Flying out of O'Hare Chicago with handguns...

PDA

tommytrauma
October 15, 2006, 12:13 PM
So, I'm flying down to Texas in acouple of weeks to see an old friend. Will by flying out of O'Hare Chicago. I know to have my pistols in a locked hard sided case, ammo seperat and in the original box, yadda yadda... But, do peaceable journey laws cover me as I pass through Chicagoland???

Anyone? Bueller?

TIA
tt

If you enjoyed reading about "Flying out of O'Hare Chicago with handguns..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KellyTTE
October 15, 2006, 02:09 PM
http://www.gatago.com/rec/guns/24929064.html

I'd be more concerned with the rampant theft of weapons passing happening at O'Hare.

Yes, legally you're covered for the trip, but....

'Tilla

wdlsguy
October 15, 2006, 03:35 PM
As a nonresident of Illinois, you need to transport your firearms:
1. Unloaded, and
2. Enclosed in a case, and
3. Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state.
http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm

Your best bet is to transport them in federal mode:
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driverís compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

18 USC 926a
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html

LAR-15
October 15, 2006, 04:01 PM
FOPA 1986 covers you and there is not a single thing Chit-cago can do.

:)

Thin Black Line
October 15, 2006, 04:22 PM
I'd be more concerned with the rampant theft of weapons passing happening at O'Hare.

I know ppl who've had weapons stolen at airports --after they were handed
off to TSA :eek:

gunsmith
October 15, 2006, 04:28 PM
happens all the time

gwine
October 15, 2006, 06:38 PM
My son took his Bushmaster and Glock to Denver from Midway (Chicago) and had absolutely no problem either way. He got thru in less than 15 minutes.

Pretty nifty how they show up on the screen thru the case. :eek:

Panthera Tigris
October 15, 2006, 08:07 PM
I just flew out of O'Hare. I had my checked in suitcase locked. The lock was gone when it arrived at my destination. Nothing was taken however.

bluecowdawg
October 15, 2006, 08:13 PM
I maybe too paranoid but if it were me i think i would fed ex the guns to my destination. I feel like it would be worth the cost of shipping to be sure i got them.:)

sctman800
October 16, 2006, 12:49 AM
I think I would go with bluecowdog's idea, at least if going through Chicago. Flying out of somewhere like Indinapolis I wouldn't worry.

FOPA 1986 covers you and there is not a single thing Chit-cago can do.

Sorry, but that won't work for me; there is too much chance that you will be detained overnite or over the weekend and then have to sue to get the firearm back. Places like Chicago and New York City are not good places to spend the nite in jail, being right is not always worth the hassle. Jim.

El Tejon
October 16, 2006, 07:47 AM
Be careful no matter where you fly from. TSA stole boxed ammo and a couple of knives from me in Indianapolis.

Panthera Tigris
October 16, 2006, 09:08 PM
The airlines' business is dropping enough as it is. You'd think they'd stop treating us like sh**.

Thin Black Line
October 17, 2006, 09:42 AM
TSA stole boxed ammo and a couple of knives from me in Indianapolis.

Yes, TSA drops these things on the luggage line, but it's still the baggage
handlers who move it around between the terminal and the plane. I'd love
to see them go through a security check on their way out after work.

In any case, you get that TSA tag screaming out that there's something
special inside your bag. I wouldn't be surprised that some of those have
walked off with other passengers who got to the baggage drop before the
owner did. Often, the freakin exit door is only yards away and there are
cabs waiting.

IMHO the tsa tagged baggage should be tracked from start to finish and
handed off by a breathing attendant to the owner. I'd be willing to wait
the extra 10 minutes for it at my final destination.

El Tejon
October 17, 2006, 09:45 AM
TBL, no, it was not the baggage handlers it was TSA. I was flying to Dallas in July and they took stuff from me while the Indy airport police watched.

I'll see if I can find the thread. TBL, here it is:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=209034&highlight=TSA+range+bag+Indianapolis+Dallas

Thin Black Line
October 17, 2006, 05:00 PM
Yeah, taking your knives from checked baggage was BS. So they were trying
to justify seizure of the "loose" ammo as "undeclared?" Other than my one
box of CCW ammo, I typically buy extra after arrival if I need it. The only
thing I ever heard from TSA after checking a weapon was "Nice pistol."

tommytrauma
October 18, 2006, 04:53 PM
Thank you Sirs.

GHF
October 18, 2006, 05:01 PM
I have two rules I follow on guns and flying:

Never use a luggage tag that has any more than:

Name
Cell Phone Number
Personal Email Address

Use a bag that is cheap and non-firearm oriented; in my case, it is a cheap roller bag that my departed mother-in-law (one of the family's biggest antis) had.

If you enjoyed reading about "Flying out of O'Hare Chicago with handguns..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!