Open Carry Poll

PDA

PlayboyPenguin
October 14, 2006, 04:11 PM
Just for my own personal knowledge. :)

I personally chose that I would support it but would not do it myself.

I will admit that this is a change on my part, used to be against open carry but I have kind of adopted the" to each his own" approach to the topic.

But then again I just might if I got a brand new firearm that I was really proud of and wanted to show it off. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Open Carry Poll" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
expvideo
October 14, 2006, 04:22 PM
I open carry from time to time in Washington. It's the easiest way to carry in another state, if your permit doesn't work there. It's also a lot more comfortable in the summer. I don't do it often, but sometimes if I'm out on a date with my girlfriend and she gets cold, I'll give her my jacket, exposing my holstered pistol. She doesn't mind (she likes it), and it's legal in WA. In fact, it's legal in 43 states, most just don't know. I make sure to carry laws and paperwork to prove to uninformed officers that it is infact legal, since I don't want to be arrested.

The most crowded places I've OC'd are Walmart and Albertsons, out here in Everett. I usually don't carry in crowded places, but I was in a hurry, and it raises awareness for the legality of it anyway, so what the heck.

Norm357
October 14, 2006, 04:49 PM
Because of weather her in HOtlanta, I open carry maybe half the time. Never had a problem.

TallPine
October 14, 2006, 05:27 PM
Why would you not support it?

(unless you like telling people what they can and can't do :fire: )

dasmi
October 14, 2006, 05:34 PM
Support it, done it serverl times in Arizona, no problems at all.

Biker
October 14, 2006, 05:43 PM
Sure I support it, but I never do unless I'm hiking or hunting.

Biker

DRZinn
October 14, 2006, 05:45 PM
I support it, but around other people wouldn't do it (unless it's Open Carry Day.)

PlayboyPenguin
October 14, 2006, 05:48 PM
Why would you not support it?
Some people are against open carry for various reason. Some of them valid like not wanting to risk police harassment, not wanting criminals to know they are armed etc.

And some for less valid reasons such as thinking it will increase violence and create an old west shoot-em-up enviroment.

I am afraid I would have to see some evidence for this to believe it myself. Maybe we could create a test city where everyone over 18 was allowed to open carry and see what happens. My biggest fear would be that sidewalks would get crowded with all the guys standing around showing off and talking about their firearms. Any volunteers to move there? :D

LoveMyCountry
October 14, 2006, 05:56 PM
The only place I don't open carry is at church. I carry conceiled there (with full support of the Pastor :D ) just so that I will not distract people from hearing a very important message.

Yes, bad guys may see me and take me out first - OR - they may see me and decide that they have urgent business elsewhere.:what:

I carry for three reasons:

Protection of my family and myself.
A right not exercised is a right lost.
To remind people that carrying a gun does not make you into a psychotic killer.

Open carry let's me do all three at once.

LoveMyCountry

2TransAms
October 14, 2006, 06:07 PM
If open carry was widely accepted it may be more appealing. I would do it...if everyone else did. I wouldn't mind the stares (heck I'd probably think it was funny). Now I have seen people carrying open here in IL and nobody has looked twice or said a word about it. I guess most folks probably just assume they're policemen.

expvideo
October 14, 2006, 06:15 PM
If you're that nervous about it, get handcuffs and carry them in a cuff holster next to your piece. You aren't claiming to be a police officer, but people will assume.

thumper723
October 14, 2006, 06:32 PM
I would support it, and do it in "appropriate" situations. Probably not at the movies, but would do it while doing yardwork, going to HW store, Home Depot, etc...

TallPine
October 14, 2006, 06:36 PM
Maybe we could create a test city where everyone over 18 was allowed to open carry and see what happens.
Okay, how about Montana, Arizona, Colorado, and some other states....?

Not that you see it all that much, but nothing illegal about it (except Denver)

PlayboyPenguin
October 14, 2006, 06:39 PM
Okay, how about Montana, Arizona, Colorado, and some other states....?
I was thinking more of a test city where everyone agreed to carry. Not just where you could but did not. :)

sixgunner455
October 14, 2006, 07:18 PM
Not really that uncommon a practice in Arizona. I do it. People who escape from California, I see doing it until they get their permits. When I first moved here, I was nervous about it. Now, I'm not nervous about it at all. I see CAS guys with their single actions carrying on shoot days, packing their shotguns around too. I've seen a grandma with a .357 on her hip in WalMart. :D It's done.

The guy who taught my CCW class doesn't like it when people do it. He thinks it's obnoxious. He's a friend of mine, used to work in my office. We agreed to disagree on that point. :cool:

DFW1911
October 14, 2006, 07:53 PM
Sure I support it, but I never do unless I'm hiking or hunting.

Me too.

DFW1911

salvador31c
October 14, 2006, 08:56 PM
I Support Open Carry Because i Do it Everyday in Phoenix, AZ :neener:
because i dont have a CCW permit and cant get one for about 7 or 8 months even when i do get it i'm sure i would still open carry but would more then likly CC more offten then OC but i've never had a problem carrying yet in more then a year that i've done it the only downfall has been "DA Thugs" Calling My GLOCK 30 "DOPE" kinda annoying and weir:scrutiny: d when they walk circles around me to check it out and stare at it

Standing Wolf
October 14, 2006, 09:36 PM
I carry openly all day long at work; elsewhere, I carry openly at least a third of the time.

Sig245
October 14, 2006, 10:13 PM
I carry concealed but believe everyone should have the right to carry in the open. I understand its a problem in the big cities but once you are outside of large metro areas who cares.

Ala Dan
October 14, 2006, 10:22 PM
I support it, and have done it here in Alabama on occassion~!:D

Tess
October 14, 2006, 10:47 PM
You missed "support it and do it"

I open carry frequently here in Virginia. One must, in establishments that serve alcohol for consumption on the premises, and it's a royal pain to conceal, uncover, conceal, etc.

oops!
October 14, 2006, 11:02 PM
I frequently do in Ky.

22-rimfire
October 14, 2006, 11:36 PM
Pretty well thought out poll, PlayboyPenguin. :)

I actually voted "undecided". A big part of me says open carry is great. The other side of me says that the firearm should be carried as discreetly as possilbe. I can just see some older woman freaking out at McDonalds when she sees the gun and calling the police. Don't need the aggrevation. With the handgun permit here, I can open carry if I choose. At this time, the only time I do that anymore is out in the woods. It is not recommended, but is legal in more urban areas.

progunner1957
October 14, 2006, 11:49 PM
I voted "I support it but am unsure if it's for me" simply because I hace a CCW license here in my home state.

