Looking for infant ear protection.

PDA

oldfart
October 17, 2006, 04:44 PM
My daughter wants to get back into long-range shooting now that the baby is born but she doesn't want to leave the kid either in the car or at home.
Does anybody know of a set of "ears" that will fit a baby without falling off from sheer weight?

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for infant ear protection." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
javacodeman
October 17, 2006, 04:48 PM
How about a Dad or other relative watch the infant while the Mom shoots?:scrutiny:

I wouldn't think that I would want to subject my infant to the flying hot brass, atomized lead, loud noises, etc.

beardxxxd
October 17, 2006, 05:16 PM
love my wife for putting up with my antics
:)

probably taken a year ago when i was saying i needed to get my son to the range early

http://beard.freaksho.net/data/etc/people/preg.JPG

LoveMyCountry
October 17, 2006, 05:19 PM
My five year old daughter has been going to the range with us since she was a year old. Slip on hearing protection and she slept right through it.

By the way, she's been shooting since she was 3.:D

LoveMyCountry

wdlsguy
October 17, 2006, 05:24 PM
Does anybody know of a set of "ears" that will fit a baby without falling off from sheer weight?

http://www.tacticalinc.com/imagemagic.php?img=zOHCytncktTh2eLE15KZoZqQlpyZnM3kyA%3D%3D&w=500&h=400&page=popup

Someone needs to keep an eye on the kid(s) though.

geekWithA.45
October 17, 2006, 06:21 PM
Infant infant? As in too young to hold her head up?

I dunno, man. If she can't hold up her own head, I'd worry about her taking damage from the ears themselves.

I vote babysitter.

Sound like grandpaw to to rescue to me. :neener:

WayneConrad
October 17, 2006, 06:34 PM
There's a bit of lead floating around in the air on the the firing line, too.

I don't have any data to suggest that it's a high enough level to harm an infant, but an infant's brain is very sensitive to lead exposure. I think it's worth finding out what the actual lead exposure levels are and making sure they are safe for infants.

Tess
October 17, 2006, 06:44 PM
I'd think the "get-em-for-free, wear-em-on-the-airplane, soft spongy rubber type would be appropriate. They don't have to go all the way into the ear canal, and can be secured with a hat.

wdlsguy
October 17, 2006, 06:48 PM
Another potential issue is lead in her breast milk.

carnaby
October 17, 2006, 06:49 PM
I don't think it's a good idea to subject her ears to anything uneccessary. She might try to pull them off, in which case she'll get the glory of permanent hearing damage from infancy. It's not worth the risk.

Especially consider that even with plugs/muffs, gunshots are so loud that they are not benign. You don't want a kid with tinnitus to make you feel guilty all your life. Leave the kid at home.

AJ Dual
October 17, 2006, 06:51 PM
Infant? Just get a sitter. Or take turns watching the baby in the parking lot etc. I also think that with a baby's smaller/thinner/softer skull structures that a damaging amount of dB's could enter the ears even with muffs...

Toddler? I remember seeing an aviation magazine article where a pilot of a prop plane needed to make ear protection for his kid, but couldn't guarantee the muffs would stay on. What he wound up doing was taking a baby hat with a chin strap, and sewing noise reducing pads to the inside so the kid couldn't take them off.

Still going to require 100% supervision to make sure they don't run in front of the firing line etc.

Kentak
October 17, 2006, 07:00 PM
I dunno, man. Hearing loss in old age is often just the cumulation of incremental loss from day one--every time we're exposed to enough decibels.

Don't take a chance with the kid's hearing. You won't be able to tell if the hearing protection is doing the job or not. And if they fall off or she pulls them off without anyone noticing....

I have permanent ringing from ONE instance of exposure to a detonated shotgun primer when I was a teen. Find a sitter.

K

ilbob
October 17, 2006, 07:01 PM
The best answer is not to bring a baby to a shooting range. While many outdoor ranges do not have a lot of lead around, lead has negative effects on infants. Why take chances?

spooney
October 17, 2006, 07:16 PM
As a father I am going to go with everyone else here and tell you not to do it. It's just not worth it.

Waitone
October 17, 2006, 07:16 PM
A high noise environment is no place for an infant. I think the well-being of the infant should outweigh parental convenience. Take care of the kid first. I wouldn't want my child's hearing loss (or whatever) on my conscious just because I couldn't be inconvenienced. :(

marshall3
October 17, 2006, 07:46 PM
Both you and the baby and mom will be happier if you leave the baby at home.

oldfart
October 17, 2006, 08:28 PM
Thanks guys, you gave some good advice.

Except....

Mom is still breast feeding so Grampaw can't substitute and we'd already decided to keep the kid off the firing line so she wouldn't get the full force of the blast - probably in the car just off the firing line.

