G.I. web sling

PDA

ks_shooter
May 16, 2003, 10:20 AM
I purchased a G.I. OD cotton websling from an Army surplus store to put on my AR-15. I thought it would be more "authentic" looking, and it is legal for Highpower competition. After putting it on the rifle and playing around with it for a while, I have come to the conclusion that I HATE the J-clip that attaches the sling to the butt end of the rifle. This has got to be the noisiest arrangement I have ever seen. Did soldiers actually fight in the field with this thing? How did they sneak around with that clip going CLINK, CLINK, CLINK every time you move? I like the sling it all other aspects, but that clip has GOT to go. I thinking about either a nylon clip or a loop of sling webbing with a snap so I can still un-hook it quickly. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "G.I. web sling" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve Smith
May 16, 2003, 10:25 AM
I certainly agree that the clip is noisy, but if you change that, your sling will no longer be Service Rifle legal. Of course, you could always switch to a leather 1907 style sling and you won't have the noise problem.

Art came in after me and said "tape." I thought of that, but its not SR legal either, so I skipped it. It is of course temporary, though.

Art Eatman
May 16, 2003, 11:00 AM
Tape.

Addendum: Okay, no tape. Ya cain't even hang a hanky, there?

Sheesh!

:), Art

QuarterBoreGunner
May 16, 2003, 05:47 PM
Steve said it; leather military type sling.

Check out Turner's Saddlery:

http://turnersling.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=TS

Great slings.

Blackcloud6
May 16, 2003, 07:28 PM
Yes the leather slings are better than the web slings for competetion. DPMS makes a nice black one for the AR.

However, if you have the standard front sling swivel on your AR a tight sling will cause the bullet strike to go all over the place as you are actually pulling directly on the barrel and bending it. You need a float tube to use a sling on an AR for competetion and they cost around $150.

Andrew Wyatt
May 16, 2003, 07:42 PM
why don't you get one of the nylon GI m-16 carrying straps?

if they're not service rifle legal, they should be.

Soap
May 16, 2003, 10:57 PM
They're good for carry if you tape 'em like Art sez. But for shooting, I'd prefer a leather sling like a Turner.

Byron
May 18, 2003, 03:00 PM
In regard to slings in combat, we removed them & taped the front sling to eliminate noise. The rifle was carried with the thumb looped through the front part of the sight/carry handle and the rest of the hand around the area where the barrel joins the receiver or over the shoulder grasping the barrel.
Byron Adams D Co., 3/8th INF, 4th ID Nam 68-69

If you enjoyed reading about "G.I. web sling" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!