Hoppes #9

PDA

rangermonroe
October 12, 2006, 05:11 PM
Despite its aluring aroma, and the phenominal effect that it has on women's libido, it should not be used as cologne, nor as aftershave.

I should not be questioned as to how I came to be in possession of this information.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hoppes #9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hoppy590
October 12, 2006, 05:54 PM
yes, and cosmoline stains on the crotch of your pants dont bring in the ladys much either.:(

*Eagerly awaiting the "Hoppes #9 Air freshner"*

Sisco
October 12, 2006, 06:12 PM
If you soak one of those little tree shaped air freshners in it your car will smell like you've been cleaning guns in the woods. :)

knuckles
October 12, 2006, 06:30 PM
Despite its aluring aroma, and the phenominal effect that it has on women's libido, it should not be used as cologne, nor as aftershave.

Alright Tackleberry.....

springmom
October 12, 2006, 08:57 PM
Inquiring minds want to know:

HOW DID YOU FIND OUT ABOUT HOPPE'S AND COLOGNE???

Springmom

ArcherandShooter
October 12, 2006, 09:36 PM
I took my troubles down to Madam Ruth,
You know the gypsy with the gold-capped tooth.
She's got a pad down at 34th and vine
Selling little bottles of Hoppe's Potion Number 9.

I told her that I couldn't shoot my gun
It's been this way since nineteen eighty-one
She looked down the breech and she made a magic sign
Said what you need is Hoppes Potion Number 9.

She bent down and turned around and gave me a wink
She said, "We're gonna scrub it out right here in the sink"
It smelled like turpentine it had a terrible stink
I held my nose, I closed my eyes, I couldn't think.

I didn't know what all that black stuff was
So much was in there it was growing fuzz.
And when I reached the end and the barrel had a shine
I'd used up all my bottle of Hoppe's Potion Number 9.

Hoppe's Potion Number 9.
Hoppe's Potion Number 9.

:)

ProguninTN
October 12, 2006, 09:41 PM
How you got to that conclusion, I don't know. However, I will take note. :scrutiny:

jburks
October 12, 2006, 09:44 PM
Wow... I thought I was the only one who's libido was affected by #9.:D You mean women like this stuff too???:)

Atticus
October 12, 2006, 09:47 PM
Ha ha... good first post ArcherandShooter! That song brings back a lot of memories.

Erebus
October 12, 2006, 10:02 PM
It smells like liquid Dramamine.

cbsbyte
October 12, 2006, 10:20 PM
I never liked the smell of Hoppes #9. It like the smell of WD-40 makes me sick to my stomach. Ask me how I know.

jburks
October 12, 2006, 10:30 PM
I actually love the smell of Ol Number 9. It brings back memories of shooting as a young boy. I've been using that stuff for years.

With all this talk about #9, I think I'll go out to the garage and have a sniff.:what: I think I have a problem with this stuff:)

RNB65
October 12, 2006, 10:34 PM
Try a little G96. A quick shot under each arm and you'll smell quite manly!

10-Ring
October 12, 2006, 11:03 PM
Yeah, Hoppes not a cologne :scrutiny: Funny visual tho :)

iiibdsiil
October 13, 2006, 12:27 AM
Is it pronounced Hopes or Hops?

DirtyBrad
October 13, 2006, 12:57 AM
I've always said Hops, but one of the gun store employees called it Hop-eeze the other day.

Either way, it smells like freedom.

vesmcd
October 13, 2006, 01:37 AM
Good one , Archer..etc.
You're, what, mid to late 50's?
Anybody else here old enough to remember the smell of the old Hoppe's #9?

LadySmith
October 13, 2006, 04:21 AM
You mean women like this stuff too???
Some of us do. :p

ArcherandShooter
October 13, 2006, 09:10 AM
Good one , Archer..etc.
You're, what, mid to late 50's?

I'm old enough to remember the Little Anthony version of the original.

Yeah, mid-'50's (both the song and me).

confed sailor
October 13, 2006, 01:27 PM
guess im the odd one out, i like rem-oil:D

and for those certain occasions 3-in-one

Carl N. Brown
October 13, 2006, 01:44 PM
I've heard it promounced Hoh-peez also.
Someone ought to call the factory and hear
how they answer the phone.

