Anyone Own a S&W 659/5906?

PDA

Confederate
October 12, 2006, 08:53 PM
I have one and it's always shot very reliably. Just wondered if anyone else had one and what overall experience has been....

Thanks!

http://giguereauction.com/New%20Folder%20(5)/Dsc00274.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone Own a S&W 659/5906?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dtalley
October 12, 2006, 09:04 PM
I have had a 5906 for about 5 years that I bought used and it has been a very reliable firearm.

Alan Fud
October 15, 2006, 06:05 PM
Own both the 5906TSW and the 659 ...

http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/private/guns/f44.jpg

... and am very happy with both.

jayp
October 16, 2006, 09:52 AM
Love my 5906. 100% reliable, I think it looks great. I just ordered a couple of extra factory mags from S&W. I have a lifetime warranty, after all!

I'm gonna be shooting my 5906 for a long time.

dave-o
October 16, 2006, 06:06 PM
Had one for a while but the trigger was REALLY bad. I probably should have had it worked on but in a moment of weakness I traded it for one of those Smith WWI revolvers that shot .45ACP out of half moon clips. SWEET trigger, killer accuracy, all over finger-lickin good. Maybe not worth the same $$$ and certainly not a concealed carry gun but . . . hey, you know, this is turning into a revolver thread. . .

dave-o

OH25shooter
October 16, 2006, 07:12 PM
The 5906 is the standard issue duty auto for many PD's. Mine was always reliable. Never heard any complaints from other officers. Of course, the new M&P40 is now becoming standard issue for departments keeping the S&W brand.

aguyindallas
October 16, 2006, 07:36 PM
I had a 5906 with the square trigger guard just like you have in the pic...even had the adjustable rear sights. It was a great gun. I got rid of it because I wanted to simplify and move to a Glock focused platform. I bought it for $225.00 about 6 years ago and traded it in this year. I got $325.00 for it in trade towards a Glock 19 with factory night sights...selling price was $509.00.

MachIVshooter
October 16, 2006, 07:56 PM
Pretty tough to beat the 5906 for a combat type 9mm. Accurate, robust, reliable, ergonomic. I love mine.

Rating: 10/10.

MD_Willington
October 17, 2006, 12:56 PM
I have one, ran ~400 rounds through it a few weekends back. It's a used gun, but it works very well.

I even mailed a letter to S&W asking them about it mainly regarding the grips that were on it, I was not aware if they were the newer designed, aparently some of the older ones could crack and the gun would not function as the stirrup sits in the base of the grip.

They sent me a brand new curved grip... how's that for service, even on a USED gun, now that's cool... I'm thinking of maybe getting a 69xx.

The gun came with 3 different capacity magazines. 15, 14, & 10... well a quick fix to 1 spring and 2 followers and I now have 3, 15 round mags that function just fine.

It looks like a bit of a beater, but the trigger is pretty smooth. I can't really complain.

MD

isp2605
October 19, 2006, 02:44 PM
I even mailed a letter to S&W asking them about it mainly regarding the grips that were on it, I was not aware if they were the newer designed, aparently some of the older ones could crack and the gun would not function as the stirrup sits in the base of the grip.

That is correct. There was a grip modification made. S&W would provide the new grips free of charge. Newer grips can be identified by the small indent on the bottom of the grip. There will be the open hole but then just a small indent between the hold and the mag well.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c125/ispcapt/guns/5904BUTTa.jpg

Headless
October 19, 2006, 04:44 PM
I've got a 659 - wish i could get curved grips for it :( Reliable gun. No adjustable sights on mine; wonder if i could add them - anyone know? Info is fairly scarce on the 659 now that the 5906 is everywhere

isp2605
October 19, 2006, 04:54 PM
You can have adjustable sights installed on a 659. If you want the winged factory sights it will take a bit of milling but nothing any competent smith couldn't handle. I've seen 2nd Gen S&W with Bomar sights which looked nice. I'm sure there are other sights which could be installed.
As far as arched grips, S&W use to make an arched backstrap for the 459/659. Makes a world of difference in the feel. Makes it almost SIG like. Easy to install.
I carried this 459 for several years including while on SWAT and when in plain clothes. I got the backstrap from Ray O'Herrin, Danville, IL in the early 80s. Don't know if he still carries them or if S&W still has any.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c125/ispcapt/guns/459.jpg