I did open carry in Colorado (Collegiate Peaks area) on a backpacking trip once. I got some "interesting" looks from the earth heads driving by in their jeeps (but nobody screwed with me)...:D

There's nothing more normal than carrying your favorite handgun while being out in the natural world - open or concealed - IMO.

jhco50
October 14, 2006, 11:53 PM
I don't have a CCW permit, although I could get one with ease and a $50 fee. Let me be blunt. I don't want the government knowing that I carry, it is none of their business and according to the constitution they are not supposed to anything that affects our right to carry. In my state open carry is legal and I carry to my hearts content. If Miss welfare doesn't like it or a treehugger feels bad, I don't care. When the chips are down I will take care of my family and myself, without the interference of law enforcement. My impression of the local police is that the are a bunch of dufusses. I'm sorry, but it seems all they know how to do is write tickets.

A few years ago, my wife was robbed at knifepoint. When she screamed, the apt's come alive ad people came out to help. The bad guy got away because I couldn't get a bead on him in time. We called the police, they took a report and left. Some of the men in the apt's had a partial plate and a description of the car. The police never contacted us for the next couple of weeks. Then some of the guys found the car and called the police. they come out and were shown the car and the bad guy...and did nothing. That is when I decided that they were worthless in a bad situation. Where are these fearless police? Colorado Springs, Colorado.

Twycross
October 14, 2006, 11:56 PM
It may not always be the best option, but I have no logical/philosphical/emotional/whathaveyou reason not to. I open carry pretty much anytime I'm hiking/hunting/fishing, but only very rarely any other time.

expvideo
October 14, 2006, 11:57 PM
Yeah, I find the police as effective here. At least there are a few that will go "above and beyond" by actually doing their job!

PlayboyPenguin
October 15, 2006, 12:03 AM
I don't want the government knowing that I carry, it is none of their business and according to the constitution they are not supposed to anything that affects our right to carry. In my state open carry is legal and I carry to my hearts content. If Miss welfare doesn't like it or a treehugger feels bad, I don't care. When the chips are down I will take care of my family and myself, without the interference of law enforcement. My impression of the local police is that the are a bunch of dufusses. I'm sorry, but it seems all they know how to do is write tickets.
These are some pretty strong statements. They boarder on fitting the bill of the type of grandstanding, paranoid, out-side the-law gun owners that antis would love to portait us all as to America.

What are you going to do the first time an LEO approaches you and asks to see your permit? Are you going to see that as a threat and open fire?

Plus, I am unfamiliar where the constituation gives us the right to carry a weapon. I know it says we can own them but I was not aware it said we can carry them daily.

expvideo
October 15, 2006, 12:17 AM
...and bear...

carterbeauford
October 15, 2006, 12:18 AM
I support open carry and have open carried in PA and VA. Give it a try.

You aren't claiming to be a police officer, but people will assume.

I'd rather not end up in a position where I am explaining to a real LEO why I am not impersonating a LEO. First thing anyone said to me while open carrying was "are you a police officer?" I would not have wanted to explain to him why I'm not, while having handcuffs on my belt. Read all about carterbeauford's VA open carry experience at opencarry.org

Zonamo
October 15, 2006, 01:32 AM
I support it and would do it
You can leave off the word "would."

It's nice living in a gold state.:D

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=46355&stc=1&d=1160890057

(Map courtesy of http://www.opencarry.org )

Axman
October 15, 2006, 02:15 AM
I open carry every now and again. I feel better about riding my motorcycle with the holstered gun on my belt than having it bouncing around in the saddlebag. That's mostly when I'm going to the range or just heading somewhere unfamiliar. Besides that, I like the looks I get from passing motorists! :D

TallPine
October 15, 2006, 11:27 AM
I am unfamiliar where the constituation gives us the right to carry a weapon. I know it says we can own them but I was not aware it said we can carry them daily.

the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

:rolleyes:

I get so tired of the many gun-owners who who seem to think we shouldn't do much of anything without explicit govt permission.

Also, I am perplexed by the fact that the GLBT community has been relatively successful with "in your face" tactics over the past few decades, but gun owners should hide in the closet (or at least under a coat or long shirt) :confused:

MCgunner
October 15, 2006, 11:34 AM
I don't want the BG knowing I'm armed. He might just decide to pop me in the back of the head for my weapon. Of course, I should be aware of him, I know, but I don't wanna advertize I have a firearm on me. The element of surprise has some merit.

I don't care if others open carry. I guess there is the chance the BG will select me to rob or otherwise mess with thinking I'm unarmed, however, there is also the chance he'll pop the other guy in the back of the head for his weapon. I just prefer the walk softly and carry a big stick (out of sight) approach. I don't care to get into a Hollywood shoot out, rather have the advantage of surprise.

If Texas went open carry, I think it'd look a lot like Dodge City 1880 around here. ROFL

Oh, and I understand, though I've not read it, that the Texas constitution says "keep and wear arms". However, we are not an open carry state and until about 1996 we had no CCW rights. I carried anyway, as did many others.

gulogulo1970
October 15, 2006, 11:49 AM
Sorry, I think it a good idea for criminals to assume or think everyone is possibly armed. Personally, I don't care if a state has it or not and I wouldn't go out of my way to vote for such a measure.

I do believe in the Right to carry weapons to defend yourself, I just think it's smarter to do so with stealth.

NineseveN
October 15, 2006, 12:20 PM
I support it 100% and I do it on occassion when I feel it's convenient or necessary.

Sleeping Dog
October 15, 2006, 12:25 PM
Nice map, Zonamo, but what the heck does "anomylous" mean (since I'm in an orange, anomylous state) ?

Regards.

Knotthead
October 15, 2006, 03:32 PM
I support it but prefer to carry concealed and anonymously. I have experienced prejudice, sometimes subtle, sometimes more overt, in the past due to my pro gun viewpoints. While KY is a very gun friendly state, there are many islands of greater "enlightenment" scattered about. Nor do I have any desire to frighten the "sheep" around me or be mistaken for a leo.

PlayboyPenguin
October 15, 2006, 03:39 PM
I am actually hoping to someime soon get a nice day that we can go out to some public lands to go hiking. I am thinking I might do some open carry there. Now I will just have to decide which gun to take with me. :)

beltslide
October 15, 2006, 03:41 PM
Good luck to you with this right, I support your right to open carry. I've even seen people exercise this right when I was last in Arizona...what a great State!

