My first day of CCW !!! And my new gun !!!

PDA

armedpolak
October 14, 2006, 02:12 AM
Now I'm just smiling because of it.

I took the criticism constructivly. Though about it. Will never drink while CCW again.

Too bad this lesson had to be this painful.

My appologies to all THR members.

:(

If you enjoyed reading about "My first day of CCW !!! And my new gun !!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
real_name
October 14, 2006, 02:15 AM
BTW, I CAN sit at a table in a restaurant with two separate bars, right? I didn't hang out at the bar, just the table. I know there is a statue prohibiting bars etc, but if the place is both a bar and restaurant, I'm save at the dining table right??? Also, is beach OK for CCW ? It's not like a state park or something? BTW, carry in state parks is legal in Florida, right??? PLEASE HELP!!!

Didn't they teach you your state laws in the CCW class? They did in mine.

Plus, don't think I'm being too harsh here but you went out with a gun you weren't overly familiar with, that you hadn't had range time with and had a few beers, all on your first day of carry?
Seems like a recipe for something to go wrong if you were in a rapidly escalating bad situation.

lionken07
October 14, 2006, 03:25 AM
I was almost in the same situation as you. but I moved to Alabama instead of FL. Nice gun btw.:D

A few things I want to tell you tho, first of all...get a good gun belt!! I can not stress this enough!

Oh and please don't drink and CCW :barf: ;)

Autolycus
October 14, 2006, 04:06 AM
Nice gun. I dont think it is against the law in Florida to have a beer or two while CCWing. As long as your not drunk I believe your in the clear. I am not sure about the beach but I believe that you can.

As for the bar thing... I have been trying to find that out as well. I may end up in Florida for school. If I do end up there I will also be carrying a P2000 in .40 as well. I would also suggest a P2000sk in .40 so you have a BUG that uses the same magazines as the primary weapon you carry.

Congrats on the gun and the CCW. I am from a crappy state as well when it comes to gun laws.

SAG0282
October 14, 2006, 04:08 AM
Congrats! Nice choice on CCW btw!

Black Majik
October 14, 2006, 04:09 AM
Great job, and congrats. Good choice on the HK P2K. That's what I usually have with me also, great carry gun.

+1 on not drinking and carrying. If you ever need to use your gun, it wont look good when you had some drinks to go with it.

Lastly. Thats the most smilies I've ever seen in a post.

P.S. Get flat baseplates, they make all the difference.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/RChang824/HKP2K10-7-06.jpg

DFW1911
October 14, 2006, 04:41 AM
Nice job on the CCW and GREAT advice from fellow forum members: if you are going to drink, don't carry. I know not everyone will agree with this, and that's fine.

If you have to use your weapon and you're under the influence, not matter what level, the DA / claimaint has a lot more to come after you with.

Again, congrats on your CCW and welcome to the club...we can always use more :)

Take care,
DFW1911

Majic
October 14, 2006, 04:41 AM
Brand new gun (hopefully you did get a chance to fire it), nervous attitude, and a couple of beers is not the way to start out carrying a loaded weapon.
I would check on Fla. laws as it seems if the business has a bar that's devoted to serving alcohol on premises then carrying is prohibited no matter which section you are in.
Sounds like you made a few no-no's on your first day out.

tegemu
October 14, 2006, 11:04 AM
Av beer or two and a gun. Are you out of your mind? In Fla we may enter a restaurant that serves food and alcohol but may not enter the bar section of the facility. A predominantly booze joint is a no - no. I STRONGLY recommend that you read and heed the copy of the CWL regulations that came with your CWL.

Tess
October 14, 2006, 11:36 AM
Wow, I have to ditto what others have said.

You got a new gun, and same day carried it, without having fired it?

And without having verified you knew the correct laws?

