30 round clips for SKS: What's your opinion?

PDA

patriot2980
October 11, 2006, 01:10 PM
I'm purchasing a Yugo manufactured SKS later this week, and I've been reading about the aftermarket clips you can install. I'm not a big fan of modifying a gun like that but I'm intrigued with the the idea of larger capacity.
I just want to knwo if any of you out there have done this. Have you had any jamming problems or failure to operate situations? Thanks for any input.

If you enjoyed reading about "30 round clips for SKS: What's your opinion?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tenbase
October 11, 2006, 01:18 PM
Aftermarket magazines will most likely turn your perfectly reliable rifle into a jam-o-matic. Out of 6 30 round mags I had for my Norinco SKS, one works reliably, and that was only after several hours fiddling with the magazine feed lips. The rest I hammered flat and tossed.

Additionally, depending on where you are located and who is interpreting the law, it would probably turn the rifle into an evil, banned Assault Weapon™. Hopefully someone else can elaborate, I am :confused: when it comes to import rifle regs.

Crosshair
October 11, 2006, 01:24 PM
Not worth it, they have reliability problems. Get plenty of stripper clips and learn how to use them. Plus the 10 round fixed mag is nice when shooting prone.

Technosavant
October 11, 2006, 01:26 PM
1) Detachable magazines for the SKS have dubious reliability. Some work, some don't.

2) If you have a Yugo SKS, then simply attaching a detachable magazine places you in violation of the law. The Yugo SKS is imported as a C&R firearm. If you change it from stock configuration in any way, you must do the following: a) remove grenade launcher, b) remove bayonet and lug, c) remove night sights. If you wish to mount a detachable magazine, because the gun is considered a "non-sporting use" firearm and is completely foreign made, you also need to change out a certain number of foreign parts with US-made ones (Tapco sells compliance kits).

Unless you are just dying to have a SKS with detachable mags, just leave it as is.

foghornl
October 11, 2006, 01:27 PM
I have a Mdl 59/66 Yugo SKS. The standard 10-round mag, fed from stripper clips, works very well for me. I have tried 3 or 4 different after-market mags, and NONE worked worth a hoot.

I can reload from a 10-round stripper almost as fast as I can stuff another 8-round en-bloc into my US Rifle Cal 30 M1.

There were a few models of the SKS that had larger mags (Chi-Com, IIRC), but those that were made thay way seem to be the only ones that work with a larger than 10-round mag.

Your Mileage Will Vary.

mljdeckard
October 11, 2006, 01:30 PM
I asked the same question about mine, and after plowing through the ridiculous BATFE regs, and asking lots of people who have tried it, I very much agree. If you want a hi-cap, get an AK, they aren't that expensive.

MechAg94
October 11, 2006, 03:17 PM
Why would I want 30 round clips when the magazine only holds 10 rounds?

:neener:

Besides, I just got a chest rig that holds the 10 round stripper clips. :)

DogBonz
October 11, 2006, 03:42 PM
Is that you shouldn't call magizines clips.

remember: every time you call a magizine a clip God kills a kitten.

Hanzo581
October 11, 2006, 03:47 PM
he kills two kittens when you spell magazines wrong :neener:

LeonCarr
October 11, 2006, 03:52 PM
Worthless as t--- on a boar hog.

Jam-O-Matics, as Mr. Tenbase previously mentioned, and most require dremeling your stock around the magazine port to allow it to be easily removed (some folks due to the hassle of it leave it in place and load it from the top with stripper clips). The USA Brand Aftermarket Magazines are especially notorious for unreliability.

I prefer the standard basic 10 round fixed magazine. It can be loaded with the stripper clips just as fast as detaching and attaching a 30 round magazine.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Jackal
October 11, 2006, 04:16 PM
Short answer. Mine works, most don't.

Old John
October 11, 2006, 04:37 PM
If you bought a Model "D" or "M" SKS, Also known as a "Sporter",
made by Norinco, it came from the factory, built to use the same
30 round Magazines as an AK47.
And, On these models it works just fine, every time. No Problem.

I'm not sure where they stand "Legally".
But they make a fine little rifle, with a 5-rounder, a 10-rounder,
or a 30-rounder.

And, they are factory built.

Lonestar.45
October 11, 2006, 04:56 PM
It's illegal unless you plan on swapping out a lot of parts for US made parts to make it comply.

That, coupled with the fact that most of those mags are jammo-matics, would make me NOT do it.

Ohio Rifleman
October 11, 2006, 05:04 PM
I tried one with my Yugo SKS, I couldn't get more than 15 rounds into it. And the only jamming problems I've had with my SKS have been with that 30-round magazine. It's currently collecting dust. As a general rule, stay away from aftermarket magazines. In my experience, they're a waste of money.

Mainsail
October 11, 2006, 07:03 PM
I like the way mine looks, totally stock. Plus it works.

carterbeauford
October 11, 2006, 07:36 PM
There are stories on sksboards.com of people getting detachable 30 round magazines to work. I have never seen this with my own eyes, every detachable I tried ended up back where I bought it, or in the trash.

