Road Rager shoots at motorcyclist - Triple digit Chase

PDA

Rezin
October 17, 2006, 04:53 PM
I am the Admin on a big bike forum. We have MANY gunny's there, and even have a sub-section for our shooting friends to hang out.
One of my members posted up about an incident that happened to him, and I thought it would an interesting discussion here at THR.

These links are with his full permission, so read on and discuss.

http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=184209

Update (deposition) - http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=206351

If you enjoyed reading about "Road Rager shoots at motorcyclist - Triple digit Chase" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nplant
October 17, 2006, 05:28 PM
That's one lucky guy. Both of them. Lucky for the rider that he didn't get hit or an accident occurred as a result of the blowout, and lucky for the shooter that the rider wasn't killed.

Unfortunately, the defense will put up a bunch of smoke and try to show how the rider was clearly taunting the shooter by staying behind him all the time.

With only the one half of the story, and the participants not personally known to me, I'm going to say that I hope the shooter gets his just deserts in prison, for a long long time.

bender
October 17, 2006, 05:30 PM
happened 14 months ago... and still not in court...

our justice system in action

Aguila Blanca
October 17, 2006, 06:31 PM
150 MPH on a bike with a completely flat front tire? My BS meter is ringing so loud I can't even think ...

cassandrasdaddy
October 17, 2006, 07:14 PM
who was mellissa? was he riding two up? the bs meter is off the scale
i can barely control a bike with flat rear tire at 55

moewadle
October 17, 2006, 07:31 PM
other people out on the highway. I am not going to second guess what the victims of this abuse (the writer, Melissa, and his friend on the other bike)did in reaction to the BG but there certainly are dangerous people out there and it may behoove a driver to do as much as reasonably possible to de-escalate any possible negative interactions. Remember the case a few years ago that has never been solved. A man and his wife were on a freeway somewhere in USA and another driver got mad at them for some reason and shot at their car. It killed the woman and remains unsolved.

nfl1990
October 17, 2006, 08:02 PM
+150mph w/ a flat and two people on the bike?
And what was he doing taunting a guy who clearly had road rage with his (I guess) wife or gf on the bike? bad tactical descision, it would be even if you were alone, and in a car at least that would offer some protection from a pistol, ( I know it won't stop it but a car somwhat obscures your body and may cause a deflection, also on a motorcycle your body provides half the visible surface area)

carterbeauford
October 17, 2006, 08:07 PM
He stated the assailant was in a Honda... most of which I believe are governed to 130MPH. I was not there and don't want to monday morning quarterback, but it should not be hard to outrun a Honda on a motorcyle, unless for some reason your motorcycle is really slow.

bender
October 17, 2006, 08:09 PM
yeah, I used to ride big bikes back in the 1970s, 80s, and a few years in the 2000s...

I wasn't aware you could ride fast with a flat front... or even at all...

But I've never had to try... so I don't know.

real_name
October 17, 2006, 08:09 PM
Nothing to see here, the whole matter is fiction.

MartinBrody
October 17, 2006, 08:40 PM
as we race 150+ with a completely flat front tire

Definitely Bravo Sierra, I say link this to a news report or lock it down.

razorburn
October 17, 2006, 08:46 PM
A cbr929rr is sport bike and far, far more powerful than something like a harley or some such that the others may be commenting on. Keeping the bike upright at those speeds with a flat tire may be harder to believe, but who knows, I've never tried it and I'll take his word for it. The bikes do get more stable as speed increases. He says hit those speeds to get away from the shooter.

cassandrasdaddy
October 17, 2006, 09:01 PM
he may have been shot at but i had quite a few street miles and road raced and i never knew anyone stay up with flat front at any speed and some who dumped it with flat back tire at highway speed

Hazzard
October 17, 2006, 09:35 PM
I'm sorry, but I just checked my BS meter and it looked at me and said "I won't even dignify that with a comment".

I'm not saying that the incident didn't happen, but the perception under the heat of the moment may have been clouded. 150mph on a flat front tire is not likely. I've had 2 rear blowouts over the years (I currently am on my 13th bike) at highway speeds. Both times I basically had to drag my feet to maintain control and still dropped the bike on one of them. It would be hard enough to come to a controlled stop with a flat front, much less maintain 150mph.

I'm kind of surprised that noone on the bike forum questioned this as well. Of course, I didn't read the whole thread.

