Military arms you just couldn't warm up to..

PDA

aspen1964
October 19, 2006, 12:24 PM
..I have shot the AR15 types many times and never did find it all that exciting or interesting...I did find the AK types somewhat interesting to shoot..and when I first shot & owned an M1 carbine, that was quite satisfying to shoot...my last military rifle has been an M1 and although years ago I didn't entertain the idea to buy one myself, I have quickly found it to be my favorite one so far...why?..individual taste maybe ?...??

If you enjoyed reading about "Military arms you just couldn't warm up to.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
October 19, 2006, 12:30 PM
No, what people "like is what people see in the movies and television.

Jackal
October 19, 2006, 12:33 PM
I cannot, just cannot enjoy shooting a military Mauser. I don't have any idea why. I have owned several ranging from a beater M48 to a pristine K98, and I just can't warm up to them.

aspen1964
October 19, 2006, 12:33 PM
I think that might explain it until you fire one at the range..then you will decide liking it or not after firing one..also, I have seen as many M16s on tv or the movies as any other military gun....so that wouldn't explain it for me either...

aspen1964
October 19, 2006, 12:35 PM
I haven't tried any bolt-action rifles..maybe..I should sometime ...

DogBonz
October 19, 2006, 12:36 PM
Never liked AK's and SKS's. Dont know why. I just don't. I'm not slam'n um. They are just not my style.

Rev. DeadCorpse
October 19, 2006, 12:43 PM
AK's I'm ok with. Still don't like the ergonomics on the SKS though. I've enjoyed everything else I've shot though. Haven't tried a Nagant yet, so there could be additions later... ;-)

'Card
October 19, 2006, 12:57 PM
To tell you the truth, I don't get all that excited about any military long arms.

A lot of the criteria that go into designing a good issue weapon are things that just don't apply to me. Simplicity of operation and limited recoil, for two examples, are a big deal in the selection process if you're going to have to teach people to use it who aren't already familiar with guns. Those issues just aren't relevant to me.

While I certainly like a gun to be reliable, I'm also capable of cleaning and maintaining one pretty well myself. If you're designing a gun to issue to troops, you can't assume that's something they can do on their own. I don't have any need for 20-round mags, I don't have any interest in being able to attach 20 different gizmos to it, and I don't require a small caliber because I'm not going to be carrying around 250 rounds of ammo.

I realize that most military-style rifles can be reasonably accurate, but most of the time this is accomplished by a lot of tweaking, tuning, and aftermarket parts. Given the option, I'd really rather have one that shot pretty well right out of the box.

Last but not least, I don't think people give enough credit to how much of a role cheap manufacturing and cheap maintenance often play in the military's selection process. It's easy to forget when you look at how much you have to pay for the civilian version of the same weapon, but a low-cost, easy-to-make design is a much bigger factor than some folks realize.

I carried an M-16 for a few years, and I've fired FAL's, G3's, AK's... pretty much the entire modern crop of issue weapons. I felt like all of them made compromises that made them suitable for the military, but weren't necessary for me as a civilian buyer and experienced shooter.

Joe Demko
October 19, 2006, 12:59 PM
I've tried to like the SMLE and it just isn't in me to do so.I shot a bunch of them and owned a couple, but I never had the same enthusiasm for shooting one that I've had for other bolt guns.

aspen1964
October 19, 2006, 01:08 PM
agreed..but I always keep military & sporting arms in seperate brackets because they are designed for completely different reasons and people...

...I also don't care to gadgetize a gun almost to death with sophisticated junk....

Terrierman
October 19, 2006, 01:25 PM
M-14. Let the flames begin.

ArmedBear
October 19, 2006, 01:46 PM
Depends what you mean by "warm up."

For example, the AK. It's kinda fun to shoot an AK. Yes, I do live in California, but there are some pre-ban guns floating about. I don't have one, but I've shot them. However, I think an AK, set up with standard plank wood hardware, is not especially comfortable. It's fine for its intended purpose: peasant armies running around spraying bullets, and it's a fun toy. But it's not a gun I could really love, like take out of the safe and just shoulder and admire on a regular basis.

I have an SKS. It's still sitting in Cosmoline, as it has been for a long time. It's an interesting piece, and a relatively rare one for a Yugo. But I've never been obsessed with taking it out and shooting it. It was more of a "buy a 59 before they're all gone" purchase. I'd rather shoot my Mini-14 Ranch Rifle, which remains my favorite "long-range plinker."

