trying to determine if the rogue programs (other than Smith) are in conflict with the matrix itself.
Anyone wonder if Agent Smith is attempting a takeover of the architect program?

BerettaNut92
May 16, 2003, 02:40 PM
Gripes:

The whole Zion scene was just stupid. OK let's have a cross between the Ewoks dancing dressed up as the guys from Stargate. Uh huh.

Morpheus' inpsiration rally speech was just stupid. It reminded me of Van Damme's inspirational rally speech in Street Fighter, but at least Street Fighter was supposed to be cheesy. Between Morpheus pursing his lips and his fortunecookie babble, I thought he was pretty lame. His redeeming point was his alligator skin jacket, but that's about it. I was hoping he'd have a Rafter S Gunleather rig for that Glock 18.

Trintity and Neo turning into horny lovebunnies was just corny. Cheesy sex has its place in James Bond (Hey, I just killed 14 Russian guards with my .380 and DAMN I'm horny!!!) flicks but feels wrong in the Matrix.

The French guy was funny. I knew he'd run away before he got his butt kicked. The whole scene w/ him and his wife was just....stupid. Fate...and causality...whatever!!!

Smith multiplying himself and Neo flying were corny. What did I miss in the first one? Where did this come from?

It seemed like they pulled lots of stuff out of the yinyang with all the philosobabble. The whole movie seemed like a videogame where he was fighting his way to talk to The Boss who told him to go on the next quest, where he fights more guys, and talks to another Boss character, who is guarded by demi-Bosses. Too much fortune cookie stuff, I was just waiting for the fight scenes to stop so the movie would finish. Every time someone would go on about philosophy, I wanted to cry. I never headbobbed and rolleyed so much other than times my mom would give me career and job interview advice.

The first 40 minutes of the movie were unnecissary, my friend giggled when I groaned 'C'mon, shooting something already' and my 'yeeeaaahhh!' when the silly blonde dreadlock twins yanked out an HK UMP45. The freeway scene was cool and as was the stickfighting scene.

Not that much gunplay. The UMP45 with the C-More scope was neat, even if it never ran out of ammunition. I'm hoping if I get a USC I can find one of those mags because the proprietary mags only take 10 rounds and I don't want to chop it up and do an M3 Greasegun conversion. The Glock18 was definitely cool.

The fight scenes were just worn out and boring. If I wanted special effects for the sake of special effects, I'll just turn on my screen saver.

I didn't want to stay for the preview of the 3rd one. I have the feeling Matrix 3 will be a chick flick. I'm only seeing it if a chick invites me.

Schuey2002
May 16, 2003, 03:17 PM
The whole Zion scene was just stupid. OK let's have a cross between the Ewoks dancing dressed up as the guys from Stargate. Uh huh.
The dance scene was not needed. It was korny and cheesy all rolled into one. Besides the fact that it was waaaaaay too long.. I kept thinking," C'mon.... can we move along now?!" :banghead: Not that much gunplay. The UMP45 with the C-More scope was neat, even if it never ran out of ammunition.
That blonde dude just kept firing and firing. You'd think that he had a belt-fed device attached to the bottom of the mag that led somewhere in the Escalade with cases and cases of ammo. It would have been better if he would have pulled a tactical reload like Val Kilmer did in the movie Heat..:rolleyes:
The Glock18 was definitely cool.
Did I hear you correctly?!? You thought the G18 "was definitely cool" !!:what:
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Whoa

Sean Smith
May 16, 2003, 03:21 PM
Zion was about the un-sexiest sex scene ever, and not just because everybody had spark plugs sticking out of them in odd places (though that didn't help any). I like gratuitous sex as much as the next red-blooded American male, but jeez... :rolleyes:

blackhawk2000
May 16, 2003, 03:23 PM
The dance scene was a horrible waste of time, agreed.

Also can't they bump uglies on the ship, or is it strictlty forbidden?

BerettaNut92
May 16, 2003, 03:29 PM
OK OK Schuey, the Glock 18 was cool but not as cool as a Beretta 93R would be...but that would be asking for too much.

If I didn't get home at 0130 I would have watched Hard Boiled or The Killer just to cleanse my system.