:D

mrrick
October 15, 2006, 03:44 PM
I open carry in Arizona all the time. No problems ever.

ronto
October 15, 2006, 03:59 PM
I support open carry for anyone who wishes to do so. However, being a rather humble fellow, I prefer not to advertise...Concealed carry works fine for me.

SoCalShooter
October 15, 2006, 04:00 PM
I seriously need to leave california.

MCgunner
October 15, 2006, 04:04 PM
Many years ago in my early 20s I rode to Colorado on a bike the first time up there. Colorado, I guess, was open carry, but I was totally un-used to this. We stopped in a small town for lunch at a cafe and there was a guy in there carrying and I felt pretty weirded out. He kept staring at us and it wasn't too long after I'd seen "Deliverance". LOL I didn't really understand until years later about open carry laws, I mean, being from Texas. I got arrested at 18 for having a loaded revolver in my TRUNK! Was a city ordinance, not a state law, but state law you have to have the gun locked away and not "within easy reach". We had the "traveling clause" thing, but that wasn't easy to "prove". We still don't have open carry here. I think folks from out of state would get a little freaked about a bunch of folks runnin' around with SAAs on their hips, but hey, I guess it hasn't hurt Colorado's tourism.

I ride to Aridzona occasionally and never see anyone carrying open there. I can carry concealed there on my Texas CCW, so I just prefer to do that and not display. Heck, I'd keep my clothes on on a nude beach or in a nudist camp if I had to go there, too. :D

Hmm, walking down a nude beach with nothing, but a six gun on, not a good picture....:barf:

got cope?
October 15, 2006, 04:34 PM
I do open carry. Georgia. No weird looks yet.

Glockfan.45
October 15, 2006, 04:39 PM
I suport it but would not do it myself. I dont like the idea of somebody standing in line behind me checking out my piece. Unless you are trained in weapon retention I think its a bad idea.

Detritus
October 15, 2006, 04:59 PM
I support it and would do it.

I plan on getting a TxCHL in teh near future, and my only real reservation has to do with the fact that in texas "failure to conceal" (ie something occcurs and some uninformed type reconizes that you are carrying.) is a crime. and I am NOT well adapted to texas gulf coast summers (overweight, and very warm natured), thus limiting my possible carry options quite a bit. To the point that I'd most likely have to use something like a Safepacker to carry in summer.
so frankly open carry would greatly widen my options for daily carry in my current location.

I too would like to know the definition of "anomalous open carry" since i plan to move back to NC eventually.

olivedrab
October 15, 2006, 05:13 PM
From Opencarry.org:

Anomalous- Open carry permitted generally by state law, but lacks preemption or entails significant restrictions.

kd7nqb
October 15, 2006, 05:30 PM
I personally dont OC and dont plan to mostly because its a distraction but when I start carrying (day I turn 21) I will have no problem letting people know. I dont understand the school of thought that justifies people not telling their wife, kids, ect that they are packing. I am not saying that I would bring it up but seriously if someone were to ask I would have problem telling the truth.

No_Brakes23
October 15, 2006, 06:35 PM
I open carried on occasion while stationed aboard MCAS Yuma, (Though not on base, obviously.) Amazingly enough there was no blood on the streets. In fact, almost no one paid me any attention.

My only quandry with open carry is regarding proper dress. How does one choose between wheelgun and autoloader? Also, does one only carry stainless steel prior to labor day and blued steel after? :D

1911Ron
October 15, 2006, 06:40 PM
I open carry when ever i can. Arizona does not allow us to carry (open or otherwise) into resturants that serve alcohol:banghead: :cuss: i'm hopeing to convince our legastlature to change this.

If more people OC the "sheep" will be more comfortable with it (hope hope)

TallPine
October 15, 2006, 06:54 PM
I dont like the idea of somebody standing in line behind me checking out my piece. Unless you are trained in weapon retention I think its a bad idea.
Yeah, but it would be a great exercise in situational awareness. ;)

Sometimes I will hook a thumb in my back jeans pocket so that my arm blocks access to my sidearm. Or hook thumb or fingers in front pocket and keep elbow tucked in over the grip.

As far as clothes, just fit in with the local area, and reasonably neat and clean. I wonder though, if a solid, light to medium color button up shirt sorta implies some sort of security without actually impersonating anyone...? I haven't had any problems so far - just some "I wish I could carry at work" grumbling at a place of business.:)

Aguila Blanca
October 15, 2006, 07:00 PM
In fact, it's legal in 43 states, most just don't know. I make sure to carry laws and paperwork to prove to uninformed officers that it is infact legal, since I don't want to be arrested.
43 states?

It sure would be nice if you could back that up, because after spending a lot of time on www.packing.org, and lesser amounts of time on both the handgun law site and www.opencarry.org I don't get the sense that there's anywhere NEAR 43 states that allow open carry.

expvideo
October 15, 2006, 07:14 PM
The map on page 2 already backed my statement up.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=46355&stc=1&d=1160890057

The red states are the only 7 (subtract from 50 and your get 43) that don't allow. The orange states allow, but there are strict laws regarding how and where.

10-Ring
October 15, 2006, 07:29 PM
I support carry of any kind in an effort to turn the tide in my state.

MCgunner
October 15, 2006, 07:29 PM
It'd be fun to go to the store with my engraved Blackhawk .45 in a thumb strap western Buscadero rig. :D I might try that a few times if I could. Walmart probably wouldn't mind. Other than that, CCW is the way I would go.

Actually, I think my Blackhawk, or a SA revolver, would be a good open carry. It'd be fast out of the holster and quick on target even if it's slow to reload. Could always carry the 9mm in the pocket like always. :D And, you gotta figure starin' down the muzzle of a single action .45 with the hammer back has got to give you pause. :D

Stevie-Ray
October 15, 2006, 07:57 PM
I support open carry and do it sometimes around the house. Used to be the neighbors stared, not knowing what to think. Now it doesn't get a second look. In Michigan there is "no law against open carry," but in the words of my instructor, "Just try it!" I would love to see the MCPL cover it also. In other words if you have a CPL, you don't get the hassle from the cops due to people shrieking. If nobody complains, no harm no foul. If they do, "CPL? Sorry for the inconvenience sir."

Before anybody starts, I agree with you that if there isn't any law against it, cops shouldn't be hassling you anyway. Trust me, in MI they will. You may win in the end, but at what cost? And how many times are you going to go through it? The CPL should be a pass for the grey areas such as "open carry" and "printing."

"Sorry lady, he's licensed. He can carry that gun as legally as I."

