What do you all think of Galco?

PDA

JLStorm
October 15, 2006, 05:42 PM
I usually use small custom holster manufacturers for my weapons, but I recently got Galco's ankle holster for one of my guns and I absolutely love it. I was thinking of getting a paddle holster, and Galco makes one for my weapon (45 USP full size) and I have found to my dismay that many others do not make a paddle for this weapon with a few exceptions including Mitch Rosen who sells his for almost twice the price.

In the past I have shunned Galco as a big company and because of their size they must not pay as much attention to their holsters as the smaller holster makers who hand make every holster they sell. Now I am rethinking my stance, does anyone have more experience with their stuff??

Thanks! :)

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you all think of Galco?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MachIVshooter
October 15, 2006, 08:46 PM
Galco makes good stuff, but the prices are very near what you'd pay for custom. The first name I look at is Bianchi. DeSantis makes good stuff, too.

I also make a lot of my own, since many of the guns I buy or the modifications I make to them often don't agree with production holsters.

Try finding a low riding IWB for a 3" SP-101, or a shoulder rig for a Witness compact 10mm with custom recurved trigger gaurd.

VWTim
October 15, 2006, 09:05 PM
I don't mind Galco gear, but it's just overpriced IMO. For the same amount of money or a little more there are so many other custom makers out there.

sm
October 15, 2006, 09:20 PM
I like Galco.

Old Quality Company .

Nothing wrong with newer companies, or newer folks getting into various Firearms Related products.

We should not, in my opinion , never stop appreciating all the contributions of Galco, Hoppe's, Outer's, Bianchi, Metal Form, Mec-Gar, RCBS, Herrett's, Lyman, Pachmayr...etc., and so many others, that have given the Firearm Community so much, in so many ways, over so many years and still do.

HuntAndFish
October 16, 2006, 01:05 AM
certain Galco holsters. Others, not so much.

10-Ring
October 16, 2006, 01:14 AM
I like some of Galco's stuff...good workmanship, breaks in quickly, good fit and a quality product. As long as it fits your gun & the style of carry you have determined works best for you, it should be fine.

stevelyn
October 16, 2006, 12:06 PM
I like Galco and own one of their holsters and mag carriers, but they are a little too proud of their pricing for a non-custom manufacturer.

Ohen Cepel
October 16, 2006, 12:08 PM
Good gear, but I think they're overpriced.

aguyindallas
October 16, 2006, 07:17 PM
I have 5 Galco holsters in my inventory. 2 ankle holsters, 2 horsehide pocket holsters and a Fletch pancake holster. All of them are GREAT!

For those that consider them overpriced, call Becky at www.sportingarms.com

They will not have anything in stock as they are a home based FFL (with more inventory than many gun shops I might add), but they get it all in a couple of days.

They do most of their stuff at dealer cost plus 10%. I bought my last Galco from them (pocket horsehide for a J-frame) for like $38.00 tax an all.

Good stuff and I think decent prices. I am of the belief that a $50.00 Galco is going to do just as good of a job as MANY of the high end "custom" holster makers, and without the 6 month wait.. Lets face it guys, there is only so much "workmanship" that can go into animal skin. Of course they dont have exotic leathers like shark etc...but for regular carry leather, its all good stuff to me.

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you all think of Galco?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!