Axman
October 13, 2006, 02:15 PM
I'll call, what's the number? :p

*update*

I went to www.hoppes.com and it is the Michael's of Oregon site. The contact number on the site is for Bushnell Corporate offices. On the phone menu there is no mention of Hoppes.

Sam
October 13, 2006, 02:50 PM
The ladies sure do like it, at least better than the high sulpher cutting oil I use on weekdays.

A little dab and ..............................

Oh we have always called it Hopeez and smiled when we did.

The stuff is an institution:D

Sam

Stevie-Ray
October 13, 2006, 03:53 PM
It still stinx big time. Not quite as bad as the #9 copper solvent, but almost. I use the Elite, now. No more stink.

Except my scores after a long range dry-spell.:D

Hoppy590
October 13, 2006, 04:49 PM
i got a little left from an old OLD bottle of the stuff. its got some smell to it, il tell you that much :D

Mannlicher
October 13, 2006, 04:51 PM
my wife swears that when she first met me, it was the lingering aroma of Hoppes #9 that attracted her. She grew up with that smell in the house, and on her dad and brothers. When she smelled it on me, she felt she had found a guy she could trust. :confused:

CSA 357
October 13, 2006, 10:02 PM
im gona have to try some of that stuff!!!:neener: brings the ladys in and cleans your gun, yall pullin my leg?

springmom
October 13, 2006, 10:48 PM
That's my sweetie, Archerandshooter. Over the last 25 years we've put together several sendups of pop songs, but that one was all his. :p

When he first started cleaning guns with that stuff I thought to strangle him. ICK! But it got to where it bothered me less and less. Oddly just about the time I decided *I* wanted to be shooting too.

You suppose there's a neuropsychological link between the chemical and shooting addiction????? :neener:

Springmom

dragongoddess
October 14, 2006, 12:01 AM
I have found just the opposite effect. It pulls the guys in by the dozen. Next thing you know the lights are down low. Sittin on the couch. Music in the background. And he has lead away patches cleaning out the barrel of my Colt 44 while I clean the K31. And just when he gets near a climax I give him the Walker to breakdown and clean.:what:

LaibYechiel
October 14, 2006, 02:56 AM
Compared to Sweet's 7.62, Hoppes #9 IS cologne. Sweet's 7.62 = the down side of owning a Mosin Nagant.

Peace and blessings,
Laib

tegemu
October 14, 2006, 10:08 AM
Having been a devoted Hopalong Cassidy fan as a child, I call it "Hoppy's."

TimboKhan
October 15, 2006, 04:50 AM
Frankly, any girl who isn't turned on by the smell of Hoppes probably isn't the girl for me.

If girl says this to me upon our first meeting, I will know that I have found my soulmate: "Hey, is that Hoppes? I love that. I also like video games, the Broncos and playing the electric guitar. Lets go shooting some time.". If I hear that, I will immediatly get down on one knee and propose. Immediatly.

Dr. Dickie
October 15, 2006, 05:32 AM
Wait a minute, I'm confused.
Are you saying Hoppes#9 ISN'T COLOGNE?:eek:
Dang, you mean that is what I've been doing wrong all these years?!
Alright, I guess I gotta change my ways. Just do not tell me that Sweet's 7.62 is not aftershave!!:evil:

bumm
October 15, 2006, 11:02 AM
vesmcd was asking
>Anybody else here old enough to remember the smell
> of the old Hoppe's #9?

YES! I'm 56, and the old stuff definitely smelled wonderful! Sort of a sweet aroma. I still have a bottle of the old stuff in a cupboard down in my basement, and I just can't bring myself to use it up. Smells like childhood... :)
Marty

THE DOC 44
October 15, 2006, 01:02 PM
Just got back from the range , cleaned my rifles , stink of Hoppes....heaven!!!!!!

shooter503
October 15, 2006, 01:13 PM
Hoppes is one of those smells you never forget.

Like:
Jet engine exhaust.
Aircraft cockpits.
Burned cordite.
Bacon cooking at camp as you get back from a hunt.
Old dead things.

jburks
October 15, 2006, 01:46 PM
Ok, now I can't resist. I'm going out to the garage to clean my Springfield Trophy Match with #9. Love that smell....

moxie
October 15, 2006, 02:38 PM
one of the smells of freedom, the second actually. The first is burnt JP-4(military spec jet fuel to the uninitiated).