PythonFan
October 18, 2006, 02:47 AM
Clearly he was riding a wheelie and not using the front tire. Duh.

yongxingfreesty
October 18, 2006, 03:56 AM
^^^ HAHAHA , funny comment. i ve never had a front tire blown out on me and im glad it didnt. been riding for only less than 1 month and dont plan on that happening

atek3
October 18, 2006, 11:52 AM
150 with a flat front I can believe, the centripedal force would keep the tire inflated if the bike was traveling at a straight line. Slowing down would be the tricky part, at about 30 mph he'd probably be on the rim...

atek3

Still 2 Many Choices!?
October 18, 2006, 11:59 AM
On Grand Theft Auto(the video game) you can go pretty fast with a flat front tire, but those sharp turns don't work so well:eek: :D .

jlbraun
October 18, 2006, 12:02 PM
(posted with his permission)

"Yes, unfortunately I did ride 150+ (well into the 160's indicated) on a completely flat front tire. When your option is to run away or stop and watch some lunatic shoot your girlfriend and you, it's really the only option. Going slow wasn't an option either, since the guy was tailing me, following my lane changes... and I wasn't ready to have my girlfriend be shot in the back.

The bike control was awful. Turning was nearly impossible and required a great deal of effort using both arms, and I had a death grip on the clip-ons just trying to hold it steady. Under accelleration, the front end is pretty light so it doesn't affect you too much, at cruising speed it's tough to do anything but go straight, and letting off the throttle is scary as hell. The handlebars and entire bike shake violently; I leaned back and applied as much rear brake as I could to lighten the load on the front tire, but it was still a lot of luck that kept us on two wheels.

In summary, if you ever get the chance to run for your life on a bike with a flat front tire, I'd highly recommend passing on it."

"The tire actually held up structurally. It's cupped really bad (looking at it from the side, the tread is about as smooth as a Ruffles potato chip from slappling the pavement). Thankfully the side walls on sport bike tires are as strong as they are... if I were on a Harley-type bike with soft sidewalls, I wouldn't be writing this today."

dragongoddess
October 18, 2006, 12:13 PM
I don't ride bikes yet I have a hard time with this story. It's hard enough to believe when he was going straight but making turns. Sorry but Judge Judy would call this, BS. I would also have to agree that the story is a load of bull in the real world. In the make believe world of a video game anything is possible.

No front tire
making turn with 2 on board at speed
all equal road rash and broken bones.

Heavy Metal Hero
October 18, 2006, 12:44 PM
Ok he said keeping it at high speeds wasn't a big deal. But they were stopped and then he decided to go, at which point he was shot at. He wasn't going 100+ when it was hit. I don't know, it sounds kind of BS to me.

03Shadowbob
October 18, 2006, 03:39 PM
150+ on flat front tire? seriously? I have had my share of go fast bikes and cruisers. My latest go-fast was a Ninja 900 bored polished etc..would hit 150 in 4th gear. My front went flat at 90mph once. Got it down to about 45 before I dumped it. At 90mph the front was so out of control I was lucky to get down to 45mph.
I'm not saying the guy is lying because I have seen alot of things happen on bikes but he definitely wasn't turning or anything on a flat front tire. No way.

gunsmith
October 18, 2006, 03:44 PM
it's hard to keep an eye on the speedometer and drive in excess
of 100, I've gone over 100 in thick traffic & had to keep my eyes on the road.

fasternyou929
October 18, 2006, 04:37 PM
I just wanted to stop by and say thank you nplant, bender, razorburn, and others for your support.

For those with their BS alarms going off, well, I don't much blame you. If I hadn't been there, hadn't been lucky enough to survive it, I'd be tempted to call BS too. I can tell you though, when you're unarmed and being shot at you only know one speed... wide open. I couldn't put enough distance between us and him fast enough.

Some people have mentioned that it could be done in a straight line, but the turns would be impossible. They're absolutely right... I tried to take the first exit after he shot at me and I couldn't even make the required 4 lane changes in time. The turns I was talking about in the post made on my behalf by jlbraun were 2 turns at intersections (I'd never been so grateful to live in Florida, where they only make perfectly straight roads). The turns I *did* survive were both at about 3mph, with both feet on the ground, hoping that I could turn sharp enough not to head out into the weeds off the shoulder of the road.

