Packing at work

PDA

armedpolak
October 11, 2006, 06:21 PM
So I just started this new job in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I had an 8 hour long orientation, and an hour of it was sexual harasment :barf:

Anyways, I got a large booklet listing all the company policies, and no mention of CCW in it. I noticed we have armed guards at the main lobby.

SO what do you guys think? Should I go to the HR and ask ?
Or is it save to assume that there is no policy, so I'm free to exercise my rights (as soon as I get my friggin CCW permit from the state of FL :cuss: can't wait!)

P.S. Not a single "no guns allowed" sign anywhere either.

If you enjoyed reading about "Packing at work" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Henry Bowman
October 11, 2006, 06:25 PM
Read and re-read the policy booklet. Look for other places that a company policy might hide (like an intranet site). If not otherwise prohibited, carry (with discretion) in accordance with state law. Keep it concealed and your mouth shut. What is to be gained by asking?

wdlsguy
October 11, 2006, 06:27 PM
Should I go to the HR and ask ?
No! It's easier to get forgiveness after the fact than permission before the fact. It doesn't sound like you are breaking any laws or policies anyway.

salvador31c
October 11, 2006, 06:29 PM
You might want to ask HR or your Manager if you cant find a weapons policy it might be ok I used to leave my hand gun in the car while working and my manager was ok with it as long as it was in the car while i was working but she let me carry a pocket knive oh my bad utlitiy knife :evil: most companys have a no weapons policy so you want to make sure as it is grounds for dismissal in some cases

carebear
October 11, 2006, 06:33 PM
There was no policy at my company so I carried. Don't do their work for them. Eventually some other jerk screwed up and they created a policy so I had to stop. Don't give them any ideas.

If there is no Fed, state or local law and no published (thus legally binding) company policy carry and keep discrete about it. No policy, they can't fire you for breaking one.

I have a general policy for situations like this, I don't ask questions that might open a can of worms I don't want.

armedpolak
October 11, 2006, 06:34 PM
I searched the entire Policies and Procedures section of the company internal website, especially the Legal section, and no mention of anything. NO signs on the buildings. NO signs on the company parking lot. And NO documents about it available on the company site.

So what do you think?

carebear
October 11, 2006, 06:40 PM
If it is state legal, Carry. Just keep it discreet; very, very discreet.

If you scare some ninny (not even by doing anything, just if they get wind there's a "gasp" gun in the building) and they complain I can almost guarantee you'll have a policy faster than you can spit.

There may be other folks there carrying now. Don't screw it up for them (not that you would, just be real discreet).

salvador31c
October 11, 2006, 06:43 PM
if u couldnt find any weapons policy in manual which it would normally be or any posted policys and signs in break areas and employee areas u might be in the clear to carry

RNB65
October 11, 2006, 06:43 PM
If you're sure there's no policy prohibiting it, then you can carry with no fear (assuming you have a CCW license). But you can be certain that the first time they discover you're carrying, a no weapons policy will be soon to follow.

shield20
October 11, 2006, 06:44 PM
Go ahead and carry. And remember when you put it on the tank in the crapper not to leave it there.

jamz
October 11, 2006, 06:54 PM
In your situation, I would carry.

My work says that possession of weapons MAY result in immediate termination. I read that to say it may not, too. I'm an optimistic guy. :)

carebear
October 11, 2006, 07:02 PM
Go ahead and carry. And remember when you put it on the tank in the crapper not to leave it there.

There have been threads on the best way to use the facilities.

Mine, LW Cmdr, never leaves my body. Out of holster (where it can flip out), into pocket (can't fall out if shoved down in, try it), lower trou, sit, do business, stand, buckle, reholster.

No possibility of falling on floor or being left behind.

Zundfolge
October 11, 2006, 07:06 PM
can't find anything...So what do you think?
Carry and keep your mouth shut.

Asking HR is a bad idea because once you ask you just shined a bright light on something they missed and a week later you'll end up with a new company handbook with a clear no weapons policy.

carebear
October 11, 2006, 07:13 PM
On a larger scale, look at this as a chance to widen your mindset. As Americans we should never be looking for "permission" from some authority to do things.

We should instead look at whether the things we want to do are prohibited.

If they are not explicitly prohibited, do them if you want to.

If they are prohibited, decide if that prohibition makes sense and is lawful and then decide whether to abide the prohibition (and/or seek to repeal it) or not.

Freedom, not permission.

XLMiguel
October 11, 2006, 07:48 PM
If you have done your due dilligence and have found no policy, and you can carry legally in your state, go ahead and caryy, but don't ask and don't tell anyone.

Green Lantern
October 11, 2006, 07:55 PM
1) DO NOT ASK!
2) Read the policies very carefully
3) DO NOT ASK!
4) Study State law just to make sure you're ok to carry if there's nothing in the policy against it
5) DO NOT ASK!
6) Do not TELL!!!!

I think by now you've got the idea! :D

AirForceShooter
October 11, 2006, 07:55 PM
Shut up
Carry
:p
AFS

zoom6zoom
October 11, 2006, 08:24 PM
As I told one of my friends - "If you can't tell I'm carrying, why should I(tell)?