That movie sucked but the company was good.

I got a big kick out of the Bad Boys II preview...two-tone Glocks and they said Tactical about 4 times. My friends were cracking up, because in the car my friend said her English book said 'untactical' and she was thinking about me.

It's too late, but I think John Woo should direct the 3rd one. Less talking, punching, kicking and sex; more shooting. Given a choice I think I'd might rather sit through Magnolia again.

Feanaro
May 16, 2003, 03:51 PM
Perhaps the "real world" is just another layer of the Matrix... or perhaps Neo's choice had somekind of side effect the machines had never planned on. Neo may have become "wired" to the machines in a way.

And yeah, the dance was a waste. But they needed to get teenagers to like the movie. :) And Morpheus' speech was stupid. But all public speeches are stupid. :D

BerettaNut92
May 16, 2003, 04:43 PM
Morpheus is stupid.

cordex
May 16, 2003, 05:42 PM
Don't go see Matrix: Reloaded if you're expecting a sequel of Matrix.
Spoiler ... yadda yadda yadda

Like many of you, my first thought when Neo stopped the squiddy things was "HA! Another level of the matrix."

Agent Smith's copyright infringment was overdone. It was neat that Neo got to smack him around with a pole so many different times, but ...

Fight scenes were spectacular. Love scenes were corny. Rave scene was unnecessary. Comic relief was well timed and enjoyable.

If you were a machine and you just wanted people for their body heat, wouldn't an improved waste disposal system be in order? Maybe replacing the current setup with another plug or two? Wouldn't that get in the way of certain other activities?

Like the idea of replacing the "human battery" concept with "human processor". Much more satisfying.

Highway scene was very cool. Wasn't surprised to see so many Ronco Miracle Magazines.

Having Trinity and Morpheus both ask people if they wanted a bullet in their head was overdoing it a bit. Funny the first time but Morpheus should have just pulled the trigger on Smith.

I enjoyed the movie. Then again, I tend to manage my expectations.

Schuey2002
May 16, 2003, 07:35 PM
:what:
http://www.tribute.addr.com/anime/dream.gif

Tim Currie
May 16, 2003, 08:05 PM
Kick ??? movie. Saw it lastnight. My only gun related complaint was when they shot the Cadillac into swiss cheese and didnt manage to hit anyone in the car...especially whey one of the agents pulls right up along next to the car, pulls out desert eagle, and fires two or three shots into the drivers door RIGHT where Trininty is and of course doesnt get her.... oh well.

BerettaNut92
May 16, 2003, 09:05 PM
Tim Currie, the Matrix world was programmed by people who don't know anything about guns! ;)

PWK
May 16, 2003, 09:14 PM
Well, you guys have convinced me not to spend my money going to see it. Now I can't even let my younger kids see it because of one gratuitous sex sceen. I don't think I like the ending either. If it's just all one deeper and deeper Matrix then what's the ultimate point to it all.
I like the story line proposed by AndrewW. better anyway.

On a side note: Hey Skunk I think you live the Matrix what with 2700 + posts thats 20 per day since this web site started, when do you find time to go shooting?

The-Distinctive-Edge
May 16, 2003, 09:29 PM
Hi! New here and I can't wait to see it! Paul

Schuey2002
May 16, 2003, 09:34 PM
Howdy and welcome to The High Road , Paul. :)

BerettaNut92
May 16, 2003, 09:59 PM
On a side note: Hey Skunk I think you live the Matrix what with 2700 + posts thats 20 per day since this web site started, when do you find time to go shooting?

Tuesday and Thursday nights and weekends. I just type fast.

I honestly can't remember a line that Keanu says. He didn't even say "Whoa...I know Kung Fu"

Bergeron
May 16, 2003, 10:02 PM
I enjoyed the movie, but the best part occured before we got to the theater.

One of my buddies turns to me and says,

"I don't care what kind of gun errors they have in the Matrix, don't tell us, it's a friggin' computer program, if the programmers want guns with infinte magazine capacities, or if they shoot rifle cases out of a subgun, they must have programmed it that way! So there!"

