Browning Medalist

PDA

COLTGUY
October 16, 2006, 11:36 PM
ANYONE GOT ANY MEDALIST FOR SALE. THE PRICE ON THESE ARE GETTING HIGHER AND HIGHER

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning Medalist" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
October 16, 2006, 11:59 PM
One of these, you mean?

Well, gosh, golly! I dunno. I mean, I'd have to ask over $200 for it.

Seriously: Medalists are priced sky-high for two reasons: they haven't been made in over 30 years, and they're very fine shooters. Mine has one of the two sweetest triggers I've ever pulled. If I can ever manage to finish making target stocks for it, I've no doubt it will be a near-perfect match pistol.

Car Knocker
October 17, 2006, 12:54 AM
Probably get more response in the Handguns: Autoloaders section.

Onmilo
October 17, 2006, 09:52 AM
Try this place,
http://www.simpsonltd.com

TX1911fan
October 17, 2006, 10:30 AM
Coltguy, a couple of suggestions:

1. Turn off you caps lock and type like the rest of us. On the Internet, all caps means you are shouting. Most of us don't like it.

2. This is the second post you've made where you are looking to buy a gun. If you scroll down, you'll see that there is a classifieds section where you can look at guns being sold, and you can post that you want to buy a particular gun (WTS means want to sell, WTB means want to buy). These forums are for discussing guns, not for buying and selling.

1KPerDay
October 17, 2006, 03:32 PM
Mild hijack... anyone know where I can get a stop-open latch spring for one of those? I have a Challenger (not sure if it's a II or III but the slide, frame, and associated parts look identical to the Medalist above... so I don't think it's a III). Last I checked on numrich, etc., they were out of stock.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=857610&MC=

Someone told me that the spring for the Buck mark would work, so I ordered one, but it's the wrong shape.:(

1KPerDay
October 17, 2006, 03:36 PM
Mine looks just like this one, but with RH grips.

I also need a front sight retaining pin.

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?cPath=19_25&products_id=4861

1KPerDay
October 17, 2006, 03:37 PM
One more annoying question from me... anyone know what the vertical rod near the slide serrations is? Mine doesn't have that...:scrutiny:

http://www.simpsonltd.com/images/Handguns/C6511F.jpg

jaybar
October 17, 2006, 04:49 PM
anyone know what the vertical rod near the slide serrations is? Mine doesn't have that...

That vertical rod is a shell deflector, intended to keep the ejected shells from flying back toward the shooter or toward the competitor on the shooters right side. It was available only on the Medalist because of the of the size of the grips. Basically it is a piece of drill rod stuck into a vertical hole on the top of the right side grip. Held in by friction and eventually lost or removed by most serious competitors. Another solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

1KPerDay
October 17, 2006, 08:21 PM
Weird that it's on that Challenger, then... wonder if they swapped grips from a Medalist?

Thanks!

Standing Wolf
October 17, 2006, 10:27 PM
...anyone know what the vertical rod near the slide serrations is?

The cartridge case deflector on my Medalist caused failures to eject. As soon as I removed the silly thing, the failures stopped.

The gun's other truly weird "feature" is a switch that lets you "dry-fire" the gun without risking damage to the breech from the firing pin. It's a great idea; unfortunately, returning the trigger to the fire mode requires a great deal of finagling: the mechanism just does not want to reset.

Jet22
October 18, 2006, 10:21 AM
The gun's other truly weird "feature" is a switch that lets you "dry-fire" the gun without risking damage to the breech from the firing pin. It's a great idea; unfortunately, returning the trigger to the fire mode requires a great deal of finagling: the mechanism just does not want to reset.

I second that one. I didn't even like showing it to friends cause it took so much time to reset. A couple of times I thought I wouldn't get it reset! Most guys that own them don't even know it exisits. Sold the gun a couple of years ago but kept a Challenger cause thats the one I shoot. The rest of the Brownings I had just gathered dust. May be the most underated 22 pistols ever made!!

Master Blaster
October 18, 2006, 10:40 AM
You may want to look into a buckmark Bullseye, less expensive than the medalist, just as accurate, and it has an excellent adjustible trigger.

I have seen meadalists fdor sale on occasion around here they seem to be a collector item and appear unfired or fired very little in the presentation case.
$600-800.

1KPerDay
October 18, 2006, 12:49 PM
So, no luck on the slide stop spring, eh?:(

Jet22
October 18, 2006, 01:29 PM
So, no luck on the slide stop spring, eh?

Its just a bent piece of .020 music wire. Any gunsmith worth his weight in salt should be able to make one in 5 minutes.

By the way, if you must have an original part, try Jeff Heiman at jnh@junctionnet.com He bought up the rest of the original parts from Browning many years ago and sells them on Ebay. He just may have a spring!

1KPerDay
October 18, 2006, 04:47 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out.:cool:

1KPerDay
October 18, 2006, 04:54 PM
For anyone else who may be interested, his ebay ID is jnh13 FYI. Lots of good stuff for sale. :cool:

Jet22
October 18, 2006, 05:07 PM
Should add that he is a super nice and honest guy that can be trusted totally. He has lots of Browning stuff. Let me know if you got your spring from him. I'll bet you did!

1KPerDay
October 18, 2006, 05:35 PM
Haven't heard back from him yet, but I'm hopeful.:cool:

1KPerDay
October 18, 2006, 11:38 PM
He has the spring! :cool:

BTW these guys have some stuff too, it looks like.
http://www.commemorativearms.com/22caliberpage2.htm

Jet22
October 19, 2006, 08:59 AM
Good deal. I'll bet its priced right too. I have done business with him on and off ebay and he is a super guy.:) To save him some email, he has no Belgium Browning Medalist, Challenger, Nomad clips.:( Lots of Challenger grips, though!!;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning Medalist" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!