Sorry, dude, but my sympathy is limited. While I believe everyone should carry, as you can see from my tag line, I expect some responsibility. I don't care if you have a beer or two over the course of an evening, but I expect YOU to know the laws. If you don't know, ask FIRST (only for laws :) )

As CHL holders, we carry the responsibility for knowing we're acting within the law AND our rights.

armoredman
October 14, 2006, 11:42 AM
Go get a copy of http://www.gunlaws.com/fgog.htm Florida Gun owners' Guide. Read and understand. Next, understand that ANY amount of impairment will hang you in court. Three parts to a shooting, preparation, (purchase firearm/holster, practice, get training, etc), the shooting itself, and the court battle. There WILL be one, especially if there is the slightest whisper of you being under the influence.
Last, get thee to a good range, get some good instruction, and HAVE FUN!

symr00
October 14, 2006, 11:43 AM
Sounds like you need to be more responsible when carrying concealed. It's not a fashion item. You're carrying a tool designed to take another's life and save yours.

Before carrying ANY gun for self-defense, you should put at least 100 rounds of your carry ammo through it as well as a couple hundred rounds of ball ammo to make sure it is going to be reliable.

Buy a REAL gun belt if you don't have one already.

While it may be legal to have a beer while carrying (I have friends that do so legally), it's not the best idea on your first night out with a CCW. Personally I think it could ruin you in a self-defense court case should you have to use it.

Stay safe and get some training.

Saiga39
October 14, 2006, 01:02 PM
I'm waiting for my South Carolina permit in the mail. We aren't allowed to carry in an establishment that serves alcohol and I don't think I would want to carry in that situation. To many drunk idiots out there.

Not to pile it on but you really need to go back over the states CCW laws.

R.Edd
October 14, 2006, 01:17 PM
In Texas, you can not carry into a restaurant or establishment with a 51% sign (businesses where alcohol is sold if more than half of their revenue is from the sale of alcohol for on-premises consumption) and it is illegal to carry a handgun if you are intoxicated.

I would visit a range and put at least 500 rounds through the pistol before carrying again.

Nice gun.

10-Ring
October 14, 2006, 02:42 PM
Agreed. Not a big fan of drinking & CCW - what if you had to use your P2k & have to explain your blood alcohol level too...not good.
Anyways, as you get use to it, you'll feel more & more comfy w/ it. It's natural - Congrats ;)

shotgunkevin
October 14, 2006, 03:22 PM
I agree with what others have said about carrying and drinking. Even if legal in Florida, it's a terrible idea. As far as your nervousness about carrying, I suggest two things. First, really evaluate how well you're actually concealing the weapon. Does it print or bulge, even slightly? Get in front of a mirror and bend, twist, and squat. Can you make out the grip? Try different concealing garments: polo shirts, oxford shirts, light and heavy jackets. Dark colored shirts, with a pattern or plaid or some kind of design, are always prefferable to light-colored plain fabric. Fortunately, everybody is carrying cellphones, Blackberrys, and Leathermans these days, so a slight print can be overlooked. Have a ready excuse if you get spotted printing.
Secondly, and I highly recommend this, just get used to carrying the gun, beginning around the house. Put it on, cover it up, and do the dishes, watch TV, whatever. Just get used to it's weight. Find out how much more clearance you need now to go through a doorway without clanging against it (you'd be surprised.) Figure out which notch on your belt is the right one to hold everything stable and still be comfortable 10 hours later.

And welcome to the Sheepdog Club!!

PlayboyPenguin
October 14, 2006, 03:33 PM
Nice job on the CCW and GREAT advice from fellow forum members: if you are going to drink, don't carry. I know not everyone will agree with this, and that's fine.

I agree completely with this statement. Drinking is a choice. If you choose to do it leave your weapon at home.

I am every bit as anti-drinking and driving. I have lost family members (one a 3 yr old cousin) to people that drove after only a "couple beers".

There are some mistakes here...
*drinking and carrying
*public urination (personal pet peeve living in the city as well as being illegal)
*unfamiliar carry weapon
*unfamiliar with state law before carrying (at least know the basics before hand)

Most of them can be chalked up to over-exuberance.

hkenvy91
October 14, 2006, 03:40 PM
:what: anyone ever tell u guns and alcohol dont mix.dont get me wrong no one is bashing u . just a few things u need to learn. me i play it safe .when me and the wife go out to dinner and drinks i either leave it at home or secure it in our vehicle.well any way nice choice on your carry weapon, u should get out and shoot it asap, get familiar with your sidearm. i shot my uspc45 more than 500 rounds b4 i got my permit , i even qualified with it <10-9 ring all day long at 7 yds.good luck n be safe.

your paranoia of being made will fade as time permits, everyone including myself felt like they were printing soo bad at first.lol i felt like a had a giant neon sign above me saying gun holder:uhoh:

Geronimo45
October 14, 2006, 03:48 PM
Most people are nervous about whether they were printing or not, first time around. First several times around, I guess.... that's among the reasons I like a shoulder holster - your cover garment can slip up, down, and round - but it's usually on your armpits.

javacodeman
October 14, 2006, 03:57 PM
Saiga39:
I'm waiting for my South Carolina permit in the mail.