:D

Recon By Fire
May 17, 2003, 04:40 AM
First and foremost, I was really dissapointed at the whole way it was put togther. The flash back aspect was really cool at the beginning and other parts struck me as really neat, but there was just too many flaws.

Ok, when Neo stops the Robots, did

1) When he and Smith Fused in the first movie, did Neo get some of the code and some how gain the ability to stop the robots

or

2) The humans are just living in a second matrix

I REALLY WANT TO KNOW!!!!!!!!!!

any other theories?

BamBam-31
May 17, 2003, 05:36 AM
SPOILER ALERT:

Okay, just saw it again with another group of friends. Neo isn't a bug, as I first thought. He's supposed to repopulate Zion after it's destroyed by the Squids. And Trinity looks like she's using Uzi's, not Mac-10's. I could be wrong (again), but the Twins looked like they phased out at the tail end of the explosion, so they're probably still around.

I still don't think the second matrix theory is right. I'm with Recon By Fire. I think Neo's changed--not only is he The One (No. 6), he's really THE ONE.

And I can't believe I sat through that Zion rave twice. :barf:

Still an enjoyable movie, though. :)

Feanaro
May 17, 2003, 03:32 PM
Mini-Uzis I think.

Now I can't even let my younger kids see it because of one gratuitous sex sceen.

That's why kids don't like parents. ;)

The problem with the infinite ammo theory is that at one point on the freeway an Agent runs out of ammo(slide locks back). After a car passes the slide locks back again. He starts firing again. If anyone should have infinite ammo shouldn't it be an agent of the Matrix?

JShirley
May 17, 2003, 05:02 PM
You can clearly see from the image on page 2 that she has Uzi pistols. Mini Uzis look just like regular Uzis, only downsized. The Uzi pistol, on the other hand, is flat at the rear of the receiver.

As I watched the movie, I kept thinking, Shut up and kill someone, already! I give it 3 stars. Xmen 2 is better.

John

Feanaro
May 17, 2003, 05:09 PM
I've never been an Uzi fan, so I wouldn't know.

JMag
May 17, 2003, 05:25 PM
Planning on seeing Reloaded Sunday. Did I understand correctly that Revolution (third and last installment) is due this November??

Feanaro
May 17, 2003, 05:26 PM
I think you understand correctly.

2dogs
May 18, 2003, 12:45 PM
Still haven't seen it (probably next Friday w/o the crowds).

Unfortunately these idiots did.......................

:uhoh:

Escape 'The Matrix,' Go Directly to Jail

Some Defendants in Slaying Cases Make Reference to Hit Movie
advertisement

Investigators say sniper suspect Lee Boyd Malvo told them that "he loves 'The Matrix.' " In his jail cell, he made notes referring to "The Matrix," writing: "Wake up! Free your mind, you are a slave to the matrix 'control.' "

By Tom Jackman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, May 17, 2003; Page A01

Josh Cooke wasn't merely a fan of the hit movie "The Matrix." He believed he lived inside The Matrix, his lawyers say.

The 19-year-old had a huge movie poster hanging in his Oakton bedroom and a trench coat like the one worn by Neo, Keanu Reeves's character. He bought a 12-gauge shotgun, similar to one of the weapons Neo uses to fight the "agents" in the movie.

And on Feb. 17, Fairfax County police say, he walked into his family's basement and shot his father seven times with the shotgun and his mother twice. He then called the police -- twice -- to calmly report the killings.

Cooke's fascination with the movie is shared by others who also have been charged with murder. Some high-profile crimes since the movie's 1999 release have allegedly been committed without any obvious motive other than attempts to escape The Matrix.

It is not uncommon for slaying suspects, especially those who are mentally unstable, to raise whatever is hot in popular culture in their defense or in interviews with police. And experts agree that one film alone is unlikely to spark that kind of violence. But to the vulnerable psyches of those who may be mentally ill, films with suggestions of hidden evil and uncertain reality can reinforce paranoia and fear by helping unhealthy fantasy worlds to flourish, the experts say.

The cases in which "The Matrix" has emerged as a central theme span the country. Even last fall's sniper shootings in the Washington region have overtones from the popular science-fiction film, which posits that computers have taken over the world.

