Burlington Vermont Police Safety Tips

PDA

romma
October 16, 2006, 10:34 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,219859,00.html Hard to believe Vermont would leave out the obvious...

If you enjoyed reading about "Burlington Vermont Police Safety Tips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fosbery
October 16, 2006, 10:45 AM
11. If someone tries to rob you, give up your valuables immediately.

What ever happened to backbone? :banghead:

Manedwolf
October 16, 2006, 11:01 AM
Last time I was in Florida, a lady in a Wal-Mart parking lot did that. Gave up her purse immediately.

The BG still stabbed her in the chest before running, anyway.

If someone is going to try such a high-risk, low-yield crime, you can't count on their mental state not being "psycho crackhead violent".

They also often don't believe you've given them everything, and want to check for themselves. That's easier with a body that's not moving.

SSN Vet
October 16, 2006, 11:02 AM
Here is the Burlington PD's checklist of ways to better protect yourself:

1. Don’t get complacent, no matter how safe you think your town is

So carry 100% of the time in condition 1!

Fortunately for the rest of the folks up in Vermont, the Liberals are hamstrung by the states constitution and some strong case history.

But try to tell the "enlightened ones" at UVM that???

ZeSpectre
October 16, 2006, 11:33 AM
As I read someplace (now I can't remember where)...

We're supposed to just roll over now, like this is some sort of new social contract.

that we should bow down to threats and just give up that which we spent our irreplacable time to earn is an insult to the fundamental dignity and principals of this country.

Deanimator
October 16, 2006, 12:53 PM
We're supposed to just roll over now, like this is some sort of new social contract.

Don't you know?

Robbery is a "tax".

Whenever I hear somebody say that, I ask them, "If robbery is a tax, what is rape?"

They never answer...

mp510
October 16, 2006, 01:37 PM
Romma-
It doesn't surprise me that Burlington isn't willing to state the obvious. After 2 shootings earlier this year, the Burlington mayor publicly demanded/ said that he wanted laws to require permits for carrying. Remember, Burlington is pretty far to the left compared to the more rightist and libertarian view that is held in many of the other parts.

cmidkiff
October 16, 2006, 02:19 PM
Robbery is a "tax".

I don't know if that's true or not, but I'd accept the inverse as an axiom.

:neener:

Someone trys to rob me without use of force, and I'm likely to decline their invitation. Someone tries to rob me by force... my life is being threatened, pure and simple.

Technosavant
October 16, 2006, 03:31 PM
If robbery is a tax, keep in mind that the people perpetrating such are NOT authorized by the government to collect any tax (if they can go to jail for it, there's no authorization).

Since they are unauthorized and the tax is at the whim of an unauthorized person, then we have had no representation regarding the implementation of this tax. Our elected officials were given no opportunity to voice their support or objection to such.

In our nation's history, our forefathers took up arms to fight those who would impose taxes without representation, and our nation was born as a result.

Therefore, is robbery is a tax, it is taxation without representation, and we uphold a Grand American Tradition and are at the height of patriotism when we resist such a thing by force of arms. :neener: :evil: :D

El Tejon
October 16, 2006, 04:13 PM
Is giving up your valuables also policy for the Burlington Police Department???:confused:

DRMMR02
October 16, 2006, 04:20 PM
What ever happened to backbone?

Oh it's on the ground next to that dumpster after the BG knifes you for being difficult.

MD_Willington
October 16, 2006, 04:25 PM

Does the $1.50 worth of 9mm in one of my 15 round magazines count :confused:

Technosavant
October 16, 2006, 07:03 PM
Does the $1.50 worth of 9mm in one of my 15 round magazines count

"Well, officer, it's like this: He said he wanted my valuables. The most valuable thing I had on hand was this 9mm pistol, so I pulled it out to give it to him. Since it's a bad idea to give anybody a loaded gun, I unloaded it first. The problem is, he was standing in the wrong spot.":D

Erebus
October 16, 2006, 07:26 PM
The copper on my JHPs is getting quite valuable, I'll give him all of that first! :D

gezzer
October 16, 2006, 08:58 PM
Burlington VT is Moscow on Lake Champlain. They gave the expected response.:cuss:

Optical Serenity
October 16, 2006, 09:19 PM
LOL @ Technosavant.

First step would be to get people to actually train and carry.

Standing Wolf
October 16, 2006, 09:44 PM
Whenever I hear somebody say that, I ask them, "If robbery is a tax, what is rape?"

Great line. What, if any, replies have you received?

River Wraith
October 16, 2006, 09:45 PM
I'm amazed at how close New Hampshire and Vermont are located, yet their philosophies could not be farther apart. One is "Live free or die" and the other is "Curl up and die."

Fly320s
October 16, 2006, 10:50 PM
River,

Vermont has better carry laws: no permit required for concealed carry.

ProguninTN
October 16, 2006, 11:19 PM
Burlington VT is Moscow on Lake Champlain. They gave the expected response

You can say that again. :rolleyes: Who else would elect Bernie Sanders to office ?

DoubleTapDrew
October 16, 2006, 11:34 PM
11. If someone tries to rob you and you don't take responsibility for your own safety, give up your valuables immediately and pray they don't kill you.
If someone tries to rob you and you take responsibility for your own safety, immediately respond as quickly and violently as you can, then call the police
Fixed rule #11 for them :D

Desertdog
October 16, 2006, 11:46 PM
That is the way the airline passengers did when hijacked. At least that's the way it was until 9/11/2001.

gak
October 17, 2006, 12:41 AM
I just hope you guys get to keep your guns after hillary takes office and appoints rosie o'donnell as head of the BATF.:p

Up north we have to listen to: "No one needs a semi-auto except law enforcement and military." quickly followed by: "Now that we've taken your guns, we want to see you beg for the cops to show up while you're being raped and murdered." of course followed by: "We must give the government and police unprecedented powers to *protect you now that we've taken your guns. Losing your freedom is for your own good."

*protect = show up after 35 minutes and bag your corpse.

DerringerUser
October 17, 2006, 12:53 AM
If someone tries to rob you, give up your valuables immediately.

How bout "if someone robs you, put a hole in them". Isnt Vermont an RTC state?

mp510
October 17, 2006, 01:36 PM
Isnt Vermont an RTC state?
Yes, they are one of 2 states that allow CC without a permit.

If you enjoyed reading about "Burlington Vermont Police Safety Tips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!