Stauble
October 15, 2006, 08:46 PM
i wish Florida would allow open carry. it would be soooooo much more comfortable. its quite annoying carrying around a conceled weopn in 90+ degree weather.

SoCalShooter
October 15, 2006, 08:52 PM
1911ron: seems a little silly not to allow people to carry into a restraunt that sells alcohol, all you gotta do is post a sign that says "any person carrying a firearm cannot be served alcohol" problem solved...atleast to me anyways.:confused:

glennv
October 15, 2006, 09:13 PM
I have never seen anyone open carry in RI but it is legal. You'll get shot though.

FTF
October 15, 2006, 09:23 PM
Open carry is OK where I live if you have a permit.

I've open carried just a few times. Going to the range, I've open carried. A few times I ran out to get gas and said to heck with putting on a bigger shirt and just left it open instead. At my apartment going to check the mailbox, take out the trash or run to my car for something I open carry just because it's just a 1 or 2 minute thing.

Normally it's concealed. I will, however admit that I really don't make much effort to avoid printing. It's concealed, but if someone looked hard enough I'm sure they could figure out I had a pistol, if they knew what to look for. Thing is, most people don't even look, notice or even care. Most probably think it's a blackberry or something.

I don't open carry because I don't want people staring, it scares people in the city and I would rather have it as my ace in the hole to tell the truth.

Zonamo
October 15, 2006, 10:13 PM
what the heck does "anomylous" mean (since I'm in an orange, anomylous state) ?

As others said, anomalous means that open carry is allowed in certain places and/or under certain conditions. For example, Nevada is a traditional open carry state but local jurisdictions like North Las Vegas have severe restrictions-like a little piece of New York or Illinois out west

Gold Star states have open carry explicitly allowed by law with no pre-emption, meaning local jurisdictions cannot pass more stringent rules.

Check your specific state at the open carry website to see what and where there are restrictions.

Open Carry.Org (http://www.opencarry.org)

Open carry used to be a lot more common when I was younger, before the state started to get a little Californicated and Illinoid. A friend used to work at the County dispatch and said they often had calls like this, especially during snowbird season:

Frantic caller: There's a man walking down the street with a gun!

Dispatch: Calm down ma'am. What's he doing?

Frantic caller: He's got a gun!!!

Dispatch: And?

Frantic caller: And?! He's got a gun!!! Aren't you going to do something?

Dispatch: You're not from around here, are you ma'am? :p

grampster
October 15, 2006, 10:57 PM
I am a proponent of concealed carry. I am opposed to open carry.

I believe knowledge is when one knows that he doesn't know. Universal concealed carry imparts the possibility that people around one MAY be armed. This knowledge may mitigate criminal acts but at the same time not distress the Eloi. Two plusses. The less an armed person does to draw attention himself, the safer everyone is, especially the fellow who is carrying concealed. This sort of safety is accomplished by not having to give up any civil right. Some may say that open carry is the ultimate freedom. I don't necessily agree. I believe concealed carry creates more freedom because one gains or keeps the freedom of anonimity as well as keeping and bearing arms along with the rest of the freedoms we have.

Let's face it. Why in the world do we in the firearm culture seem to think that openly carrying a firearm around in public is a necessary exhibition to ratify the fact that we are a free society?

You know, the 2A speaks to the fact that the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Why? Well, it was because the founders, those of the anti federalist ilk, were afraid of standing armies. They insisted upon a B of R.

They knew a "militia", all able bodied men of a certain age, was necessary to the security of a free state, paticularly since they, the founders, were not enthralled with standing armies. Since the militia was not a standing army, they needed to have private arms; "...shall not be infringed". The founders also required that militia be "well regulated'. Yes! I understand regulated is a term that had a different meaning then than it does now. Well regulated meant that the militia be familiar with the manual of arms; how to use and handle them, so that they would be a usefull tool if needed.

To walk around with a sidearm openly displayed, or to be accustomed to walking around with a rifle slung over one's shoulder while at Wally World picking up pablum for the baby, is not efficacious, nor is it necessary for the readiness of an individual. To expect that a person who chooses to be armed be a might circumspect in doing so, does not, imho, infringe my right to keep and bear arms.

Carrying a proper sidearm, concealed, on the other hand, does smack of being properly regulated because one has to put some thought into the type of firearm being carried and the manner it is carried. It also implies that a person might have indulged in some practice in going around in that state. The person who would put this kind of thought into the manual of arms, probable would be more effective in the proper handling of a circumstance.

Just my .02˘. Oh, and I've been carrying concealed since 1964 and never have felt the need to do otherwise.

NineseveN
October 15, 2006, 11:21 PM
grampster, that's awefully shaky reasoning if one were to use it as an argument to prohibit what others do. If that's your own mantra for why you don't do it, kudos to you, but that kind of insight doesn't really make a compelling argument in regards to the conduct of others.

Just a handful of shillings for thought.

SoCalShooter
October 15, 2006, 11:35 PM
A show of force can be a deterrent in its self and so can covert force. i say both are useful.

grampster
October 15, 2006, 11:51 PM
The previous remarks are just my thoughts, nothing more. I wonder why some folks are so adamant about open carry. I've handled firearms most of my life, about 50 years. If I was out and about and observed someone openly carrying a sidearm, it would cause me to wonder about the motivation of that person.

I do not live my life in condition red. I see no point in that. Carrying concealed, to me, is like carrying a pen, or a pocket knife, some cash or a debit card. It's about being prepared to be able to accomplish things if necessary. Open carry bespeaks aggression rather than preparedness. I no more see the need to openly carry a firearm than I do walking around with wad of cash in my hand.

Zonamo
October 16, 2006, 12:17 AM
If I was out and about and observed someone openly carrying a sidearm, it would cause me to wonder about the motivation of that person.

Your belief that someone openly carrying is somehow "trying to make a point" is one of those misperceptions that more common open carry would dismiss.

Time was around these parts it was the only way one was allowed to carry, and as such was a display that caused no one to "wonder about motivation."

Today it's still the only way to carry for those that don't want or don't have a "special government permit," and it's still a sight more comfortable even for those of us that do.

Maybe a permit is required in your state to carry a pistol at all, and maybe you don't like to openly carry yourself. I respect your personal choice.

But IMHO there is no more reason to question the motivation of someone for "brazenly" carrying their firearm openly than there is to question someone for "surreptitiously hiding" a pistol on thier person.

If they are peacefully and lawfully carrying thier sidearm, it shouldn't matter one iota whether it is carried concealed or in plain sight.

