Sigarms Model P232 .380 ACP

PDA

Ladybug
May 15, 2003, 11:19 PM
Anyone have one or know anything about it? I am looking for a new, smaller gun for concealed carry, and read a good review of this Sig. Until I can finally live in a place with gun shops and ranges again, I won't be able to play around with any... but I'll go shooting before I buy anything. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this gun. Aside from being kinda funny looking, it seems to have everything I am looking for. I am a die-hard Beretta fan, and have never bought anything else, so any insight into Sig would be helpful too!

If you enjoyed reading about "Sigarms Model P232 .380 ACP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dave R
May 15, 2003, 11:45 PM
Have never shot one, but heard many nice things about them. Widely considered the best .380 pistol? Good reputation for accuracy and reliability.

Try a search at www.thefiringline.com, and you'll probably find a few first-hand reviews.

I have some experience with lower-priced alternatives. I own an FEG (Hungarian) clone. I have fired a Bersa Thunder several times. It has a good reputation as good pistol for the money.

But if you want the SIG, I can think of no reason not to get it. "Best in class?"

Tamara
May 15, 2003, 11:52 PM
I think they are the king mack-daddy of blowback pocket .380's. Like a PPK that works. I've even replaced the 442 in my vest pocket with a P232 recently as an experiment. (It sure does tote nicely, is roughly the same weight, and carries a couple more rounds, although it is longer and the chunky palmswells make the grip almost as wide as the J-frame's cylinder...)

Nick96
May 16, 2003, 12:17 AM
Funny looking?? I personally think they are the classiest looking of the .380 bunch - but to each their own.

The blue alloy frame version is about as light as a J frame S&W Airweight revolver (the lightest of this class of metal frame autos I believe). A bit pricey, but an accurate and reliable shooter.

Southern Raider
May 16, 2003, 06:43 AM
Wonderful pistol. The largish grips make it a pleasure to shoot, but make it the hardest pistol of its caliber to conceal. I had one and sold it because I wouldn't shoot it much being a 380 but couldn't conceal it well during summer months.

NC Shooter
May 16, 2003, 06:49 AM
I own one and love it. The only thing I can recommend is to add a set of Hogue grips.

Accurate, reliable and easily concealed.

MikeJ
May 16, 2003, 08:47 AM
I have the stainless version model 230 and really like it. The stainless weighs about 4-5oz. more than the alloy framed blued version. The primary differences between the 230 and newer 232 are that the slide serrations on the 232 are wider and the grips are different. Personally, I much prefer the 230 style grips over the newer ones. Mine has been 100% reliable with every round except the 90 grain Federal Hydra Shok, I've had a few FTF's with them. I use mine strictly for fun so that's not a big deal and it is dead on accurate. I also think it is a great looking gun, not funny at all ;) . Mike

DonGlock26
May 16, 2003, 10:56 AM
I had a P230 and sold it to buy a P232. The P232 had some re-engineering done to aid in reliability(jhp's) besides the external changes. It is the BEST .380 out there. I went with the light blued one (16oz) for CCW comfort. It is a tack driver to boot! I use 90gr Golddots and a Don Hume belt slide for CCW. I believe the Japanese Police adopted it in .32ACP as their sidearm.

Ladybug
May 16, 2003, 11:59 AM
Okay that's it, I'm getting one... It's not funny looking in a BAD way, just a different way - sure doesn't look like the Beretta .380 I used to have. Now I need to go back and read everyone's advice on how to get the spouse to agree to a new purchase (as I recall, I think I even gave advice on that thread, ha ha, but I don't remember what it was).

No4Mk1
May 16, 2003, 12:15 PM
I'm a bit late to the party here, but I carry a two-tone alloy/stainless P232 4-5 days a week. It conceals VERY well in a Comp-tac tucakble holster and is so light and thin that I hardly notice it is there.

As for reliability, I have found that as long as it is cleaned (with particular attention to the feed ramp) after every range session it functions flawlessly. I have had some FTF's after letting gunk sit on the feed ramp for a while between cleanings, but no other failures.

I personally think for CCW the Hogue grips are a must, but everyone has different sized hands, so you may like the factory grips.

One last thing, this pistol is scary accurate. I shoot as accurately with this pistol as I have with any larger/longer pistol I have ever fired. Even with the relatively short sight radius it goes where you point it....

I seriously doubt you will regret this decision!

Best wishes!

