Massachusetts Gun Law info needed.


October 15, 2006, 04:42 PM
I used to live in Massachusetts and I kept up on the laws quite well, but I have a some what complex question regarding out of state purchases between private citizens.

can anyone help me out?? thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Massachusetts Gun Law info needed." here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
October 15, 2006, 04:47 PM
do a search on one of our members named Tory, he is a gun lawyer (in mass)
and seems to know his stuff.

October 15, 2006, 05:00 PM
Contact GOAL. They are the Mass law experts. They might be able to help you.

October 15, 2006, 09:05 PM
can anyone help me out?? thanks

Why not just take a chance and post your question here?

You can also try which is a New England-based firearms forum with more than a few knowlegeable shooters on board.

October 15, 2006, 10:12 PM
MA law doesnot even count on this question as sales betweeen private citezens in different states just happens to be a federal feloney.

October 15, 2006, 11:04 PM
any firearm bought out of state need to be reported to the Mass criminal history board via the FA 10 ( blue card) form

private interstate sales of pistols are a no no per fed law

Q: Should a special form be used when selling guns through a private sale?

A: The state form required for private sales is an FA10 Form. The FA10 replaced what was known as the "Blue Card" previously used for private sales. This is essentially the same form used by dealers except that instructions are included with each private sale form. This form can be obtained from any police department. The seller must fill out the form and forward it to the Firearms Record Bureau (FRB) within seven days of the transaction.
top of the page

Q: Do weapons purchased by Massachusetts residents while in another state have to be reported in Massachusetts?

A: M.G.L. c. 140, 128B, residents who purchase from someone other than a Massachusetts dealer, either within or outside the Commonwealth, must report the purchase within seven days to the FRB. The FA10 form, which can be obtained from any police department, is the simplest way to make such a report.
top of the page

October 16, 2006, 09:42 AM
Heres the deal, One of my fathers friends died and he had a sizeable gun collection they live in MA, I live in Texas. His wife has no FID Or LTC card , so I was wondering if I buy some firearms from her, I would need her to transfer them for me through an ffl. I have a friend that is on a Police department, he can transfer them for me. thanks

October 16, 2006, 09:55 AM

You must make the transfer through a FFL, at least on your end.

According to federal regulations, out-of-state transfers must be through a FFL. I don't know what the Wife in MA is required to do per MA law, but on your end, in TX, you will have to receive the guns through a FFL. Sorry, Charlie.

Shop around in the Houston area for a dealer who will give you a good deal on the transfer fees. Look for someone who will give you a volume discount. :D Don't pay transfer fees based on the gun value.

October 16, 2006, 12:05 PM
i believe the wife has 180 days to either get a FID/LTC or to sell the guns

it would probbily be easier for her to contact a local FFL to handle her side of the deal. especialy if she is unfamiliar with laws and the guns themselves
( wouldnt want to accidentaly send a loaded gun via mail)

(n) The transfer of a firearm, rifle or shotgun upon the death of an owner to his heir or legatee shall be subject to the provisions of this section, provided that said heir or legatee shall within one hundred and eighty days of such transfer, obtain a firearm identification card or a license to carry firearms if not otherwise an exempt person who is qualified to receive such or apply to the licensing authority for such further limited period as may be necessary for the disposition of such firearm, rifle or shotgun;
heres the page dealing with ownership/transfers

added: she can alwasy give me any she cant sell off :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Massachusetts Gun Law info needed." here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!