LoveMyCountry
October 16, 2006, 12:47 AM
Grampster,

Let's face it. Why in the world do we in the firearm culture seem to think that openly carrying a firearm around in public is a necessary exhibition to ratify the fact that we are a free society?

Why did Rosa Parks not just move to the back of the bus? Why did black students engage in peaceful sit-ins at whites only lunch counters?

If you cannot exercise your rights, do you really have them?

LoveMyCountry

RNB65
October 16, 2006, 12:47 AM
Open carry is like gay men kissing in public. It may be legal, but it makes everyone nearby uncomfortable.

When folks who are neutral on the gun control issue are made to feel uncomfortable in public places, it will only cause them to move away from their neutral position and towards supporting gun control efforts. Not good.

I say carry concealed or don't carry at all.

Zonamo
October 16, 2006, 01:07 AM
It may be legal, but it makes everyone nearby uncomfortable.

I hear there are places where women taking off their burhkas in public "makes everyone nearby uncomfortable." If a right that irrationally offends should not be exercised, then those women should stay covered up so as not to hurt the cause of rights for women.

Of course in other places, uncovered women doesn't cause discomfort to others.

Good thing there are still places in America where an uncovered gun doesn't either.

NineseveN
October 16, 2006, 01:08 AM
Open carry is like gay men kissing in public. It may be legal, but it makes everyone nearby uncomfortable.

Well yeah, because we all know how gays kissing in public turned out...

Gay shows on TV, well known figures "coming out", homosexuality becoming more and more accepted overall. Yes, what a terrible example to set. :rolleyes:

PlayboyPenguin
October 16, 2006, 01:13 AM
homosexuality becoming more and more accepted overall.
It has!?!? Damn, so much for doing this just to pi$$ people off. :)

Open carry is like gay men kissing in public. It may be legal, but it makes everyone nearby uncomfortabl
Trust me, it dosn't make everyone uncomforatable. :)

And you know what they say about people that get too uncomfortable about it... they are afraid they might like it too much.:evil:

Although I do hate to see most types of PDA. I think some things are for behind closed doors or private situations. I closed mouth kiss is ok but people that go at it in public gross me out.

LoveMyCountry
October 16, 2006, 01:14 AM
When folks who are neutral on the gun control issue are made to feel uncomfortable in public places, it will only cause them to move away from their neutral position and toward supporting gun control efforts. Not good.

A move from neutral can go both ways. How many people on that bus or in that restaurant came away with their views changed for the better? Why would seeing an armed person going throughout their day, doing the same things as everybody else, raising a family, shopping for groceries, make them think anything bad about guns?

LoveMyCountry

razorburn
October 16, 2006, 01:17 AM
expvideo, you open carry in Everett? Wow, I'm rather shocked you haven't been hassled by the police for it. I would consider open carry if I did not worry about the hassles that would come iwth it.

Axman
October 16, 2006, 01:24 AM
Hmm, walking down a nude beach with nothing, but a six gun on, not a good picture....

I shudder to think where you might conceal it, OWWWWCH!

Zonamo
October 16, 2006, 01:28 AM
I can understand the rationale of those that prefer to carry concealed for "tactical" reasons. But objecting to open carry because it might instill hoplophobia in others is the worst of reasons to oppose the practice.

Hoplophobia (n.): The irrational fear of weapons, correctly described by Freud as "a sign of emotional and sexual immaturity". Hoplophobia, like homophobia, is a displacement symptom; hoplophobes fear their own "forbidden" feelings and urges to commit violence. This would be harmless, except that they project these feelings onto others. The sequelae of this neurosis include irrational and dangerous behaviors such as passing "gun-control" laws and trashing the Constitution.

-- Eric S. Raymond

strambo
October 16, 2006, 03:35 AM
I fully support everyone's (every citizen's) right to do so for whatever reasons they want. Whether or not I would depends on the situation. Even if I thought it was the stupidest idea in the world...that would (should) have no impact on someone else's right to do so as long as it isn't endangering anyone else's rights (which it doesn't).

Glockfan.45
October 16, 2006, 11:23 AM
Open carry is like gay men kissing in public. It may be legal, but it makes everyone nearby uncomfortable

:D Dammit I got soda all over my keyboard now.

Hobie
October 16, 2006, 01:05 PM
It has likely already been noted that open carry is permitted in VA and in fact is permitted in some places concealed carry is verboten.

longwatch
October 16, 2006, 03:01 PM
Sometimes you may have to open carry because that is the only legal way to be armed. In Virginia, OC is a the only legal way to carry when in a restaurant or club that serves alcohol. OC is also the only option for those who are under 21, or those who don't have a permit or can't get one but can be legally armed. We haven't seen any backlash against gun right here in Virginia since open carry has been revived. People do not freak out, and for the most part do not notice or do not overtly react if they do. I know this because I not only support open carry I do it often. I live in the suburbs of Washington DC and in about 2 years of regular open carry around here I haven't had the cops called, or been harrassed by anyone, or been kicked out of any place. It wasn't always this OC friendly though, it took publicity and few incidents like the Champs and Starbucks deals to get it this way in Virginia.

ocam
October 16, 2006, 04:01 PM
I'll admit I am guilty of the concealed carry of arms( I am licensed). I don't feel comfortable about it, but I feel forced to by current attitudes. I do this to ensure I don't alarm people not used to seeing them. I would think that it would be opposite of what they should be alarmed by.

For example, carrying a baseball bat openly is perfectly legal. I've never had any funny looks when having one in hand. Now if I was to walk up to you with a bat concealed behind my back and you noticed, you would be right to conclude I was up to something. I would rightly get shot.

Walking open carry, I am letting you know that I am armed and therefore I mean no harm. I am not hiding a gun and waiting for when you least expect it to use it on you. In fact when I carry concealed, that is my worry, someone will misinterpret my carry.

Concealed weapons were thought to be the domain of outlaws and highwaymen previously in our history. Trying to search for quotes but I could only find the one below. I know there is a great one by Benjamin Franklin.

ocam

"I find this corpse guilty of carrying a concealed weapon and fine it $40." - Judge Roy Bean, finding a pistol and $40 on a man he'd just shot

mikeb3185
October 16, 2006, 04:23 PM
i would like the option, only because in new york conceild means conceild, if someone sees your weapon you can kiss your permit goodbye:cuss:

Sry0fcr
October 16, 2006, 04:41 PM
I support it and I'd do it just to stop worrying about what kind of holster to buy...