I digress from the thread, but Holy Cow man, how long have you been waiting? I run like a little school boy (okay maybe not that bad) to the mailbox everyday thinking, "It has to come in today."

I'm still waiting.:banghead:

java

javacodeman
October 14, 2006, 04:04 PM
*public urination (personal pet peeve living in the city as well as being illegal)

Why did you infer that it was public? They could have stopped at a gas station "somewhere along the way".

buck00
October 14, 2006, 04:12 PM
This makes me laugh. I saw it coming the second he said the part about having a beer. Armedpolak was all excited about his first day of CCW and new gun. He thought he'd shared it on THR and get some encouragement and a pat on the back- instead he gets flamed for having "a beer or two."

Armedpolak, if you were looking for a friendly, softball thread you should have left the part about the beer out. You opened yourself up to all kinds of attacks by providing that information. People here are always looking for things to react to. You could have had a thimble full of light beer and someone on this site would freak out over it.

Good luck.

Newton
October 14, 2006, 10:08 PM
1. Wasn't sure of the law, but went to an establishment that serves alcohol.

2. Drank some beer anyway, just to make sure he was doing something stupid.

I didn't really need to read on at that point.

It's people like this errrr "person" that make the rest of us look bad.

I walked in and said "GIMME A GUN !", Johnny Yahoo gets armed.

SgtGunner
October 14, 2006, 10:26 PM
In FL, you can carry in a non bar portion of a bar/restaraunt. It is a violation to carry and drink. There is no legal limit like driving. If you are carrying zero booze. Thats what my attorney and the guy that did our ccw class 6 years ago told me.

I strongly urge you to read SS Chapter 790. It should have come in the envelope with your CCL.

Sig245
October 14, 2006, 11:26 PM
It is exciting to put that carry gun on for the first time. I too worried about folks being able to see my gun. I now carry a small Kel-tec 380 in my front pocket, its so light I don't even think about it.

I agree with others about not carrying in the bars, dangerous situation and not legal in most states. I do need to check my laws in Oregon since it has been a long time since I got my permit and I am not sure what the rule is now.

I do carry my gun when out at a resturant and I have a couple of glasses of wine. I would never pull that gun out unless it was a total last resort to save my life or my family members. Then I will take my chances with the grand jury.

PlayboyPenguin
October 14, 2006, 11:36 PM
Sig245,

What I found out when I checked was we can carry into a bar if you are not drinking. If you get caught drinking while CCW you will loose your permit and possibly bre charged.

If we go over to WA (if you have WA CCW permit) you cannot carry into a place thay makes 51% of their money off of alcohol.

expvideo
October 14, 2006, 11:39 PM
"Didn't they teach you your state laws in the CCW class? They did in mine."

This is why it makes me mad that Washington state doesn't require a CCW class to get the license. Nobody knows the laws except the cops! I have to remind my friends all the time that they can't carry in certain places, and they're surprised! It shouldn't be that way.

Saiga39
October 15, 2006, 01:16 AM
"I digress from the thread, but Holy Cow man, how long have you been waiting? I run like a little school boy (okay maybe not that bad) to the mailbox everyday thinking, "It has to come in today."

The first question to my wife when I get home from anywhere is "Did we get any mail today????" I heard they wait the 60 or 90 days before sending it.

javacodeman
October 15, 2006, 01:19 AM
The first question to my wife when I get home from anywhere is "Did we get any mail today????" I heard they wait the 60 or 90 days before sending it.