Edited to add one more last thing... ;) I also think this is one of the prettiest pistols made. I wish we had open carry here in Texas if only so I could get some nice hardwood stocks for it, some purdy leather, and wear this thing out on the town....

Coronach
May 16, 2003, 12:49 PM
Another vote FOR.

I carry one off-duty. I agree that it is largish for the caliber, but that makes it an absolute joy to shoot. Its just so...easy.

Mike

Ladybug
May 16, 2003, 06:28 PM
I GOT ONE I GOT ONE I GOT ONE!! :D Well, I wasn't really going to buy one TODAY, but I found a new one with night sights pretty cheap, so :D

It's adorable, and just playing with it, I love it already!

Jiml3
May 16, 2003, 06:42 PM
Congratulations! You've made an excellent decision. Enjoy, enjoy!

Gary A
May 16, 2003, 07:04 PM
I once had a stainless 230 that I traded away for obscure reasons. I now have a 232 and love it. Have to echo the testimonials of the others here and say the 232 is right at the top of the heap when it comes to .380s. Shooting it is like pointing my finger. Terrific pistol.

Tamara
May 16, 2003, 11:43 PM
Congrats! :cool:

Hawaiian
May 16, 2003, 11:47 PM
Congrats on a great gun. You will like it very much.
For compact carry.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=44101

Ala Dan
May 17, 2003, 12:44 AM
Greeting's Ladybug-

The SIG-Sauer P232 is a great firearm; but if you like it,
you will LOVE the SIG-Sauer P230 even more!:) :rolleyes: :uhoh:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Ladybug
May 17, 2003, 12:54 AM
Hee hee I'm so excited I gotta get back on here and say "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" :D

Okay, my husband is out of town, and I have no one else to share my joy with. Worse yet, I am supposed to be packing up the house NOT playing with my new toy....:uhoh:

Well, today was a "wasted" day (yeah, whatever) but tomorrow I'll be really good and pack all day - no playing with the Sig. Luckily we have no range in town so I can't go shoot it until next week when we visit the in-laws.

Okay, that was my last post I promise... I'm gonna go turn out the lights and look at the night sights again before I go to bed (did I mention they're ULTRA-COOL)? :D

Tamara
May 17, 2003, 01:08 AM
The decocker makes neat noises, too. ;)

Leadbutt
May 17, 2003, 02:23 AM
Not only is the 232 an improvement in some ways over the older 230,the nice thing for pocket or ankle carry is it can be converted to DAO, this is the way we issue them to our troops

jc2
May 17, 2003, 08:40 AM
Just be careful when you clean it. There's this real neat little piece (and its spring) on the left hand side that tends to fall of and get lost (the spring mostly) when you fieldstrip it. It's a real pity because it is such a neat little, well-engineered pistol otherwise (though I'll admit I would rather have a good PPKs).

PCRCCW
May 17, 2003, 10:21 AM
You did well...the Sig is in the top 3 .380's in My book....its a short book too! The CZ83, Beretta/Browning and Sig are the mechanical/functional equals to just about any gun made.......
You did well....Shoot well

Safety First
May 17, 2003, 07:11 PM
LadyBug, Please let me know how you like the P-232 .380, I am thinking about getting one for my wife before the year is out and would really like your opinion. I have a P-239 I bought for my CCW and I am hoping my wife will learn to shoot and CCW after she learns to shoot. I have narrowed it to the P-232 or Beretta Cheetah 85...So share your experience with the Sig after you have had time to shoot it a few times...

Ladybug
May 17, 2003, 11:24 PM
Lloyd, I'll update after I've had a chance to shoot it (next week). Funny, the Cheetah 84 was my first gun, and I really loved it. Just out of curiosity, why are you going for a .380 for your wife? Will she be carrying it? The Cheetah is really too big, I think, for a woman to carry concealed. I got the P232 because my .45 was too big and heavy to conceal easily, but for a bed-side gun, I'd rather have something more powerful than a .380. Also, has your wife gone shooting with different guns? I happen to really like the grip size and shape of Berettas, but everyone is different, and the best way to find out what she'll like is to let her shoot as many different guns as possible.

Tamara
May 17, 2003, 11:57 PM
Anybody know for a fact if the 232 will take Hogue grips made for the 230?

Ladybug
May 18, 2003, 12:02 AM
Anybody know for a fact if the 232 will take Hogue grips made for the 230?

I know the places that sell them sell the exact same ones for both guns (they have both the 230 and the 232 listed next to the same model number).