Mr. James
October 16, 2006, 04:51 PM
I support it and I often do it. Most people assume I'm a cop. Just yesterday, had a hilarious conversation with the owner of a local bagel shop who tried to assure me that I am, or at least had been at one time, a policeman. :) He never said as much, but I'm pretty sure it had to do with the 1911 he'd glimpsed on my hip.

In fact, as mentioned, in Virginia, I am forced to uncover if I go into a restaurant that serves alcohol.

GeorgiaGlocker
October 16, 2006, 04:58 PM
I support it but I would not do it. I only conceal carry. Although here in Georgia, open and conceal carry are both legal. Some states just allow open carry. That is why I support it. I just feel more comfortable with conceal carry. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dr.Rob
October 16, 2006, 04:58 PM
I do it and I support it... Colorado is an open carry state.

but some common sense is in order.

Starpping on a hi-drag lo-speed tac rig and a half a dozen magazines to go fetch a gallon of milk at #:30 am isn't the same as packing a sidearm on a hike.

One might assume in situation 1 that you are looking for trouble, while in situation 2 that you are just 'woodsy.'

If anything when you are carrying, concealed or openly you should take pains to be polite and courteous.

ZeSpectre
October 16, 2006, 05:42 PM
I support it but only do it when I'm out in the back country. It's a huge no-no in DC where I work, and not particularly well received in Northern VA where I live. Go down towards Fredricksburg or Orange...nobody bats an eye, especially during hunting season.

ajax
October 16, 2006, 06:10 PM
Some guys have said they don't want the bad guys to know they're armed ,or the police so they won't get hassled. I have to agree with Tall Pine on this one. It's your constitutional right to own and carry. If a criminal see's me armed he knows the possible out come. If he see's me without a gun he see's a possible mark. I'm not worried about the police because I'm a law abiding citizen who would be exercising his constitutional rights. I just wish I lived in a state where I could make that choice, instead I'm still fighting it out in the great state if Chicago.

LaVere
October 16, 2006, 06:28 PM
I would like to be more comfortable with open carry here in Michigan. I have a CCW but sometimes I take off my outer garment or jacket and then stop for gas or other quick stop. I then have to put the garment back on. To do that sitting down is not easy for me. So I get out, standup, then place my jacket on. " just a pain." I may just stop that all together. I have, just to amuse myself removed the gun set on the floor and go in with just the hoster showing. In the colder seasons I have too many layers on so I'm always concealed.
:)

LoveMyCountry
October 16, 2006, 06:48 PM
I just wish I lived in a state where I could make that choice, instead I'm still fighting it out in the great state if Chicago.

Ajax,

It's simple, just point your car west and go 1896.94 miles.:D

LoveMyCountry

got cope?
October 16, 2006, 06:58 PM
If more people did it, the uncomfortable would become more comfortable seeing someone open carry.

Standing Wolf
October 16, 2006, 07:03 PM
People who are afraid to exercise their civil rights don't still have them.

Byron Quick
October 16, 2006, 07:10 PM
If you don't assert rights, don't be surprised when the government follows your lead, friends.

Penguin, your poll needs another option: "I support open carry, have open carried in the past, and will do so in the future."

Before Georgia issued carry permits, open carry was legal without permission. Of course, our masters didn't like that and while concealed carry with permission was allowed eventually, the same statute made open carry without a permit into the misdemeanor of 'carrying a pistol without a license.' Second offense is a felony. The relevant statutes might make the second offense a felony only if penalties are still in effect over the first offense-I'm not sure of that.

As far as people being made uncomfortable by open carry...I don't know how or what is being carried to make them so uncomfortable. My experience with open carry is different in that the vast majority of people-about 90%-are completely oblivious to open carry. Most of the remainder notice but ignore it. The only comments I've ever had were assumptions I was an undercover police officer.:rolleyes: Right. Shoulder length hair, bell bottoms, and sandals-open carrying a BHP...I'm undercover alright.

Open carry bespeaks aggression rather than preparedness.

Therefore, grampster, concealed carry bespeaks hidden aggression, correct? Simple tests reveal fallacious logic, friend. Aggression is an act not an attitude. It is possible that open carry could be a symptom of aggressiveness in an individual but concealed carry wouldn't change that attitude or even hide it.

ugaarguy
October 16, 2006, 07:28 PM
I support it and do it (when I'm not deployed). Idaho is open carry. I carry when bumming around in the desert sage there and when I'm out at the range. No one there really cares beause most everyone owns a gun or several guns.

skers69
October 16, 2006, 08:31 PM
I wish I could. Both sides of Kansas City and the towns around it have laws on the books that prohibit open carry. I would do it in a heart beat if I could. Missouri has had CCW for a while. Kansas just passed it and will issue permits starting Jan 1. This brings up a good point.

I really can not CCW in Kansas. My work will not allow me to have firearms on company property. So during work hours I am forced my hand and can not CCW. I can not afford to lose my job. And most big corps have the same type of restrictions on weapons on company property.

At Home I could do as I wish. On the open streets I can not defend myself. I have been struggling with this for some time now. Do I get a CCW permit and somehow find a place to park off of company property? This would expose my vehicle to possible theft....gun inside. Or do I just submit to the man and not have the ability to defend myself? Hard questions that I have not come up with any answers to.

I wish open carry was a option.:banghead:

stevelyn
October 17, 2006, 10:01 AM
Support and do when appropriate for me.

Mousegun
October 17, 2006, 10:42 AM
The Tn. lawmakers (for a major change) were smart enough to keep the word "concealed" out of the equation when the carry laws were imposed. This prevents someone from getting pegged if their gun accidentally shows while in public.

The problem is that there are too many displaced northeners, like myself, who may freak if they saw a horrible gun:uhoh::eek: because many have come from states that just don't get it yet, ---- like myself.

But now that I have displaced, I have seen the light (and it is often the flash of the muzzle while at the practice range):what: and although open carry is an option in Tn. I choose to keep it closed as not to shake up the hood.

cbsbyte
October 17, 2006, 12:45 PM
I support, though don't practice, open carry for hunting, hiking, camping where legal and on ones own property but not for walking around town. I just don't see the point in it since CCW is muchless attention graping in public. Who wants to be constantly annoyed by police yelling to drop your weapon everytime a blissninny calls the police about a armed man on the street. Society has changed too much to allow open carry in public. In Mass it is legal to open carry in public but is ill advised since one could get arrested for brandishing and loose ones CCW. The only times you will see people open carry is during hunting season(with a hunting permit) or on private property with permission of the owner.