I've got another two months to wait????:fire:

progunner1957
October 15, 2006, 01:32 AM
F**K THIS !!!
I read 790, twice, before I walked out. You can drink in FL and CCW, as long as it doesn't stop you from being able to *perform* normaly ( which I was fine ). And you can be in a restaurant with a bar section ( never set foot by the bar BTW ). I aksed questions to MAKE SURE! And I did shoot the F***ING gun before I walk out! What do you think I'm dumb???

Screw you guys! Like you friggin know everything and never made a mistake.

That's the problem with you people, you sit behind the keyboard and play all mighty all knowing... from behind the keyboard !!!

JESUS CHRIST! You know NOTHING about me! Yet you rush so much to criticize!

I actually got into a car accident the night I first CCW. yea, yesterday. a woman backing out her SUV from a parking lot put her hook into my grill in front of my Legend, and you know what, I just let it totally slide. Nothing happen. SO DON'T TELL ME WHAT AND HOW I WILL BEHAVE AFTER A HAINEKEN LIGHT !!!

kids

One more thing you all so well educated morons on the CCW laws in FL... there is no CCW class, all you need is a firearm proficiency certificate, so in your face! Don't preach to me about 790 and the laws, when you don't even know the basic requirements to get the CCW, much less any laws related to carrying!!!

Please explain your need to spew obscenity and vitrol, and your need to verbally savage your fellow gun owners - I do not understand.

yongxingfreesty
October 15, 2006, 01:40 AM
hahhahahaah man, it sure wasnt your day

Newton
October 15, 2006, 02:02 AM
Bad temper too - wrong forum for you I'm thinking.

daysleeprx
October 15, 2006, 02:06 AM
F**K THIS !!!
I read 790, twice, before I walked out. You can drink in FL and CCW, as long as it doesn't stop you from being able to *perform* normaly ( which I was fine ). And you can be in a restaurant with a bar section ( never set foot by the bar BTW ). I aksed questions to MAKE SURE! And I did shoot the F***ING gun before I walk out! What do you think I'm dumb???

That's the problem with you people, you sit behind the keyboard and play all mighty all knowing... from behind the keyboard !!!

I actually got into a car accident the night I first CCW. yea, yesterday. a woman backing out her SUV from a parking lot put her hook into my grill in front of my Legend, and you know what, I just let it totally slide. Nothing happen. SO DON'T TELL ME WHAT AND HOW I WILL BEHAVE AFTER A HAINEKEN LIGHT !!!

kids

One more thing you all so well educated morons on the CCW laws in FL... there is no CCW class, all you need is a firearm proficiency certificate, so in your face! Don't preach to me about 790 and the laws, when you don't even know the basic requirements to get the CCW, much less any laws related to carrying!!!

Wow. Just wow.

Agree w/ Newton.

LkWinnipesaukee
October 15, 2006, 02:09 AM
In before the lock-- YESSSSS

and congrats on your car accident. :neener: :neener:

DFW1911
October 15, 2006, 02:44 AM
Ummm, HAINEKEN, is actually spelled HEINEKEN. Just an example of how booze and guns don't mix.

This forum, as far as I can tell, is meant to educate and help others. I've learned a lot here and will continue to do so.

Anger is the first bastion of a weak mind. The folks on this forum are trying to help you develop into a responsible CCW, not bash your eagerness to be one.

Listen to what they offer. It costs nothing and is damned good insight...borne of experience and time.

You're welcome here...just be willing to learn. We all do. Everytime we log-on to this forum.

Take care and be safe,
DFW1911

KC&97TA
October 15, 2006, 02:59 AM
I know that I'm considered a "sick bird" as in, I don't have a CCW permit but do it anyway... so I don't push the rules of anything, much less drinking while armed, last thing I need is to stick a 230gr Corbon into someone, and have any question about it because I had a few beers in me.

I just don't think it's a good idea legally to have a gun and a drink (besides deer camp). It's like the whole car accident thing, one drink and you were probly in the wrong, kind of situation, alcohol impares your judgement no matter how little you've drank, that's what the "experts say" to the courts.

daysleeprx
October 15, 2006, 03:32 AM
I know that I'm considered a "sick bird" as in, I don't have a CCW permit but do it anyway...

