California Bound


October 18, 2006, 11:16 PM
I am in the military and might relocate to California. I know they have strict gun laws but I had questions concerning guns already in my possession. Specifically two AR-15s that are not CA legal (ie detachable mags). Am I allowed to bring these with me as these were purchased while residing in Florida and resident of Florida or will I have to stash them at my parents house? All my other guns aren't too menacing looking :) consisting of mostly sporting rifles and shotguns and few pistols. Any info is appreciated.


If you enjoyed reading about "California Bound" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
Creeping Incrementalism
October 18, 2006, 11:22 PM
If the receiver is listed on the Kasler AK/AR Assault Weapons list, you can't bring it in. Note: AR models start on second page.

Otherwise, stick in a ten round mag and replace the mag release with a nut 'n bolt. Note: the cops may confiscate it anyway if they see it.

For further details, try

October 18, 2006, 11:29 PM
You have my sympathies on the inconvenience.
It is a nightmare of mine that my wife will actually achieve what her company is grooming her for, Vice President based in San Diego.
I told her I'll just have to buy more guns now in Free Tennessee and hope for the best when (and if) we move there.
It keeps me awake at night.

October 18, 2006, 11:30 PM
My understanding is that new residents to the state cannot bring in assault rifles also, sorry I was not old enough to vote when the prk AWB came around.

On the flip side however my AR's are not exactly legal either. But they are not assembled....:evil:

P.S just dont do anything stupid while you are here either, cops out here are real pricks for the most part also they dont really know what the laws are concerning the weapons so if they do see it they will confiscate it for "PUBLIC SAFETY".

October 18, 2006, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have an LMT AR that is not on the list but has a colapsable SOPMOD stock that I think kills that idea. I guess I will have to store all my high cap mags for my to SIG pistols as well. I will surely miss the Gunshine State at least with regards to being a firearm enthusiast.


Creeping Incrementalism
October 19, 2006, 12:13 AM
I have an LMT AR that is not on the list but has a colapsable SOPMOD stock that I think kills that idea.

No, as long as the mag is fixed you can add all the "evil" features you want. A rifle must have a detachable mag before it can be considered an "Assault Weapon" based on features.

I will have to store all my high cap mags for my to SIG pistols as well.
Correct, no importing magazines with a capacity of more than 10.

October 19, 2006, 12:19 AM
You can sell it to me cheap and shoot it all you want when you come up North :evil:

October 19, 2006, 12:30 AM
I'd suggest checking out (, ask around and search the forum archives and you should get all the answers you need.

Oh, and welcome to the Golden State.

October 19, 2006, 12:32 AM
So all I have to do is put a stupid bolt and ten round magazine in my LMT and Bushmaster and they are good to go. Good to know but how do you burn through hundreds/thousands of rounds with a ten round fixed magazine. when I shoot my ARs it is usually 300-500 rounds then I find something else to shoot during the range session. well at least they haven't banned lever guns or I would be really pissed that i couldn't bring my Marlin 1895G. And no I am not selling any of my stuff as I don't think I will be there that long. So I guess the days of buying a pistol and walking out with it 10 minutes later with a FL CCW are over. i wish I was going to become a CA resident just so I could vote. Again thanks for all the input.
Anyone need 40 30rnd AR mags. Just kidding they will go into hiding with my hi cap pistol mags.


October 19, 2006, 12:34 AM

already typed my last reply before a seen yours and I have briefly looked over the forum in the last five minutes and will probably spend a lot more time there.


4v50 Gary
October 19, 2006, 12:40 AM
Sorry to hear you're moving to California. You can't bring any banned semi into this facist (ahem, enlightened) state. We just narrowly averted a micro-stamp legislation that would have resulted in all new guns being taken off the market unless their firing pin microstamped the primer. Wow. Imagine what one stroke of a file would do to that stamp? :rolleyes: That's how stupid our legislature is. Vote pro-gun after you register.

