I made this the other day when I was bored.

PDA

CombatArmsUSAF
October 19, 2006, 07:19 PM
I really liked it and I figured I'd share it with you guys and gals. It's really easy as long as you can tell the difference between Ball/Tracer/API/APIT rounds.

I really wanted to do this because I just figured out how to put pictures on here.

If you enjoyed reading about "I made this the other day when I was bored." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
armedpolak
October 19, 2006, 07:21 PM
can you make me one with a .45 JHP ?
i'll pay for shipping and price of ammo / manufacture.

armed

CombatArmsUSAF
October 19, 2006, 07:36 PM
Very simple to make. All you need is a drill, an appropriate size bit, and a non-marring rap (leather). I would happily make you one but I am leaving kuwait soon and a few weeks after i get back to the states I leave for turkey.

Basically what I did was fold the leather in half and place the bullet in the fold. Then I placed the two in a vice, and used a 1/8 inch bit. It shouldn't matter what kind of bit you use (Metal, wood) as long as your using a regular old Ball or HP round. Copper and lead are both very soft metals.

Once in the vice, used the drill to put the hole about 1/4 inch inside of the boattail for support.

As long as you can somewhat accurately hold a drill at 90 degrees you should have no problem.

October 19, 2006, 08:06 PM
Don't try getting on an airplane with that in your pocket...

kungfuhippie
October 19, 2006, 08:23 PM
Should lead be a concern? I mean if you carry the round in your pocket with a hole in the copper jacket, the lead whill rub off on the steel ring. (you can use a softpoint as a pencil) Lead poisoning is something to be concerned about. Lead can make you steril, cause birth defects, miscarrages, death, write nagging posts...

I sound like my mom today...:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot that if lead is "injected" it can lead to death:D

CombatArmsUSAF
October 19, 2006, 08:55 PM
I work on a range all day, everyday and breath in who knows how much lead dust and any other material thats floating around. I really am not worried about getting lead poisoning from this.

Also, the air force requires blood tests every 6 months for people in my position. So I'll know long before I am ingesting levels to be concerned about.

bumm
October 19, 2006, 09:49 PM
Last Christmas, I bought 1000 Hardcast LSWC's for my .45 with money from my mother. To show her what she bought me, I made her a necklace out of one by drilling a small hole in the base, screwing a small screw-eye into it, and putting a chain on it. I gave it several coats of clear varnish to seal the lead in, knowing that she wouldn't wear it much after her friends at the apartment saw it anyway. :)
Marty

swampgator
October 19, 2006, 10:01 PM
can you make me one with a .45 JHP ?

I would think that a .45 would be a little short for a key fob. But as bumm said it would make a good necklace.

loki.fish
October 20, 2006, 12:00 PM
Not trying to hijack or anything, but the OP reminded me of something I had seen a couple weeks ago. A friend of mine put a .308 FMJ bullet on the tip of his cell phone antenna. He said his reception became 3-4x better than what it was. Kind of weird seeing a .308 poking out of a cell phone.

If you enjoyed reading about "I made this the other day when I was bored." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!