My AR lowers remain without uppers. I bought them because of a legal window of opportunity in California. I'm not in any hurry to spend money on uppers.

I don't know. I think that any military/milsurp guns I've bought have been "get them cheap while you can", or "get them before they're banned" purchases, more than "I want a shooter!" purchases. Now that there's a kid on the way, I kinda wish I'd have put the money in the bank instead. Of course, one day, he'll get some cool rifles that aren't so readily available any more, so I'm not regretting it too badly.:)

I wish my dad had picked up some M1 Carbines, Garands, GI 1911's, 98 Mausers, etc., when they came in Cracker Jack boxes.

desertvet762
October 19, 2006, 01:53 PM
Arms I have NO interest in:

Steyr AUG
Mosin Nagant
ANYTHING made by Robinson Armament
ANYTHING made by H&K
CETMEs
non-WWII German Mausers

rection47
October 19, 2006, 02:22 PM
Only military rifle id like to have is maybe the M14 or G3, and an M24(pretty sure thats the one based on the rem 700).

Otherwise id pass on the rest, Especially and AK, i hate how they look and have no need for something so rugged.

Correia
October 19, 2006, 02:26 PM
I'm different in that I absolutely love military style guns. Pretty much all of them across the board.

Traditional "huntin" guns leave me kind of, well, bored I guess. Not that I have anything against them, and I own several. I appreciate pretty blueing and nice wood and all that, but I just don't get excited.

Now stick me in a room with some new thing made out of plastic and rails with laser beams shooting out of it, and I totally geek out. :)

Strangely enough, my favorite hunting type guns are usually tweaked Mausers, or 1917s.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
October 19, 2006, 02:30 PM
M1A aka M14---hated the thing---don't know why---just did.

MinScout
October 19, 2006, 02:55 PM
Can't like the M16/M4 platform. It's probably ok for Street fighting in Iraq, but it's full pistol grip and jutting magazine are a pain in the butt to get in and out of a vehicle or small guard shack. If it were up to me, I'd carry an M1 carbine or a handgun on the job. Ironically, I own a Bushmaster "M4orgery", but in the two years I've owned it, I've only shot about 100 rounds out of it. I never liked the SKS either because it's an ugly commie p.o.s.

TimboKhan
October 19, 2006, 03:09 PM
Much to the amazement of almost everyone who has heard me say it, I don't like FAL's. I can think of a bunch of ways to say why I don't like it, but in the end, I just don't.

Mikee Loxxer
October 19, 2006, 03:10 PM
AR, I see too many of them at the range and on the tube. AK, I don't like the construction. M1 Carbine, only one I ever tried jammed on the second shot and the proprietary cartridge seems underpowered.

yodar
October 19, 2006, 03:31 PM
I'd add to your list a Steyr M95 strait pull, and Enfield no 5 Jungle carbine. I dislike being brutalized by a poorly designed rifle and I'll include the MN 91/30 tho it is an excellent plowboy-sojer rifle and noteworthy for accuracy

I either avoid those or develop reloads to make the suit MY needs.

Steyr AUG -THAT is tupperware! Not a gun! I dont find any interest in the British standard bullpup either.

I am a student of the MAUSER and want to shoot all I own with ONLY my reloads

I have a 8 mm Czech VZ 24 that I rebarrelled for my 7.62 x 39 CB reloads

I have a Swiss K-31 strait pull that I am reloading for too, as I am for my '96 SWEDE which is a delight to shoot with it's originally designed ammo. Cant find a mould for 6.5 Swede I like so I'm using Midway fmj bulk pak bullets

Yodar

ArmedBear
October 19, 2006, 03:32 PM
I like my Steyr. The M95 is a cool piece. To keep in the closet.:)

RNB65
October 19, 2006, 03:34 PM
Can't stand the AK. Made for people with no necks and really short arms.

Not a big fan of the 1911 even though I own a Springer loaded. Grip is too skinny and the safety is exactly where my thumb wants to be which forces me to put my thumb in an unnatural position to shoot it.

Never have liked the Beretta 92.

