Firearm training

PDA

kungfuhippie
October 16, 2006, 03:20 PM
I just had a discussion with a classmate about firearm safety. I explained that to hunt here in CA a hunter education class is required to help people not do dumb things and have accidents(Dick Cheney incident) I explained that people should be familiar with how their firearm works and concious of their own ability. That if they are not they will have bad hunting/shooting expirences and will then learn.

He suggested that people should have to certifty when buying any gun. Kind of like the CA handgun purchase rules (demonstrate safety opperation, magazine, chamber a snap cap and unload w/o firing, etc) plus have to fire a few round safely. He also mentioned licensing. I explained with nice words that it was a very stupied idea. That it would be a limitor placed on the 2nd Amendment, and take away a God given right.

Are there better arguements against this? Are you for it? Why?

Thanks in advance.

-Kungfuhippie

If you enjoyed reading about "Firearm training" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gcerbone
October 16, 2006, 03:26 PM
Change the scenario a bit...suppose that we had a test before you were allowed to vote. Something simple, like say that you could read a paragraph and answer some questions on it. You know, just to make sure that you can vote safely.
Would this be ok for your friend? If not, then why is it ok to restrict another civil right in the same way?

Dolomite
October 16, 2006, 03:43 PM
CA's laws aren't about safety - they're about control.

Compare the # of accidental shootings (or gun crime rates for that matter) in states with over bearing "safety" reqs versus those without.

And I'm 100% in favor of people taking firearms/SD training. But when it becomes mandatory, it's pretty much govermentalized into a useless waste-of-time.

kungfuhippie
October 16, 2006, 03:52 PM
Any of our civil rights could be used. I used free speech, you have to be certified in your abilities as an orator before you can speak your mind! And who's to say what that should be? Lets have an accuracy test before you can speak publically:barf: , preachers (emams too he's muslim) must submit their sermons for review. Politicians, Reporters and Protestors too!

We could create another wonderful organization based on the principles of the BATF and have them "protect us":barf: :barf: :barf: from a untrained speaker, and lets ban "assault speakers", and any speech that could be used by terrorists!

I've got it! The Bureau of Speaking Harmful-Intelligence and Thought; B.S.H.I.T. :neener: must be created, please write your representatives today!

I just used that on him...it worked, last week I explained the wonderful reasons for concealed carry and he agreed.:D He's one of the many in California that are sheeple liberals only because it's the cool thing to be.:cuss:

If we can rationally discuss the 2nd amendment, many times you will find open minded people that are only the way they are due to their enviorment.

If you enjoyed reading about "Firearm training" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!