Anyway, thank you again to those of you that offer your support and sympathy. It's tough when you barely survive a situation and are called a liar when you share your story, but that's the nature of the internet, I suppose.

Inline_6
October 18, 2006, 04:46 PM
Good luck in court Monday. I have seen firsthand how crazy South FL drivers are, but haven't been shot at (yet). Hope he gets convicted!

joebogey
October 18, 2006, 05:32 PM
Not tryin to be a wiseass, I'm seriuosly curious as to the brand of tire you're running on the front.

fasternyou929
October 18, 2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks, Inline! This happened on 595 just east of University. Managed to make the Pine Island exit... never expected something like that to happen out there.

And tire brand was Michelin Pilot Sport.

real_name
October 18, 2006, 05:46 PM
Did this make the news?
If so please provide a link to a credible source other than a forum.
This story is very hard to believe.

fasternyou929
October 18, 2006, 06:19 PM
Because the news is always accurate? lol Even if it did make the news, it'd be based off my story... no reporters would've been on the scene with a radar gun as I was running. :)

I said before I understand it's hard to believe. I've got pictures of the rim (should be in the linked discussions somewhere, too), evidence reports, his attempted murder papers, court dates, his mug shot, and my memory of what happened. If you choose not to believe it, I'm ok with that. I understand it's the easier choice.

Zundfolge
October 18, 2006, 06:24 PM
Because the news is always accurate? lol
Believe me, this bunch is one of the most distrusting of news media you're likely to find, however it would verify that something really happened and likely shut down the naysayers.
I've got pictures of the rim (should be in the linked discussions somewhere, too)
All I get is a login prompt when I click on the attached photos over there ... feel free to attach them here.

Honestly though I'm more likely to believe 150 on a flat tire than 50.

So are your knuckles still white? :D

real_name
October 18, 2006, 06:27 PM
I appreciate it appears that on the whole we are skeptical, but that is the nature of the beast on this particular forum.
This is a spectacular story, and as we all know stories like that, especially on the webnets, are rarely conveyed accurately.
But, I can give you the benefit of my doubt and wish you good luck in court.

You are right to not care if we believe it or not, and frankly that attitude makes me believe you just a little more.

But still, 150mph?? That's pretty fast to be riding on a rim, I wish you had been wearing a helmet-cam and caught all that on tape. Now that would be worth watching.

fasternyou929
October 18, 2006, 07:00 PM
I haven't mastered quoting on here yet.

Zunfoldge: I wish I had a story to link it to. In fact, had this actually received some press, I'd like to think I wouldn't have had to wait over 2 years for this to go to trial.

I didn't know you'd have to log in to see the pictures, I'll put them up over here, too.

And yes, my knuckles still look bleached white and I still can't striaghten my fingers out. :)

real_name: I know the internet is full of bravado, schemes, lies, etc. so I think skepticism is the nature on nearly any forum. It's expected. Thank you for giving me the benefit of the doubt, and I'm really looking forward to putting this trial behind me. Whatever the verdict, I'm ready for closure. Two years is a long time to wait through depositions, continuances, evidence tests, and so on. It's tiring, and I can totally understand how defense attorneys wear out victims with their delay tactics now.

You have NO idea how many times I've wished the exact same thing. Not only would it be cool to watch/show, but it'd make this case a slam-dunk. Unfortunately, it's not so clear-cut and there's a chance the guy may go home free after the trial. Hopefully not, but it's always a chance.

fasternyou929
October 18, 2006, 07:09 PM

fasternyou929
October 18, 2006, 07:11 PM
Last one

No_Brakes23
October 18, 2006, 08:34 PM
My BS meter went off as well, but then I started thinking about it. From a dead stop with a flat tire, my SV650 can get up to 85 mph at least, as very little of that time would be on the front wheel. It's hard to keep the front wheel down unless you feather the clutch and lean over. Then it still comes up until you shift gears. And you can change gears with the front in the air.

The 929 is even more powerful, (I have ridden a couple of them,) and I am not kidding or B.S.ing when I say you can literally bob the front wheel up and down using the throttle. The bike is that responsive, and the fuel injection is that smooth. I can't do that on my SV, mind you, but I could easily get it to 85mph at least with a flat front.

Also the motorcyclist did not say he started with a flat, he was already accelerating when he tire started going flat. Big difference. By the time he noticed the flat, he had to be doing at least 60-100.

