CHL in Texas

PDA

bender
October 16, 2006, 11:57 PM
I don't have one, but would like some comments regarding having a CHL in Texas.

To be honest, I'm interested in the fact that apparantly if you have a CHL, you can skip the NICS checks in Texas. At least according to tidbits I've picked up here on THR.

I have no problems with NICS checks. I just bought my first "NICS background check" handgun a couple weeks ago. My other guns were all bought before the NICS was insttiuted (1980s and early 1990s). It would be nice not to have to listen to a phone call describing everything about me, every single time I buy something.

questions:

1. I thought if you got a CHL in TX, it appears on your drivers license. Yes or No?

2. If it doesn't appear on your TDL, I suppose its a separate license card...?

3. are the classes all the same price, or do they vary greatly? and besides the class fee, is there some kind of State fee? I'm sure there is... states wouldn't give anything away free...

4. how hard is it passing the class? I mean, is it just demonstrating basic safety... or is it a bunch of difficult shooting...? I assume you can use your own gun? If I get to use my own gun... I would probably choose my old Colt M1911. I thinks its the easiest of my guns to handle & shoot.

5. what places (close to san antonio) have good classes, with good, and friendly, instructors?

6. would the class just be an instructor and you... I mean one on one... or would you be in a class of several people...?

7. I wonder if you're put on some kind of "undesirables" list? I wouldn't want my house surrounded by SWAT in the future.. if the political climate changes for the worst... kind of like what's happening in CA.

thanks for any comments!!

If you enjoyed reading about "CHL in Texas" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gregthehand
October 17, 2006, 12:10 AM
1) No. When they run your Tx DL it will show up that you have a CHL, but it is seperate license.

2) See # 1

3) Most all classes are around $100. The state fee is a standard $140.

4) The class consists of two tests. The shooting portion, which is not really hard if you can shoot even just ok. The written part is also ok and not really hard. Just pay attention in class and you will be ok.

5) I don't know about this one.

6) Classes are group instruction.

7) They of course have a list of who has CHLs but it is definatley not an "undesirable" list.

Prince Yamato
October 17, 2006, 12:20 AM
I wonder if you're put on some kind of "undesirables" list? I wouldn't want my house surrounded by SWAT in the future.. if the politicaly climate changes for the worst... kind of like what's happening in CA.

remember, you don't even have to OWN a gun to have a CCW. You can RENT a gun to take the test. So don't worry about SWAT teams or Government boogeymen. In fact, most gov't "boogeymen" are probably your friends and neighbors. As are most SWAT team members.

TexasRifleman
October 17, 2006, 12:24 AM
if the politicaly climate changes for the worst... kind of like what's happening in CA.

If the political climate in Texas changes to something like California, we'll all be in much bigger trouble than being on a list for having CCW.....

GEM
October 17, 2006, 12:15 PM
Around San Antonio, there are lots of instructors.

I use Bill Slater but here's a URL to a list of folks:

http://www.brackenrange.com/links_instructors.htm

For more training check out :

www.krtraining.com - also look there for the area range faq for San Antonio and Austin plus matches. I shoot Rivercity and ASSC at Cedar Ridge.

The test itself is very easy for anyone who has shot a gun. If not, take a basic pistol course first. You can pass without it but it's a good idea.

Nitrogen
October 17, 2006, 12:17 PM
You might want to join http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_Forum/, we're a bunch of texas residents asking and answering questions specificaly related to the Texas CHL.

A bunch of posters actually teach classes, and the fellow who owns the site is a lawyer, and a member of the NRA Board of Directors.

rhubarb
October 17, 2006, 09:40 PM
7. I understand your political SHTF concern, but I consider my CHL to be more of a "Good Citizen Certification." :D Although They will know you have a gun, They also know that you are not a criminal.

Double Naught Spy
October 17, 2006, 10:01 PM
Go to the Texas Department of Public Safety website, CHL section, for more information including a list of instructors and approved ranges.

StephenT
October 17, 2006, 10:18 PM
I've had a Texas CHL for about 8 years now and have gone through the application and renewal process, so I can answer your questions:

1- Yes, your CHL is linked to your driver's license. If you're packing and get pulled over, you have to tell the officer.

2- The TX CHL is a separate card. Again, if you're packing and get pulled over, you have to present your CHL as well as your license. I used to tape them together so that I wouldn't forget to hand it over. If I'm not mistaken, the officer can arrest you if you fail to say that you've got a concealed weapon. Or course, the TX law concerning carrying guns in the car has changed recently so that a license is no longer needed for carrying a gun "within reach" while traveling. I guess you still have to tell the officer.

