LEO threatens innocent family...

PDA

Autolycus
October 14, 2006, 01:21 AM
Hollywood officer accused of pointing gun at family during road rage

By Brian Haas and Marlene Naanes
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted October 13 2006

PLANTATION -- A Hollywood police officer is under investigation by Plantation police, accused of pointing a gun at a family of seven in an off-duty road rage incident, police records show.

Officer Michael McCarty, 48, a 17-year veteran of the force with no documented disciplinary problems, is on paid leave pending the investigation. McCarty has not been charged with a crime. His attorney hadn't seen the allegations Thursday.

"Anybody can make an accusation for any reason," said Coral Gables attorney Alberto Milian. "It's almost impossible to defend somebody when you don't even know what the accusation is or you haven't even seen the report."

Plantation police are investigating the Sept. 19 incident as an aggravated assault with a firearm, records show. They declined to discuss it, other than to say it is being investigated by detectives and prosecutors. The Broward State Attorney's Office acknowledged it is reviewing the matter.

Juan Calle, 34, was driving the family van home that evening, while his wife and four children, ages 3 to 13, sat behind him. His uncle sat in the front passenger seat. As the group traveled down Cleary Boulevard about 7:15 p.m., Calle's 3-year-old daughter, Wendy, started playing with rainwater dripping from a slightly opened window.

According to the police report, a man driving a pickup noticed Wendy's hand sticking out the window. The report says the man cursed at Calle and said he was a bad parent for letting her stick her hand out the window.

"He just kept screaming at me, talking about my daughter, calling her dirty," Calle said Thursday.

Calle said he cursed back, a decision he now regrets.

The pickup then stopped in front of Calle's van, and the driver -- in plainclothes -- jumped out and pulled a silver handgun from his waistband, the report says.

"I see him reach for the gun and I was like, `Oh no, not this,'" Calle said. "He just comes out, points the gun at my head and says, `Don't call the police because I'm a cop.'"

At that moment, Calle said, his uncle's cell phone rang.

"Don't reach for nothing because I will shoot you right now," the man with the gun said, according to police reports. He trained his gun on all seven in the van -- finger on the trigger, Calle's family told police.

Calle's children were terrified. Wendy started crying, he said, pleading, "Mommy, I'm scared."

"They were trying to hide under the seat, under the gun he was pointing," he said.

For a few minutes, Calle and his wife pleaded with the man to leave, to not scare the children. The man walked away and drove off. Calle called 911 and reported the license plate number on the pickup. The family later identified McCarty from a photo lineup and gave identical descriptions of the incident, police reports say.

Calle said his children are haunted by the encounter.

"My little 3-year-old still talks about it," he said. "It's definitely a fearful event."

McCarty, who was off-duty at the time of the reported incident, has had only two minor complaints against him, Hollywood police said. He was exonerated in both cases.

Police on Thursday could not provide information on any commendations or awards McCarty received, but his attorney says he has been commended in the past for saving someone's life.

McCarty worked for the New York Police Department prior to joining Hollywood. Officials in New York would only confirm McCarty worked there and declined to provide dates of employment, disciplinary information or commendations.

"Here's a guy who's devoted two decades of his life to defending the community," Milian said. "He is now going to be tarnished in the public arena for something he hasn't been charged with."

Staff Researchers William Lucey and John Maines contributed to this report.

Brian Haas can be reached at bhaas@sun-sentinel.com or 954-356-4597.

Here is the link to the article... http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-cofficer13oct13,0,1882488.story?coll=sfla-news-broward

I am willing to bet that he gets off. Its nice to know that they are proffessionals and keep their cool.

If you enjoyed reading about "LEO threatens innocent family..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Trip20
October 14, 2006, 01:55 AM
Its nice to know that they are proffessionals and keep their cool.

Emphasis mine.

You mean McCarthy, not "they," right? :rolleyes:

Autolycus
October 14, 2006, 01:56 AM
I meant LEOs in a sarcastic tone. I have been feeling very anti-LEO lately. I havent gotten any tickets or stopped but just tired of double standards for cops and regular people.

Trip20
October 14, 2006, 02:01 AM
I have been feeling very anti-LEO lately.

Well, at least you admit it.

But to put it in perspective for you; forming an opinion on all or most LEO due to a few jackasses, is the same as forming a bad opinion on all gun-owners because of a few jackass criminals.

