Anyone deal with stores that don't sell you what you want?

PDA

Lucky
October 11, 2006, 08:59 PM
There's a S&W Victory model .38 spl revolver that I've been trying to get from a store (on the other side of the country) since May or June. The problem is in Canada we have barrel length restrictions, so it's in the 'prohibited' class. But the reason I really want it (besides being an awesome historical piece) is because I already have a bunch of parts for such a revolver, including a longer barrel. I've got the gunsmith who could switch the barrels lined up, and the store, but the store won't budge. I've phoned them a dozen times, the gunsmith half a dozen, and the store simply won't follow through and talk to the gunsmith. The gunsmith tells me that they've tried calling the store, and can't get a response either.

Has anyone had a situation like this? Is it common? Putting aside the different legal systems, is there a common explanation such as, "They lost it and won't admit it." or "They want to buy it themselves." Or something like that?

Scott

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone deal with stores that don't sell you what you want?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
XLMiguel
October 11, 2006, 11:31 PM
Can't really comment on Canadian gun stuff from a legal perspective, but [assuming what you're doing is legal] it sounds like very poor customer service, at the minimum. My condolences.

To answer your question, tho, no, I don't deal with store that don't want to sell me what I want to buy. I am the customer, afterall, and without me, they have no business. Capitalism, ya know . . .

heypete
October 12, 2006, 03:18 AM
I'm curious why the store even has it, if they're not willing to sell it.

I've come across a few things here in the US that's bugged me. Arizona has no waiting period on new guns, but all guns traded in or "pawned" at a gun shop (or pawn shop) have to wait X days (I think 15 or so...) for some sort of check to see if they've been used in crime and are wanted as evidence.

Unfortunately, stores will stock these guns in the normal "used" section without any note indicating when it'll actually be available.

When I want a gun, I do research, call around to find the best price and best service, try out a few on the range or handle them in the store, and expect to buy it on the spot. Going through all that effort only to be told "Nope, you gotta wait 15 days..." is frustrating.

MatthewVanitas
October 12, 2006, 03:50 AM
I mainly dislike stores that don't want my money; it just bugs the logical side of me.

On more than one occasion, I've had pawnshops tell me "we're not really into the gun-selling thing". Huh, coulda fooled me with the shelf full of guns with pricetags on them. I understand that they need to move some products in order to keep their "pawnshop" status (vice moneylender), but you'd think they would enjoy getting some cash from time to time.

On the blunter side, I've had at least one pawnshop tell me "We don't care if you buy or not, we don't need your money."

-MV

Lucky
October 12, 2006, 05:28 AM
The entire transaction is legal, the gunsmith would put the longer barrel on the revolver, bringing it into the 'restricted' category, before I'd ever touch it. The pistol has been on the website for this entire time, they're obviously not beating people away from it. And it's not an easy item to find! And it does need to be that particular WW2 model, because it's what I have parts for.:banghead:

Oh well. I guess I'll put it in my 'fantasy phone calls returned' drawer, next to the multiple faxes I've sent to the feds requesting their firearms importation package.

Henry Bowman
October 12, 2006, 12:51 PM
Assuming that your gunsmith in in the US and has an FFL, couldn't he buy it, modify, and then export to you?

US FFLs are under tremendous scrutiny by the BATFE these days. Any out of the ordinary sale, even if legal, is becoming a risk that may not be worth taking. :mad:

Phil DeGraves
October 12, 2006, 02:52 PM
It is a restricted firearm therefore the store will not sell it to you. That is standard procedure. Just like a store in NH will more often than not, not sell a handgun to a resident of Mass. because so many guns are not "Mass. Compliant". We mail the gun down, and the other FFL holder will not accept it and mails it back and we pay all the shipping. It is just too much of a headache to deal with.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone deal with stores that don't sell you what you want?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!