Rocko442
October 19, 2006, 03:56 PM
The Brits standard rifle looks as dorky as a weapon possibly can. Come on, guys, either pick up the M16 or the G36, fire a rifle that makes you look as a man should.

Speaking of such, I have enjoyed every expierence I have had firing AR-style .223 rifles, but I really can't say I trust my life to a .22 caliber bullet. In close range combat, I'd take an M1 Carbine over an AR. Of course, I can think of few combat situations where I'd want anything other than an M1 Rifle. Unless it's a shotgun or pistol.

Glocks are military pistols in some places, right? Good, because they are the most uncomfortable handgun I have ever handled. And the "three safties in the trigger" thing scares the daylights out of me. Oh well, thats why I won't buy one.

das028
October 19, 2006, 04:04 PM
Never liked those "commie" guns!

ojdidit
October 19, 2006, 04:38 PM
Rocko, I'm not sure Glocks count either, but I second your negative feelings. I sold a G17 at a loss after 100 rounds. Probably a great gun for the new owner, there are certainly legions that love them. They have a great reputation also. These are all the reasons I bought it to start with. It's just not for me.

TimboKhan
October 19, 2006, 05:03 PM
Correia,

I am with you on being bored by hunting arms. I have 2 hunting rifles, and I have zero interest in another one. I am even worse with shotguns. I bought my 870, and other than a long-standing desire to own a Red Label, my interest in other shotguns is, again, zero.

I am also with you on military arms. I love, love, love them (except for the FAL)

gaweidert
October 19, 2006, 05:29 PM
I never developed a liking for the Enfield. I have several Mosin Nagants, but never cared for the M44 and I do not own any of those. Severla times I have picked up FAL's and CETME's, but even though I have 2600 rounds of Portugese .308, I just don't go ahead and buy them. They just don't call to me at all. I may wind up selling the ammo instead. Mausers are ok, but the sights are hard on les than perfect eyes. Sights on the Mosin Nagant are great. Pretty much perfect for a combat rifle. BTW, Mosin NAgants are not "commie" rifles. They were originally designed 20 years before the cummunist revolution. Some were even made in the USA.

No MAS or Carcano's either. I do have two SKS's and like them. My SAR-1 I hardly shoot at all. I got it because someday they won't be available anymore. I prefer the SKS to the AK. M1 Carbine doesn't appeal to me either. I would never bet my life on one. It has a well earned reputation for not being able to stop a determined, or drugged up, foe. To me, the Garand is still the best main battle rifle ever made.

dm1333
October 19, 2006, 05:37 PM
:barf: But I like the SKS and love the AR15. My absolute favorite is my TC R55 .22 (and the two Classics I had before that). I shoot that thing every week without fail and I even enjoy cleaning it.

Mr White
October 19, 2006, 07:57 PM
I've developed a thing for accuracy. My SKS's rarely leave my safe anymore. Nor does my M44. The M44 isn't accurate and is almost painful to shoot. The SKS's just lost their thrill. Minute of barndoor just doesn't do it for me anymore. My Finn M39 and M28s get exercised quite often, as does my K31, my M1 and my AR (CMP match gun) Anything that can't keep all the holes real close together just isn't worth my time.

pollpegj
October 19, 2006, 08:31 PM
For me it is the fact that I am shooting a piece of history. I believe that my yugo sks is built better than alot of the guns on the market today.

slabsides
October 19, 2006, 08:45 PM
AK and SKS. Blrrrrrtt. I actually owned an SKS for a few months. Traded it.
Have no use for the needle-blower AR's. When they first came out, Colt was selling them to the Govt. for $169 each, with three extra magazines, but civilians were told they'd have to pay $500+. I've never liked those odds. And they're STILL overpriced.
I have three Mauser bolt guns. They are interesting, accurate, and were reasonably priced: Czech/Brazilian 1934 .30-06 conversion; Swedish Husqvarna M38 (1942) 6.5x55; and Mauser Banner Chilean Modelo 1935 Carbine, 7x57. That's all the militaries I need.
Except...I'd like to luck onto a reasonably priced US M-1 Carbine: I used to have one of those and in a fit of stupidity sold it. And if I happened to find a nice 1909 Argentine Mauser in 7.65 for less than a fortune, I might find room in the safe for it...

lionking
October 19, 2006, 09:15 PM
I 've never fired a action or model I did'nt like,though I like some more than others.