Carl N. Brown
October 17, 2006, 02:02 PM
I saw a guy in plain clothes at the Wal Mart open carrying in a
holster and I thought nothing much of it. He could have been
off-duty police or a citizen with a handgun carry permit (like me).
I don't think too many people gave him more than a first glance.
No one got bent out of shape over it.

My only problem is, car-jackers or stick-up men would know who
to avoid in the parking lot.

JesseL
October 17, 2006, 03:56 PM
I support and practice open carry. The area I live in may be the open carry capital of the US :D .

In a free society, nobody should be afraid to do something that is legal and safe just because of the irrational concern it may cause others. If people are alarmed by the sight of my weapon, that is their problem - not mine. I can't be responsible for the phobias of every irrational person out there. There is nothing more special or deserving of consideration about hoplophobes than there is about people who are afraid of black cats or bright colors.

Tess
October 17, 2006, 05:39 PM
The previous remarks are just my thoughts, nothing more. I wonder why some folks are so adamant about open carry. I've handled firearms most of my life, about 50 years. If I was out and about and observed someone openly carrying a sidearm, it would cause me to wonder about the motivation of that person.

I've handled firearms most of my life, about 50 years, too. I don't wonder about anyone else's motivation. If someone's carrying a weapon and I know about it, I know what I need to do. Since I'm naturally law-abiding anyway, no big deal.

Tess
October 17, 2006, 05:40 PM
Many of us who live in Northern Virginia carry openly.

I've found that most of the people with whom I come in contact don't even notice. That tells me something.

No, I won't carry in DC. Won't take a job there. Won't spend my tax dollars there. Don't cross the bridge(s) if I have to spend money - why should my tax dollars go to support suppressive regimes.

You might want to go to opencarry.org and sign up for our open-carry get together on Friday night.

cropcirclewalker
October 17, 2006, 06:57 PM
but I don't wanna advertize I have a firearm on me. The element of surprise has some merit. The element of surprise especially has merit if one is laying a trap.

Me? I'd druther use a repellant.

All that blood is so messy.

Let it get on the bad guy or his surprisingly armed potential victim.

ProguninTN
October 17, 2006, 11:51 PM
"We should be able to bear arms in any way we see fit. This could include open carry, concealed carry, or even long guns on a sling. "

-ProguninTN

My take on open carry, originally posted at http://www.opencarry.org. ;)

MatthewVanitas
October 18, 2006, 12:12 AM
If you're in TX and interested in legalizing Open Carry, be sure to check out the Texas Citizens Defense League. They just started out, so nowhere near as powerful yet as VCDL is in VA, but we've got to start somewhere.

See the link in my sigline, and feel free to toss it into your sigline too.

You don't necessarily have to want to OC yourself, but I think most of us can agree that banning it doesn't make much sense,

-MV

PlayboyPenguin
October 19, 2006, 09:57 PM
I am suprised by the number of people that are wanting to open carry. Seems to be around half.

I am not suprised that 5% where completely against open carry since it is something I have just opened my mind to myself.

I do have to support a couple people that question the motives of those who want to open carry. I still find myself wondering why some guys want to do this. I am sure alot of them want to do so for comfort or as a deterent (even though I think it just makes the bad guy have to be more agressive) but I still think there are alot of guys out there that somehow equate it with manhood or importance.

We all know the guy in high school that was a little too wrapped up in his gun and the "black helicopter" crap. The type that wore aviator glasses and an artillary jacket all the time. If you didn't know of that guy then chances are you were that guy. :D

NineseveN
October 19, 2006, 10:55 PM
I do have to support a couple people that question the motives of those who want to open carry. I still find myself wondering why some guys want to do this. I am sure alot of them want to do so for comfort or as a deterent (even though I think it just makes the bad guy have to be more agressive) but I still think there are alot of guys out there that somehow equate it with manhood or importance.

We all know the guy in high school that was a little too wrapped up in his gun and the "black helicopter" crap. The type that wore aviator glasses and an artillary jacket all the time. If you didn't know of that guy then chances are you were that guy.

In all fairness, that's the same snarky attitude you had towards everyone that carried when you first came here; I wouldn't be surprised if your attitude in regards to open carry will change in time. At least I hope.

PlayboyPenguin
October 19, 2006, 11:04 PM
NineseveN,

I will always wonder that about people because those people do exist. To deny that is just fooling yourself.

Just like everytime I see someone coming to an intersection I am passing through I wonder if they are going to stop at the sign. Most people do but you get the occasional horrible driver.

Am I willing to say I don't want anyone doing it because some guys are not doing it for the right reasons in my opinion?? No, of course not.

carterbeauford
October 19, 2006, 11:06 PM
I still think there are alot of guys out there that somehow equate it with manhood or importance.

Well if the law allowed me to walk around with my pants down I'd just do that, but I am limited to carrying a gun for now.

No offense intended but I think what we have in your post is a failed connection. Oregon is an open carry state, the only advice I have is for you to try it yourself. Don't knock it 'till you've tried it.

PlayboyPenguin
October 19, 2006, 11:13 PM
No offense intended but I think what we have in your post is a failed connection. Oregon is an open carry state, the only advice I have is for you to try it yourself. Don't knock it 'till you've tried it.
I opened carried a pistol on my hip (thigh actually) for 8yrs. It just didn't belong to me.

I am not knocking it. I am sure most people do it for legitimate reasons but you have admit that some do it for the wrong reasons.

If a person could not admit that much I would then start to question why they are doing it since self delusion is the strongest form of denial.

NineseveN
October 19, 2006, 11:23 PM
PP, if your gonna form an opinion on a large group of people, it helps to form it based on the majority, not the minority. Sure, those people do exist, just as plenty of priests molest children, that doesn't mean that any time a discussion of the priesthood comes up, one is being disingenuous or delusional if they don't make remarks about young boys and knuckles every chance they get.

PlayboyPenguin
October 19, 2006, 11:39 PM
NineseveN,

But wouldn't you wonder if the priest was one of the ones that did do that if you were leaving your children with him?

I am not saying everyone that open carries is compensating for their feelings of inadequecy.

I am just saying that some people do and I sometimes wonder which ones are which.

NineseveN
October 20, 2006, 12:00 AM
Sure, I also wonder who wrote the book of love and whether or not they put the ram in the rama-lama-ding-dong. I try not to build my ineternal policy upon suspicious foundations...seems a little silly to me.

