So I joined the NRA this weekend!

PDA

Punkermonkey
October 16, 2006, 09:26 PM
I was at the Ontario CA gun show on Sunday and decided to join the NRA. Along with the welcome packet there was an additional application to join the Members Council. I am curious to know how many of you have joined the Members Council and how involved did you get? Also, what can I expect should I join?

If you enjoyed reading about "So I joined the NRA this weekend!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ETXhiker
October 16, 2006, 11:06 PM
Good for you. You have stepped quietly from the realm of sheep to one who fights the good fight. Reward enough, I think.

JoeHatley
October 17, 2006, 11:27 AM
Welcome aboard!!

Joe

PTHOR
October 17, 2006, 12:35 PM
What took you so long?

Rich K
October 17, 2006, 01:45 PM
Welcome aboard.

648E
October 17, 2006, 01:47 PM
You have stepped quietly from the realm of sheep to one who fights the good fight

:barf:

Sorry I'm a sheep because I don't like giving money to the radical religious right-wing which I am opposed to.

Also your donation will help them compromise your second amendment rights for helping them look more politically correct.

http://www.gunowners.org/

pharmer
October 17, 2006, 02:03 PM
Hey 648, NRA ain't perfect. Lots of weaselblood. But they are a POLITICAL FORCE. GOA, SAF etc. are great but it is the NRA the panty wetters always villify so they must be doing something right. Joe

JohnBT
October 17, 2006, 02:23 PM
"Sorry I'm a sheep because I don't like giving money to the radical religious right-wing which I am opposed to."

What kind of foolishness are you spouting off about? I don't know all the NRA members, but the ones I do know don't fit your profile at all.

John

P.S. - Punkermonkey, welcome and don't mind the ranters, you'll get used to them after awhile. ;)

Justin
October 17, 2006, 02:35 PM
Congratulations.

While it's not a bad idea to join other gun rights organizations, this is a great first step. After all, the NRA is our 800 lb. gorilla.

El Tejon
October 17, 2006, 03:11 PM
My father signed me up in junior high school. I became a Life Member in 2000 and a Benefactor Member in 2004.

I can also recommend joining GOA, JPFO, and your state's rifle and pistol association.

cedjunior
October 17, 2006, 03:14 PM
I've been a member of the NRA since my 18th birthday. Congradulations on becoming a member, and keep that membership current. You'll find out though that some people dont like the NRA and think the organization compromises too much. But that is exactly the reason why it is the most powerful of all the pro-gun lobbies. The NRA got smart and reformed its image to make it look less like a militia and more like a mainstream organization. This is the same tactic the anti-gunners used when they had their short lived success. They pushed for "sensible" gun laws because they knew no one would go for an outright ban. Well the NRA knows no one will go for an outright repeal of all gun laws either. Its a good idea to join your state and local groups too, as the NRA often works closely with them.

El Tejon
October 17, 2006, 03:30 PM
I'll (happily) go for an outright repeal!!!:cool: :D

progunner1957
October 17, 2006, 03:41 PM
Sorry I'm a sheep because I don't like giving money to the radical religious right-wing which I am opposed to. :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Congratulations and welcome aboard, Punkermonkey! The NRA - and ALL gun rights groups - need all the members they can get! I am a Life Member - paid for it on the NRA "Easy Pay Life" plan - I would recommend it to you and any other NRA member who is not a life member.

Shipwreck
October 17, 2006, 04:37 PM
Did they teach you the secret hand shake :neener: :neener:

beardxxxd
October 17, 2006, 04:44 PM
congrats..

now BUY A BIGGER MAILBOX!

JohnBT
October 17, 2006, 05:30 PM
"Did they teach you the secret hand shake"

Sure did - I learned to hold my billfold upside down in my hand while they shake all the money out of it. And I got this nifty pocket knife.

:)

John
Endowment Member

JesseL
October 17, 2006, 06:51 PM
I've been a Life Member for 20 years... and I'm only 28! Thanks Grandpa :)

cavman
October 17, 2006, 06:55 PM
Outstanding PunkerM!

Don't forget to Vote as well!

have a great day
cavman

RNB65
October 17, 2006, 07:10 PM
Every gun owner should be a member of the NRA because they are by far in the best position to fight for gun owner's rights. What other gun organizations you choose to join is entirely up to you.

antsi
October 17, 2006, 07:14 PM
Congratulations, good move, welcome!

shermacman
October 17, 2006, 07:21 PM
Despite the negatives that some will spout about the NRA it is a very good, very powerful organization. I am a life member and although they annoy me to death, I am active in their projects.

I am also a member of GOAL.

GlenJ
October 17, 2006, 07:28 PM
Congrats welcome aboard. When I joined I signed up for there e-mail notices, you get lots of ILA info that way.

Punkermonkey
October 17, 2006, 08:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the welcome! I really have no excuse for not joining earlier. I started with the one year membership and will probably renew as a life member. I REALLY need to join California Rifle and Pistol Association. I want to join the Members Council as well, depending on how active my chapter is.

bakert
October 17, 2006, 09:12 PM
Punkermonkey, glad to see you're an NRA member now. Disregard the nay sayers when it comes to the NRA. It's not perfect by any means but is still the best thing going for all gun owners regardless of whether you're a hunter, plinker, target shooter or just like to own and fondle them at times. I've heard all of the excuses for not being a member and in my opinion none of them really make good sense.

FTF
October 17, 2006, 09:38 PM
We're better off with them than without them, that's for sure! Welcome aboard the freedom train!

TexasRifleman
October 17, 2006, 10:33 PM
congrats..

now BUY A BIGGER MAILBOX!

Or you could just go online to the members section and click the box that says "Don't send me stuff" and you won't have to worry about it.

Whining about the junk mail is one of the worst excuses I've ever seen for not joining the NRA. One mouse click and you'll never hear from them again.

I get 4 maybe 5 pieces of mail a year from NRA, all regarding the ILA contributions I make.

If you enjoyed reading about "So I joined the NRA this weekend!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!