See if you can find one of the rather rare 20 round Chinese fixed magazines with the star on the side. Talk to the guys at sksboards, I bought mine from a member there. They work.

MCgunner
October 11, 2006, 07:50 PM
The only extra round magazine I ever made work on my SKS is a chicom military 20 round fixed mag with the big commie star stamped in the side and that one didn't work out of the package. I wound up grinding down the mag where it fits the lower part of the mag in order to eliminate the lip that was causing the problems as the rounds hit it. Now, it's 100 percent functional. I like the SKS mag design, anyway, quite reliable. The springs in most of those aftermarket mags are junk.

I put a 5 round Chinese mag on my rifle and pimped it for hunting. My "paratrooper carbine" is the one with the 20 round Chicom mag on it, folding stock, laser, pimp city. LOL

The Real Hawkeye
October 11, 2006, 08:22 PM
See if you can find one of the rather rare 20 round Chinese fixed magazines with the star on the side. Talk to the guys at sksboards, I bought mine from a member there. They work.I didn't know they were rare. I bought one in the early 1990s, and it still sits in a trunk, never installed. I thought it looked like Chinese junk, and decided not to install it on my very pristine Russian SKS.

MCgunner
October 11, 2006, 09:16 PM
I didn't know they were rare. I bought one in the early 1990s, and it still sits in a trunk, never installed. I thought it looked like Chinese junk, and decided not to install it on my very pristine Russian SKS.

So, I take it, your SKS has Ruskie junk for a magazine?:p

Hazzard
October 11, 2006, 09:21 PM
I have 4 30 rounders.

2 steel mags that work great.

1 zytel mag that works great.

1 zytel mag that functions as a fine blunt object to beat myself in the head with for ever buying it.:cuss:

Thin Black Line
October 12, 2006, 12:03 AM
Yes, the Chinese fixed 20s are nice. I have one next to my tin can of
hens teeth.....

preWWWIIbuff
October 12, 2006, 01:18 PM
I have made the 20 star mags work BUT.
All in All get good with strippers.
I have and have had lots and lots of sks,s
bought lots of them when the first dumped them on the market 69.00/89.00 bucks just could not beet them.
over the years I have made some of the HI caps work sorta with the twenty
star beeing the best. BUT allways keep the stock 10 rounder...if SHTF mine go back to the 10s they work allways allways allways
If you want to get rid of your10s Ill take them.
dont do it keep them you may need them.
Matter of fact I bought a junk sks off someone jammed would not function.
with 20 star mag. said he cleened it well not right you got to CLEEN the whole thing yes even the gas system.:banghead: cleaned and a 10 rd works great.
Thing is I pulled the 10 from anouther sks now I need one more.

I need a 10 rounder so if you have one and no longer have the rifle I need it:)

DogBonz
October 12, 2006, 01:24 PM
he kills two kittens when you spell magazines wrong I forgot to spel chech.

mainmech48
October 12, 2006, 02:52 PM
The only aftermarket magazines that I've found that approach the reliability of the standard box are the aforementioned "Red Star" 20-rd fixed boxes. While they generally take some fitting/tuning for the individual carbine, the job is easy and intuitive. Basically, one simply matches the configuration of the feed path presented in the stock magazine by some judicious squeezing and such. It's worked for me on two makes of SKS.

IIRC, the device itself was developed by the ChiCom military for a short-lived select-fire varient of the carbine issued to some units in the early '60s before the AKM became widely available. I have seen archived photographs of troops armed with these, and of examples of the weapon, but I've never seen one "in the flesh".

If one simply must have an SKS-type carbine with 30-rd capacity, one of the versions factory-modified to accept AKM magazines imported by Navy Arms et al several years back would be the best way to go, IMO. The major problem is that there weren't nearly as many of them imported and demand has driven the prices up near what a ROTM AK varient brings.

The twenty-round fixed box doesn't affect the handling characteristics of the weapon nearly as much as the "detachables", operates the bolt stop reliably (something many "high-caps" won't), and recharges in the same manner with the same strippers as the stock unit.

FWIW, they're still out there. I see them fairly often at shows and they are frequently available from folks like The Real Hawkeye who either expected them to be a direct "drop-in" and took it back out after a couple of malfs, or never got around to installing them.

carterbeauford
October 12, 2006, 10:59 PM
I didn't know they were rare.

I've seen them sell on Ebay for $60, last I checked Paul's Guns wanted like $80 or something for one, so I figured supply and demand.

crazed_ss
October 13, 2006, 04:25 PM
Putting a detachable mag on a SKS in CA automatically makes it a banned AW. Even though it would only be one evil feature, there's special language in the law for SKS's.. normally it takes two evil features for a gun to qualify as an AW in CA.

Still 2 Many Choices!?
October 13, 2006, 10:51 PM
Can you still charge the add on 30 round magazine with 10 round stripper clips:confused: ? Seems like a good poor mans AK if so:) .

tenbase
October 13, 2006, 10:58 PM
Yes. I leave my 30 rounder in place and charge it with stripper clips, though that last 10 rounds is a b**** to load so I normally just stoke it with 20.