TimboKhan
October 16, 2006, 10:19 PM
I have correctly called it "Hoppy's" for as long as I can remember. However, in our family, it is colloquially known as "Banana Oil" on account of it's pleasant banana-like scent. I still maintain that it is an aphrodisiac.

Shell Shucker
October 16, 2006, 11:12 PM
Hoppes used to smell different than it does now? Really? That might explain why I've had trouble picking up chicks at the nursing home!:)

sm
October 17, 2006, 01:09 AM
I was born in '55, for a timeline.

I was brat, and coke bottles brought 2 cents each at the Mom&Pop grocery store. Later they would bring 3 pennies each.

In the back of Field & Stream, was this little ad for Hoppe's No. 9 , Mfg by Penguin Industries, for 15 cents one could get a trial sample.

I wanted my very own bottle. With help from a mentor I cut out that little add, and he wrote my name and address on the order form. We taped a dime and and nickle on a Post Card he gave me, and we mailed in for that trial sample of Hoppe's No. 9 , manufactured by Penguin Industries.

That was a lot of money for a wee brat, and I had gathered all them bottles and saved all my money and when asked again "Are you sure you want to spend 15 cents on this?" , I thought long and hard, and said "yes sir, I really do".

Mentor had one of them grins that Mentors have.

I waited and waited and waited - I hoped and hoped everytime I saw the mail-man.

Its Here!! My package had come in.
It was so special. I waited to get help from that Mentor to open that package, I didn't want to mess it up, and it was kinda special having a package delivered to ME!

He carefully used his knife, and opened it. I was afraid I would drop it in trying to get it open, so he cracked it open and with his hands on mine we opened it.
It was just like the Hoppe's No. 9 he had, and everyone else had, just my bottle was smaller and pretty neat for a brat.

I had my very own .22 revolver, so with help and using a glass eyedropper he helped me clean MY gun with MY Hoppe's No. 9.

That was the first and last time I used it. It was that special for a brat like me. So he had this nice wooden box, I do not where he got it, but he carefully sealed up my top, and secured it. He also put the package it came in, inside too. It was packed real good. I put that in a real special secure place.

Then he gave me one of his little bottles to have, about half full. Wow! I had a bottle of my very own , just like he did, and all the other Mentors and folks I knew.

I did not waste mine, we didn't have much money and we took care of stuff. So sometimes I would put one itty bitty drop using a glass eye dropper onto a patch. Just let it waft and be happy.

I would do that sometime at my Mentors as they read Ruark, and his works from a Field & Stream to me, I was not big enough to know how to read.

Mentors would do a drop on a patch, read to me and it was real special...still is to me.

I used their stuff, becuase that was the way they said it was supposed to be, even when I got bigger to have my own stuff.

Today...
I assist with kids , we use Ballistol as it is non-toxic. Some adults have been thru Cancer, or have family have been.

Still there is Hoppe's No. 9 for these kids.
It is not showing Penguin Industries , or the next companies name ( I want to say it was Baldwin Mfg, I can't recall right now) , these bottles I gave the kids have Michaels Of Oregon on them.

They have their very own, and have dispoable pipettes. All the kids, have these in a special box to keep safe and secure all put up. They do not get into them. Adults have some they can use at home, or at the range.

We still open a bottle of Hoppe's No. 9, put some on a patch and I read Ruark's The Old Man And The Boy to them.

Smells of Freedom, Memories our Future in these young ladies and gentleman and ...

The lights are dimmed, there is big oil lamp next to Uncle Steve on the end of the couch. As the 10 year old sets down a fresh cup of coffee for Uncle Steve, a 6 year old snuggles up to Steve with TOMATB, the new puppy snuggles in the 6 year old lap.
Some kids snuggle to parents, others are on the throw rug on the floor in front of Steve.
Someone puts a drop of Hoppe's No. 9 on a patch in a ashtray up on a shelf. Hoppe's No. 9 wafting in the air...

"The Old Man ain't much to look at...
"Just pick one bird out of a covey...
"Respect the quail..."

:)

Steve

Big Calhoun
October 17, 2006, 09:25 AM
I fear you guys are missing the opportunity Hoppes gives you. You take that Honey-Do list and tell the wife you'll be back. Go to the range with a couple of guys and shoot of a couple of rounds. Grab a beer and hoagie afterwards. Then when you get home, you just dab a little under the chin.

"Well, Honey, I've been outside tinkering around all day"

If you enjoyed reading about "Hoppes #9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!