FFL transfer in Houston needed

PDA

phantomak47
October 16, 2006, 05:21 PM
I am planning on getting a few firearms from a deceased family friend and I need an FFL in houston that recevies transfers. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "FFL transfer in Houston needed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wdlsguy
October 16, 2006, 05:33 PM
My condolences on your loss. I assume the other party lived in another state? If not, no FFL is required. Were you named in the will as the recipient of the firearms by any chance? If so, no FFL is required.

phantomak47
October 16, 2006, 05:37 PM
Its an out of state transfer, so I need FFL to FFL. thank you, this guy was a true old time gun guy.

oneshooter
October 16, 2006, 05:40 PM
What part of Houston do you live in? Knowing that I may be able to find you a dealer close to home.

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

springmom
October 16, 2006, 05:59 PM
If you go to Gallery of Guns www.galleryofguns.com you can find FFL's locally. It will let you put in your zip code and then tell you which ones are closest. :D

Springmom

CleverNickname
October 16, 2006, 06:23 PM
Its an out of state transfer, so I need FFL to FFL. thank you, this guy was a true old time gun guy.

Actually, you might not. This is why wdlsguy asked if you were named in the will as a recipient of the firearms.

18 USC 922(a)3 states that interstate transfers between non-FFLs are illegal, (http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html#a_3) but then gives an exception in 922(a)3A that says:

except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State

So if the will specifically named you as inheriting a specific firearm, then the will's executor should be able to just mail you the firearm.

Canuck-IL
October 16, 2006, 06:33 PM
then the will's executor should be able to just mail you the firearm.
if the gun(s) in question is a handgun, only an FFL can use US Mail. Mere mortals have to get ripped by UPS or FedEx. Long guns are OK in the mail.

And, even if not explicitly named in the will, only the receiving end has to be an FFL by law. Some FFLs will accept guns only from another FFL but that's a policy, not a law. If you encounter that, find another FFL...lists exist on gunbroker, Auction Arms and Gallery as noted above. Most retail shops will do it but you're often looking at $50 or more per weapon.
/Bryan

wdlsguy
October 16, 2006, 06:33 PM
mail you the firearm
Handguns need to go FedEx or UPS. Rifles and shotguns can go USPS, FedEx or UPS.

EdLaver
October 16, 2006, 06:34 PM
Check out republic arms in Houston. The owner's name is Art. I think there is a site too if I'm not mistaken.

phantomak47
October 16, 2006, 06:54 PM
it has to be FFL to FFL the way it works out, I have checked this out.

I am in The Spring area.

rangerruck
October 16, 2006, 07:26 PM
the cheapest in town , of a company nature is Park hill gun workds. All the guns stores do it as well, but they cost 50 dollars!!! Park Hill is a gunsmith shop( the guy is excellent) and he charges i think 25 dollars for one. and less money if doing two or more.

Harold Mayo
October 16, 2006, 10:30 PM
Tomball Pawn charges $25.

If you look hard on ar15.com there's a guy who only charges $10 or $15 but I forget what his handle is.

springmom
October 16, 2006, 10:56 PM
South Texas Tripods does FFL exchanges for Gallery of Guns. They are just north of Louetta, southbound I-45. Address: 23019 I-45 N. Spring Ph: 281-288-4422.

HTH.

Springmom

phantomak47
October 17, 2006, 09:11 AM
thanks for the help

If you enjoyed reading about "FFL transfer in Houston needed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!