WTK: Ruger Mk II value

PDA

LightningLink
May 16, 2003, 01:33 PM
I have a friend that is selling his Ruger Mk II and would like to know a good asking price.

Specifically, it's a Ruger Mk II "Government Target Competition Model" (model KMK678GC)

It comes with a couple magazines, black plastic grip panels as well as the checkered wooden grips with thumb-rest, scope mount base and two rings.

He's probably put anywhere from 500 to 1000 rounds through it and is still in excellent condition. I think he paid a little over $400 new from a local gunshop.

Thanks for any info,
:confused: LL :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "WTK: Ruger Mk II value" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rock jock
May 16, 2003, 01:37 PM
I bought a NIB one from an Academy Outdoors last month for $345 OTD. I would offer $320 but go up to $350.

762x51
May 16, 2003, 03:04 PM
I paid $250 for mine and it had about 500 rounds through it. Got it from a friend though, so that could be on the low end of the price scale.

rock jock
May 16, 2003, 04:44 PM
762x51,

Are u sure it was the Competition Target Model and not just the Target Model? The latter are typically much cheaper.

larryw
May 16, 2003, 05:04 PM
Rock Jock: $345OTD is a great price on a SlabSide! Who/what/where is Academy Outdoors?

I just bought one from from Andy at East County Guns (http://www.eastcountyguns.com/rfrugerpistols.htm) (thumbs up!) for $379. Add shipping and the FFL fees and it was roughly $430 OTD. Came with 2 mags and the rings and bases.

Graystar
May 16, 2003, 05:55 PM
Paid $369 for mine brand new. Great gun, but I don't think the extra's are worth the money. I would stick to a KMK-512, which is the stainless steel 5 1/2" bull barrel target version. You should be able to find one of these new for 300 bucks.

You pay extra for a mount, rings, and for having the receiver drilled... but the SoLow mount is actually the very best way to mount a red-dot and doesn't need any work done to the gun. You pay extra for the wood grips, but I actually prefer my Houge or Volquartsen grip far more than the wooden grip. The rings you get are 1", which would need to be changed if you wanted a 30mm red-dot.

The only thing that is worth the money is that fact that the crown has been machined and is the nicest crown of all the models. However, the 5 1/2" Target model shoots better than I ever will so it really wasn't worth the extra money. Just about any Mark II is capable of Master level scores. You have to be really, really good to really take advantage of the extra accuracy the machined crown gives.

Oh, don't forget to get an OnTarget Trigger Shield!

http://www.ontargetguns.com/otts.html

rock jock
May 16, 2003, 06:42 PM
Academy is a Texas sports equipment chain. They started selling handguns a few months off and have had a running 20%-off sale since February. Price before taxes was 80% of 400, or $320.

BTW, I am in the process of sending my Target Competition back to Ruger because it will not relaibly feed any .22lr ammo, and I ran 12 different types thru it. Incidentally, the best ammo I found was CCI Green Tag which produced 1" groups at 50 yards off a sandbag with iron sights (no kidding). That was after testing two types of Federal Gold Match, 4 types of Eley Pistol ammo, Remington Match grade, Winchester match grade, and a variety of "brick" ammo.

rock jock
May 16, 2003, 06:50 PM
Forgot to ask - what's the concensus on the Volquartsen trigger kit?

bountyhunter
May 16, 2003, 07:05 PM
If it is indeed the stainless slabside (drilled for scope mounts) that comes with the scope rings:

I just bought one out here in nazifornia brand new for $425. That would make me believe the street price in the "free" states should be maybe $350 - $400 for a new one. If you plan to get a red dot scope (or think you ever might), you definitely want this model. None of the others are drilled for it. I would say if it's still like new, $350 would be a fair price.

As for Volquartsen: I did some repair work on a buddy's MkII with the Volq kit in it. It did not seem (or measure out) any lighter than my slabside. Both pull at right around 2.4 pounds. The Volq trigger does have a pre-travel and over-travel adjust, the stock trigger only has an overtravel adjust (which requires removing the trigger to adjust).

Bottom line: Volq makes good parts, but if you polish the sear in the stock gun, grease it with Militec and shoot it, you will probably find it has a really good trigger as is. I didn't see enough difference to make me want one.

Sactown
May 16, 2003, 08:57 PM
The Volq trigger does have a pre-travel and over-travel adjust, the stock trigger only has an overtravel adjust (which requires removing the trigger to adjust).

The Volq trigger only has overtravel adj. Neither of my Volq triggers has a pretravel adj. (although you can add that yourself) That might be a Clark trigger? Maybe a Marvel trigger?

I found the Volq parts to be a substantial upgrade over the stock trigger parts in both my Govt Comp Target and 5.5" bull barrel MkIIs. YMMV.

762x51
May 19, 2003, 01:14 PM
rock jock:

Positive. Slab-side competition target model with wood thumbrest grips. Like I said.....it was from a friend so it may have been on the low side. ;)

Dorrin79
May 19, 2003, 02:06 PM
rock jock -

I had the same problem with my MKII Target.

I solved it by shooting about 1K rounds of hyper-velocity ammo through it, which loosened up the aciton quite nicely.

Besides, the HV stuff seems more accurate anyway.

rock jock
May 19, 2003, 03:20 PM
Thanks, Dorrin. I'll go buy a couple bricks of HV ammo and give it another try before I send it off to Ruger.

Ala Dan
May 19, 2003, 06:00 PM
Greeting's All-

I got a NIB Ruger MK-II KMK-512 for $289.88, out
the door!:) :rolleyes:

That's the stainless steel model, with 5.5" bull barrel.:uhoh:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

LightningLink
May 19, 2003, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the replies.

My friends (both buyer and seller) have agreed to $275 which I think makes them both happy. The seller wanted just enough to buy another pistol he has his eyes on and the buyer was looking for a nice & accurate .22 for a good price. They're happy, I'm happy, everybody's happy :D

Thanks again,
:cool: LL :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "WTK: Ruger Mk II value" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!