The little one can hold her head up pretty well and I figured we'd have to find some way to keep from pulling the muffs off (duct tape maybe? Just kidding.:D ) When she get older and we have to worry about her running out in front of the firing line I thought we could use the same tactic my dad did with me: Nail her foot to the floor. I walk with a bit of a limp but it isn't from getting shot.;)

After I posted my original request I googled for help too. Peltor makes a set of earmuffs especially for kids. I may just invest in a pair.

Again... Thanks

carnaby
October 17, 2006, 09:02 PM
Keeping the kid away from the firing line and in a car would probably work fine if she really needs to get her shooting fix. :D

BobTheTomato
October 18, 2006, 09:53 AM
Not sure what the range is like where you are shooting but how about you spend quality time with the little one away from the line in either the car or somewhere away from high noise levels. That way when the little one needs a snack you can call for mom.

ZeSpectre
October 18, 2006, 10:51 AM
I'm probably going to take some heat for a hardline stance but I'm willing to do so for something I believe in.

I don't think kids younger than 9 years old have any business being anywhere near a shooting range, period!

Kentak
October 18, 2006, 10:55 AM
After I posted my original request I googled for help too. Peltor makes a set of earmuffs especially for kids. I may just invest in a pair.

So, you're not going to take our advice?

gwine
October 18, 2006, 11:16 AM
by Kentrak
So, you're not going to take our advice?

Your question and the first part of your sig struck me as ironic.

[edited] The rest of the message has been deleted as inappropriate. My apologies for even getting into the fray. :o

Ellie
October 18, 2006, 01:34 PM
I've been told by somebody with medical expertise (who shoots and whose 3 kids shoot, so it's not anti-gun paranoia) that a child's inner ear isn't developed enough for hearing protection to work until about 3-years old. Something about the ear function not being isolated enough for the sound vibrations to be stopped.

Sean Dempsey
October 18, 2006, 01:52 PM
I say 100% NO. Have someone come sit with the baby in the car a few dozen yards away, and maybe. I bring my 1 year old and he sits in the car with mom, and she says my XD9mm is just a faint "pop" and he doesn't even notice, and I'm about 25 yards away.

I wouln't even TRY putting a child that young in a place where they would need ear protection. I have a degree is psychology, focusing on child development, and the stress of any possible sound incidents are not going to be good for your baby's ears, or psyche. Stress like that in infancy can really mess with a babies brain development, giving them a "high vagal tone", which means that as they grow older, their sympathetic nervous system will be too sensitive, since it was sort of over-stimulated during the brains developing years. This isn't going to happen with acute exposure, but over a prolonged period of time, if you consistently expose your baby to stressful events that trigger their SNS, it will mess with their vagal tone.

Don't do it. Period. If your gunshots sound louder than a regular TV, move the car farther away.

oldfart
October 18, 2006, 01:52 PM
Ok folks, let's not get all heated up here. Some of you are making some pretty big leaps to judgement before you even put your brains in gear.:banghead:

First, The baby is my grand-daughter, not my daughter. While I have a great deal of influence in how she is raised and whether or not she goes to the range, the ultimate choice has to be made by her mother, my daughter.
Second, no one (at least, not me) even suggested leaving the kid alone in the car. If she is to be left in the car, someone will have to stay with her.
Third, I've fathered ten children and actively raised seven of them. I have eight grandkids and three greats so I do know a little bit about raising children. I came here asking for advice and I got what I wanted. Unfortunately, I also got a load of sh** from people who have no idea who or what I am. For those of you who gave advice - Thank you, I'll take it to heart. For those who chose to "assume" - bugger off!:cuss:

.38 Special
October 18, 2006, 01:53 PM
Depends on how old "baby" is. If the kid isn't old enough to tell you if something is uncomfortably loud, he/she isn't old enough to wear hearing protection. It's impossible to tell if someone else's hearing protection is sealing properly. And with a baby who is presumably going to be moving around and grabbing at everything he/she can get a hold of, there's just no way to insure that hearing protection is going to stay put, even if you do talk yourself into believeing you can tell if it's sealing in the first place.

gwine
October 18, 2006, 02:24 PM
OK, my bad since I didn't see the 'my daughter', for which I apologize. But I still vote no to endangering the child's hearing.

Lonestar
October 18, 2006, 02:53 PM
With all due respect...is the range going to even allow her to bring an infant to the firing line??? With possible liability of hearing damage, brain damage from lead exposure, anxiety disorders from being repetitively startled, and not to mention the regular possibility of a stray bullet, if I was owner of a range I would say "Sorry, but no thanks" and turn her away.

Just don't take any chances. Best bet is to have someone baby-sit when she shoots. I can see both you and your daughter love guns, but don't expose the poor baby to something now, that you might seriously regret later.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for infant ear protection." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!