October 19, 2006, 12:59 AM
seggerty: If my memory serves me correctly, service members may petition DOJ for a permit that allows them to bring "assault weapons" into the state if they are stationed here. You should be able to find the details at

October 19, 2006, 01:21 AM
If you can avoid it don't come here. Also might want to check into our Saturday night special law, don't remember if you can't bring in "unlisted" pistols or not. Of course, then theres the handgun registration that you could theoretically ignore until you use it for self defense, then it's an unregistered gun, you broke the law:fire: :fire: it's now you who's going to jail because you didn't just give the guy your wallet:banghead: :banghead: ... Breaking those laws makes Fuerer Feinstein and Heir Boxer very angry!

Can someone back me, or am I blowing it all out of proportion?

O can't wait to move

50 Shooter
October 19, 2006, 01:30 AM
As with anything on the net, be sure to check on what's being said.

YOU CAN BRING AN ASSAULT RIFLE WITH YOU if you're in the Military, get the forms from the CAL DOJ before coming here and send them back in. If you're coming to Pendelton PM me and I'll get you in contact with a friend. He's an FFL and a LTC in the Marines and will go out of his way to help you get them here. As for the mags, buy some 10 rounders and leave the hi-caps with family until you depart the PRK.

October 19, 2006, 01:35 AM
50 Shooter

Thanks for the info. I will be headed to North Island NAS just down the road from Pendleton. i was there about 7 years ago but for only 10 months for training so I left all my firearms with my parents.


October 19, 2006, 02:12 AM
My condolences. :) You can drop them 30 rd mags at my place in Vegas on the way!

October 19, 2006, 03:55 AM
Doesn't bushmaster sell a replacement quick pull pin so that you can pivot the the upper from the lower to facilitate faster loading of a fixed mag AR? Does that conform to the Cal laws? I don't know whether or not it makes the rifle any less safe, but the theory seems sound.

Mark Whiteman
October 19, 2006, 04:45 AM
Don't take anything into PRK that is likely to make a future list, including scoped bolt actions. Develop an interest in lever actions and cowboy action shooting. I predict it will eventually be less hassle to get a permit to buy dynamite than it will be to possess the firearms you really want. Make your stay as pleasant and as temporary as possible.

October 19, 2006, 04:47 AM
Military members who arent from CA can get a permit for Assault Weapons. IIRC, It is only valid for the length of time that the person is in the military. So the day that the servicemember's contract is up, the rifle needs to be out of the state.

this thread might help you a bit..

Mark Whiteman
October 19, 2006, 05:00 AM
And if that occurs when your guns are in ********** and you're elsewhere...I wouldn't put it past them to issue felony indictments. It isn't worth the potential legal entanglements that may or may not prove you right and The State wrong. Besides, permits are just another word for registration.

I don't mean to sound like I'm down on the residents there, but until the political climate changes, a lot, there are a whole lot of people in elected office that need to be told to GTFO.

Some people are like a slinky: not much good for anything, but you can't help but smile when seeing one tumble down the stairs.

October 19, 2006, 11:31 AM
Check with the Provost Marshall at your CURRENT post AND at your California assignment. They will give you the up-to-date info and help you make arrangements for the LEGAL transportation/storage of your firearms. Military personnel are "exempt" from certain state laws, but you need to find out exactly what you need to do.

If you plan on shooting your "California-illegal" firearms while assigned in California, be sure to have your military I.D. with you, and any other documents that specifically denote the "exemption" that you have.

Registered "assault weapons" are now LEGAL to shoot in many Bureau of Land Management locations. Even though BLM is a "federal" agency, they are required to uphold certain "state" laws. At one time, the registered "assault weapons" could only be fired at "authorized ranges" (wherever those are?). The BLM was NOT an "authorized range" a couple of years ago, but that has since been changed. Californians who have REGISTERED "assault weapons" can shoot them in many BLM territories, but it is advisable that you have your registration documents available. Otherwise, you may be "detained" for an investigation.

October 20, 2006, 02:54 AM
Thanks to all who replied with places to get information. California is a good career move for me and family but sure is going to put a damper on my shooting hobbies.:banghead:


If you enjoyed reading about "California Bound" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!