inexpensive dueling tree

PDA

Rabid Rabbit
October 19, 2006, 11:25 PM
My wife is bugging me to get a dueling tree, I've already done a fair bit of searching on the web, cabellas, midway bass pro etc... and cannot find what I want. I'm looking for a dueling tree with six targets, the bottom target should be about 18 inches off the ground and about 5 feet high, 6-8 inch round targets and must be jacketed bullet proof. I'd be shooting 40 and 45 mostly maybe some 10mm down the road at as close as 7 yds. If possible I'd like to keep the price under $200.

If you enjoyed reading about "inexpensive dueling tree" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bogie
October 20, 2006, 05:45 AM
Dream. Shipping costs are gonna be a bundle. I have a friend who makes 'em, and to do it right, and durable, is gonna cost you. You can buy a $200 one, but you'll end up buying another.

Auslander
October 20, 2006, 05:03 PM
You need to look at getting some scrap AR500 steel and having someone make you what you want or just go to Law Enforcement Targets Inc. (http://www.letargets.com/html/steel.html) and look at what is there.

Googling “steel targets dueling tree” will help you out some too.

Thefabulousfink
October 20, 2006, 05:36 PM
I would also imagine the type of ammo used would effect the longevity of the targets.

Using BP and "Cowboy" loads will cause much less damage to the steel than .357 mag. Using low recoil/low energy rounds with frangible or soft lead bullets should extend your milage quite a bit.

On a side note, do they normally harden the target surfaces or do they just cut them our of steel and call it good?

Majic
October 20, 2006, 07:20 PM
Any metal or welding shop can make you one. Just draw up the plans and talk to the shop owner or forman. Also I wouldn't shoot at one as close as 7 yards with a centerfire cartridge. I have seen bullets bounce back from 15 yard targets and put bruises on people.

Chipperman
October 20, 2006, 08:16 PM
Any welding shop can make one, but if they don't have the right steel it will be ruined very quickly.

If you have a friend that can make one out of lesser grade steel for $50, and does not mind repairing it on a weekly basis, that's fine.

RH822
October 20, 2006, 08:23 PM
Check out these people.
http://www.justshootmeproducts.com/
I didn't see a dueling tree, but that doesn't mean they don't make them.

RH

CSA 357
October 20, 2006, 08:29 PM
I used to make my own,when i had the tools to do it with made mine out of 1/4 inch steel, they did good on 38, 44 ,45, but 45-70 and 12 ga slugs would mess them up fast!:neener:

bumm
October 20, 2006, 08:32 PM
Majic was saying
>Also I wouldn't shoot at one as close as 7 yards
> with a centerfire cartridge. I have seen bullets
> bounce back from 15 yard targets and put bruises
> on people.

Ditto. I have a small one that came with instructions not to use it at less than 30 yards. I shoot at it at 25 with .45acp with no problems, but 7 yards, especially with larger, heavier plates, is going to be dangerous.
Marty

SDM
October 21, 2006, 03:08 PM
I don't know how much it would cost to build or ship but you might find one here: www.nevcotargets.com

It says they will build custom stuff.

Rabid Rabbit
October 22, 2006, 11:39 AM
I suupect I'll have to get one built or I can use it to justify buying a welding kit (I did some welding years ago) and make my own.

oldgold
October 22, 2006, 08:38 PM
If you really need seven yard targets, try===

http://www.newboldtargets.com/

If you enjoyed reading about "inexpensive dueling tree" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!