any UK members that can advise with .22 guns

PDA

superhoops1888
October 18, 2006, 07:56 PM
hi guys sorry but im struggling
new to all of this, my son wants a .22 or .177 gun for xmas
im in scotland so anybody in the uk on that can help

im looking at a rifle and a hand gun
would co2 if possible, saves the manual operation (i think)
also would be good if you can have more than one pellet in it!

any reccomendation of guns or online websites to buy from?
oh forgot to say, on a budget as well, both for 200 ish......

thanks
will

If you enjoyed reading about "any UK members that can advise with .22 guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Justin
October 18, 2006, 07:58 PM
Hello!

We've got a number of UK members here at THR. Hopefully one of them will be along shortly to help you get started on navigating the legalities of such a purchase.

superhoops1888
October 18, 2006, 08:20 PM
thanks, hopefully somebody soon...
will

Brian Ellis
October 19, 2006, 02:44 AM
OK, I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on television. If, as a result of following this advice, you are arrested and imprisoned for the rest of your life, this is entirely your problem.:)

First off, how old is your son? It may be illegal for him to own an airgun. This is from the British Association for Shooting and Conservation website :

Air Rifles and Young Persons -

17 years and over
You may buy, borrow or hire an air rifle and its ammunition and may use it where you have permission to do so.

Aged 14 17 years
You may not buy or hire an air rifle or ammunition. You may not receive an air rifle or ammunition as a gift but you may borrow one. If you are under 17 then your air rifle and ammunition must be bought for you by someone over 17 normally your parent, guardian or some other responsible adult.

If you are aged between 14 17 years you may use an air rifle on private premises without supervision with the consent of the occupier normally the owner or tenant. However, if you allow a pellet to go outside of the premises whilst you are shooting then you commit a criminal offence.

You may not carry an air rifle in a public place unless you are supervised by a person of 21 years or over and you have a reasonable excuse to do so, for example, whilst on the way to a club or land where you have permission to shoot. It is common sense to carry the air rifle in a gun cover and you should always ensure that it is unloaded.

Young people under 14 years
If you are under 14 you may not buy, hire or receive an air rifle or its ammunition as a gift.

You may borrow an air rifle and use it under supervision on private premises with permission from the occupier normally the owner or tenant. The person who supervises you must be of or over 21 years of age.

If a pellet leaves the premises whilst you are shooting then both you and the person supervising you commit a criminal offence.

Parents or guardians who buy an air rifle for use by an under 14 year old must exercise control over it at all time even in the home or garden.

see http://www.basc.org.uk/content/airriflepractice for more details

Believe it or not decent airguns are actually more expensive that a .22 rifle, as they are much more complicated inside.

An air rifle of less than 12ft/lbs energy at the muzzle and a pistol of less than 6ft/lbs energy at the muzzle are technically not firearms and can therefore be purchased without a Firearms Certificate, subject too the above. Anything more powerful than that is treated in exactly the same way as a .50BMG rifle!

There are some replica pistols that take a small CO2 bulb and fire using an 8-10 round magazine (actually a small plastic cylinder with pellets in). I think these should be available within your price range.

[There was a company called Brocock that offered copies of some revolvers that fired airgun pellets from a small self contained air cartridge - if you are offered one of these run away fast, they are illegal and treated as handguns, ie 5 years inside for ownership.]

Air rifles are another matter. Most use compressed air in some format. At the cheap end of the market they tend to be single shot - you compress an air charge in a small tank using a lever on the gun (often the barrel) load, fire and repeat as needed. Multi shot rifles are quite expensive - way over your budget.

Your best bet it to look in a large newsagent for a magazine called GunMart - it has a large air rifle section and loads of adverts which should give you an idea of pricing. I'm not sure whether purchases need to be in person or can be by mail order, I suspect it may need to be in person.

If it's legal, I'd go for the air rifle in .177 as most target shooting seems to be set up for this calibre.

Fosbery
October 19, 2006, 08:26 AM
The above is correct as regards the law, although very soon the age for purchasing an air weapon will increase to 18.

.177 is generally superior to .22, especially for your purposes.

Anything by BSA or Walther is good I think. I'm not in to air guns myself so I can't advise on specific models or other makes.

How old is your son? You might want to consider helping him join a smallbore target club so he can use 'real' .22 rifles.

Boom-stick
October 19, 2006, 08:50 AM
Welcome,

go for a BAIKAL MP- 651K and get the best of both worlds. only about 75 and is a CO2 pistol with add on barrel and stock to turn it into a rifle and isn't too much of an outlay, if it winds up sitting in the wardrobe or getting confiscated 'coz he took out the kitchen window, then it's not a huge loss. (other than the window)

Check out http://www.jsramsbottom.com

They are generally the cheapest out there.

Dan

G36-UK
October 19, 2006, 10:17 AM
If you're anywhere near Edinburgh, Wonderland Models sells quite a few Walther CO2 pistols, including the Nighthawk in plain and camo, as well as the Redhawk.

I think they're a bit pricey if you're going for a rifle as well, but they do have some good CO2 guns.

Fosbery
October 19, 2006, 10:52 AM
What does he want them for? Target shooting? Plinking? Hunting?

If you enjoyed reading about "any UK members that can advise with .22 guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!