Teacher Question?????

PDA

BJPZOO
October 11, 2006, 09:07 PM
My wife is an online teacher. She has a digital open house that she does to explain the course to her students. In her personal bio area she put that she enjoys shooting as a hobby. She was asked to remove it so as not to offend any students or their parents:mad: . What's your thoughts on this? Thanks for your input.

If you enjoyed reading about "Teacher Question?????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TexasRifleman
October 11, 2006, 09:08 PM
Does she want work or not?

Sometimes your professional business life and your personal politics just don't mix.

I work for a company that is anti, they post the "30.06 Texas Sign" at their buildings in this state, but I'm not about to walk away from that fat paycheck I spent all those years in school to get to make a political statement.

I kinda like the fact that I'm using their money to buy guns :evil:

JJY
October 11, 2006, 09:27 PM
I have been an adjunct at some local colleges and have witnessed first hand “over-sensitivity.” I think, however, that it goes back to the thread discussion of an employer’s ability to control their work place. Accept it or find anther job.

Euclidean
October 11, 2006, 09:52 PM
When you're dealing with the public in such a capacity, every detail of your person may be scrutinized including where you were seen last Saturday.

I'm not saying it's wrong or right, just that's how it is.

"Shooting" sounds ominous and scary to that dangerous minority of lawsuit happy tree hugging parents. If ever pressed, I mention "marksmanship" and leave it at that.

RioShooter
October 11, 2006, 10:06 PM
I am a classroom teacher and the students frequently ask me about guns. This could be because I use a picture of a Walther P-1 as the wallpaper on my desktop computer.

Today one kid said the gun was ugly. I politely disagreed. Another student asked me if I owned any guns. When I replied, yes, he asked what I use them for. I told him I use them for competition and self-protection.

He told me that on his family's ranch in Mexico they use a 12 ga. for protection. I told him that was a good choice.

Kim
October 12, 2006, 12:01 AM
Oh I don't know why do some automatically take the liberal view of this being political in nature. What if she had down she liked roller skating. Do not bend to PC pressure. I would want to know why they think someone would find it offensive compared to other sports or skills. If it is a University I would scream FREE SPEACH MAN. Liberal clap trap is all over University teachers web pages, writings, rantings and bio's. Maybe you can get big bucks in a civil rights suit if that is the case. Play the courts like the libs do. Speak truth to power, and fight the MAN and all that stuff.

Prince Yamato
October 12, 2006, 01:17 AM
Does she shoot students or parents as a hobby? No, I presume. So who the hell is she offending? If it's just a list of things she likes to do:

Hobbies: Roller skating, ballroom dancing, listening to music, target shooting.

Who cares? If anything, it sets the example that responsible people, such as educators (at least in the ideal sense) use guns too (oooh shocking!).

Don Gwinn
October 12, 2006, 01:21 AM
Meh. . . . if it's their website, they have the right to ask that. If it's hers, she needs to decide how badly she wants to work there. In most states, the reality is that they can fire an untenured teacher for little or no reason.

Car Knocker
October 12, 2006, 04:05 PM
Seems to me that anything anyone puts into a bio can be deemed objectionable or offensive by someone, somewhere. Doesn't leave much to put into a bio.

RealGun
October 12, 2006, 04:35 PM
A list of hobbies is irrelevant anyway, as is religion, or political persuasion. All of them only serve to raise objections and do not relate to the task at hand. A bio in that context should have more to do with academic and professional qualifications. Using it to make implied social comments is inviting consequences. Life isn't fair.

If you enjoyed reading about "Teacher Question?????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!