"Free yourself of the matrix," sniper suspect Lee Boyd Malvo, 18, wrote in his jail cell. "You are a slave to the matrix 'control.' "

Just this week, in Ohio, a woman who told police that she lived in The Matrix and that "they commit a lot of crimes in The Matrix" was found not guilty by reason of insanity to charges of killing her landlord.

And in San Francisco, a man who believes he was sucked into The Matrix also was found not guilty by reason of insanity on charges that he killed his landlord.

Warner Bros. Pictures, which released the sequel to "The Matrix" this week, said there is no connection between the movie and the killings. In a statement, the studio expressed condolences to the victims of violent crimes. "However," the statement said, "any attempt to link these crimes with a motion picture or any other art form is disturbing and irresponsible."

But many lawyers are continuing to search for any links between art and actuality to defend their clients.

"The Matrix" has developed a huge following in the years since its release, enchanting fans with dazzling special effects and a storyline incorporating aspects of doomsday, man-vs.-machine and biblical allegory. The premise is that in the late 20th century, once man perfected artificial intelligence in computers, the computers took over the Earth, which was mostly destroyed. But the computers continued to "harvest" humans to provide energy, and those harvested humans live in a computer-simulated world: The Matrix.

"He's just obsessed with it," said Rachel M. Fierro, the attorney defending Josh Cooke against charges that he murdered his parents, Paul C. Cooke, 51, and Margaret Ruffin Cooke, 56. "I don't know why he's obsessed. . . . That's one of the reasons we've requested a neutral, independent psychiatrist -- to determine whether he was sane and knew the difference between right and wrong."

A psychiatrist was appointed by Fairfax Circuit Court to examine Cooke after Fierro said in a motion last month that Cooke "harbored a bona fide belief that he was living in the virtual reality of 'The Matrix' at the time of the alleged offenses."

Fairfax Commonwealth's Attorney Robert F. Horan Jr. did not oppose the motion and said it was the first time he had heard of any connection to "The Matrix."

But, he added, "I don't think the movie causes violence. Millions and millions of people have seen it and not killed anybody."

Even experts who have studied the effects of violence in the media do not generally think that one film or one television show can launch such a violent impulse. But they believe that the cumulative effect of media violence in movies such as "The Matrix" can lead to actual crime, particularly in younger people and those already susceptible.

"When somebody commits a violent crime, you can't point to just one cause," said Joanne Cantor, a communications professor at the University of Wisconsin who has studied the effects of television and movie violence. But, she added, "I think these things can have really devastating effects on really vulnerable people. . . . If people are saying they were influenced by that movie, that movie was probably on their mind when they were planning these things."

When "The Matrix" was released, Cooke was 15 and Malvo was 14. Daphne White, head of the Lion and Lamb Project in Bethesda, which advocates against the marketing of media violence to children, said recent research shows that during adolescence, the brain goes through important developmental stages.

"We are selling young children, whose minds are still developing, ever more violent items from ever younger ages," she said. "Even though it's not 'The Matrix' that makes anybody kill, it's the compilation of all the images we're stuffing into children's brains at younger ages."

Psychiatrists have been appointed to examine Malvo, charged in Fairfax with the Oct. 14 killing of Linda Franklin, 47, in the Seven Corners area. Malvo also faces murder charges in Maryland, the District and elsewhere in Virginia in nine other slayings that occurred in a three-week span last fall.

When Malvo was brought to Fairfax on Nov. 7, he was questioned by June Boyle, a Fairfax homicide detective, and Brad Garrett, an FBI agent. Boyle testified recently that she made small talk with Malvo for nearly 90 minutes while they waited for his dinner. A summary of notes made by another detective shows that she asked him what movies he watched.

"Malvo responded he loves 'The Matrix,' " the summary states.

In January, while sitting in his cell in the Fairfax jail, Malvo made drawings and wrote notes around them. In two pages obtained by The Washington Post, he wrote: "Wake up! Free your mind, you are a slave to the matrix 'control.' . . . The outside force has arrived. Free yourself of the matrix 'control.' Free first your mind. Trust me!! The body will follow. Remove fear, doubt, distrust, watch the change then."

