Advice for a novice: Laws & reulations concerning firearms(handguns) in NewYork

PDA

ClammaCleeta
May 15, 2003, 04:30 PM
hello all,

First off, I can't tell you how grateful I am that a forum like this exists. Just floating through this place I've gained an inordinate amount of knowledge, unparalleled to anyting I came up with even after doing a thousand searches on google or yahoo.

Basically, I've joined because we can all only take so much abuse, and we can only take so much for granted. I live here Buffalo, NY, not a bad place to live, and not excessively violent.
Then there is my apartment building. There have been a number of incidents mostly theft and assault, since I have moved in last September, none involving me, until now.

I'm a college student, and mostly on weekends, a guitarist in a bluegrass/blues rock band. I keep some rather expensive equipment in my apartment from time to time, or at my drummers home. I'm adament about locking all the doors closing the windows, I even keep a beware of dog sign on one of them, althhough there are no pets allowed here. Anyways, as you may have concluded, I was robbed. I overlooked an open window one night, and appearently they cut the window mesh from the bottom and came right in.
Over a thousand dollars in pedal equipment, a cheap acoustic guitar, and a my 13" TV. Thank God I kept most of my equipment at my drummers home, after a gig.
:banghead: But what irks me the most, :cuss: is that I was in the next room sleeping when it happened.:fire: I don't want to idle over what could have happened, but I can't help it. No physical harm to me, but the damage has been done. I asked for info on another local music forum, a member gave me a link for here.

Mainly, I'm looking to keep a firearm in my home as a deterrent and self-defense. But I'd love to shooting at the range and possibly take up hunting.
In NY, I understand shotguns and Rifles are availale for purchase with just a drivers license and a background check, but I would appreciate any and all information anyone could provide me w/ regards to legitimately purchasing a handgun in this state, where I may find training coures, etc. or where I can find info locally. Thanks again................

If you enjoyed reading about "Advice for a novice: Laws & reulations concerning firearms(handguns) in NewYork" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P95Carry
May 15, 2003, 04:48 PM
Welcome Clamma .... can't give you the info straight off but I'd think http://www.nra.org/ could help out ........ there is a section IIRC dealing with state laws etc. Then also maybe re carry .... http://www.packing.org/

Sorry to hear about the loss of gear ...... it makes ya feel sick I know.

Anyways .... if it's info you want, then you have come to a good place........ rare indeed that answers are not forthcoming on most aspects of shooting.

Waitone
May 15, 2003, 04:55 PM
ClammaCleeta,

Welcome to the High Road. Membership rules first. Newbie buys ammo.

Now that we have the ammo out of the way, THR is blessed with a number of NY inmates. They will know your country's laws better than any of us in the USA. Hold on and a few will shuffle by.

NRA-ILA is good
packing.org is good
There ought to be a number of NY based gun clubs on the web.

Good luck and welcome.

ClammaCleeta
May 15, 2003, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the welcome, glad to be here. I'll be sure to check those sites out.........

winwun
May 16, 2003, 08:02 AM
A friend in NY jumped through whatever hoops to obtain a CCP, and it was good only in Saratoga County. He didn't properly take care of the piece of paper, and it gradually deteriorated (he should have had it laminated) to the point to where it had to be replaced, and the official in charge, stamped the new permit, "HUNTING ONLY". My friend said he was powerless to get it reinstated to the original "no strings" permit. I dunno. I'm glad to be in Tennessee. It could be better, but it could be a heck of a lot worse, too! I normally don't have such a defeatist attitude, but the illegitimi can carborundum you to death.

If you enjoyed reading about "Advice for a novice: Laws & reulations concerning firearms(handguns) in NewYork" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!