Tess
October 11, 2006, 08:31 PM
In Lockheed Martin, the policy resides under "safety and security" and creating a safe workplace.

They also think they can search my vehicle. They can try.

Standing Wolf
October 12, 2006, 02:38 AM
Jobs are easier to replace than lives.

ezypikns
October 12, 2006, 08:22 AM
probably won't be taking care of you when you lose your job.

Don't ask. Don't tell. And I wouldn't trust a soul there.

mec
October 12, 2006, 09:25 AM
Unusual not not to find a prohibition in the personell manual of a place that submits you to multiple hours of sexual harassment training at the get go. I'm sure if you ask about it they will oblige by adding it to the employee deportment list. armed security guards. I worked in a state agency that spent huge blocks of time teaching against sexual harassment, and political correctness of all sorts. Naturally any and all weapons were prohibited with the exception of chemical sprays. ( The agency placed their employees at high risk every day.} The security guards were expected to protect the little people but to do so without weapons as the sight of a gun fwightened them.

ALHunter
October 12, 2006, 10:05 AM
Sounds like you have done your due diligence research. Make sure you are legal with proper permit, and carry. Don't ask HR!

I can tell you the phone call your HR Manager will make to their legal counsel 15 seconds after you walk out of his/her office: "Hello, lawyer? Yes, we need you to draft a company policy that prohibits employees from carrying weapons on compnay property."

DesertShooter
October 12, 2006, 10:57 AM
If you're just starting that job, then it might benefit you to NOT carry, at least for awhile. You'll probably befriend a co-worker fairly soon, and if you trust them, you might ask them if they are aware of any such rule/policy that may be "obscure".

You PROBABLY already have a "feeling" about your new job, especially since "No guns allowed" was not pushed into your face during a pre-employment interview. You have also shown "due diligence" by studying the policy literature that was given to you.

If you DO start carrying right away, you probably should figure out how to safely/discretely disarm yourself and stow the weapon without anyone noticing. Remember, one of the "C's" in CCW means "concealed"!

#shooter
October 12, 2006, 12:25 PM
Be careful when reading the policy handbook or website. There may be a policy the does not specifically mention firearms or weapons. I have seen policy that is so broad it included "dangerous items" as a catch all. Many HRs love to be vauge and broad.

txgho1911
October 12, 2006, 02:27 PM
I would bet it is there somewhere. They may have it listed as or under "workplace violence" or "personnel safety". If they in fact do not have a policy I would believe it is a small company and any policy to be had would be verbal or addendum you get to sign agnowlegment for reciept.

Zundfolge
October 12, 2006, 02:51 PM
If you can get the employee handbook as a PDF, you could easily keyword search it for "weapon", "firearm", "gun", "handgun", etc.

armedpolak
October 12, 2006, 03:49 PM
"Possession of weapons or firearms on Company property" can be a reason to fire me.

So they have it on the books. But it mentions nothing about *legal* state permit to carry. I guess it doesn't matter ha???

:uhoh:

P.S. Not even in a car on the company parking lot?!?!? That sucks!

carebear
October 12, 2006, 04:11 PM
Check Florida State law to see if there is a preemption to allow you to possess weapons in company parking lots. A lot of states now have them for just that reason. Florida being a leader in carry laws I'd suspect there is one.

If so, the company policy is technically invalid (though it may take a court case) in any event, law or not, you don't have to tell anyone you have a gun in your car. Make sure you are responsible and get some kind of safe/lockbox so a smash and grab artist can't get your weapon. Hiding it is not a solution, they know the hiding places better than you.

Once my company came up with their policy in August '05, I had to park across the street until Alaska's law kicked in in October of that year.

GhostRider66
October 12, 2006, 04:59 PM
Where the policy hides
In Lockheed Martin, the policy resides under "safety and security" and creating a safe workplace.

They also think they can search my vehicle. They can try.

You should really be careful mentioning the actual place that you work. You never know who else may be reading this board who may actually be under the same heel as you (if you catch my drift). ;)

Tess
October 12, 2006, 06:56 PM
Yeah, GhostRider66, I thought about that.

But some days I don't care <grin>. There have been lots of days lately that if they came in and said "you're fired", I'd fall to my knees in thanks ;)

knuckles
October 12, 2006, 07:35 PM
There have been lots of days lately that if they came in and said "you're fired", I'd fall to my knees in thanks

Spoken like a true defence contractor. ;)

I know the ropes AND exactly how you feel....

Green Lantern
October 12, 2006, 08:04 PM
Check Florida State law to see if there is a preemption to allow you to possess weapons in company parking lots. A lot of states now have them for just that reason. Florida being a leader in carry laws I'd suspect there is one.

Wrong, at least for now.

Still, only a hardcore "anti" or "control freak" place would search without a good reason. My company book says they can only search if they think you're on drugs...

Anyway, note my sig and proceed as desired! ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Packing at work" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!