But the French Famas,its about as ugly as ugly can get.And I say this out of emotion and eye appeal because I've never fired it (would be a problem Im left handed shooter) so I cant say its no good.

If there is anybody with experience shooting the Famas would like to hear your opinion.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as21-e.htm

lamazza
October 19, 2006, 09:15 PM
Since I bought an SKS the AK is collecting dust..
Usually I love all battle rifles but..
I love the look of an FAL , but strangely hate actually shooting it.
Not crazy about a G3 either.

lionking
October 19, 2006, 09:35 PM
quote the Rev;..... Haven't tried a Nagant yet, so there could be additions later... ;-)

looking at it you might think its not very comfortable or egronomic but actually (I think) it handles well.My only wish on surplus rifles with v or u notch is that there would be a deeper groove for lining up the front sight.

FXR
October 19, 2006, 09:36 PM
Never could warm up to the AR-15; owned two of them and didn't have much fun so I sold them. Still have the M1 Garand, M1A, and M1 Carbine (Auto-Ord version). Guess that dates me a bit but :D .

I've got a Rem 700 in 30.06 I like too. No desire for a Savage (nothing personal, I hear they're great rifles).
FXR

EvisceratorSrB
October 19, 2006, 09:45 PM
Mosins...sorry.

Super spiffy tactical .0000001 MOA rifles with glass that can make the rifle look cheap. They just don't cut it. Let's face it, I'm a plinker.

U.S.SFC_RET
October 19, 2006, 09:49 PM
Sig P220 never did it for me. Great shooting gun and dead on. Never had that nostalgia like my two 1911s have. Could never trust the Sig if I ever had one in the pipe or not when I carried in condition 1. Sold the Sig and never regretted it.

Headless Thompson Gunner
October 19, 2006, 10:00 PM
I can't understand the appeal of AKs, SKS's, or Mosins Nagants. They all have wretched sights, triggers, and ergonomics. 7.62x39 is a lackluster caliber. Users like to proclaim their reliability. Well, my AR15, M1, 1903A3, and FR8 Mauser are all utterly reliable too, all without suffering any of the shortcomings of the commie guns.

The only appeal of the Soviet guns is that they're cheap. Well, a No 4 SMLE is darned cheap too, while still being a well made, shootable, properly designed rifle. Same goes for CMP Garands, Mausers of all flavours, Schmidt Rubins, and so forth. You can be a cheapskate and still get a good rifle, but only if you steer clear of the com-bloc crap.

farmallmta
October 19, 2006, 11:02 PM
Most unfun military rifles (IMHO):

AR-15. Like shooting a .22 semi-auto. I asked the owner of the thing, who also found it to be boring and was trying to sell it to me, "So, when do we start having fun with this popgun?"

Mosin-Nagant. Lousiest build quality and finish I've ever experienced in a rifle. Blow your eardrums out. Horrible groupings at mid-range. Kicked like Jackie Chan. Sporterized the thing to get some quality into it, still sucked (but it sure looked wicked). Traded it off for 2 bald flat retread tires and counted myself ahead. LOL.

SKS. Ugly. Ugly. Ugly. Bad groupings. Did I mention, UGLY!!!? Got rid of it PDQ.

Now for the MOST FUN military rifles.

1) M1 Garand. Looks great, sounds great, shoots great, living history in your hands!!!! Unfortunately, I've only been a guest shooter of them so far. Someday I hope to own one. *sigh*

2) VZ-24 (or, what the h*ll, any military Mauser). Sporterized or original, it's just drenched in quality, good looks, great performance, and general COOLNESS! Definitely the one you take home to meet the family!

3) K-31. They're so beautiful it's almost a shame to load and shoot these unparalleled works of fine military gunsmithing. The LOOKS! The SOUND! The ACCURACY! The PRECISION! Everytime I shoot mine I utter a brief prayer for the original Swiss owner as determined by his name on paper inside the buttplate: "may God bless you and keep you, Johann Reidel, for the exquisite care you gave this rifle during the years it stood ready in your Chalet to repulse Krauts, Commies, Wops, etc. Peace and Good Groupings be yours always, friend!"

_N4Z_
October 19, 2006, 11:07 PM
I can't understand the appeal of AKs, SKS's, or Mosins Nagants. They all have wretched sights, triggers, and ergonomics. 7.62x39 is a lackluster caliber.