Headless
September 11, 2007, 12:02 PM
Does anyone happen to know if S&W is still selling model 659 curved backstrap grips, or where else would be?

boalex207
September 13, 2007, 01:29 AM
I own a 5903 (alloy frame variant of the 5906). I adopted it when it became an Atlanta Police trade-in gun. It's a little banged up from holster and seat belt wear, but completely reliable. Thought about selling it a time or two, but I have become attached to it.

joab
September 13, 2007, 01:43 AM
I've got the .40 version 4006
It has become my favorite and the one gun I own that I ill probably never sell

A friend has the 5906 that he bought at the same time and has not had as good of luck with his

HE is inaccurate with the gun and is thinking about selling it for $300
I may be buying it

daBear
September 13, 2007, 07:33 PM
I just scooped a near new condition 659 and wondering if any members can tell me its date of birth? Ser No A8686XX
Thanks in advance for any assistance:)
dB

The Lone Haranguer
September 14, 2007, 12:09 AM
My first autoloading pistol was a very similar gun, a 5904. This one had a blued carbon steel slide, a blackened alloy frame (hence much lighter than a 5906) and adjustable sights. It was utterly reliable, with not a single malfunction or part breakage, but I found the SIG P228 to be more accurate (which it should have been for $200 more;)).

tgfang
September 14, 2007, 07:20 PM
I had a 5906 for a few years. It worked very well. (I traded it for a S&W revolver).

Tom

Mr Kablammo
September 15, 2007, 01:31 AM
If you want grips or other parts for the S & Ws, order the Brownell's catalog. It has loads of stuff for all kinds of stuff.

Confederate
February 20, 2008, 01:46 AM
There was a grip modification made. S&W would provide the new grips free of charge. Newer grips can be identified by the small indent on the bottom of the grip. There will be the open hole but then just a small indent between the hold and the mag well.
Man, am I glad I checked in, as I have the old grips.

You say they had a tendency to break, or crack? I know that going from my 659 to my 5906, I can feel the grips shift a bit when I pull the trigger. I don't much care for the feel of it, but could live with it. Still, I'll get the redesigned grips.

Two more questions, fellas.

Have any of you broken a firing pin or any other part? An early change they made in the 659 was the little round stop just behind the slide release. Apparently those round ones would occasionally fall out, but I've checked mine and it's tight as a cold tick on a warm dog's hairy...well, you get the point.... I also heard something about firing pins, but haven't had any problems with any of mine, even though I've got three spares.

The round stop can be seen in the 659 (bottom), at
the end of the slide release.

Finally, how long can I keep my hi-cap mags loaded without worrying about spring fatigue? Should they be changed every six months? Every year? And should they be loaded full capacity?

Thanks!

Headless
February 20, 2008, 01:50 PM
The mags I currently use have been fully loaded for more than 5 years and all feed perfectly. I have read over and over that springs are fatigued by use - compression and decompression - not simply by being in either state (compressed or not). The only time a spring would wear out when compressed would be if the spring is being used beyond its design limits.

ImARugerFan
February 20, 2008, 02:34 PM
I have a 639 with adjustable rear sight. Only takes an 8 round clip though :( Bought it on a whim because it was cheap $~250. I like it, but really want something with a higher capacity.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/9084/639ku0.jpg

jsbethel
February 20, 2008, 08:37 PM
The first semi auto I ever shot was a 659. The first semi auto I ever purchased was a square trigger guard 5906. I liked them both although the 659 felt a bit boxy. They were both heavy fully loaded. I sold the 5906 to fund the purchase of a Walther P88 Compact. I currently satisfy the S&W urge with several single stacks (39-2,639,3904,3906). They just feel better to me.

