My Grandma told me today that they need to ban Assault Weapons

PDA

Peetmoss
May 15, 2003, 09:25 PM
ACK! I thought older people were supposed to be wiser! :banghead: It was kinda nice to see the look on her face though when I said that if I was to hit her with a baseball bat that would be an assualt weapon too:D (I wouldn' t do it just an example to try to get the old bag to see the light) I then mentioned I had one of those evil guns and I hadn't assaulted anyone yet (guess mine must be broke). Got into the whole speal about how you don't need that for hunting and such. Also got into how criminals are criminals for a reason they don't care if it's against the law, and the situation in England. Heck my grandmother even confused the NRA with the IRA :banghead: Now I know why I dislike most of my family.

On a side note my old man did stick up for me and take the rightous side:what:

If you enjoyed reading about "My Grandma told me today that they need to ban Assault Weapons" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SquirrelNuts
May 15, 2003, 09:29 PM
It has been my experience that age is nothing more than a number.

-SquirrelNuts

TechBrute
May 15, 2003, 09:33 PM
my usual response is to ask them what an assault weapon is, and when they can't tell me ask them what kind of IQ is required to repeat canned statements like "AW should be banned."

Standing Wolf
May 15, 2003, 09:42 PM
my usual response is to ask them what an assault weapon is, and when they can't tell me...

I've tried that, too; unfortunately, the most intelligent response I ever received was, "Aw, you know what I mean, dude!"

Carnitas
May 15, 2003, 09:45 PM
Time to check her into a home and swipe her absentee voter ballot.

Peetmoss
May 15, 2003, 09:59 PM
The thing that bothers me the most is the total disregard for the Constituion. Her argurment was even a misinterpretation of the Constitution. It was a hunting only argument. I have read the Constitution many a time and have never seen it mentioned before. She did however show some promise when I mentioned some of the things happining in England since they have pretty much abolished firearms. She was shocked. I would like to get her to the range and let her in person see and try out an "Assualt Weapon".

George Hill
May 15, 2003, 10:03 PM
"Gee, that's too bad Grandma. I'm going to miss you. Buh-Bye!"

El Tejon
May 15, 2003, 10:07 PM
Did you tell that they already have--several times???

Tamara
May 15, 2003, 10:54 PM
The grim side of this is that, with a whole year to go, this has already popped up on grandma's radar screen. That is Not Good. :uhoh:

huaco
May 15, 2003, 11:13 PM
You just never know what to expect from relatives. My mother is the definition of a Waco, Texas Southern Baptist. She reads the bible daily, always goes to church, and worries about my immortal soul and my bad habits. When I mentioned to her a few months ago that I had applied for a CHL she just said "Your father never went anywhere without his pistol"....end of subject. I drove up and visited her for Mother's Day and somehow found myself talking to her about the AWB expiration and she comes out with "Those liberals really do go to a lot of trouble to make gun owners look like monsters, I just don't understand that". It was worth driving 300 miles just to hear that from her.

Don Gwinn
May 15, 2003, 11:26 PM
She's wrong, but she's your grandma. Anybody who called my grandma an old bag would answer to me.

Of course, my grandma taught me how to hunt squirrels when I was six.

MeekandMild
May 16, 2003, 12:10 AM
Peetmoss, you have my sympathies. My mother is like that on nearly every bleeding heart liberal issue. So I call her on election day encourage her to stay home to avoid all the risks of getting out in the weather among all the mad drivers.

huaco, you need to lighten up, cut down on your drinking and womanizing and LISTEN to your mother!!! You need to kiss her and hug her for me! She is a jewel amongst jewels! I will swap my mother for her sight unseen and throw in my pinko-Democrat-lawyer sister free! :neener:

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
May 16, 2003, 01:50 AM
Too bad you don't have my wife's cousin's mother for your grandmother. She spends all day listening to talk radio and talking to her little nasty rat-dogs. Most of the conversations I've had with her were pretty one-sided- she goes off on G.G. Liddy and how they're trying to take everyone's guns/liberty/property/kids/lives/etc.

Then she gets going on Ken Hamblin and Michael Savage....

She's a real gem...and she doesn't even own a gun.

Too bad she puts cheese out on her windowsills because it keeps the aliens away.

Other than that, she's a real hoot.

Regards,
Rabbit.

"If we could just get everyone to close their eyes and visualize world
peace for an hour, imagine how serene and quiet it would be until
the looting started..."

Feanaro
May 16, 2003, 02:39 AM
Age can make you wiser. But there are ten year olds who are smarter more trustworthy than some fifty year olds.

CZ-75
May 16, 2003, 02:43 AM
Yep, consider all the morons who do stuff like getting their tongue split in half and turn their face into a walking tackle box with all the hooks and rings they have inserted.

Do you seriously think that when they get another 50 years on them that they're suddenly going to experience a massive increase in brain power or good judgment?

Not me.

Too bad about Granny. Maybe she should get tested for Alzheimer's.

