Grips for Square-Butt N-frame

PDA

wanderinwalker
October 12, 2006, 03:52 PM
Just what the title asks. I have had this wonderful shooting S&W 629-1 for about 2 years now, and just love everything about it except the nylon Hogue finger groove grips on it. They're OK, but annoying for fast DA shooting with light loads. Reason: My hands are small, so the grooves don't line up right. And the hard nylon doesn't give much purchase with the poor fit.

So I'm wondering what everybody would recommend for a smooth, open-back grip for a square-butt N-frame. I like the looks of the Pachmyer Presentations, but they look tapered wrong. I like the Miculek grips on the 625JM, at least in appearance. I'd rather have the gap behind the trigger guard filled, but maybe it would work better without.

Anybody, please? I don't want to drop down to a K/L-frame because I really, really like N-frames (learned revolvers on grandad's old Highway Patrolman) and want to continue shooting it!

Thanks all!

If you enjoyed reading about "Grips for Square-Butt N-frame" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cmidkiff
October 12, 2006, 04:05 PM
I have a 29-2 that I'm getting ready to purchase some new wood for. I have decided on Ahrends grips.

http://ahrendsgripsusa.com/

ClarkEMyers
October 12, 2006, 04:38 PM
for small hands Herrett's detective series or another specialty small grip

Deanimator
October 12, 2006, 05:12 PM
Just what the title asks. I have had this wonderful shooting S&W 629-1 for about 2 years now, and just love everything about it except the nylon Hogue finger groove grips on it. They're OK, but annoying for fast DA shooting with light loads. Reason: My hands are small, so the grooves don't line up right. And the hard nylon doesn't give much purchase with the poor fit.

I had a set on my 25-2 and had the same problem.

Try a set of the soft Hogues. Those should be just fine.

Another choice would be the Pachmayr "Gripper Professional", which has an open back. I have those on my Model 27.

http://www.pachmayr.com/pachmayr/index.htm

JoeHatley
October 12, 2006, 05:33 PM
Order a set of wood Hogue grips, and have them delete the botton finger groove. Makes for a very nice double action grip.

BTW: Their checkered Kingwood is stunning on a stainless gun.

Joe

wanderinwalker
October 12, 2006, 06:46 PM
Joe,

That's what I think when I hold it now; these would be great WITHOUT the lower groove. It's tempting to take a Dremel and reshape the ones I've got for now.

cmdikiff,

Thanks! Those looks awesome! I think a set of the retro-targets in cocobolo may come in for the spring season! Wow!

Thanks all, I'll let you know what I decide to do.

Jackal
October 12, 2006, 07:02 PM
Pachmayer Presentation grips were by far the most comfortable grips I ever tried on my 629. The Grippers are way too narrow and gave me very poor finger and hand placement.

Deanimator
October 12, 2006, 08:55 PM
Pachmayer Presentation grips were by far the most comfortable grips I ever tried on my 629. The Grippers are way too narrow and gave me very poor finger and hand placement.
I have guns with both. I like both. My 4" Model 29-2 is painful with the Presentations when I shoot Winchester 240gr. white box Magnums. It's just not as painful as with the S&W "target" grips.

carpettbaggerr
October 13, 2006, 01:44 AM
It's tempting to take a Dremel and reshape the ones I've got for now.Why not? Hard Nylon can be worked much like wood. Don't need a Dremel, though. Get a rasp, file and some sandpaper, and it'll soon fit your hand better than anything you could buy....

Starter52
October 13, 2006, 09:20 AM
+1 for the open-backed Pachmayr grips. All my N-frame revolvers wear Pachmayrs.

Mike Sr.
October 17, 2006, 11:46 AM
There was a X when i shot my 4-screw 29, 300-500 rounds a week: I "rolled" my own load with home made 250 grain hard cast bullets. I hated the factory grips...wow...did they bite the web of my shooting hand. I changed to Pacmayr Presentation grips and have NEVER looked back.

I 'think' there are two sizes I have the larger size. I've small hands.

One time I ordered those Hogue's, tried them and set them back the SAME DAY!!!!!

earplug
October 26, 2006, 01:58 PM
Both my K and N frame stocks get worked over.
I tend to slim down the Hogue's and put finger dimples on the Presentation.
Cheaper then buying new stuff hoping it might work.

If you enjoyed reading about "Grips for Square-Butt N-frame" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!