Malvo's attorneys declined to comment. They have not indicated whether they plan to argue that Malvo was mentally ill at the time of the sniper shootings.

Such a claim has recently been accepted in two other cases involving "The Matrix." On Tuesday in Butler County, Ohio, Tonda Lynn Ansley, 37, was found not guilty by reason of insanity in the July shooting death of Sherry Lee Corbett, 55, a popular Miami University professor who rented a house to Ansley. Ansley was arrested moments after she shot Corbett in broad daylight in front of several witnesses, and in a statement to detectives, she said, "I started having dreams that I've found out aren't really dreams."

Reeves's character in "The Matrix" believes his initial experience with The Matrix is a dream.

Ansley told police, "That's where you go to sleep at night and they drug you and take you somewhere else and then they bring you back and put you in bed and when you wake up, you think that it's a bad dream."

Craig Hedric, the Butler County prosecutor who handled the case, said that, "in her warped perception," the movie did have a role in the killing. "But I think that's only because she was suffering from a mental illness. I don't think some rational soul is going to be influenced to do that," he said.

Similarly, in San Francisco in April 2000, Vadim Mieseges, 27, killed and dismembered his landlord, Ella Wong, 47, without provocation. In September, a judge accepted his plea of not guilty by reason of insanity, and he was sent to a hospital for treatment.

In his confession, Mieseges "did make reference to being sucked into The Matrix," said Inspector Kelly Carroll, who interviewed him. "He seemed to have stepped through the looking glass," Carroll said, invoking the surrealism of "Alice in Wonderland," adding: "And The Matrix was a real thing to him."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A1323-2003May16.html

Justin
May 18, 2003, 01:50 PM
Oh Puh-leeeeeze!

Millions of people love The Matrix movies. Among them are some killers.

Millions of people love strawberry ice cream. Among them are some killers.

Correlation is not causation, and to suggest that a movie, of all things, is responsible for a killing is the stupidest pile of drivel this side of the VPC's website.

To buy into such malarky is to dehumanize the individual's ability to act of his/her own volition and to take responsibility for those actions.

:fire:

cool45auto
May 18, 2003, 04:17 PM
Just got back. I liked it. You know a movie's good when you want to see more after 2 1/2 hours! Gave you a lot to think about, like all the theories proposed here.

Love the scene where Trinity pulls a Beretta (compact I think?) on Monica Bellucci. Made me think of Mastrogiacomo!;)

George Hill
May 18, 2003, 08:04 PM
Millions of people love The Matrix movies. Among them are some killers.

Millions of people love strawberry ice cream. Among them are some killers.

So if you like the Matrix AND strawberry ice cream... you are a killer?
:confused:

Kidding. I'll not thread jack.

Watched the movie with my wife. After reading these posts... I like it even more. Some enlightening opinions here.
I liked the Zion Rave, Morph's speech, Trinity and Neo's moment... I liked that. Made it a more complete picture in my opinion. It's what they are fighting to protect.

I liked the Zion scenes in all. The gate security and controllers. Stark contrast to the rest of the populace. The Battle-Mech just inside the gate providing security... that was tight. The way the ships move and the coordination between the other ships. Made it all more "real".
It was a COP .357 that that hottie was holding...
"Kiss Me." - Hottie
"Excuse me?" -Trinity.
Then she pulls her Beretta on her. Classic.
Monica Bellucci = Goddess.
Trinity = Goddess of War. She kicks serious butt in this one. So does Morph. Morph ROCKS in this one. Even against these "Upgraded" agents.
The Ghosts... disturbing to a shockingly high degree . "That's a good trick" - Trinity. I agree!

Trinity's Berettas are Cheetahs. .380's that look like smaller 92 series guns. A good casting choice. They envoke the image and power of the full sized guns, but don't look comically huge in the petite hands of Carrie Ann Moss.

And her jump out the window... those are Micro Uzis. An even smaller variant than the Mini Uzis.

When Neo was flying to catch the falling Trinity - that was epic. His shockwave tearing up the streets behind him. Awesome visual. Just awesome.