Phil DeGraves
February 21, 2008, 10:28 AM
Great gun

jjohnson
February 21, 2008, 05:17 PM
I've had my M59 for - what, 25 years? I've shot thousands of rounds through it, and it's never been at all finicky about what sort of ammo it eats. The only modification I've felt worthwhile were Pachmayr grips and adjustable sights. Never felt the need to "upgrade" it to one of its later generations, though I did pick up a M3906, and am very happy with that, too. :D

Oh, about the springs - mine are original S&W issue, all 20+ years old, and often get left fully stacked. They still have enough 'oomph' to reliably load ammo. Mine is a 'range gun,' so I don't carry it anymore for self defense. If I did have to bet my life on it, I'd replace the springs with Wolff springs maybe once a year - just to be safe.

Keb
March 13, 2008, 07:10 PM
Your photo, and the two new ones I'm looking at right now....one has a black hammer, the other is SS, but factory boxes have exact same labels.

So why 2 different hammers?

hybridgenius
March 14, 2008, 02:17 AM
I have a 5906. Its never jammed once and shoots great for me. Very underrated gun in my opinion... never much talk about it.

Bridger
March 14, 2008, 02:47 AM
5946 here for work, enjoy it though will definately have trigger work done when I retire

Not sure of what the main differences between the 5946 and the 5906 though, could someone clarify?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/BridgerNY/06-23-07%205946/MoloneLabe0047Large.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/BridgerNY/06-23-07%205946/MoloneLabe0049Large.jpg

b.thomas
March 14, 2008, 04:21 AM
Just got the new version of the 59 series (CA. legal), a 910s about two months ago. Had a few "bobbles" (brand new ,first time fired) till I remembered to slap the old mag on it's bottom, after that 250 + rounds with out a hitch from 4 different magazines.
:D

isp2605
March 14, 2008, 08:21 AM
Not sure of what the main differences between the 5946 and the 5906 though, could someone clarify?

Your 5946 is DAO. The 5906 is traditional DA/SA.

45SemiAuto
May 19, 2008, 09:54 PM
Wow, I guess i can feel better about todays purchase, a SS 5906. I got a Sigma last week, i thought i could do better with a stack of bricks @ 10 yds.
Didnot like the feedback at all from several sources, dumped it before it malfunctioned or broke. I'll put some rounds thru it next weekend, hittin the road at 4am, so i guess i better take a nap.

Thanks

vietnam1947
May 19, 2008, 10:31 PM
I got mine when it first came out. I use it 3 time a week 150 rds on week ends and practice two time a week with 100 - 200 rds, reload with v-n302 4.1 gr under 124gr Berrys HP. Shoot well had a lot of ammo through it over the years, carry it 24/7 every day. S & W 5906 TSW:):)

Gun Slinger
May 19, 2008, 11:46 PM
I have two 5906's.

One has been shot quite a bit (~500 rounds per year on average) since I first purchased it in 1990 and it continues on in the tradition of Timex (takes a licking, keeps on ticking) while the second one languishes in my gunsafe, pristine and unfired.

Back in 1990, I figured that I'd buy two 5906's and shoot the first one 'til it wore out, but as this is written, it would seem that my 3 month old son will most likely inherit the second one in it's present state consdering that the first one shows no indication of failure after 18 years of use.

wristtwister
May 20, 2008, 07:43 AM
I've got two of the Model 4006 Smith law enforcement turn-ins, and they are both great guns. The design and looks of the guns are very similar, and they both run great in .40 caliber. I keep talking myself out of buying the 5906 for some unknown reason, but I've shot them at the range, and they run great too.