I have personally seen people do loooooooong wheelies on the freeway at 120+. Some part of the story must be true at any rate if the is court involved.

Joe7cri
October 18, 2006, 08:53 PM
I don't know if this is BS or factual, but I am curious as to why he wasn't charged with attempted murder?

cassandrasdaddy
October 18, 2006, 10:18 PM
for my disbelief
what was this clowns problem? he have a history or just got real dumb in his 40's.

and if you accept my apology i got a favor to ask.... if i send you a check will you buy me some lotto tickets? i'll split the winnings!

Evil_Ed
October 18, 2006, 10:32 PM
Wow,
Every rider's worst nightmare, some psycho in a cage trying to run us over. Add to that the shooting and it's very lucky that you survived at all especially after a high speed run effectively on your rear wheel. Glad you made it through safely, please keep us updated on the scumbag's trial.

BTW, classic answers to his lawyer for the deposition! Loved the cell phone answer!

psyopspec
October 19, 2006, 01:52 AM
I wish you the best of luck. I know you're gonna be busy in the upcoming days (God forbid, weeks) dealing with the trial/fallout. However, if you could drop in and let us know how it went it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks for coming over, here's hoping you find enough interest to stick around for a while!

gunsmith
October 19, 2006, 08:54 AM
get yer self a ccw for the next psycho!
I've driven in FL, and got an expensive ticket
for lane splitting, which I made even worse cause the judge told me he rides harleys and doesn't see any need to lane split and I told him that it's nice he rides once a week when it's not raining but I am a professional courier and have hundreds of thousands of miles over him and can outride him anyday...needless to say that was an expensive lesson

ceetee
October 19, 2006, 10:00 AM
Well, it looks like it's scheduled to go to trial this coming Monday. Let us know how it all comes out!

nbkky71
October 19, 2006, 04:53 PM
I don't know if this is BS or factual, but I am curious as to why he wasn't charged with attempted murder?

Over oncycleforums.com fasternyou929 mentioned that in order to get a conviction on attempted murder they would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the perp's intent was to murder them.

They felt that they had a better chance at a conviction with aggravated assault with a firearm.

Good luck with your court case fasternyou929! I hope that justice is served

Sig245
October 19, 2006, 07:18 PM
I hope we get a follow up so we can find out the rest of the story.

Nasty situation.

MachIVshooter
October 19, 2006, 09:57 PM
fasternyou929-
Perhaps time to think about CCW? I always carry, even on my bike. All this summer, it was my PT145 Mil Pro IWB at 12 O'clock.

I've never had anyone shoot at me, but I've had plenty an ********* nearly run me over while they yack away on the ol' electronic leash.

Two years ago, the wife and I were headed home from the Tanner gun show on I-25. We were cruisin', 110, 115, somewhere in there. This in a Subaru wagon swung to the left lane doing maybe 40. Was all I could do not to hit her. Once I had the bike under control, I got about 6" off her bumper, thumped the back glass with my fist and gave her the bird in no uncertain terms before rocketing past her.

People just don't pay attention to bikes.

Good luck with the trial.

cassandrasdaddy
October 19, 2006, 10:09 PM
priceless comentary on who you are

"We were cruisin', 110, 115, somewhere in there. This in a Subaru wagon swung to the left lane doing maybe 40. Was all I could do not to hit her. Once I had the bike under control, I got about 6" off her bumper, thumped the back glass with my fist and gave her the bird in no uncertain terms before rocketing past her."

thanks you reminded me of my youth and why i'm happier getting older

moewadle
October 20, 2006, 12:27 AM
who has the moral, ethical, or legal right to be cruising over 100 MPH on the highway??? As far as I know 40MPH is the minimum legal speed on most freeways in USA so 40 is legal. Yes, I agree, she probably didn't see the bike.

real_name
October 20, 2006, 12:40 AM
who has the moral, ethical, or legal right to be cruising over 100 MPH on the highway???