3- You should shop around for the best class price. Classes held directly at the range are usually the best deal. All necessary forms should be provided, along with fingerprinting.

4- There are 30 questions and I think you're allowed up to 5 wrong answers. Hardly the GMAT exam. The shooting part is pretty elementary also. Be sure to pass the shooting test with a semiauto pistol so that you can carry a semiauto or revolver.

Don't point the gun at the instructor if you get a jam! It may sound silly, but one student did exactly that when her gun jammed during the shooting part and was promptly evicted from the class.

5- Don't know.

6- It's usually an 8-hour class with 15-20 students held on a Saturday or Sunday.

7- I doubt it, not in Texas. Guns are so common here that they'd have to arrest everyone.

With a CHL, there's no NICS requirement (so no waiting if the system is down). A Texas CHL is honored in many states (20 or so), so you can pack a concealed weapon from Florida to Wyoming or Arizona. The list of states keeps growing, so it's a pretty good deal compared to the CHL in other states.

mosttoyswins
October 17, 2006, 10:22 PM
Try Dury's Gun Shop in San Antonio.

Great people, shop has been family owned for a long time.

My wife and I both got our CHL's through them. Their class was resonably priced and was fun and easy.

bender
October 17, 2006, 10:36 PM
damn.... fingerprinting..... I didn't know that part. Its something I've always associated with being a criminal...

I'd take the test with a semi-auto. But I was worried about having to shoot quickly... and accurately.

I can't shoot revolvers DA worth beans.... I'm all over the paper.... The heavy trigger pull obviously.

can you use your own ammo? At the range, I have better luck with my handloads.... accuracy-wise at least...

I don't know if I like the drivers license thing. If I get pulled over for speeding... and the cop calls in my TDL, finds out about the CHL, he'll probably walk back to my car with his hand on his gun... and his partner will be on the other side, with his hand on his gun...

cane
October 17, 2006, 11:51 PM
Gosh Bender, I don't think you can get a CHL/CCW/LTC anywhere without being fingerprinted. As for heavy DA trigger pulls, a good gunsmith can fix that.

bender
October 18, 2006, 12:17 AM
I would think that most people associate getting fingerprinted with getting arrested.

I don't remember getting fingerprinted when getting my driver's license.

wdlsguy
October 18, 2006, 12:19 AM
If you take the test with a revolver, you can only carry a revolver. If you take the test with a semiautomatic, you can carry a semiautomatic or a revolver. So take the test with a semiautomatic.

If you get pulled over for speeding hand the officer your DL and your CHL. Chances are the officer will give your CHL a cursory glance and hand it back to you.

springmom
October 18, 2006, 12:21 AM
You got your thumbprints taken when you got your driver's license. You had to put your thumbs on a little machine that "read" the thumbprint without you having to do the whole ink thing.

Lots of people have to have their fingerprints done. It's not a "your a criminal" thing. Getting your CHL is not going to put you onto some political undesirables list.

Springmom

Art Eatman
October 18, 2006, 12:28 AM
I recently renewed. Two passport photos. Fingerprints, with the card signed by the policeman or sheriff's deputy who does the printing. Notary signature/seal on three documents they send you. Definitely go to the DPS website.

The target scoring area is fairly large. The time allowed is fairly long. I did some of the lousiest high-speed shooting I've ever done (lack of practice; arthritis in my right shoulder) but even the lousy hits would have been inside a rib cage. :) If you can't pass, don't walk and chew gum at the same time. :D

DPS has a positive attitude about CHL. A fair number of LEOs will turn on the bubble gums if you're speeding; when your registration comes back showing a CHL, you could easily wind up in a discussion of Glock vs. Colt and either a warning ticket or no ticket. Not always, by any means, but the CHL improves your odds.

The CHL is handy at a gunshow, should you want to immediately take possession from a dealer and NICS is down.

Art

Geronimo45
October 18, 2006, 12:28 AM
I think I was fingerprinted for my TX driver's license.
I seriously doubt that possession of a CHL will mean the cops treat you like you're John Dillinger. You need to say when they pull you over that you've got a CC license, they might want to take your gun for the duration of the stop. Just be civil and sensible. The TX cops I've seen are fine folks - sensible and courteous.

Having a CHL means you've passed a lot of background checks, which ought to reduce LEO worry about you (you've got a license, proficency with weapon, no criminal record). No NICS check... which is nice, since I haven't noticed it to be 'instant' yet.

Art Eatman
October 18, 2006, 12:31 AM
Geronimo, I got stopped one time and the cop asked if I had the pistol on me. "No, it's in the console." He grinned, "Yeah, just like everybody else," implying he assumed everybody had "something" in the console. I think I got a warning ticket on that one.