Three things:
1. I'll have to try wiping my arse with silk...
2. I want some of that chocolate cake.
3. French people can be super slimy.

aikidoka-mks
May 18, 2003, 09:12 PM
Speculation:

A friend I saw the movie with thinks that love is was changed Neo. He now had hope in something that his precedecessors did not have.

We both thought that either the "real" world is another layer of the matrix or that Neo somehow is still linked to the matrix. If I recall correctly, the architect said if the one or "anomoly" did not choose to give up the code he was carrying, the error would spread thru the matrix and kill anyone attached to it and zion would be completely destroyed. Of course there is the chance the architect lied. Im looking forward to the next one.

fight scenes kicked ???. I loved cutting the vehicle with the katana and then shooting the gas tank with the full auto glock :-D

dustind
May 19, 2003, 01:35 AM
good thread

If I was in their position I would have worn something more tactical, and less flashy. Trinities's leather outfit wasn't even knife proof. Many parts of the matrix seemed to be based on reality while others were pretty far off.

Anyone see the power aid commercial before the movie? It was good, but way too long of a speech.

Nightcrawler
May 19, 2003, 01:38 AM
Enter the Mootrix. (http://www.pvponline.com/archive.php3?archive=20030512)
http://www.pvponline.com/archive/2003/pvp20030512.gif

Caught the Sunday Matinee today, paid $4.00 to see it. I liked it. The Zion rave scene was...well, unsanitary looking, anyway, and overlong. Good time to hit the restroom or get some snacks, anyways.

I try not to nit pick the movie too much; it's a conscious choice on my part.

In any case, I did like the movie. The car chase scene was worth the price of the ticket.

But what REALLY buttered my bread was the Terminator 3 preview. Did you guys catch that shot of a Future War soldier, standing on some rubble, holding the tattered American Flag?

Oh HELL yeah!

twoblink
May 19, 2003, 01:40 AM
OK..

Basically while watching the Matrix, I got validation that I am a nerd.. I completely understood what the "Architect" was saying..

That's sooo sad...

Basically, Neo is STILL inside a second matrix.. So it's a double hoax..

That's like that Star Trek episode, where Data battles Sherlock Holme's enemy, Professor Moriarty. (I'm sure I seriously diced up his name) that episode ended, with him locked into a little virtual holodeck.... thinking it's not a holodeck..

same thing.. Didn't escape, only escaped into a second holodeck..

Nightcrawler
May 19, 2003, 03:02 AM
There were a lot of great lines in there.

When another Agent ran into Agent Smith (who was copying himself):

AGENT: "It's you!"
SMITH: "Yes, Me." *sticks his hand into agent, turning him into a copy.
SMITH: "Me, me, me."
SMITH COPY: "Me too."

Some cool scenes, too.

-The freeway chase.
-The pompus french guy.
-The scene where Agent Smith is walking towards Neo and scares the birds.

Many others.

I stand by my statement, though, especially if you're seeing a $4.00 matinee. The Terminator 3 preview is worth the price of the ticket!

FTG-05
May 19, 2003, 01:31 PM
SPOILER QUESTION:

Did the twins die when their Cadillac was blown up? I couldn't tell even though I saw the movie twice now.

Thanks,

Albin

Feanaro
May 19, 2003, 02:03 PM
It looked like they went "ghost" in the explosion but you can't be sure.

anchored
May 19, 2003, 02:36 PM
Whilst sitting through the credits at the end in order to watch the trailer for Revolution, I noticed some of the extra character names. Three I noticed particularly were named Colt, Mauser and Thomspon. I wonder if I missed any before I noticed the thread . . .

Also, Neo lost all my respect: if you're a superhuman in the Matrix, you don't wait until you're out of the Matrix to have sex.

Grond
May 19, 2003, 06:44 PM
To get the gun preliminaries out of the way . . .

I liked the Desert Eagles. My favorite gun scene had to be at the restaurant when Merovingian's goons attack Neo--that wad of lead he stops must be a reloader's dream!

Now for a spoiler question or two . . .

1. Did anyone else notice the green tinting/shading in the temple of Zion scenes? If green is the color code of the Matrix, then could the greens of the temple be a subtle foreshadowing of the end of Reloaded?

Just wondering.

If you enjoyed reading about "Matrix:Reloaded ............ guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!