PlayboyPenguin
October 20, 2006, 12:11 AM
But wasn't it Socrates (or some greek dude) that said "suspicion is a foundation of reason"...when you suspect something it causes you to look into the matter and find if it is true or not true. Therefore suspicion fosters knowledge. If I suspect someones motives it might cause me to learn more about them and then actually broaden my understand. So, I will continue to allow suspicion to play a factor in my thought process if it is ok with you. :)

NineseveN
October 20, 2006, 12:14 AM
There's a difference between process and policy, that's my point. I'm suspicious of everyone, but I don't necessarily hold them accountable to my suspicions.

Majic
October 20, 2006, 12:41 AM
Here is something to think about using your analogy. Criminals conceal carry illegally. So everytime you suspect someone of carrying concealed do you think they are a criminal?

PlayboyPenguin
October 20, 2006, 04:14 AM
Here is something to think about using your analogy. Criminals conceal carry illegally. So everytime you suspect someone of carrying concealed do you think they are a criminal?
If they are carrying concealed then how would I even know they are carrying?

If it became obvious that someone was carrying I would then wonder...are they a legal permit holder? are they an LEO? are they going to rob the place? Then I would assess the situation and determne which I felt was most likely the correct answer.

If it is an old man filling his gas tank at a gas station with a hip holster on I would think he was probably a retired cop or at the very least a permit holder. If it was a 17 yr old looking around nervously at a convenience store with a gun in his waistband I would probably come to another conclusion.

That question does not invalidate a critical thought process. It only reinforces the significance of being able to think things through and not be blind to the possibilities.

10 Ring Tao
October 20, 2006, 04:28 AM
Support it and would do it (IF I COULD DO IT WITHOUT BEING HARRASSED BY THE PO-PO).

jooos
October 20, 2006, 07:13 AM
I open carry here in Michigan when I feel like it. Never been harassed by anyone, hell I’ve had more trouble when I was in a store and my gun showed after I had to bend down to get something my son dropped on the floor, than when I open carry. I open carry because it is legal for me to do so, and I support everyone’s right to do so if the state laws say you can. If I lived in a state that didn’t support my gun rights I would move…

PlayboyPenguin
October 20, 2006, 08:08 AM
One thing I was thinking about tonight as I sit here unable to sleep at 5am, is that when I see someone with a rifle openly displayed in the rear window of their truck (you still see that sometimes in parts of Oregon) I am not bothered by it at all. I would automaticaly think of it as a defensive weapon. I think most people would feel the same way.

I wonder what it is about an openly displayed handgun that makes people a little nervous. Is it their abiity to be carried anywhere and brought to bear quickly without warning? If it is displayed then that is not a factor. Maybe it is an association of handguns with authority figures like LEO's that make people react badly. Face it, I think most people have an irrational dislike to some degree of the police.

Maybe it is just the way we were raised. The old "watch out, the bad guy has a gun" mentallity. Seems like in all the old movies the good guy was of course superior but the bad guy had a gun that the audience was aware of but the good guy wasn't.

Then again, maybe it has to do with the powerless feeling the unarmed person feels when seeing someone with the ability to defend themselves.

Duach Laidir
October 20, 2006, 09:15 AM
Down here on the real top of the world we don't carry, Open or otherwise.
There is a law against having any type of firearm for self defence. Only the Police and Military are allowed firearms for self defence.

Of course those polititians who are high enough on the pecking order have armed bodyguards for their defence; but that's not strictly self defence is it?

I would open cary if I could, I'd conceal carry ditto.

It's legal to open carry longarms, if one is licenced, but as the police explain, "...ony a fool would do it". There happens to be a law against wilfully causing alarm.

The Second Ammendment is the greatest piece of law in the world.

Guard it well.

SSN Vet
October 20, 2006, 09:29 AM
but I carry concealed....

I support it......

only reason I don't do it is because I don't have a open carry holster.

ApexinM3
October 20, 2006, 09:38 AM
Living in MD, I'd take what I could get, though open carry kind of defeats the purpose of a passive deterent.

That said, I've always wanted to sling my 686+ on my side, just for giggles!:D

Zach S
October 20, 2006, 09:46 AM
First off, I'll admit that I read the first post, voted for "I support it but would not do it myself," and then clicked "post reply." After this post, I probably wont come back to the thread.

Now that that's out of the way:

NC has a common law about "going armed to the terror of the public." I dont know exactly what it means. Most of the LEOs I've spoke to about it dont really know either. One said, as he understood it, it was legal to carry openly untill someone called and reported you. Since its such a gray area, I do not carry openly. Even if it wasnt, I wouldnt do it often.

I will admit that while not carrying openly, I have ran out to the store in the middle of the night and didnt exactly "conceal" whatever I had on me. Most people dont notice my lazyness, however someone else that carries, or a LEO would.

I do carry openly on occasion, however I do so when on private property, normally mine, my family's, or my girlfriends family, when doing yardwork or working on a car. It hasnt been a problem, and all my neighbors seem nicer when I'm armed (except for the guy right across the street, he's always nice).

TallPine
October 20, 2006, 10:56 AM
I wonder what it is about an openly displayed handgun that makes people a little nervous.
I dunno ... ask yourself that question, because it doesn't bother me or (apparently) most of us at all. ;)

Actually, I think that I am perhaps more relaxed around another person who is openly carrying a sidearm than if they are not.

I suppose what might bother some people is that they think that anyone openly carrying a sidearm must be a cop of some sort :uhoh:

Andrew Rothman
October 20, 2006, 03:58 PM
Oh, lordy, what a tempest in a teapot.

I have had a carry permit for three years, and I often carry openly. I did this week on the University campus and at a restaurant near there, and just the other night at a suburban restaurant. I regularly shop for groceries while open carrying.

I open carried when I took the family to an apple orchard/pumpkin patch for the afternoon.

No one notices. Really.

One of our local carry advocates had this to say on the subject:

"I swear I could drive a tank to the market and no one would notice if it was painted candy apple red and had the words 'Honda Accord' on it." - grayskys

PlayboyPenguin
October 22, 2006, 05:08 AM
No one notices. Really.
That is probably truer than most people realize. Especially when carrying concealled. All the times we worry about being made while carrying we are probably worrying about nothing. I just think most people think it is something else.

A gun is probably not the first thing a person thinks when they see a lump.

I had a contractor ask me the other day to borrow my tape measure because he assumed the lump he saw when I bent over was a tape measure on my belt.

JesseL
October 22, 2006, 02:00 PM
I think you would have to be carrying a pair of matching nickel plated longslide 1911s in tactical thigh drop holsters before most people would notice.

I've been open carrying for seven years and only two people have paid enough attention to ask about it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Open Carry Poll" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!