I carry full size guns, and consider the 5906 one of the "sissie pistols" (good caliber, low mag capacity) and a scaled down gun. I can carry my 4006 with 11+1, and my SR-9 with 17+1 and LOTS of ammo in clips. The smaller size gun requires carrying and changing more clips for the same firepower.

I like the guns, but not the capacity of them, but they are nice shooters. Any of the Smith "turn ins" are usually $700 - $1000 guns new, and you can send them back to S&W for refurbishing and have a practically new gun for about half price. I've only had trouble with one of them, and it was a nylon spring cover that disintegrated, but the dealer replaced the gun and kept the one that 'went bad" for parts.

I wish the 5906 just had a higher capacity magazine, and I'd be on the train carrying one myself. Nice guns, and reliable.

WT

Headless
May 20, 2008, 09:17 AM
Wristtwister, Are you sure you're not thinking about the 3906? The 5906 magazine carries 15 rounds, which is not anemic in the capacity department... you're talking about only a 2 round difference between it and the SR-9 that you mentioned.

How many civilian self defense encounters do you suppose result in someone emptying 16 rounds from their CCW and needing to reload? I mean seriously, 16? 4 rounds each for 4 people? LOL, i'm having trouble visualizing a situation where someone is attacked by 4 people and isn't shot or maimed before they can unload 16 rounds at all 4 attackers. I don't think 18 is going to make a difference where 16 didn't. But - whatever makes you feel comfortable is what you should carry. I think you're being excessive accusing a modern double stack hi-cap of having low capacity because of a 2 round difference from another gun, though. If you're good with 11+1 of .40S&W, I can't see how you'd take issue with 15+1 of 9mm...

rklessdriver
May 20, 2008, 12:13 PM
I had a 6906 police trade in for while back in the 1990's. 12rnds. It was a pretty good pistol, 100% reliable (with Federal 9BP) for me but... it felt like I was holding a brick. Just didn't fit my hand that well.
I sold it and bought my P226.
Will

wristtwister
May 20, 2008, 07:05 PM
:uhoh: :o

You're right... I was talking about the 3906... the "smaller gun". I really don't have a problem with anything that carries more than 10 rounds, but as a former LEO, a "situation" can turn into a firefight across a parking lot at any time... and the more ammo the better. You can carry ammo home if you don't use it.

While I shoot pretty well for an old guy with bad vision, I'd still depend on more firepower than some assumed accuracy to win the day. If you've ever been in a shootout, you'll understand what I mean. It's a different scenario to shoot at something when it's shooting back... and as the sign says at the gun store... "You can't have too much ammo".

WT

Headless
May 20, 2008, 10:51 PM
unless you're on fire :D or drowning ;)

Confederate
May 22, 2008, 08:38 PM
Your photo, and the two new ones I'm looking at right now....
one has a black hammer, the other is SS, but factory boxes have exact
same labels. So why 2 different hammers?

Occasionally, manufacturers like to plate parts black, or used blued parts, to add contrast to the pistol. In this case, the tactical model was a special edition by the S&W Performance Center, I believe.

I've never been fond of this practice, though, and when I buy stainless, I want all the parts to be either stainless or hard chromed. Lately, Smith & Wesson doesn't like hard chroming parts like hammers and triggers and, as a result, I think their revolvers look like hell (that and the stainless on many revolvers looks like it was finished with sandpaper).

All good things come to an end, and I'm sad to see great firearms like the 659, 645, some of the other Smiths, the Ruger Security-Six and many others come to an end. Newly designed guns have a whole new look that, I suppose, defines the new age, but I'm not very fond of those new looks.

....... http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/jriler/SW645_2b.jpg

....... http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/jriler/659d.jpg

The Lone Haranguer
May 22, 2008, 11:12 PM
The 4006 was the first handgun chambered for the .40, and is still in use (by now in the TSW model) by the California Highway Patrol.

rocinante
May 23, 2008, 08:19 AM
I have a 915 which I believe is a budget model of 5906. Reliable and accurate, feels good in my hand. case closed.