I think when you've had three gallons of coffee, numerous overdoses of adrenalin and massive amounts of residual steroids in the blood, as I imagine MachIV had, then morals, ethics and legalities are just other things in the way, like Subarus, like Subarus that were probably doing 70mph but you won't admit that as you're getting older your reflexes are failing.
Riding bikes at speeds like that is a very poor odds game with lots of unwilling participants.

gunsmith
October 20, 2006, 04:54 AM
stay off the sidewalk!:neener: :evil:

who has the moral, ethical, or legal right to be cruising over 100 MPH on the highway

if you don't like it don't do it.
I sometimes drive that fast, on the h'way , it's one of the reasons I like the desert so much.
I'm in a hurry or I want to go fast, if your in the fast lane going 40 when the speed limit is 65 then you're complete moron who can't understand the signs that say "slower traffic move right"

The only people who have the right to make me stop driving fast is a cop in uniform, wannabe's get a lot a well deserved grief

razorburn
October 20, 2006, 05:06 AM
Cassandras daddy, where does he say that? I didn't read too much beyond the original post, where he was being tailgated by the shooter, passed, and then stopped and shot at.

Sindawe
October 20, 2006, 05:51 AM
Two years ago, the wife and I were headed home from the Tanner gun show on I-25. We were cruisin', 110, 115, somewhere in there. This b*tch in a Subaru wagon swung to the left lane doing maybe 40. Was all I could do not to hit her. Once I had the bike under control, I got about 6" off her bumper, thumped the back glass with my fist and gave her the bird in no uncertain terms before rocketing past her.

People just don't pay attention to bikes.As I fellow rider, I must ask; Where was your attention that you did not notice that you were rapidly overtaking a cager on the road? Traveling at that speed, you MUST take the long view of what the other fools on the road might do. Maybe the bint driving the Subaru did not see you, but you could not have failed to see her based on your description of the encounter.

As with many things in life, paranoia is not a mental illness. It is a survival trait.

Exposure
October 20, 2006, 10:00 AM
Two years ago, the wife and I were headed home from the Tanner gun show on I-25. We were cruisin', 110, 115, somewhere in there. This in a Subaru wagon swung to the left lane doing maybe 40. Was all I could do not to hit her. Once I had the bike under control, I got about 6" off her bumper, thumped the back glass with my fist and gave her the bird in no uncertain terms before rocketing past her.

If this story is true then you shouldn't be carrying. Apparently controlling your temper and making rational decisions aren't your strong points. Bad traits to have when carrying a gun.

Why were you travelling at triple digit speeds with a passenger on a public road? Why would you get 6" off her bumper and show her what a bad dude you are? Suppose she brake checked you and sent you and your wife spilling onto the interstate in front of oncoming traffic, you would have shown her huh? The person who got you in that situation was YOU by travelling at ridiculous speed among automotive traffic.

I have been a rider for the past 16 years, nearly every day I see people do stupid things, and it's not always the cagers doing the stupid stuff. I see a lot of bikers being just as stupid and agressive as the car drivers.

To fasternyou929-

Good luck, glad you are alright. Hope they put the guy away for a long time.

DRZinn
October 20, 2006, 10:02 AM
who has the moral, ethical, or legal right to be cruising over 100 MPH on the highway???)Well, it ain't legal most places, but as for the moral and ethical part, how's this: anyone who can control their car at that speed.

MachIVshooter
October 20, 2006, 12:04 PM
Maybe the bint driving the Subaru did not see you, but you could not have failed to see her based on your description of the encounter.

Speed limit: 75

Avg. speed of traffic: 85-90, speeds of 100+ not uncommon. I had cars behind me nearly keeping up.

condition: other vehicles in center lanes, left lane visibily clear for 1/2 mile +/-

Subaru driver: cut off van in lane to the right before sweeping into left lane. I saw his brakelights about .2 seconds before she came into our lane. She didn't make a lane change. She swept multiple lanes. Vehicles that had been several car lengths behind were now on my bumper, trying not to cause a pile-up. If I'd been in a car, I'd have hit her.

If this story is true then you shouldn't be carrying. Apparently controlling your temper and making rational decisions aren't your strong points

This was two years ago, before I had a CCW. Yes, it makes you think twice when you carry and I wouldn't do it today. On that note, did you somehow interpret what I wrote to include my having violent intentions toward her? If I had wanted to start a fight, I'd have cratered her door panel as I went by. I was shaken up and PO'd, but a long way from wanting to hurt someone.

Bergerboy
October 20, 2006, 04:37 PM
Holy cow! Glad it ended up OK!

:starts planning open-carry tank rig for bike... :

Vern Smalley
October 20, 2006, 04:59 PM
Is it possible that since a bike's speedometer cable works off the front wheel that the flat tire somehow made the speedometer reading inaccurate? Wouldn't the speedometer needle be a blur with all that vibration?