Carlos Cabeza
May 16, 2003, 07:21 AM
Keep trying to inform her and she'll likely come around. I love my granny. She gets all fiesty when we talk about our diminished liberty at the hands of liberals. :) She's definitely a champion of freedom !

ahenry
May 16, 2003, 09:17 AM
She's wrong, but she's your grandma. Anybody who called my grandma an old bag would answer to me. Don said it before I could. What happened to respecting your elders? The correctness or incorrectness of an older persons opinion has nothing to do with respecting them. As people get old they typically become afraid. I can’t tell you how many relatives and friends I have known that would have charged hell with a bucket of water in their younger days only to jump at shadows when they got old. I can’t really give you a good reason why, it just happens that way. Realize that and your grandmothers position is more understandable. Empathize with her and your view will fall on more receptive ears. Regardless of how receptive she is or is not, respect her. She deserves it.

Bonker
May 16, 2003, 09:51 AM
There are people with 70 years of experience.

But there are many others who have one year of experience 70 times. Grandma is probably one of these :)

It always astounds me that the generation who saved us from tyranny is often the one trying the hardest to destroy our freedoms and out economy.

Of course with the politicians constantly throwing free money and fear tactics at them it's not too hard to understand I suppose.

"What happened to respecting your elders?"

You should respect your elders. But you don't have to respect their opinion when they want to deprive you a basic right.

The only time you really need to show disrespect is when someone attains a level of power through office, fame, or fortune that enables them to actually make a difference when it comes to diminishing your rights.
In other words, you can call Ted Kennedy and Ted Turner a fat lying, murdering tub of fecal matter, but be nice to grandma :)

If she acts on her beliefs by campaigning against guns or joining an anti-gun group or something like that then all you can do is try to educate her. But most senior's ears closed up shop many years ago so don't get your hopes up.

Bud Wiser
May 16, 2003, 10:34 AM
I think what some of you fellas are trying to put into short concise words is something my Old Man used to speak of in philosophical terms. Whenever confronted by an older person who was just a plain idiot or perhaps an un-enlightened moron, the Old Man would always say:

"Just goes to show, all people get older but most people never get any smarter.":D

And Peetmoss, try to inform Granma of the Truth of what's really going on! Use the Power of the Net young Jedi, and give her lots of Pro-2nd Amendment Print-Outs for her Reading Enjoyment!
;)

Mike Irwin
May 16, 2003, 10:35 AM
My reply?

"Grandma, I love you, but stay the hell out of politics and make me a pie!"

Both of my Father's parents were moderately anti-gun.

How my Father ever became a hunter and shooter is beyond me, but I'm darned glad that he did.

keyhole
May 16, 2003, 11:01 AM
All my grandparents are gone now, but my maternal grandpa was a big outdoorsman, and approved my parents buying me my first rifle. The rest of the family doesn't argue with me about guns, 'cept the wife, who says that I only have 2 hands. I tell her that's what holsters are for!

Now a buddy was going to take all the .22 rifles that the Junior Club has, and drill out a hole in the butts, and fill them full of salt. He was going to make them salt rifles, just to piss off everyone else.:neener:

4v50 Gary
May 16, 2003, 11:19 AM
Carnitas! :D

Pat S
May 16, 2003, 11:36 AM
Why don't you try to enlighten her with facts? Keep the emotional level as low as possible and point out that these guns are only used in a very small percentage of crime that is statistically insignificant. That these firearms are being singled out because of their general appearance and ask what abritrary features in firearms will the congress focus on next? And shouldn't the focus really be on the criminal intead of the tool he uses? When the debate heats up(and it will) and the media begins to distort the truth by showing adds as they did 10 yrs. ago depicting these guns as full-auto machine guns instead of the semi-autos which they actually were, point out the obvious media deceiption to her. I can remember 10 yrs. ago when they ran those adds for weeks with no correction. You can't tell me they weren't meant to deceive and sway public opinion on the vote!

Bottom line: you have to undo the media brain-washing that she has been enduring for years!

Don't give up. You may make her a convert yet.

Good luck, Pat S

Poodleshooter
May 16, 2003, 01:34 PM
I thought older people were supposed to be wiser!
I used to think this as well. Then I realised that old people voted for FDR, and allowed social security, the NFA, most of our government welfare,etc to occur.
No generation has a corner on the stupidity market.

DigitalWarrior
May 16, 2003, 02:17 PM
My Grandma said once "It does no good for the sheep to vote for safety if the wolf does not agree."

She is a wise woman.

ball3006
May 16, 2003, 02:17 PM
He taught me to hunt and fish before I was 10 years old but now things are different. He says he votes straight Republican but I now have my doubts. If a firearm doesn't have Remchester stamped on the side in either 12 ga or 30-30 then the gun is not good for anything and all military arms are junk and should be outlawed. He always asks me what do I need that for? When I ask him why is he driving a Buick when a Cavalier will do the same thing at one third the price, it is time to call a cab and go to the airport.....chris3

Peetmoss
May 16, 2003, 04:50 PM
Good advice guys Thanks. But thinking about it if I see my grandma again it will be to soon. I really do hate most of my family. Most are litterally worthless grandma included. If I could change her mind I would take her shooting but that would be the only reason.

If you enjoyed reading about "My Grandma told me today that they need to ban Assault Weapons" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!