Ahh well apparently you've never had the opportunity to fire a good/well made one. That's a shame.

7.62x39 is lackluster? ? :scrutiny:

The tool I never warmed to are the M16 and it's variants. Qualified expert with them many times over while in the service, but it always felt like shooting a toy with all that plastic garb. :barf: I've never desired to own one of my own. I do though own and enjoy shooting the AK. No it's not as accurate, but it is reasonably deadly within 200 yards, and really tears stuff up when it hits.

Also had a Beretta96 that never really tripped my trigger. Was a nice piece, but it got traded for a .357 revolver and I've never looked back.

My newest addition is a 1942 Sako M39 (one of those nasty mosins...:neener: ) and I think it's a real daisy. :D

Bilbo42
October 19, 2006, 11:47 PM
Just didn't feel safe. Other than that, I just like popping caps!! Bilbo

Kymasabe
October 20, 2006, 12:48 AM
For me....CETME's.

armoredman
October 20, 2006, 12:58 AM
:D RBN65, thanks for the laugh! My wife has the WASR, I have a Yugo SKS. Fun, but not the most accurate thing in the world!
Don't like ARs. Ihave shot both civilian and military flavors, don't care for them.
Cannot stand Glocks. I have qualified Distinguished Expert with them, but just can't stand the way the fit me, or the action. I know this is Rifle Country, just had to say that.
CETMEs ruined by Century. Been there, puked on that.
I like my Mosins and Enfield - both are going to the range with me in the morning!:cool: Got some more reloads to try out.;)

atblis
October 20, 2006, 01:46 AM
HKs and Cetme

Trigger sucks
Charging handle sucks
Mag release sucks
Price sucks on the HKs

I am certain that if the exact same gun were made in some thirdworld ****hole, nobody would like it, but it says HK on it, so it musssst be good.

phoglund
October 20, 2006, 02:00 AM
I've never taken to the AK. I've handled many of them but the ergonomics just didn't do it for me. That said I now have a Saiga converted to AK format on order just to say I have an AK I guess. Hopefully it will be a good shooter. I promise to try real hard to like it. :p

648E
October 20, 2006, 02:32 AM
Beretta M9 :barf:
AK Rifles
Mosin-Nagant

xd9fan
October 20, 2006, 02:51 AM
never understood the passion for Glocks...damn ugly.
H&K--same thing

LOVE my SA M7 A1R!!!!

selector67
October 20, 2006, 05:24 AM
For me its the Hakim, heavy, cumbersome, feels like shooting a baseball bat.:barf:

Seven High
October 20, 2006, 08:08 AM
Any military weapon that I have ever shot needed some type of improvement in my opinion. They needed their barrel shortened, a lighter weight stock, or a better flash suppresser.

270Win
October 20, 2006, 08:20 AM
I also love pretty much all military arms, but I'm doubtful most about the plastic-laden ones. Or the ones which appear overly futuristic for no real purpose.

Dr. Dickie
October 20, 2006, 08:33 AM
Pistols are .45, rifles are .30 (or thereabouts, leaving room for the Mausers. Dont own any, but a classic design is never bad).
Weapons are made of steel and wood.

M.E.Eldridge
October 20, 2006, 01:02 PM
None. I like just about all military issue rifles especially older C&R pieces.

Never cared much for hunting or sporting rifles though(with the exception of the Winchester rifles of the 19th Century).

My favorite military rifle is the M1 Garand followed by the No.4 Enfield followed by the SMLE.

dragongoddess
October 20, 2006, 02:21 PM
Well I like my Carcano and my Swiss K31 along with my AK74. Want to add an AK47 to the mix but I'm heavy into revolvers now. Wouldn't mind an AR15 either or for that matter an AR-30 or AR-50 would also be nice additions to the safe.

High Planes Drifter
October 20, 2006, 02:44 PM
I never could warm to the FAL. Also, the 1911 has failed me so I am no longer a fan of it either.

Mr White
October 20, 2006, 04:14 PM
I can't understand the appeal of AKs, SKS's, or Mosins Nagants. They all have wretched sights, triggers, and ergonomics. 7.62x39 is a lackluster caliber. Users like to proclaim their reliability. Well, my AR15, M1, 1903A3, and FR8 Mauser are all utterly reliable too, all without suffering any of the shortcomings of the commie guns.

