Ability to spell is down the tubes here?

PDA

Mannlicher
May 15, 2003, 07:42 PM
it don look like manny heer kan spel worff a hoot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ability to spell is down the tubes here?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jason Demond
May 15, 2003, 08:26 PM
It's called a typo!:evil:

Old Fuff
May 15, 2003, 09:08 PM
As long as I can understand what the person is saying I don't care about the rest. It's the message that counts, not how the words are spelled ... spaled ... spleed .... Oh, what the heck.

J Miller
May 15, 2003, 09:23 PM
Altho it's the thought that counts, and if you can understand it, then the thought is conveyed.
However spelling, punctuation, grammer, and capitalization are important. They make understanding the text you are reading that much easier.
I am not a spelling, grammer, punctuation, or capitalization expert. But I try as much as I can to do it right.

And for the life of me, I still can't get my message across a lot of the time.:banghead:

BigG
May 15, 2003, 09:27 PM
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word." Andrew Jackson :D

illuminatus99
May 15, 2003, 09:33 PM
poor spelling has always been a big pet peeve of mine, although not as bad as people who use big words to sound smart without knowing what those big words mean.

John G
May 15, 2003, 09:38 PM
"Ability to spell is down the tubes here?"

If by "here" you mean "on the internet", then yes. :D

Standing Wolf
May 15, 2003, 09:52 PM
Speaking strictly as a guy who's made his living as a writer and editor since 1966: if writing ability were half as common as lots of people apparently believe, I'd have had to find another form of employment.

The last time I hired a writer, the H.R. people handed me a stack of about fifty résumés and cover letters from prospective writers. Every least, last one contained at least two or three typographic errors, misused words, grammatical howlers, gross violations of fundamental style, et cetera.

I hired the least incompetent of the bunch, and spent a considerable amount of time teaching him the basics.

cratz2
May 15, 2003, 10:13 PM
I know were not supposed to critique other members on things such as spelling but some guys, one controversial member in particular comes to mind (.30 caliber is ideal for handguns :rolleyes: ) that has silly mistakes so often, I almost feel sorry for him. He's probably sitting in his bedroom in his parent's house trying to convince us all of his extreme in-field experience and there are so many spelling and grammar issues it's almost a challenge to take him seriously. :p

We all make mistakes... I just hate it when I see one of mine but it's in a post too old to edit. :mad:

QuarterBoreGunner
May 16, 2003, 12:43 AM
I cheat; if it's a post over two sentences I compose it in MS™ Word™ and then cut and past into the window.

I cringe when I see some of the descriptions on gunbroker.com et al.

Worst example so far: 'satle wring carbing'... took me a good three minutes to decipher.

Plus composing in Word™ makes inserting really annoying symbols really easy. © ® §

:D

CZ-75
May 16, 2003, 03:52 AM
I almost feel sorry for him. He's probably sitting in his bedroom in his parent's house trying to convince us all of his extreme in-field experience and there are so many spelling and grammar issues it's almost a challenge to take him seriously.

This guy wouldn't own a Browning product in 9mm, would he?

winwun
May 16, 2003, 08:26 AM
J Miller, I agree with you 100%. The idea is to communicate. Function comes B-4 form. I have posted this somewhere else, can't remember exactly where, but I saw a list of the 10 most commonly misspelled words, and chuckled to myself, "How could anyone NOT spell those right?!?" I misspelled 8 of them.

Mal H
May 16, 2003, 09:42 AM
Careful everyone (cratz2 and CZ-75), let's not get into dissing any member on THR in this thread or any other, no matter how much you might disagree with their comments or ideas.

jthuang
May 16, 2003, 10:48 AM
One of my favorite t-shirts from college, which was printed by a local dry cleaner:

"University of Pennsylvania. Weer from tha Ivee Leeg."

I hope I still have that shirt somewhere, that's a classic. :)

Justin

Gmac
May 16, 2003, 11:49 AM
Consider the words "burro" and "burrow": one is an ??? & the other is a hole in the ground-------- if you can't spell will you know the difference?????:D :D :D

cslinger
May 16, 2003, 12:19 PM
The time for revolution is now......BAD SPELLERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE!!!!!!!

BrokenPaw
May 16, 2003, 12:21 PM
QuarterBoreGunner: I cheat; if it's a post over two sentences I compose it in MS™ Word™ and then cut and past into the window. [emphasis mine]Even doing that, you can still get burned when you spell the wrong word correctly. ;)

I tend to be obsessive-compulsive about my own spelling and grammar because I feel like a fool when someone points out a mistake I've made. In general I avoid nitpicking others about their spelling, because it's just rude. [0]

However, good spelling and grammar in a forum like this can be important, because the opposition would love to paint us all as knuckle-dragging illiterate beer-swilling degenerates. They can't fight us with the facts, so they fight us other ways; every time one of us makes any kind of mistake, it's a potential tool for them to continue to portray us all in a bad light.

-Bprayingthatthispostiserror-freeP

[0] QBG just gave me a setup that was too perfect to pass up. :D

QuarterBoreGunner
May 16, 2003, 12:43 PM
BrokenPaw- ACK! guilty.

I also think that spell check is degrading my spelling ability.

Plus Word's dictionary doesn't know squat about guns.

BrokenPaw
May 16, 2003, 12:58 PM
I also think that spell check is degrading my spelling ability. In general, I believe that tools that do our thinking for us cause our skills to atrophy. My 11-year-old daughter is forever gritching about the terrible burden we've placed upon her shoulders by not allowing her to use the automagic spell-checker that comes in MS Word. She has horrible spelling, and we're making her work without the thing, and then we're proofing it for her, and making her use the dictionary to actually look words up, to figure out how to spell them. Because there won't always be a word processor around, like when she's taking an essay test at school.

My basic philosophy is that you should practice without unnecessary assistance, and then if you choose to have assistance as a matter of convenience, once you've learned the skills, that's your choice.

Write with a spell-checker before you've learned to spell? Nope.
Use a spell-checker to catch typos and to help you avoid missing an error when you proof? Sure.

Use lasergrips on your carry weapon when practicing? Nope.
Have lasergrips on your carry weapon after you've learned to shoot with iron sights? Sure, if you like. [0]

[0] Gratuitous gun-related canard

tyme
May 16, 2003, 03:47 PM
I used to use spell checking. I still do before I send out emails to journalists and important people, but I've started looking up any word of which I'm remotely unsure in the dictionary (grep foo /usr/dict/words :) ) It's fast, and I actually learn to type words correctly rather than having the computer fix them for me.

sm
May 16, 2003, 04:36 PM
Guilty.
I made straight A's in spelling and vocabulary growing up. Took typing on a manual typewriter in the 9th grade.( That's all we had in the old days)

I then became lazy with symbols and abbreviations , retail at first, then some classes in college. I never spelled some words, like "change", that was what the Delta was for.

Then these new-fangled computers became such a part of everyday life, and a requirement at school...I'm having to get my typing back to speed...and I'm ashamed I let my spelling go...I use typo's as an excuse...and ACCESS...

If you enjoyed reading about "Ability to spell is down the tubes here?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!