Tamara
May 18, 2003, 12:06 AM
Coolness!

Tasty wood grips for my 232, here I come! :cool:

Rich357
May 18, 2003, 12:13 AM
Congratulations, Ladybug on the new SIG P232!

I had a SIG P230 stainless (virtually the same as the P232) but got rid of it because it bit my hand. I missed the beautiful little .380 auto and when I tried a new P232 with Houge rubber grips I bought it. The Houge rubber grips help position my pudgy hand much better than the old plastic grips on my P230.

The P232 is beautifully made and accurate, however, being a blow back design it has a little more felt recoil than many standard 9mm recoil-operated pistols. The recoil on the P232 isn't bad, but it's nice to know if you do want a 9mm at some time, the felt recoil won't be any greater.

Now that you are a SIG owner have a look at www.sigforum.com

Rich

Rich357
May 18, 2003, 01:18 AM
Speaking of wood grips... here's a beautiful example of Houge grips on Jane's P232, posted on the SIG Forum.

http://sigforum.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=674608412&f=430601935&m=292608155&r=913608155#913608155

Rich

MikeJ
May 18, 2003, 03:34 AM
What are the specific internal differences between a 230 and a 232? Mike

Rich357
May 18, 2003, 03:45 AM
Hi Mike,

Here is a URL to a brief but useful discussion of the P230 vs the P232, posted to the SIG Forum.

http://sigforum.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=674608412&f=430601935&m=7756066231

Rich

DonGlock26
May 18, 2003, 07:59 PM
Mike,

The only thing I could find on the improvements was an article in the NRA's American Guardian magazine (June 1999). The article states that the P232 has more than 60 improvements over the P230 and was adopted by the Japanese National Police in .32ACP. A Sig magazine ad mentions "many internal improvements, they help assure that you have the maximum reliability you need when a handgun is your best means of defense."

Safety First
May 18, 2003, 08:49 PM
LadyBug, my wife is actually scared of guns, yeah I know...but I am trying to gingerly coax her and hope that I will eventually be successful and can then teach her the basics of handling/shooting.. I thought .380 would be good to get her started and love the looks of the cheetah 85 and Sig P-232,both seem to be good carry and starter type guns. that is what I have narrowed my search to...I thought once I bought the gun for her if she still refuses to shoot or carry I could then use as back up or summer carry..Oh well that's the thought process anyway...It seems most people really light the Sig, so good luck and I will wait to hear your impressions

Rich357
May 18, 2003, 09:21 PM
Hi Lloyd,

You might start by buying your wife a very good earmuff and those little soft ear plugs. If she uses both, at the same time, she may not mind being at the range.

If you are more interested in getting her started shooting than having an excuse to get a B.U.G. for yourself, suggest she start with a .22lr auto like the Ruger MkII, or Browning Buckmark. Maybe a .22lr revolver may be more to her liking. A S&W 617 would be nice.

Most .380 auto pistols have blow back actions and give more felt recoil than the recoil operated standard 9mm pistols. Have you tried shooting a Walther PPK/S or SIG P232? Have you tried shooting a Glock 26 9mm or SIG P239 9mm?

I know several women who, once they have gotten into shooting handguns, have found they love full sized 1911s.

Good luck,
Rich

FlyinGN
May 18, 2003, 09:44 PM
I just bought a new 232 sl and put on houge finger grips before I left the shop last saturday. Got to shoot it Tuesday. In a word.. PERFECT. It is without a doubt the sweetest gun that I own. It shot everything I loaded in it and was DEADLY accurate at 44'. I was hiting a 1" circle at 44'!! This is without doubt the best .380 out there. I started carrying it in place of my Kahr K40 and find it more confortable. I load it with CorBon Bee-safe fragment ammo and feel comfortable and safe with it all the time.. Im a Sig convert.. for sure.. Love the decocking noise too tamara:)

Frank

Pocket Pistol
May 19, 2003, 12:43 AM
Have a Sig 230 SL Stainless.
Love it :)
It is an absolute joy to shoot and is a tack driver.
It has to have the best trigger out of the box I have ever pulled.
Only problem is chubby grips.

FlyinGN
May 19, 2003, 06:19 AM
Then do yourself a BIG favor and get a set of the Houge rubber finger grips. It will transform the 230. Best $21 you could spend on it..
PS- I have em on my 232. Take a loook at the pic
Frank

If you enjoyed reading about "Sigarms Model P232 .380 ACP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!