How to mount a wallhanger

PDA

No_Brakes23
October 13, 2006, 06:43 PM
My wife inherited an old BP rifle and I am curious how to mount it on the wall. I have no interest in firing it, her grandfather had used it for a wallhanger as well. I cannot for the life of me remember how the old man had it mounted above his fireplace.

Anybody know of any special brackets or other ideas for mounting this?

If you enjoyed reading about "How to mount a wallhanger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MikeJackmin
October 13, 2006, 06:46 PM
I can't speak to the mounting system itself, other than to suggest you use something that will prevent the rifle from tipping on its side. Be aware that it will get quite dusty over time.

You might also want put a rod down the bore just to make sure it's really empty...

.38 Special
October 13, 2006, 06:46 PM
I've used the Ted Cash hangars. Hoppe's make's 'em too; haven't tried theirs.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0006548210349a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=brass+gun+hangar&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=brass+gun+hangar&noImage=0

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0006548210361a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=brass+gun+hangar&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=brass+gun+hangar&noImage=0

Are you a track cyclist?

carterbeauford
October 13, 2006, 07:21 PM
Are you any good with a jigsaw and router?

2TransAms
October 13, 2006, 07:29 PM
Hang it on a set of antlers!

Husker1911
October 13, 2006, 08:46 PM
I use the Hoppe's brass hangers. My 1919 Swedish '96 looks right fine over the mantlepiece.
http://www.uncle-mikes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=9005762

Langenator
October 14, 2006, 01:52 AM
Being an Infantry officer, if I ever reach the point where I have plenty of spare cash and a good piece of land to build my own home, I plan to have a crossed pair of these (http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=9503) over my fireplace.

Still undecided about having a couple of cartridge boxes sitting on the mantle.

No_Brakes23
October 15, 2006, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I am handy with a jigsaw and router, but I don't own either one, (Well I do have a router table fixture for my Dremel,) so that might be a little hard, right. Those all look good, but I like that the Hoppes mounts are offset for the stock/barrel diference.

I will post a pic once I get it hung.

Are you a track cyclist?
A legitimate guess, but no. I got that nickname in the Marines. I had a reputation for not self-filtering my comments, and stating my mind. The term "Red Light Zone" had entered our vocabulary from sensitivity training, and one of my fellow Marines remarked that when it came to red-light zones, I had "no brakes" After that, it was my nickname.

I did just visit my first velodrome, (In Redmond, WA,) last week. I might check out the track races once the rain stops.

carterbeauford
October 15, 2006, 08:02 PM
I am handy with a jigsaw and router, but I don't own either one

I hear ya, same here. Though when I acquire enough long guns to start hanging the nicer ones on the wall, it will be a good excuse to buy more woodworking tools.

I'd just draw a nice curved pattern on a piece of 1x6 pine and cut it, then duplicate it to make a pair of hangers, then route the edges so they're rounded. Maybe use another 1x6 to join them to facilitate screwing into a stud, and stain the whole thing. Doesn't need to be anything fancy.

No_Brakes23
October 15, 2006, 08:58 PM
I'd just draw a nice curved pattern on a piece of 1x6 pine and cut it...
Ya know, I have a 6 13" long scraps of 1x4 cedar left over from a project. I *could* just Dremel them down to shape, though it would be time intensive and eat up my bits.

I think I will look for the Hoppe's hangers, and if I can't find them I will make my own.

BigG
October 16, 2006, 09:49 AM
Brass coat hanger hooks work for me. Get them at the hardware store.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to mount a wallhanger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!