Rifles for Bear hunting in Mass

PDA

Smiley
May 15, 2003, 03:16 PM
I am a little confused. Can you hunt bear with a rifle in Mass?? I looked at the 2003 abstracts and it says that bear can be taken with rifle above .23 caliber. I thought Mass didn't allow rifles for hunting.

I am kind of interested in Bear hunting with a pistol, but if Mass allows rifles then I would try that first.

And if mass does allow rifles for bears what do you use??

I have a savage .308 but I think that this might be a good reason to get another rifle

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifles for Bear hunting in Mass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cratz2
May 15, 2003, 03:30 PM
Must be some small bears if they allow a .243 to be used on them. ;) And while I know nothing at all about Mass hunting regs, is there any chance that they only allow 'approved hunters' for population control? Just a thought.

For some reason, when I think of bears, I think of lever guns. If I were wanting to get a new rifle, I might look at a heavy Marlin in 44 Magnum or 45 Colt. 45-70 if you want a bigger boomer than that. With bolt guns, I would think your .308 with controlled expansion bullets (Partition, X-Bullet, Trophy Bonded, FailSafe) would work fine if they allow a 243 to be used. Truth be told, you'd probably be fine with some Winchester Power-Points.

GooseGestapo
May 15, 2003, 04:09 PM
Use the same thing Teddy Kennedy uses for "dear", a '68 Olds (or is it a Buick?)
(sorry, I just had to throw that in, my wife's from Tax-a-chusetts). Believe it or not, the largest gun-kill bear in Georgia was killed with a single shot from a .243, a Federal 100gr w/Nosler Part..
Bear weighed just shy of 700lbs. Largest was killed by bow and arrow !

As with anything, shot placement is essential.

The .308 will be splendid !

KMKeller
May 15, 2003, 04:15 PM
Marlin Guide Gun Model 1895 in .45-70.

Gordon
May 16, 2003, 12:58 AM
Find a .35 Remington in the used gun rack. The .35 Remington is made for bears under 150yds and makes little noise and recoils like a 30-30 and ammo is available. Use 200 grain Remington Corelokts if available.Stay away from 150grain loads. Come to think of it a 30-30 would be good too, I just think the .35 has about 20% more'knock down power' and is available in the Rem 141 pump(among others).:)

WYO
May 16, 2003, 09:55 AM
The .308 is all the caliber you'll ever need for black bear. I have friends who have taken theirs with .308's and no complaints. If a bear chooses me as a vehicle to commit suicide, I probably will be holding a .308. If you just want a new rifle, then, . . . it's a terrible caliber; you need a new rifle!

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifles for Bear hunting in Mass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!