Mr White
October 14, 2006, 08:00 AM
I've tried a few aftermarket 30's and most of them are junk.

The only one I've found that feeds reliably in my Yugo and my Norinco is a Zytel mag made by Cobray. I have only one. If I ever come across any more at a gun show or store, I'll buy a few more.

dfaugh
October 14, 2006, 09:59 AM
IN GENERAL, these things are garbage, and raise legal issues to boot. I've notpersonally met one percoan that has had success getting them to work reliably. Stripper clips on a Yugo (or most others are the way to go--if you practice you can load REAL fast.

If you bought a Model "D" or "M" SKS, Also known as a "Sporter",
made by Norinco, it came from the factory, built to use the same
30 round Magazines as an AK47.
And, On these models it works just fine, every time. No Problem.

I'm not sure where they stand "Legally".

I have an SKS-M which works flawlessly with every different type of AK mag (except drums, which won't fit with out modifying the stock). They are legal most places(and I live in NY where the AWB still exists), because they don't have any other "evil features" except the detachable mags (no bayonet or grenade launcher, no pistol frip (you can change teh stock, like mine to a "Dragunov" style, just not a full pictols grip). These also have the
shorter "paratrooper" barrel, makes for a handy rig.

But, if you MUST have an SKS that takes detachable Mags, find a -D or -M model. About the price of an AK, maybe a little less, but more accurate by far.

patriot2980
October 16, 2006, 10:59 AM
Thanks for all the input. I'm going to leave it alone. As is.
I like just the way it is. If I want hi-cap I'll get an AK. Which is in the works right now. And I apologize for calling it a clip and not a mag. I'm a country boy. Clip...mag.....you should all be glad I even know how to operate the computer.

SKYWLKR
March 21, 2007, 10:31 PM
I picked up a bubba'd SKS and I went digging for my treasure...

One New, unused, in cosmoline Red star 20 round fixed and one 20 round non star stamped fixed 20 rounder.

The non stamped one is MUCH nicer as far as machining and finishing and it has a very stiff spring.

The redstar had a lot of cosmoline in it and the arm was sharp as a razor, I filed the sharp edges on the arm and bent it a bit straighter.

any other tips to ensure a shorter tuning period?

and what is the non stampped one?

1911JMB
March 21, 2007, 11:23 PM
The new poly 20 round SKS mags made by Tapco work just fine in my buddies Yugo, and I haven't heard bad things from anybody else either.

gezzer
March 22, 2007, 01:08 AM
30 rounderís = JUNK spend your money on Strippers clips and ammo.

When you want 30 rounderís get an AK type cheaper in the long run with no disappointments.

49north
March 22, 2007, 01:43 AM
The bolt of an sks can be modified to accept hi-caps and have no functioning problems..at least for me. The bolt is reconfigured by removing some metal off the sides towards the bottom as in the bolt off a d or m model sks. Takes a few minutes and works just fine and also allows one to reinstall the original ten round box with no function problems. Or just buy an extra bolt...you do not change the head or headspace..only the side of the bolt.

tnieto2004
March 22, 2007, 02:03 PM
BUY AN AK!!! .. or learn stripper clips

tinygnat219
March 22, 2007, 02:07 PM
Get an AK if you want to use 30 round magazines. Using them on an SKS is going to make it jam constantly.

Hokkmike
March 22, 2007, 02:13 PM
My one 30 round magazine for the SKS did jam.

GregZ
March 22, 2007, 03:10 PM
Like everyone else has said the 30 round detachable mags are junk, and they are a pain to insert into the weapon. I am quite happy with my 20 round fixed mag.

Bazooka Joe71
March 22, 2007, 03:51 PM
I just found a chinese 20rder for $15, and it works like a charm...A fellow THR'er in the name of Ditchtiger, selflessly sold it to me for what he paid for it...Just look around long enough and you can find one for under 60. But I've never heard anything good about detachable mags other than Tapco.

Plink
March 22, 2007, 05:42 PM
I've been tinkering with a stack of SKSes for about 20 years now. One thing I've learned is if you want an AK-47, buy an AK-47 and it'll cost you less in the long run. There's really no effective way of turning the SKS into one.

All of the aftermarket 30 rounders I've tried, and I've tried most if not all of them, have been unreliable. Tapco makes a newly designed polymer 20 rounder that works pretty well though, once you get it fitted properly. The best luck I've had with SKS mags was with the Red Star 20 round fixed mags.

I think one of the strengths of the SKS system is the stripper clip loading, actually. They're almost as fast to load with as removeable mags, and a lot less costly. They let you cheaply store a lot of ammo and you can carry more ammo on strippers than you can in magazines. I guess that's why I liked the Red Star 20 round fixed mag. Good capacity and the ability to use strippers.

I've converted all but one of my guns back to the original 10 round magazine and they just work better like that, for me anyway.

If you enjoyed reading about "30 round clips for SKS: What's your opinion?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!