Roland, or do you prefer "Mr Headless Thompson Gunner", Don't knock all Mosin Nagants. The Finns are actually pretty good guns. There were reworked with new stocks,triggers and barrels. Both of my M28's and my M39 have decent 2 stage triggers. My M39's trigger is almost as good as K31's. My M28s both have barrels made by SIG and M my M39's barrel is made by FN. They are all pretty accurate guns, even with surplus ball ammo. I haven't shot any good handloads in them yet, so I don't know what they're really capable of.

Glockfan.45
November 5, 2006, 07:47 PM
I do not care for the FAL flame on :D . I am in the camp that geeks out over military rifles but IMO the FAL is too damn heavy for a combat rifle with ergonomics only fit for a three armed Arnold Schwarzeneger. Also I want more than 20 rounds in any "assault rifle" I own. Also with the FAL does anybody else find it odd they put a carry handle on top that looks to be made for a LMG? That tells me alll I need to know about it.

dispatch55126
November 5, 2006, 07:56 PM
I was never a fan of Mosin-Nagant rifles...until I shot one. The recoil isn't as bad as its made out to be and its plenty accurate. Aside from the 48" length, I can't find much wrong with it. I've never been a fan of the SKS but with all of the 7.62x59 ammo I own, I might pick one up.

Harry Paget Flashman
November 5, 2006, 09:48 PM
I've tried the 1911 since the 70's (a Colt Series 70, SA buildup, Norc, Kimber Custom II TLE and a Gold Cup). I loved owning them but they never clicked for me. Call me a peasant but I like the Ruger P97 better. Got a P220, G21 and S&W 1917 too, so I haven't abandoned the caliber. I'm done with 1911's.

cmb3366
November 5, 2006, 10:11 PM
The sks. I like the idea of a 30cal bullet in a light, handy, cheap , and reliable package, but I get bored with them quickly, mainly due to a complete lack of accuracy. I owned a yuog years ago, got bored with it and sold it. As the memory of it's innaccuracy faded, I made the mistake of buying a norinco. 6" at 100yds from a rifle is just no fun for me, so it too is now gone.

dm1333
November 5, 2006, 10:18 PM
Unless maybe it is my TC R55 or a CZ 527 (only in 7.62x39). Other than those two I would rather have a beat up old surplus rifle or pistol. I hunt with a Savage Enfield. I start to dislike any gun when people start hanging all kinds of stuff off of it unless they really need it (think infantry in Iraq).

The one military gun I don't like is the 870 shotgun. The newer version we are using with the 14 inch bbl and the electronic sight is ok, I guess, but I would much rather have a Mossberg 500 or 590. The safety is in the right place on them

cracked butt
November 6, 2006, 01:26 AM
M38 and M44 Mosin nagants. Kind of the converse of an old saying applies "inaccurate rifles are not interesting." Out of 30 or so surplus rifles I've owned, these two creatures are the only ones that I could never get to shoot repectably well- past 10 yards.

Dionysusigma
November 6, 2006, 01:58 AM
Never liked the FAL. Just doesn't fit. Design, caliber, and idea behind it are good, but... nah.

Steyr M95. Love the idea, but *hated* where the rear of the sling meets the rifle (right on the grip).

MAS series of rifles, whether it's the autoloader or the bolt-action. Don't fit well. Ugly. From the creators of the Chauchat, it seems.

Straight-bolt Mausers. Good thing they fixed this problem over the years. :neener:

Thompson. What the heck were they thinking, putting a volley sight on there? And the stock! :barf: For some reason, I still want one.

1919. Still can't figure out how to fire the :cuss: thing. Where's the trigger?

Everything else, though, seems okay. Granted, I wouldn't feel too badly off in a bad situation if I had any of the above guns and enough ammo, but I'd feel... kinda dirty after using 'em. :uhoh:

1911user
November 6, 2006, 02:13 AM
First was the #4 Mk1* 303, I shot it at the range a few times then sold it. It never felt right and the stripper clips showed why rimless cartridges are desirable for box mag rifles.

Next was a Styer AUG that I had a chance to shoot once. It was seriously butt heavy until the owner (a nice cop who carried it on patrol) put his suppressor on it and even then the trigger was still horrible but it was much quieter.

