Rights.

PDA

starsandstriper
October 12, 2006, 09:17 PM
Hi everyone, i am new to this forum, although i have browsed it for some time.I have come to the conclusion that there are many knowledgeable members that could answer my question. I am 15 years old, and will soon take my hunters safety course scheduled in early november. i have heard that if you have parental permission and have completed this course, that in the state of MA you can apply for your FID . If this is true, i would like to know what my rights would be, being under the age of 18. For example, could i purchase ammunition as long as i have a parent or gaurdian with me , even if they dont have their own FID. Or is this FID just a way of being able to register inadvance and have my rights kick in at the age of 18. sorry for rambling on, but i hope to find out the answer and i think you guys will be of great help.:) :) :) :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Rights." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hoppy590
October 12, 2006, 09:54 PM
howdy from another mass-hole :evil:

the under 18 FID is almost exclusivly to allow you to carry when hunting

MASS GL 140-129b
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-129b.htm
(1) Any person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority or any person residing in an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction located within a city or town may submit to the licensing authority an application for a firearm identification card, or renewal of the same, which the licensing authority shall issue, unless the applicant:
(vi) is at the time of the application more than 15 but less than 18 years of age, unless the applicant submits with his application a certificate of his parent or guardian granting the applicant permission to apply for a card;

MA GL 140-130
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-130.htm
Section 130. Whoever sells or furnishes a rifle, shotgun or ammunition to any alien eighteen years of age or older who does not hold a permit card issued to him under section one hundred and thirty-one H or, except as provided in this section or section one hundred and thirty-one E, whoever sells or furnishes any alien or any person under eighteen years of age a rifle, shotgun, machine gun or ammunition, or whoever sells or furnishes to any person under 21 years of age a firearm or large capacity rifle or shotgun or ammunition therefor shall have his license to sell firearms, rifles, shotguns, machine guns and or ammunition revoked and shall not be entitled to apply for such license for ten years from the date of such revocation and shall be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000, or by imprisonment in a state prison for not more than ten years or by imprisonment in a house of correction for not more than two and one-half years, or by both such fine and imprisonment...

sorry but i dont believe you can get ammo, even if ur parents are with you, especialy if they dont have a FID/LTC

starsandstriper
October 12, 2006, 10:24 PM
So i can only carry with a gaurdian with an FID present, because i dont see the point in having my own FID if this is true. Maybe this is just a way for them to get you to spend 100 bucks for an FID and not have it in use for the full six years that it is actually valid.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :cuss: :confused:

another person
October 12, 2006, 11:23 PM
Hmm, didnt know there were other teenagers on this forum. Just get out of there and move to NH. Other than that, I cant help you. Im too used to being free I guess....

hso
October 12, 2006, 11:47 PM
starsandstiper,

Welcome to THR. Plenty of inequities when you're stuck in a state that isn't interested in your rights.

another person,

There are several teenagers that are currently membes at THR. You folks have a unique set of problems as a group.

another person
October 13, 2006, 12:12 AM
How so? You mean we have a problem as in: theres something wrong with us... or the governments handling of us in the Second Amendment sense?

1911 guy
October 13, 2006, 02:51 AM
I think you jumped to a conclusion that hso never intended you to. He's not implying there's anything wrong with teenagers. Rather, that you teens are between a rock and a hard place as far as gun rights. Let's use starsandstriper, the OP, as an example. He's supposed to get a FID, but he's not able to use it to it's potential. Can't buy his own guns, can't buy ammo. The state is just gonna lighten his wallet because they can. Like hso said, the problems aren't because of you, they're because you live in a society that expects you to act like an adult (and you should, unless you're a young teen of 13 or 14) but gives you none of the rights that come with being an adult. The classic example is enlisting at age 18 (17 with guardian consent) but you can't have a beer until you're 21. It's not about the drinking or the beer, it's about equality of responsibilities and comensurate freedoms.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rights." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!