Christians at Bush's school violence summit: "don't blame guns, spread compassion"

PDA

CNYCacher
October 18, 2006, 10:32 PM
Just heard this clip on the radio. A christian-based organization was able to speak the Bush's "School Violence Summit". They encouraged spreading compassion instead of concentrating on "band-aids" like metal detectors and blaming guns.

The two who were invited to the summit, John and Debbie Phillips, are the aunt and uncle of Rachel Scott, killed in the Columbine incident.

[President Bush] said, and I'm quoting him:
It's really important the people not think Government is a loving entity. Government is law and justice. Love comes from the hearts of people who are able to empart love . . . and that requires a higher power than the federal government.

which i think is exactly right; you can't legislate morality

. . .

It's our family's belief that guns technically speaking did not kill Rachel, hatred killed our niece. There are heart issues that have to be addressed, and not band-aid answers of metal detectors or police on campus. So I was thankful that the president acknowleged that, and that's kind of the direction that a lot of the meeting took.

You can listen to the interview here(stream is in a popup):
klove.com streaming audio (http://klove.com/redir.asp?/listen/?href=/stream.asp?href=/audio/podcasts/klovenews_podcast578_20061017.asx&title=KLOVE+Podcast&author=KLOVE+Radio&onespeed=True)

If you enjoyed reading about "Christians at Bush's school violence summit: "don't blame guns, spread compassion"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DerringerUser
October 18, 2006, 10:35 PM
Hooray! The christains finally did something right!

Euclidean
October 18, 2006, 10:36 PM
You mean besides found the country in which you are so freely allowed to unjustly criticize them based on hollow prejudice and guarantee your freedom to do it?

scurtis_34471
October 19, 2006, 12:10 AM
I hate to let the facts get in the way of a good opinion, but this country was primarily founded by Deists, not Christians.

Panthera Tigris
October 19, 2006, 01:53 AM
scurtis is right. I'm getting weary of hearing the same myth over and over that the US was founded primarily by Christians. It just ain't so.

Some Founding Fathers were Christian, some Deists and actually one or two Universalist Unitarians, (Universalists were the first, original Christians). Branded as heretics by the Catholics.

I'd think the first Christians who were the closest to Jesus' time would be the authentic deal, not all the sects who came years later.

But I'm getting off topic. I'm glad to see someone speaking out and not blaming guns.

carpediem
October 19, 2006, 02:19 AM
Omnia vincit amor - Virgil

As much as I favor self-defense preparedness, let's face it - an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Kudos to those who are willing to address the sources of societal dysfunction; not just it's implements or manifestations.

RealGun
October 19, 2006, 07:25 AM
They encouraged spreading compassion instead of concentrating on "band-aids" like metal detectors and blaming guns.

Yeah, well I'd rather have the metal detectors.

buzz_knox
October 19, 2006, 08:23 AM
scurtis is right. I'm getting weary of hearing the same myth over and over that the US was founded primarily by Christians. It just ain't so.

Some Founding Fathers were Christian, some Deists and actually one or two Universalist Unitarians, (Universalists were the first, original Christians). Branded as heretics by the Catholics.

Actually, you're right and scurtis is wrong. The Deists played a role (particularly among the political elite) but they were not the primary founders of the country. I think that role would go to those who fought for and built this country.

And no, universalists weren't the original Christians.

Not trying to get into a religious debate, but as you both say, getting the facts right is important.

Lone_Gunman
October 19, 2006, 08:37 AM
There were a few Deists, notably Ben Franklin, but there were not many. No matter how badly you wish you could revise history, the majority of the founders and people living here at the time were Christians.

BSlacker
October 19, 2006, 09:41 AM
It is the truth that evil in their hearts is a cause of school violence. But untill we get an evil heart detector I'll runem by a metal detector before entrance to the school and have good fences also. :)

Henry Bowman
October 19, 2006, 11:29 AM
Please get this thread back on The High Road. :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Christians at Bush's school violence summit: "don't blame guns, spread compassion"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!