Dying young isn't glamorous.

PDA

Oleg Volk
October 14, 2006, 02:27 AM
http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/16748-2/glamorous9983.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Dying young isn't glamorous." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
the 22 junkie
October 14, 2006, 02:41 AM
Rock on. I will not give up educating the sheeple until i can carry a FiveseveN to 4th Period Geography. :cool:

Oleg Volk
October 14, 2006, 03:22 AM
http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/16751-2/glamorous9983rus.jpg

Cromlech
October 14, 2006, 05:22 AM
Dammit Oleg, I demand that you teach me to speak Russian. It's such a cool language. :D

Nice image, by the way.

XavierBreath
October 14, 2006, 08:02 AM
Powerful.

I know you are likely working with previously taken images, but I have to wonder what effect having the model's face to the camera would have had. My only objection is that her chin up head position is not that of a deceased victim.

(Sometimes it seems as though I am the only one to critique rather than admire Oleg's work, but constructive criticism is the path to refinement. It is difficult to see these things in one's own work. Never let it be said that I do not appreciate and admire Oleg's talent.)

Hkmp5sd
October 14, 2006, 08:08 AM
How about "Being Dead Sucks"? :)

jfh
October 14, 2006, 11:01 AM
Maybe try the exact same shot, but with the hand made up to show defensive wounds? I dunno--maybe the realism would distract from the (very good) symbolism of this shot--but it's worth a try.

What do you think?

Ya govoru po-russki, BTW. Or, at least, I did--but unpracticed for many years now.l ask Dyer-Bennett; he and I have some roots together.

Oleg Volk
October 14, 2006, 12:16 PM
Point taken on unrealistic position of the head and lack of defensive wounds. I might fix that or keep it as is. My goal is a very soft sell on an obvious idea.

zoom6zoom
October 14, 2006, 12:47 PM
Very nice, Oleg. How about keeping this version plus a "harder" one? On CSI there's always something under the fingernails...

Hits close to home as we just had a missing Virginia girl found dead in Vermont yesterday. The "just give them what they want and you'll be OK" proponents need to all go breath vacuum.

10-Ring
October 14, 2006, 01:29 PM
WOW! Inspired!

Warren
October 14, 2006, 04:54 PM
Really powerful.

Not to complicate things but you could add a phone laying next to the hand where you could see the screen. On the screen it would say "Now connected to # 911" with the number of seconds of being connected around 25-30.

Monkeyleg
October 14, 2006, 05:08 PM
I don't think most people know that lying face up is not a natural position for someone who's dead (I didn't know that).

So, I don't think that's an issue.

Excellent work as always, Oleg.

springmom
October 14, 2006, 05:23 PM
It has a lack of focus, somehow, to me. Maybe it's because most of your stuff is gun-related. I wondered, looking at this, what exactly you're wanting your audience to DO. And the headline was confusing a bit too...dying young and glamorous are ideas I'd expect to be counterpoint to drug use or driving fast or binge drinking...things where "being glamorous" is indeed part of the pull of the behavior.

I just don't think this one comes together with a focused message like most of your work does. But maybe that's just me?

Springmom

ugaarguy
October 14, 2006, 06:37 PM
It has a lack of focus, somehow, to me. Maybe it's because most of your stuff is gun-related. I wondered, looking at this, what exactly you're wanting your audience to DO. And the headline was confusing a bit too...dying young and glamorous are ideas I'd expect to be counterpoint to drug use or driving fast or binge drinking...things where "being glamorous" is indeed part of the pull of the behavior.

I just don't think this one comes together with a focused message like most of your work does. But maybe that's just me?

Springmom, I felt similarly at first. After reading your post it clarified for me that perhaps Oleg is going for a less focused message. A message that runs counter to pop culture's live care free, be glamorous, take no personal responsibility, someone else will take care of me vision of the perfect life. Whether the irresponsibility be endangering yourself by driving fast, impairing one's senses thru drugs or alchol, or not learning to defend oneself, they all come back, as we understand, to not being responsible for one's self. Oleg, if indeed you are going for the more universal message in a softer tone, I think you have done it quite well. Springmom, thanks for the excellent post that sparked me to think in diferent terms and not lock into an "Oleg does gun posters, this is not a gun poster" thought process.

Rotorflyr
October 14, 2006, 06:38 PM
Might have more impact with her head tilted slightly towards the camera, eye's open in a blank stare with just a spot or trickle of blood visable in the corner of her mouth.

I also agree with springmom that the "Headline" needs work, it just seems more like an anti-drug picture then a pro self-defense ad (picture it with a needle in view and with out the tag line)

armoredman
October 14, 2006, 07:26 PM
How about a dropped cell phone right next to the hand...or too obvious?
I like it as is, could be used for all kinds of PSAs, including anti drug, depending on the message in the bottom half.

Eleven Mike
October 14, 2006, 07:31 PM
Very good. The head should be tilted, but mainly because the viewer should be staring into the eyes of a dead girl. So, the picture should be in focus, too.

javacodeman
October 14, 2006, 07:34 PM
Eleven Mike
So, the picture should be in focus, too.

The picture is of course "focused." You're just saying that you'd prefer a different focal point. I like it with her face blurred, i.e., not the focal point. I'll agree that head tilted would add a little touch in the right direction, but it's not a crucial point.

java

Eleven Mike
October 14, 2006, 07:54 PM
Yes, I would like a different focal point, because I think the dead eyes would very much add to the power of the composition.

DRZinn
October 14, 2006, 08:59 PM
Love it. I'd turn the head a bit, too, and I love the idea of the connected cell phone, but maybe with the time being around 30 minutes.

Newton
October 14, 2006, 09:01 PM
I think she looks like Mary Jo Kopechne

How about :

Dying young isn't glamorous.