Cops deal with criminals all day. Ya think then, it would be fair for them to not support concealed carry due to their experience with criminals committing crimes with firearms? I don't think that'd be fair at all.

Reyn
October 14, 2006, 02:10 AM
But to put it in perspective for you; forming an opinion on all or most LEO due to a few jackasses, is the same as forming a bad opinion on all gun-owners because of a few jackass criminals.

+ 1

strambo
October 14, 2006, 02:18 AM
He shouldn't crucified in the court of public opinion before any investigation or charges. If the investigation establishes this as true, he should be fired and chared and convicted. Has the "ring" of truth to it, but only professional interviews of the family and any other witnesses can determine that.

xd9fan
October 14, 2006, 02:56 AM
Cops deal with criminals all day. Ya think then, it would be fair for them to not support concealed carry due to their experience with criminals committing crimes with firearms? I don't think that'd be fair at all.

Not a good enough excuse. CCW holders are not criminals. Criminal behavior and conceal carry are NOT related. More education is needed:banghead:

Reyn
October 14, 2006, 03:03 AM
CCW holders are not criminals

Ive arrested 3 CCW holders. Two for DUI. One male,one female and one for poss. of Methamphetamine. All had their gun with them at the time.

Trip20
October 14, 2006, 03:16 AM
Not a good enough excuse. CCW holders are not criminals. Criminal behavior and conceal carry are NOT related.

First of all, I wasn't making an excuse of any kind. Secondly, CCW holders have committed crimes, like it or not. Therefore, criminal behavior and concealed carry are plenty related; at least enough to make the point.

At any rate, concealed carry was not the core of the comment - but you knew that. The point was a simple principal that the actions of a few shouldn't justify judgment on an entire group.

You disagree with that principal? Say so.

More reading comprehension is needed :banghead:

DMF
October 14, 2006, 03:16 AM
CCW holders are not criminals. Criminal behavior and conceal carry are NOT related. A good friend of mine who is a local cop, and has busted CCW holders, committing a variety of crimes. Some very recently. The most recent was one who got drunk and took a shot at his girlfriend, because she was going to leave him. Luckily he was so drunk he didn't hit her, and even more lucky his stray rounds didn't hit any innocent third parties.

HOWEVER, that local cop and I would both agree that behavior is the exception for CCW holders, just like the alleged behavior of the LEO in this incident is the exception for cops. Unlike you I'm not naive, so I don't assume all cops are bad, or all CCW holders are bad, just because of the few exceptions. Also, because I'm not naive, I don't believe there aren't exceptions for both CCW holders and cops.

DMF
October 14, 2006, 03:18 AM
I have been feeling very anti-LEO lately.Wow, I'm shocked. I never would have guessed you ever felt "very anti-LEO." :rolleyes:

strambo
October 14, 2006, 08:22 AM
If your'e curious, I meant State Prison, not the cemetary.
Heh, I thought you meant "H E doublehockeysticks" for both.:D My wife's late grandma always said "Liars go the hell"...or was it "Liars go to jail"?:uhoh: :confused:

hammer4nc
October 14, 2006, 08:43 AM
I won't comment on the incident at this point, except to observe that an "unconstitutionally vague" area of the law might be involved here. :neener:

dfaugh
October 14, 2006, 09:00 AM

Exactly. I get clobbered for "LEO bashing" alot---even though I confine my "bashing" to one cop, in one situation.

LEOs are collectively like any other large group of people. Some, good, some mediocre, and some bad. At age 51 I've had to deal with the police on numerous occasions, in a variety of circumstances, and would over all give them an A-. Most were great, a couple were bit rude, but OK, and none were really "bad".

If this one particular cop did what they say, he should be punished. Whether or not he's a cop is less (but not entirely) relevant.

Art Eatman
October 14, 2006, 09:09 AM
For the umpteenth time: There is no profession that does not have some percentage of idiots and incompetents. Engineering, medicine, law enforcement, pick one...

This forum is NOT copbash.com.

Given what the New England Journal of Medicine says about wrongful deaths in hospitals, what I've seen of lousy construction work, and how many bad-cop events there are, the cops come way out ahead.

If you find some situation where it's obvious there is a pattern within some particular department, that's a different matter. If bad behavior is not only commonplace but hushed up, that's a matter for discussion. A random individual's weirdlies are not.

Thread closed on account of boredom. Mine.

Art

If you enjoyed reading about "LEO threatens innocent family..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!