Just wondering.

Anyway, I'll try to be a "small" target when out on my Honda. (Max speed 45 mph).

c_yeager
October 20, 2006, 05:14 PM
A cbr929rr is sport bike and far, far more powerful than something like a harley or some such that the others may be commenting on. Keeping the bike upright at those speeds with a flat tire may be harder to believe, but who knows, I've never tried it and I'll take his word for it. The bikes do get more stable as speed increases. He says hit those speeds to get away from the shooter.

The author stated that he actually excellerated from a near stop to 150mph with a completely deflated front tire and a passenger.

He goes on to state that the driver was keeping up with him in a HONDA ACCORD OR CIVIC up to speeds in excess of 120MPH. That is complete and utter crap.

With any bike its going to be hard to accelerate to 150 with a passenger and dragging a flattened front tire, I wont say it's impossible, but it is brushing up against it.

I think that he did get shot at, but that he is exaggerating the speeds involved.

fasternyou929
October 20, 2006, 05:23 PM
Apology absolutely accepted, thank you. About the guys history... he has no priors, that's part of what makes this case difficult. Unfortunately that's how our justice system works.

lol, I'd gladly buy you some lotto tickets but I feel I should warn you that I believe I used up all my good luck that night!

fasternyou929
October 20, 2006, 05:32 PM
Thank you for the support also. Turns out the case was continued again this morning... now set for some time in December, I believe. I've been told that it's definitely going to trial then. When that date comes, I'll certainly post developments here for those interested.

fasternyou929
October 20, 2006, 05:45 PM
The speedometer on a 929 works off the gearbox, not the front tire, so the blown front didn't have any affect on its reading. It's also a large digital readout, not analog, so it was still clear (and sobering) to read, albeit shaky. On decelleration, I would imagine it was impossible to read, but I obviously was paying attention to other matters then.

c_yeager: I don't understand what I would benefit from exaggerating the speeds, and you're misunderstanding some of what I said. I wasn't completely stopped when he started shooting, but we were at low speed. The car wasn't still next to me at 120 either, but it was obvious he was going well faster than everyone else behind me.

I well aware I'm brushing up against the impossible with what I'm saying, which should make you understand even more that I'm as grateful as I am that my (now) fiancee and I are still alive, much less not physically mamed.

As I said before, if you choose not to believe part of what I'm saying or dismiss all of it, that's up to you. I realize I'm nothing more than a screenname to anybody that hasn't met me, so I start out lacking credibility. Such is life. The person who's opinion matters to me most knows what happened that night.

Inline_6
October 20, 2006, 05:55 PM
Thank you for the support also. Turns out the case was continued again this morning... now set for some time in December, I believe. I've been told that it's definitely going to trial then. When that date comes, I'll certainly post developments here for those interested.
That's crap! I can't stand it when lawyers and judges play that game. :mad: :fire: :cuss:

Thylacine
October 20, 2006, 06:40 PM
When I was stationed in Italy, the wife and I were on my Kaw 750. I had a front go flat on the Autostrada. With both of us on the bike, it was not as bad as I had feared. Maneuvering was a real pain, but keeping a straight line was barely OK. I have had rear tires let go before, never with a passenger, and they were much more troublesome.

Just for what it is worth.

Vern Smalley
October 20, 2006, 06:56 PM
Fasternyou929:

You have my sympathies. It's not fun being the target. And for what it's worth, I believe you. It's really tough when you tell the truth and people call you a liar. But that's just human nature when people use pseuds. I've been in that corner, and it's frustrating as all - - - - !

Vern Smalley

c_yeager
October 21, 2006, 04:01 PM
I wasn't completely stopped when he started shooting, but we were at low speed. The car wasn't still next to me at 120 either, but it was obvious he was going well faster than everyone else behind me.

You stated in your original post that you were *behind* the Honda at 110-120. You also state that you both came to a complete stop and had a conversation before you were passed him from that stop and he started shooting.

Follwed him at about 110-120 mph until my buddy finally hauls ass and leaves him way behind. His focus is back on me and he starts brake checking me. I refuse to pass and we eventually come to a complete stop in the middle of 595.

He's taunting me asking "you think you can make it by me?" I keep telling him I know I can and he just needs to be on his way so we can all go home.