So learn to swim if you hitch a ride with Ted Kennedy.

Trip20
October 14, 2006, 09:11 PM
Nice job.

I would change "isn't" to "is not".

BullfrogKen
October 14, 2006, 09:18 PM
Soft sell Oleg?

Jesus dude. Of all the images and messages I've seen you submit, this one disturbed me the most. Show this to the average parent or young woman who doesn't dwell on such things, and I'll wager it will shock their sensibilities, too.

Other than changing your wording from a contraction, this one needs no alteration in my book. Its quite chilling just the way it is.

f4t9r
October 14, 2006, 09:32 PM
really strong point.
Sad but true !!!!!!

Standing Wolf
October 14, 2006, 09:34 PM
I like it.

Hardtarget
October 14, 2006, 11:10 PM
I love it. Even with the focus on her hand...I found myself wanting to see her profile. Can the lettering be moved up just enough to see her full profile?

Mark.

22-rimfire
October 14, 2006, 11:24 PM
Pretty powerful image. A few thoughts since I dabble sometimes...

I would use a younger model; young teen-aged girl if things remained as they are posed or similar. Another possibility is to paint the face and hands "white" as in a mime. Perhaps painted nails and lips too. I would have to experiment with that a bit as any color needs to signify death but not make the person look like a drug addict.

What software do you use to create these things? Adobe Photoshop?

Monkeyleg
October 14, 2006, 11:32 PM
Ask for opinions, and you're guaranteed to receive them.

Again, nice job, Oleg.

Jack19
October 14, 2006, 11:45 PM
Having seen a lot of dead bodies, she's way too pink. Too 'fresh' if you will.

A grayish, mottled, bluish, yellowish pink conveys death more accurately. There's no such thing as a good looking corpse.

The message is excellent.

progunner1957
October 14, 2006, 11:59 PM
Outstanding image and message! Maybe it will make some of the anti self defesne and "give peace a chance" sheeple reconsider the folly of their belief system.

If if the right to live is a human right - and it is - then the right to defend your life by any means necessary is also a human right.

Fu-man Shoe
October 15, 2006, 12:13 AM
This is one of your better images in quite some time.

Just enough, but not too much. Often, your images
get bogged down in various politics, and in effect
you end up "preaching to the choir". I do not believe
that is the case in this instance.

Good lookin out.

Waitone
October 15, 2006, 12:27 AM
Blue fingernails

Stand_Watie
October 15, 2006, 12:41 AM
She looks quite peacefully asleep to me AND she seems to have extremely pretty/well manicured fingers/nails. I'd go with a slightly more gruesome picture for your intent, and see if you can sell that excellent photo to Nytol (without the hand) and to a nail care firm (just the hand).

AmbulanceDriver
October 15, 2006, 04:32 AM
Damn.

Even with the "technical" issues others brought up, this one still hit like a ton of bricks.

The imagery, and the message conveyed is powerful, and to be honest, a touch disturbing. But that's sometimes what it takes to get the message across....

Thanks Oleg.

tegemu
October 15, 2006, 08:46 AM
My first thought about the focus was that it was very clever to focus on a lovely, well manicured, glamorous, youthful looking, hand - emphasizing the theme of the poster.

highlander 5
October 15, 2006, 08:54 AM
ditto on what stand watie said tho she is the cleanest corpse on the block

Oleg Volk
October 15, 2006, 12:33 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=46371&stc=1&d=1160929587

Oleg Volk
October 15, 2006, 12:38 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=46372&stc=1&d=1160929851

XavierBreath
October 15, 2006, 12:43 PM
The blue tint doesn't cut it Oleg.

When circulation ceases, blood follows gravity and settles in the vessels to whatever part of the body is lowest, usually the back and buttocks. This is known as livor mortis. Thus, the back of her hands would be purplish, while the palms and fingers would be white/yellowish. The nails would not be blue.

The in focus profile is obviously someone who is alive, but it does lend a whole new aspect to things.

Odd Job
October 15, 2006, 12:46 PM
Original focus is good. Changes I would make:

1) Turn the model's head slightly away from camera.
2) Scuff the nails and add defensive abrasions.

Oleg Volk
October 15, 2006, 01:33 PM
I'd have to re-shoot with make-up...just wanted to test the concept.

DRZinn
October 15, 2006, 01:40 PM
It doesn't need to look like a corpse to get the point across. What if she just died?

Revulsion turns off the thinking part of the brain. What good is the message then?

akodo
October 15, 2006, 02:32 PM
I too concur the hand looks too perfect. Now, the death could be very recent, so no need to for rigor-mortis make-up effects, but definately a bit of abrasion, or a broken nail, etc, even if that means putting on some fake nails and breaking one of them.

also, I'd love to see a cellphone in there, where you can just make out 911 on the call screen

ETXhiker
October 15, 2006, 05:30 PM
Privet, Oleg. Vy Russkii?

Oleg Volk
October 15, 2006, 05:59 PM
In my past life I was.

Old Fud
October 15, 2006, 08:24 PM
The original picture caused an instinctive gut reaction.
What else could you ask for?
I think it was, therefore, right on the mark.

You want to get people to think. You don't have to beat them over the head with grue to do that. In fact, you get the opposite reaction -- they will turn away in disgust, and turn on you for stuffing that ugliness in their faces.

Oleg, I think you did just fine with this.
If you want to experiment with the ability to show corpses realistically, then by all means, listen to your advisors -- if nothing else, for the learning experience.
But if you are interested in selling a concept, I'd stay with the softer, more "welcome in my home" approach you just showed us.

Fud

If you enjoyed reading about "Dying young isn't glamorous." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!