:), Art

bender
October 18, 2006, 08:01 AM
ok, I guess I'm worrying about nothing. Thanks. I will probably get one, although I doubt I'll carry all the time... especially every day driving back and forth to work...

regarding getting fingerprinted for your TDL... I honestly don't remember it. I got my license back in the 1970s, and have just renewed since then...

I'm not against fingerprinting because I intend to be a crook... but instead because I just associate it with being arrested and fingerprinted... I remember several years ago, when HEB started fingerprinting you when you tried to cash a check at their office, I told them to "get lost" and went to Albertsons instead.
Of course, HEB is the only grocery store in town now...

MechAg94
October 18, 2006, 09:06 AM
I have been pulled over a couple times for speeding since I got my CHL. I got a verbal warning once and a warning ticket the next time. I don't know if that will always be the case, but that is what happened.

The target is fully man size. The 5 point center of the target is fairly large. You shoot 20 rounds at 3 yards, 20 rounds at 7 yards, and 10 rounds at 15 yards. You have to be pretty bad to fail that. It doesn't matter what you shoot, just shoot something that will be reliable so you don't have any stoppages. The pistol has to be 32 cal or above for testing (not for carrying).

bender
October 18, 2006, 09:12 AM
The target is fully man size. The 5 point center of the target is fairly large. You shoot 20 rounds at 3 yards, 20 rounds at 7 yards, and 10 rounds at 15 yards. You have to be pretty bad to fail that. It doesn't matter what you shoot, just shoot something that will be reliable so you don't have any stoppages. The pistol has to be 32 cal or above for testing (not for carrying).
ok, that doesn't sound difficult. 3 yards? man, that's right in front of you...

is it quick shooting? or do you take your time...? I mean, is it 20 rounds in a row at 3 yds, or is it 20 rounds "a few rounds at a time" during the whole course?

TexasRifleman
October 18, 2006, 09:13 AM
ok, that doesn't sound difficult. 3 yards? man, that's right in front of you...

is it quick shooting? or do you take your time...? I mean, if I use my old colt M1911, fire 7 shots at 3 yards... do I then shove another mag in in fire 7 more, and then again...?

In my opinion if you can't pass the Texas shooting requirement then you really shouldn't own a firearm. It's nothing to worry about.

bender
October 18, 2006, 09:22 AM
I'm not worried about not passing... now if you had to stay on target at over 30 yards or so, then I might be a little worried...

I just like to know what to expect before I get there. One thing I actually am worried about, is the fact that I am 75% deaf, and I have a lot of trouble hearing correctly in a classroom environment, or in meetings, and such.

However, there is another thread around here about taking these classes when you have some deafness... I think the thread is in Firearms Accessories... so no need to address that issue in this thread...

hearing loss from a bad motorcycle accident back in the 1980s, not from shooting guns... :)

TexasRifleman
October 18, 2006, 09:27 AM
Well, here is the whole requirment, sorry for the length.

(d) The proficiency demonstration course will be the same for both the instructors and license applications. The course of fire will be at distances of three, seven, and fifteen yards, for a total of fifty rounds.

(1) Twenty rounds will be fired from three yards, as follows:

(A) five rounds will be fired "One Shot Exercise"; two seconds allowed for each shot;

(B) ten rounds will be fired "Two Shot Exercise"; three seconds allowed for each two shots; and

(C) five rounds will be fired; ten seconds allowed for five shots.

(2) Twenty rounds will be fired from seven yards, fired in four five-shot strings as follows:

(A) the first five shots will be fired in ten seconds;

(B) the next five shots will be fired in two stages:

(i) two shots will be fired in four seconds; and

(ii) three shots will be fired in six seconds.

(C) the next five shots at seven yards will be fired "One Shot Exercise"; three seconds will be allowed for each shot; and

(D) the last five shots fired at the seven-yard line, the time will be fifteen seconds to shoot five rounds.

(3) Ten rounds will be fired from fifteen yards, fired in two five-shot strings as follows:

(A) the first five shots will be fired in two stages:

(i) two shots fired in six seconds; and

(ii) three shots fired in nine seconds.

(B) the last five shots will be fired in fifteen seconds.

highlander 5
October 18, 2006, 09:46 AM
we are finger printed here in Ma. With all the phony ID's floating about finger printing makes sense makes sure your not a crimanal

Geronimo45
October 18, 2006, 03:31 PM
"The pistol has to be 32 cal or above for testing (not for carrying)."
Did they change it recently? I could swear that you had to have .380/38 special or above a while ago... DPS does show it to be .32 now, though.

If you enjoyed reading about "CHL in Texas" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!