Last was the beloved FAL. The pistol grip ergos and heavy trigger killed any chance for fun with it. It was a kit that was never quite put together. I sold everything associated with FALs early this year to pay some bills. It is another one I won't miss. I'd much rather have an M14/M1A.

I've never shot an 8mm Mauser bolt action in war trim, but probably wouldn't like it. Steel buttplates and full power ammo just aren't a fun mix except in my M1 Garand.

iamkris
November 6, 2006, 08:30 AM
I own a lot of military arms and the only ones I can't warm up to are the Mosin-Nagant 91/30 and M44 (I still own both) and the HK G3 (I've sold it)

The MNs are just so shoddily made that I get no pride when shooting them. The sights, trigger and acccuracy are nothing to sing about either. (My M39 however is something completely different)

Here's why I sold the G3

Poor ergonomics for me
No bolt open
Couldn't reach selector without changing grip
Mag release is difficult to manipulate
What idiot puts the charging handle near the muzzle of a rifle
Too many clunky pins, removal of the buttstock, trigger pack when dissassembling in the field

That was just too many negatives. Still, I keep eyeing those PTR91s...

mrrick
November 9, 2006, 04:14 AM
Anything FRENCH!!!

swingset
November 9, 2006, 05:33 AM
G3/HK-91. Uncomfortable to shoot, sharp recoil, dirty.
AK, bad ergos (for me)

I seem to get along well with the rest.

wayne in boca
November 9, 2006, 05:57 AM
I sort of dislike the halberd.Kind of awkward,with the axe all the way out on the end of the shaft with the spear point.Give me a good old flail or battleaxe,now those are military arms you can count on.Poisonous blowgun darts kind of piss me off too.

articdog
November 9, 2006, 10:35 AM
"For me its the Hakim, heavy, cumbersome, feels like shooting a baseball bat."

Well said!

Jack19
November 9, 2006, 10:38 AM
1911. I tried, but could never get with the 1911 program.

Manedwolf
November 9, 2006, 10:45 AM
Agreed on the Nagant. It's just TOO :cuss: LOUD, even with plugs and muffs both!

3) K-31. They're so beautiful it's almost a shame to load and shoot these unparalleled works of fine military gunsmithing. The LOOKS! The SOUND! The ACCURACY! The PRECISION! Everytime I shoot mine I utter a brief prayer for the original Swiss owner as determined by his name on paper inside the buttplate: "may God bless you and keep you, Johann Reidel, for the exquisite care you gave this rifle during the years it stood ready in your Chalet to repulse Krauts, Commies, Wops, etc. Peace and Good Groupings be yours always, friend!"

A BIG BIG +1 on that being one of the best. :)

byf43
November 9, 2006, 05:10 PM
To echo. . . "Anything French!"

Military dislikes:

AK types. Let the flames begin. "Klack, klack, klack." Don't like it.
Mosin Nagant. Doesn't do a thing for me.
M1 Carbine. Pip-squeak rifle. I'd rather throw the thing at who/what I'm trying to hurt.

Thin Black Line
November 9, 2006, 06:40 PM
I'd rather shoot my Mini-14 Ranch Rifle, which remains my favorite "long-range plinker."

Thanks, I needed something funny to cheer me up today.

yodar
November 9, 2006, 08:35 PM
I had FUN with an M-1 carbine in my ute because the Ruger 10-22 wasnt invented (nor was an SKS available to me in 1964)

An un-named friend "converted " his M-1 to an M-1 and 1/2f and made a combat movie for school using a DeWAT Lewis gun machine gunning a German squad deployed in a valley. The full auto shots were of the Lewis gun muzzle shroud with the M-1.5 shooting thru it for 30 rounds.

Then I encountered M-1 carbine in the Ruger bearcat _ Jeez! Insufferable painfully LOUD. Worse than CZ 52 by an order of magnitude.

So when I got MY M-1 carbine I said "Hot Damn! Ruger 10-22 on ROIDS!" I love it. It is a totally worthles fun gun

Yodar

dispatch55126
November 9, 2006, 08:45 PM
Everyone has been bashing the MN 91/30 so I'll throw something out there that'll take their mind off the russian...

...The french Chauchat

If you enjoyed reading about "Military arms you just couldn't warm up to.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!