You carry without a permit?? Is this a common thing that people do? :scrutiny:

hkenvy91
October 15, 2006, 03:36 AM
u carry without a permit ?:what:

thats a felony here

Eleven Mike
October 15, 2006, 03:39 AM
Forum Rules:3.) As a family-friendly board, we ask that you keep your language clean. If you wouldn't say it in front of your dear old Grandma, you probably don't want to say it here.

Polak. Your edited first post is unacceptable. If you are that upset with THR members, just go somewhere else. And gratuitously blaspheming other people's gods is not high road behavior.

yongxingfreesty
October 15, 2006, 03:44 AM
wow. no permit and you carry your piece? you ve got some big balls.:eek:

symr00
October 15, 2006, 04:34 AM
F**K THIS !!!

kids

Wow, this type of attitude really shows your maturity level and explains your actions of carrying your first day. You are exactly the type of person that SHOULD NOT be carrying.

TimboKhan
October 15, 2006, 05:20 AM
I am glad you had the discipline to let a fender-bender slide. God knows that the rest of us would have shot the place up. An impressive display of control indeed...

Please note extreme sarcasm. Also, please note that replacing the U and the C with asterisks does not make it OK to say on these boards. I curse like a sailor away from the boards, but I manage to keep it under control here, which is in keeping with the forum rules and with common courtesy.

Also, after a grand total of one minute reading the Florida CCW law, I found this, an excerpt from Florida state law 790.06 (12):

any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose

Perhaps you were in a restauraunt that served beer which would be OK. However, if you sat at the bar in said restauraunt, you just broke the law since a restaraunt bar is clearly the portion of the establishment primarily devoted to drinking. I know you said you didn't, which is good, but I am just clarifying your rant.

Autolycus
October 15, 2006, 08:53 AM
KC97TA are you hopefully from Vermont or Alaska?

Mannlicher
October 15, 2006, 10:05 AM

quite a childish rant for a gun board. I am not sure you have the temperment to run around armed.

eagle45
October 15, 2006, 10:22 AM
Let's see now, you lose your temper over comments on an Internet forum that were really meant to help you, then you type some rather rude comments, with lots of time to consider what you are saying and under no real threat to yourself.

Yet you want to CCW where a life changing decision could possible me made in a matter of seconds, methinks not.

Eleven Mike
October 15, 2006, 10:43 AM
I thought the edit function was for correcting stuff like that, not committing it.

Wesker
October 15, 2006, 10:56 AM
Did I miss something? From what I can put together, armedpolak gets new gun and CCW lisence, goes out and has a beer or two to celebrate and gets into a fender bender? If thats the case...

Thats some crappy luck. Theres no reason to get all biblical on the guy.

You carry without a permit?? Is this a common thing that people do?

A science teacher I had growing up in STC, Illinois packed everyday for 30 years (except while on school campus) and hasn't been caught yet.

eagle45
October 15, 2006, 11:16 AM
Wesker said Did I miss something?

Yes, the comment about carrying without a permit in post # 37 was referring to post # 36, neither of which was armedpolak.

Wesker
October 15, 2006, 11:17 AM
I'm referring to armedpolaks angry post edit.

RioShooter
October 15, 2006, 11:36 AM
Did I miss something? From what I can put together, armedpolak gets new gun and CCW lisence, goes out and has a beer or two to celebrate and gets into a fender bender? If thats the case...

Thats some crappy luck. Theres no reason to get all biblical on the guy.
In Texas that's enough to lose your license. And for good reason.

22-rimfire
October 15, 2006, 11:43 AM
Dude, take you foul mouth somewhere else. Lets just say, it wouldn't bother me in the least if you lost your CCW permit after spewing that kind of garbage. Editing doesn't change anything, your entire post has been quoted in its original form. Oh...never mind.... :)

armedpolak
October 15, 2006, 11:47 AM
Now I'm just smiling because of it.

I took the criticism constructivly. Though about it. Will never drink while CCW again.

Too bad this lesson had to be this painful.

My appologies to all THR members.

:(

Wesker
I guess.

But can everyone here say with 100% honesty that they've never EVER had a few pulls off a bottle and drove a car or packed heat?

Matt G
Never mind, indeed.

Closed.

If you enjoyed reading about "My first day of CCW !!! And my new gun !!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!