He starts threatening to kick my ass --

Finally decide just to ride by and be done with the drama -- I'll outrun him if necessary. As I ride past him, he turns into me again and then I hear "pop, pop".

Noon is calling you a liar, but I for one, am trying to figure out exactly how this happened, and the details do count. It almost seems that you are having a hard time reconciling your original story as well.

Out of curiosity, what is the average speedo error on a 929?

fasternyou929
October 21, 2006, 06:53 PM
My fault, I've been focusing on the speeds after I was shot at, but you're right that I followed him at 110-120 prior to that. I got close enough to get a plate number, then dropped back 1/4-1/2 mile just so I could be there if my friend crashed and needed me. Don't see what's so hard to believe about an Accord reaching those speeds over a stretch of interstate.

No problems reconciling here, just not used to people questioning the speeds at that point. The speedo error on any motorcycle in that range is typically around 10%. I saw high 160's indicated at one point, so I tell the story as 150+.

Sleeping Dog
October 21, 2006, 07:30 PM
just not used to people questioning the speeds at that point
Get used to it. The guy's attorney is going to question everything endlessly just to try to rattle you.

I only had one flat, blew a front on a BMW hitting a pothole (attention lapse, didn't see it). I managed to stop without dumping it, but what a pain, wobbled like crazy. I'm glad I didn't have any reason to drive fast after that, just had to fix the flat (and reshape the rim with a big hammer).

Good luck in court.

c_yeager
October 22, 2006, 04:05 AM
No problems reconciling here, just not used to people questioning the speeds at that point.

Remember that your posting this on a board that is focused primarily on firearms and tactics, not a motorcycle enthusiast board, and the people here are going to be interested in being picky over details. If I found your thread over on cycleforums (where I am a member) I wouldnt have asked such pointed question. Noone is calling you a liar, just trying to get into the meat of what happened.

NCBUSA
October 22, 2006, 05:55 AM
Wow, Just read the story. Crazy cager. I hope he gets lots of time to get aquainted with "bubba" in the joint.

Please post a follow up when you know more.

All in all, I think you handled youself pretty well. I also agree with earlier posters, get a CCW.

If you would have been armed. When you came to a stop behind the car you could have just stayed put. If he tried any crap, ie reversing his car to get closer, you would have had more options. IMHO.

Chris

fasternyou929
July 25, 2007, 10:34 PM
The verdict came back: not guilty. They cobbled together a story last night and the jury bought it.

They claimed the gun I saw in his had during our verbal exchange was a camera. It was manufactured in 2006, 2 years after the incident, but the State's Attorney let that slip to the defense attorney before there was testimony on it, so that was tossed before the jury was back in the room.

He testified that he pulled to the shoulder of the road to get his cell phone out of the trunk to call the police and that I came up and parked behind him. He then got in his car to call the police, I walked up to the window and punched him, then pulled a gun on him. Then, before I could get a shot off, he got his gun out of the glove box, shot the tire out on my bike so he could escape, and took off all without a single shot striking him or his car. Nevermind the fact that I've never owned a gun.

The judge, defense, prosecution, even the defendant were expecting a guilty verdict. But there was one old man on the jury that said he sympathized with the defendant and thought "he suffered enough already". I guess we didn't and don't matter. He made up his mind from the beginning and didn't weigh the facts.... and all it takes is one.

It's like being the victims all over again.

evil_brother
July 26, 2007, 01:48 PM
I read that while thing and that sucks big time. i dont think I would have been able to take that as well as you did, id probably be seeking revenge or something but some are better than others at restraining themselves. :rolleyes: Best of luck to ya, hope you own a firearm now, and God Bless.

damien
July 26, 2007, 07:56 PM
So, did you get a CCW yet?

phaed
July 26, 2007, 08:37 PM
i don't believe any of this horse crap

eltorrente
July 26, 2007, 08:42 PM
On that note, did you somehow interpret what I wrote to include my having violent intentions toward her? If I had wanted to start a fight, I'd have cratered her door panel as I went by. I was shaken up and PO'd, but a long way from wanting to hurt someone.

You had a road rage incident, and it could have spiraled out of control. She could have gotten pissed when you were tail gating and hit the brakes, or swerved into you when you passed. She could have floored it and chased you down the highway and caused an accident or something.

You did this with your wife on the back of the bike? :scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "Road Rager shoots at motorcyclist - Triple digit Chase" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!