Bore snake breaking in the bore.

PDA

dfariswheel
October 19, 2006, 02:27 PM
Due to the increased use of Bore snakes, and reports of snakes breaking off in the bore, I contacted Michael's of Oregon about what they recommend as an extraction method.

Their answer:

I've heard numerous extraction methods, but the only thing that we
recommend is for the individual not to put any oils/solvent down the
barrel if the snake brakes. It will cause the snake to swell, thus
becoming harder to dislodge. We haven't found a recommended extraction
method yet.

Jeff Redding
Bushnell Performance Optics
1-800-423-3537 ext. 6193

If you enjoyed reading about "Bore snake breaking in the bore." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
eab
October 19, 2006, 02:34 PM
Would not just pushing town a solid cleaning rod with a patch jig attached push it out? Doesn't seem like that big a problem to me if it did happen....

ArmedBear
October 19, 2006, 02:37 PM
Interesting.

Bore snakes act quite differently in different applications.

For shotguns and handguns, I love 'em.

For my smallbore rifles, they work pretty well.

For my .30-06, the thing is really tight. It may clean well, but it could break, too. I'm not sure...

News Shooter
October 19, 2006, 02:44 PM
was when I tried to put a .45 snake down a M1 Garand and tried to pull it out.
I just rammed a regular rod down it and pushed it out.

I think this is a tempest in a teapot

TimboKhan
October 19, 2006, 03:13 PM
Tempest in a teapot? More like a Tsunami in a thimble. At the risk of sounding like a major jerk, why is this a problem? If it breaks, take a rod and push it out. Simple.

yodar
October 19, 2006, 03:18 PM
visualize a corkscrew jag whose end becomes a barb after half a turn, then 180 degrees across is another one facing it, two helical barbs facing each other

It is a small vergin of what was used with cannon as a patch puller

here's one from Midway;

http://tinyurl.com/y2yoco
or:

http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/image?saleitemid=334765

I dont know where I got it but it works to snag the snake to pull it out. Like a chinese finger puzzle, pushing on it works sometimes but swells it and makes it harder

yodar

ocabj
October 19, 2006, 04:32 PM
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the segemented wooden dowel rod and a mallet? The same tools you'd use to slug a bore (http://www.surplusrifle.com/reloading/slug/index.asp).

Car Knocker
October 19, 2006, 05:31 PM
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the segemented wooden dowel rod and a mallet?

You just did! :D

Wes Janson
October 20, 2006, 12:15 AM
Anyone else ever tried using the .30 cal boresnake on a Garand? Was it just me, or did it seem extremely difficult to pull through for anyone else?

Andras
October 20, 2006, 12:27 AM
I use a .30cal BoreSnake on my 2 Garands and it doesn't seem to be difficult to pull through. No more then my .223.

gezzer
October 20, 2006, 09:25 PM
A lot of the problems with bore snakes sticking in the bore is the loop on the end. Some folks think they can pull a t-shirt through the bore by using this little loop.

Critter183
October 20, 2006, 09:46 PM
Seems like an easy problem to prevent, though I've never used one. Just tie a smaller diameter piece of string, a little longer than the barrel, to that loop on the end. If the lead string breaks, just pull it back out with the tail string.

Now, are these things really that quick and easy? Cuz I hate cleaning my rifles. I don't think I ever got one perfectly clean in my life.

blackhawk2000
October 20, 2006, 11:52 PM
If you accidently close the bolt on the string part of the snake it will break. Ask me how I know this.

DBR
October 21, 2006, 02:52 AM
I haven't broken one (yet) and I have used them quite a bit in several calibers of both rifle and pistol. I have never liked the way the "string" is attached to the "rope".

A better way would be to thin the the "rope", tapering it at the transition and not using a seperate "string" at all. The snake is useful enough that I would pay a bit more for a more competant design.

MechAg94
October 21, 2006, 01:05 PM
I have cut a string on a .223 snake. If you are pulling through an AR-15, go ahead and break it down first. The bolt carrier will cut the string if the bolt hold pin slips. :)

I have never head an issue with using a .30 caliber snake in a .30 caliber barrel. If used on a dirty barrel, they are tight sometimes, but not so much on a clean barrel. I often use mine as a final clean to polish things up after using patches to get the heavy stuff.

Why would someone try to put a .45 cal bore snake in a .30 cal barrel? Why would someone try to pull anything else through? That never would have occured to me to do something like that. The only thing I have used that loop for is to pull the cloth part back and forth through the barrel. I prefer not to do that though.

Chipperman
October 21, 2006, 01:49 PM
I have about 6-7 Boresnakes. I've never had one break.

Some folks think they can pull a t-shirt through the bore by using this little loop.

Have people actually tried to attach things to the loop? :scrutiny:

The whole point of the thing is that it's self-contained. Why would you defeat that by trying to stick something else on the end?

If you enjoyed reading about "Bore snake breaking in the bore." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!