What's the best way to clean a polymer handgun?

PDA

crazydog
October 12, 2006, 05:17 PM
Just bought a used XD9, and I was wondering how to clean it, including the frame.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the best way to clean a polymer handgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
halfacop
October 12, 2006, 05:22 PM
Depends on how clean your talking. Ifts its just a "I shot a few rounds and want to clean it up" clean then a basic strip down and wipe her down with a oil cloth, swab the barrel and your done.

If your looking for a more deep cleaning cycle, like after a huge weekend at the range or something, they make poly dunk kits. Its basically a chemical hottub for your firearm. You just unload it and dunk it in for a minute or two.
She comes out nicely degreased and clean.

Congrats on the new tupperware,

Doug

Seven High
October 12, 2006, 07:44 PM
Put it in the top rack of the dishwasher.Let er rip!:)

Otherguy Overby
October 12, 2006, 08:02 PM
Disinfect, place in trash bag, leave out on trash day... :neener:

Marshall
October 12, 2006, 08:10 PM
Heat. :evil:

gunguy05
October 12, 2006, 08:21 PM
Use the normal solvent mixture, I like Hoppes, to clean all of the residue off of the metal parts. I have heard of, but not actually tried, great results with the Simple Green/ water mixture. I have not tried the stuff specifically for gun but it works great for ther stuff. DO NOT!!! Under any circumstances use the dishwasher. I got that straight from a head armorer instuctor of another famous polymer pistol. It will rust and corrode. Just my 2 cents.... Make sure that when you are done you put a very light coat of oil on all of the metal parts including the slide. Very light translates into you can see it and barley feel it!!! Do not oil the firing pin raceway, it will just collect dirt. Oil the barrel, the rails, the trigger bar/ striker connection with a drop of oil each.

EdLaver
October 12, 2006, 08:28 PM
anybody have more info or detail on "poly dunk kits"? Personal experiences? I have read about them but never really trusted using it.

orionengnr
October 12, 2006, 10:02 PM
Many Glock owners pride themselves on never cleaning their pistols.:rolleyes:

My Kahr PM likes Eezox for cleaning, lubricating, protecting (CLP) duties.

Others can tell you more about polymer HKs, XDs, etc.

10-Ring
October 13, 2006, 12:47 AM
Cleaning is one of those things that constantly evolves in my shooting routine. I'm always in search of the easiest way to get it done - quickly & efficiently.
Lately, it's been solvent, patches and a brushes...and a dose of patience

berettaman
October 13, 2006, 01:32 AM
The often overlooked soap and water and a soft tooth brush does the trick for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the best way to clean a polymer handgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!