FNC what is the going price?

PDA

makarov
May 15, 2003, 11:59 PM
A local shop had a guy sell them an FNC. It is not a folding stock type. I don't know much about them. I was considering a Bushmaster, but the FNC is appealing just because it is different. I know how much they paid the guy for the gun and may be able to get it for a little more. I searched on the auction sites and couldn't find any comparable. It looks like it has seen a little use, maybe 85% or so. How much is it worth? I'm in Washington state BTW. I have heard the triggers are kind of heavy. Should I pass and keep an eye out for a good deal on an AR type.

If you enjoyed reading about "FNC what is the going price?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
makarov
May 16, 2003, 12:53 PM
AR vs. FNC???

Can't believe nobody has an opinion! I don't think the FNC's are that common. Is $1200 or so a great deal? Should I stick with a $700 Bushmaster?

iamkris
May 16, 2003, 01:06 PM
I don't have any direct experience with the FNC. Try the falfiles.com site if you don't get the answers you want here.

A quick glance at the GunsAmerica site shows FNCs running at around $2500 - 2700. If you can get it for 1/2 that you are either getting a great deal or a problem child.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/

9mmepiphany
May 16, 2003, 02:58 PM
i would think many folks have even seen a FNC much less know what they are going for. before iamkris posted i would have guessed in the $2500 range, so if you can get it for $1200, it would be a steal.

the FNC is really a "product improved" ak-47 with a fal look to it.

the big plus is you'll be able to say "this is just like the rifle pacino used in the movie Heat"

Mute
May 16, 2003, 03:13 PM
A real FN FNC for $1200 would be a steal.

Correia
May 16, 2003, 03:44 PM
The FNC is a nice rifle. If you ever decide to go the class III route it is a good option as there are many registered FNC auto sears on the market and they don't cost that much for NFA items. (I believe it was the FNC that had more registered sears than rifles in the country).

SkaerE
May 16, 2003, 04:49 PM
you dont want the FNC, they're crap

tell me where it is instead...

Schuey2002
May 16, 2003, 09:48 PM
^^^^^ He's right. You don't want it for that outrageous price.

Tell me where it is and I'll make this awful situation go away for you lickety-split...;)

Soap
May 16, 2003, 09:51 PM
$1200 is below market.

El Tejon is also selling one I think if anyone is interested in laying out some Benjamins.

Tamara
May 16, 2003, 11:36 PM
(85%? You mean that 15% of the original finish has been worn off? :eek: )

Last year's Fjestad's claims anywhere from $1425 in 95% condition to almost two-and-a-half grand for unfired-in-the-box. Most street asking prices I've seen are actually north of that.

If you get it and you think it sucks, perhaps we could talk trade on my Beretta AR-70. ;)

makarov
May 17, 2003, 03:11 AM
I think there is more finish on it than that. It does look like it has been carried around in a truck a bit. If I have no intention of converting it to class III is it still a decent gun for target plinking? Seems like more parts and accessories are available for the AR's. Thinking of scope mounts etc... Looking at the Bushmaster V Match at around $900 or so. I wasn't even considering an FNC before the guy sold it to the local shop. I was curious about the gun so I decided to look it up on THR. Even if it is a good deal maybe I should stick with what I thought I wanted in the first place. Either a bolt action .223 or an AR. I will check on the FNC and find out exactly how much they want to make on it. How much do you think is reasonable to offer for a gun if you know they paid $XXX for a gun? A quick turnaround and %10 or maybe 15?

9mmepiphany
May 19, 2003, 01:06 PM
i think you should pay what they are asking before they discover what the fair market value really is. you can always trade/sell out of it and get what your heart desires.

El Tejon
May 19, 2003, 01:21 PM
Tamara, way North!:D

Tamara
May 19, 2003, 02:02 PM
Hey, El T, want a Beretta? I'm growing bored with it. ;)

El Tejon
May 19, 2003, 04:57 PM
Have a couple. Want to buy my cool guns?:D

Tamara
May 19, 2003, 06:40 PM
You ain't helpin' here... :D

I am trying to unload the coolgun that I am bored with for a coolgun I am not bored with. Maybe you need a trio of AR-70's and one less FNC? ;)

Handy
May 19, 2003, 06:56 PM
I was expecting somebody to up the ante with a FAMAS by now.

Tamara, Tejon, could you post a picture of AR70? I'm curious what the import ones looked like.

$1200 does seem a nice price for an FNC, if it is just finish wear. You could re-park it for $100.

Having said that, I would inspect the hell out of the inside of the gun. FNC full auto sears are relatively cheap, so it would be bad if this gun received its wear and tear as a machinegun.

But if the bore, bolt locking lugs and gas piston look reasonable, who cares about a little finish wear? It's a neat rifle, you'll enjoy having something different and it is supposed to be a tougher machine than an AR.

It is also preban, so a folding stock is an option. A preban AR is in that same price range.

The downsides are weight and fragile firing pins.

Tamara
May 19, 2003, 11:14 PM
Tamara, Tejon, could you post a picture of AR70? I'm curious what the import ones looked like.

Certainly. :cool:

Here you go:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=85111

Handy
May 20, 2003, 12:01 AM
Thanks, Tamara.

Kind of odd looking. Most of the pictures I've seen were of the carry handle variety.

makarov
May 20, 2003, 12:49 AM
That looks similar to the FNC with the fixed stock. I will go ask them about the FNC tomorrow. It is a lot of money for a gun. I have about $900 to spend right now and am debating on one gun vs. several lower priced specimens. Have been thinking about a .223 of some type for a while now. Either a bolt action and nice scope or an AR variety. I'm a sucker for weird guns though. If it is something out of the ordinary they will point me towards it to see if I'm interested. Picked up an E. German Makarov at the same store a while back. As far as they were concerned all Maks are the same. They were only asking $179 for it.

Tamara
May 20, 2003, 09:58 AM
Kind of odd looking. Most of the pictures I've seen were of the carry handle variety.

Those are AR-70/90's; they have carry handles, reinforced receivers, and take STANAG mags (unlike the earlier guns, dangit! :( )

Handy
May 20, 2003, 10:36 AM
Ah!

I thought the receiver looked a little shallow in the mag well area.

Neat rifle, either way.

makarov
May 20, 2003, 04:51 PM
Well I went back today and he said he was asking $2k for it. Pretty steep markup over what he paid the guy for it. I feel bad for the guy that sold it. He probably didn't know how much they were worth these days. That's OK for me, since I really was hesitant to buy it anyway and would have probably done the same thing and tried to sell it for a higher price. People should really research their gun's value before going into a gunshop. This wasn't some old guy with the family treasures either. I just don't think he realized how much it had gone up. He said he wanted at least $1000 for it and that is what he got. From what i understand they originally sold for about $500 when new.

If you enjoyed reading about "FNC what is the going price?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!