Light kicking .40 round advice needed

PDA

C-grunt
October 12, 2006, 09:24 PM
I usually like to carry heavier rounds because I believe penetration is better then expansion. But...I am having recoil problems with the 180 grain 40 rounds in my Glock23. I can shoot them accurately, but follow up shots are a good 1/2 second slower than when I had my 9mm. Do you guys know of a good 155/165 grain round that will still have a deeper penetration? I have heard that the XTPs are good at penetration.

If this doesnt please me I am going to go back to the 9mm, I just dont want to take the money loss to get a new gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Light kicking .40 round advice needed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ETXhiker
October 12, 2006, 09:45 PM
Have you tried different 180 gr., .40 caliber loads? It has been my experience that in a given caliber, two loads with the same bullet weight and rated velocity may feel different - more snap or muzzle blast - due to different powders, etc.

In a .40, I would think that a 155 or 165 gr. loading would still have plenty of penetration for SD. Not necessarily less recoil, however.

Ultimately, you have a fairly light pistol in a relatively powerful round. Recoil is going to be part of that. If practise doesn't remedy the recovery time, the 9mm will serve you just fine.

Rampant_Colt
October 12, 2006, 10:05 PM
I concur with ETXhiker

You'll have to experiment with different loadings.
Federal makes the 135gr. 'personal Defense'http://www.federalcartridge.com/ballistics/Ammo_Ballistics.aspx?id=402&firearm=2&bc=0.11&muzzvel=1200&bulletwgt=135 ( i do not recommend that cartridge though) Or give the 180 Hornady XTP a try. They're known for deep penetration and the latest ones have flash suppressed powder. From what i understand about flash suppresed powders is they tend to run lower velocity.
Try Winchester 180gr. SXT or the 165gr. Supreme T series.

I think CCI stopped making their 165gr. 'medium velocity' cartridges as well.

Get a 9mm as a last resort and consider yourself well armed.

atek3
October 13, 2006, 08:48 AM
180gr plated over 3.1 gr clays, that's a light kicking forty, I use it in my xd40

atek3

If you enjoyed reading about "Light kicking .40 round advice needed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!