Anyone taken NRA Pistol Instructor training?

PDA

FunYet
May 15, 2003, 08:14 PM
What were your impressions? I'm thinking of taking the training course(s), more or less to add to my list of things I've learned to do. Also want the certification to fill training requirements for a non-resident permit.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone taken NRA Pistol Instructor training?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hkmp5sd
May 15, 2003, 08:24 PM
It is definately worth it. I have the NRA certification for pistol, rifle, shotgun, personal defense and home safety. Being certified gives you access to some excellent information for teaching others to shoot. In the State of Florida, a certified NRA instructor can teach the required safety course for CCW permits. This lets you make a little extra money if you can do so in your state.

Cliff
May 16, 2003, 08:36 AM
Yeah, what Hkmp5sd says. Go after it.I've got mine in Pistol & Shotgun,working on Rifle.The more you teach and make people aware of safety,proper gun handling and the sheer joy of shooting sports,the more your gonna want to do.Keep in mind, There's a lot of folks out there who are certified,carry the card,but haven't done a single bit of teaching whatsoever. Please, don't be in that group. We need hands on instructors out there working to educate people at the grassroots level. If your going to talk the talk,you have to walk the walk. Something to think about.
:scrutiny:

swingcatt
May 16, 2003, 08:46 AM
Depends on why you want it. I can't quite get a feeling of why by your post. It's not worth it just to have it. It needs to be something you intend on using. Your knowledge of firearms will not increase from the course very much...what you will learn is better ways to pass this information on to other people.

I took the Pistol/Personal Protection/Firearm Safety about 10 years ago and haven't regretted it since. If you enjoy teaching people to shoot and working with people eager to learn shooting skills and ways to protect themselves than it is worth every minute!

SC

Mastrogiacomo
May 16, 2003, 08:52 AM
I got my permit back in August of 2002 and my guns a couple of months later. I've always wanted to do the program for the NRA pistol instructor but I don't think I qualify for lack of shooting experience; one of the instructors said I should probably get some more time under my belt and didn't think it was a good move just yet. So what do I need to do?

Mastrogiacomo
May 16, 2003, 08:54 AM
P.S. My reason behind getting wasn't money since I know having the certification wouldn't pay much. I'd like to be able to teach other women how to handle firearms so they won't be intimadated about using them and teach them how to do so safely. Any advice would be appreciated.

swingcatt
May 16, 2003, 09:09 AM
Mastrogiacomo - check email

Quantrill
May 16, 2003, 10:31 AM
I received my training for all NRA Instructor ratings including police back in the late 60's. I went on to become a NRA Training Counsler and I did the training. Any thing you can learn will help you and those you teach. And you never stop learning. Quantrill

May 16, 2003, 12:24 PM
How do you find out where these courses are being taught ? Do you have to do anything to keep the certification current ?

swingcatt
May 16, 2003, 12:36 PM
444, call the NRA @ 703-267-1430 and ask for counselors in your area.

Yes, you have to participate in a training role once a year to keep up your certification.

SC

May 16, 2003, 05:24 PM
Ok, thanks. I don't even know where these courses are being taught, so I guess I would have to look into that before I made a commitment.
My problem is that I don't work a Monday-Friday 9-5 job, yet everything is scheduled on the weekends; as if Las Vegas was that kind of town.

jmbg29
May 16, 2003, 05:37 PM
What HKmp5sd and Quantrill said.

jmbg29: Certified N.R.A. instructor in pistol, rifle, shotgun, home firearm safety, personal protection, and range safety officer. WA st. ceritified Hunter Education instructor.

If we don't teach, who will?

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone taken NRA Pistol Instructor training?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!