XxB.r.a.n.d.o.nXx.
September 13, 2008, 10:21 AM
just wondering if anyone knew where i could locate an arched back strap prefer in stainless for a 659?

isp2605
September 13, 2008, 10:34 AM
See post #12 for where I got mine. Don't know if they came in stainless. Mine is blacken aluminum. The blackening color could easily be removed which leaves an almost stainless like appearance.
If O'Herron no longer carries it you might try S&W or Brownells.

PX15
September 13, 2008, 11:35 AM
FWIW:

Recently I've purchased a NIB 5906 & 6906 from CDNN..

The 5906 is replacing my Walther P99/AS as my "home defense" weapon.. Not because the P99/AS is not an excellent pistol, but I'm old, vision not so hot, and a big fan of Crimson Trace Lasergrips and while none are available for the Walther, as set IS available for the 5906. Actually I ordered a set yesterday.

The 6906 was bought because it's really just a double-stack 3913, and I love the 3913. I bought a new 3913 in 1995 and my Son lusted after it to the point I've put it away for him. The 6906 will do cc duty when I can wear an outer garment for concealment..

Last week I stumbled on the info that CDNN has a few NIB 3913LS's and I've wanted one of those for a long time, so now I have one of those too... It's extremely slim, and like all 3rd generation Smiths should be absoutely reliable.

Reliability is JOB 1 for any self defense firearm I own.

I sold a Walther PPS to finance the LS... That might not make sense to Walther fans, but I hated the "glocklike" trigger/striker on the PPS. My first PPS was buggy w/ejector problems, and was replaced by the good folks at Smith & Wesson Customer Service. After i got a the new one I still could not warm up to the trigger, but that's a personal problem, not a fault of the pistol. Folks who like Glocks will love the PPS. I don't care for Glocks myself. Again just personal opinion, no offense to the zillions of Glockees..

Funny that in the past 13 years I started out on my compact 9mm pistol kick with a 3913, went through the Sigs/Glocks/H&K's/Walthers/Bersa's/KelTec's/Stars/ect. and I'm right back where I started, and happy as a clam to be here.

I've tried 'em all, (ok most of them), and as an overall package I think it's very hard to beat the 3rd generation Smith & Wesson pistols.

Go figure.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_9825.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_9811.jpg

XxB.r.a.n.d.o.nXx.
September 13, 2008, 12:12 PM
Does O herran have a website...? or how could i contact him exactly? and no smith and wesson nor brownells have them...

Headless
September 13, 2008, 02:20 PM
I tried o herran a long time back and they said they no longer carried those 659 backstraps. Which sucks, because that's the ONLY change i want to make to mine :)

I love my 3913LS too, PX15. It's a great pistol. My boss's wife wanted to get one...i'm gonna have to tell them to check out CDNN.

Confederate
September 13, 2008, 09:55 PM
I've gotten to know my Smith autos like the proverbial back of my hand, and I've gotta say they're one of the most underrated 9mms ever made. All steel construction, flawless design, handsome...okay, a bit heavy...but I know it's not going to be spitting out parts of my frame. My dad's Sig Saur is a nice pistol, but it pinches my thumb like the dickens when I disengage the hammer drop. He later offered to trade me the Sig for the Smith and I agreed only to make him happy. Fortunately, he forgot all about it.

chrismc410
September 14, 2008, 01:58 AM
I just bought a S&W 910, which is in the 59/5900 series family and most simular to the 5904/5906 in most respects. For $230 out the door and its accurate and reliable, you can't do much better. Magazines are easy enough to find of for it uses the same magazines as the rest of the 59 series.

Almond27
September 14, 2008, 02:13 AM
I have a 4006 great gun and so I have heard for the 5906

isp2605
September 14, 2008, 09:45 AM
Does O herran have a website...? or how could i contact him exactly?
http://www.oherron.com/
Doesn't sound like O'Herron carries them any more. Don't know where else to suggest.
I like mine and it's not for sale.

DiN_BLiX
September 14, 2008, 01:48 PM
I just bought a S&W 910, which is in the 59/5900 series family and most simular to the 5904/5906 in most respects. For $230 out the door and its accurate and reliable, you can't do much better. Magazines are easy enough to find of for it uses the same magazines as the rest of the 59 series.

I have a SS 910, which is of the 59 series line of pistols. Id have to say its more handsome and more fun to shoot than my CZ, more concealable also. LEO trade in mags can be had for 19 bucks off CDNN.

XxB.r.a.n.d.o.nXx.
September 15, 2008, 12:00 PM
does anyone know if the 5906 mags work with the 659?

The Lone Haranguer
September 15, 2008, 12:03 PM
Yes, I know. :neener:

They do.

isp2605
September 15, 2008, 12:07 PM
They work fine.

XxB.r.a.n.d.o.nXx.
September 15, 2008, 12:16 PM
good to hear, being i can't locate any actual 659 mags but there are abunch of 5906 mags laying around... :D

XxB.r.a.n.d.o.nXx.
September 15, 2008, 12:21 PM
also one other thing i forgot to ask, if i took the backstrap insert out of my 659 and the grips... could i fit the wrap around grips from a 5906 onto it?

Headless
September 15, 2008, 02:52 PM
Do the 5906 mags flush fit in the 659? Aren't they 15 round vs. 14 round of the original 659 mags?

BTW, someone on gunbroker is selling lots of 5 and 10 14rnd 659 mags for ~15$ each last I checked.

isp2605
September 15, 2008, 03:36 PM
could i fit the wrap around grips from a 5906 onto it?
No.

Do the 5906 mags flush fit in the 659?
It depends which floor plate is on the mag. Some early ones had steel flush floor plates. Later ones had a plastic floor plate that stuck down about 1/4" or less. The ones with the steel floor plates fit flush with the bottom of the grip.

jsbethel
September 15, 2008, 10:19 PM
KY imports has original 659 mags - they also sell them on Gunbroker.

OldSchooler
March 6, 2009, 10:22 PM
I got a 5906 today, in XF condition with 3 mags: a 10 rd, 15 rd and 30 rd. Also included was a soft case and one of those fancy thumb saver mag loader thingie tools. Just a few knock surface scratches show, with little point wear.
BTW - I dont really get the point of the 10 rd. mag. Full size gun, with a short load mag - - wassat all about?!
If I wanted a 10 rd. capacity, I'd opt for something else, you know?
I suppose it has something to do with hi-cap bans or some such drivel.
Is there a way to convert it to 15 rds, or should I just snag a new 15 rounder?

All in cost - $300. Nice gun, IMHO.
I'm thinking high-rise paddle holster as carry.

The Lone Haranguer
March 7, 2009, 10:46 AM
The gun or mags may have come from a state that limits capacity. Just get some more 15-rounders. They are readily available. The 10-round is not convertible - in fact it is expressly designed to not be.

broken
March 7, 2009, 01:58 PM
ive come full circle,owned everybrand but h/k,diddnt like shooting a glock,did the 1911 thing,i keep a 5904 that i sanded that back hump and checkering off to make it straight and stippled the smooth back,now its just right,my 2nd 5904 in 10 years.s/w best bang for the buck.

22lr
March 7, 2009, 03:27 PM
Ive had mine for a year or so, best darn auto 9mm out there in my humble opinion. Never had a single problem with the gun, had a problem with a gunshow unmarked mag but that's not even gun related so in all reality mine has been 100% reliable with no problems what so ever.

http://photos-f.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v349/96/8/581381600/n581381600_1300597_8895.jpg

http://photos-b.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v361/96/8/581381600/n581381600_1300577_1097.jpg

9mmepiphany
September 3, 2010, 02:10 PM
I moved the posts from this year into a new thread and we'll let this one die naturally

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone Own a S&W 659/5906?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!