How to clean after using corrosive ammo?

PDA

pinetree64
May 16, 2003, 07:11 PM
Got the C&R bug. Orders two tins of Romanian 8mm. What I want to know if what can I do to neutralize the corrosive powder after I'm done shooting. I sometime don't have time to spend cleaning all my guns after an extended range session until the next weekend.

I use a bore snakes on my shotguns to but down a coat of oil while on hunting trips. I figure I can pick up a couple snakes for my C&R rifles and do a couple passes at the range...

Thanks,
tjg

If you enjoyed reading about "How to clean after using corrosive ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sactown
May 16, 2003, 07:23 PM
I carry a bottle of 50/50 Windex and water. After shooting corrosive ammo I spray the mixture down the barrel to neutralize the corrosive salts in the primers. I also spray the mixture on my bolt and then wipe it off. I then run a couple of patches with the mixture through the barrel. When I get home I clean just like my other guns. Most important is to neutralize those salts. I use the patchworm from 20/20 Concepts. It's small and handy.

TechBrute
May 16, 2003, 07:25 PM
Hoppes #9

cwalker3
May 16, 2003, 07:29 PM
Like Sactown said, it's very simple. Ammonia will neutralize the salts, so either use Windex like was already suggested, or a 50-50 mixture of ammonia and water. I just run a couple of saturated patches of the 50-50 mix down the barrel and wipe down the bolt while at the range. Then clean as usual when I get home. All I shoot out of my C & R's is corrosive and all of the barrels are pristine.

Mike Irwin
May 16, 2003, 11:58 PM
Well, there's no "neutralizing" the salts, and Hoppe's No. 9 won't do it, either.

Potassium chloride (KCl) is the after effect of shooting corrosive primers. It's very similar to regular salt (NaCl), and like regular table salt is very hygroscopic.

Both KCl and NaCL are soluable in water, but NOT in oil.

In fact, oil can actually compound the problem by coating over the primer residue and making them even harder to remove, but a coating of oil won't stop the KCl from pulling water THROUGH the oil coating and causing rusting.

Hoppe's contains no water, so it will NOT remove all of the corrosive primer residue.

Windex, and even straight ammonia (unless it's industrial ammonia), on the other hand, contain substantial amounts of free water.

The ammonia in the Windex also does a fair job of cutting any oil that might remain in the bore, which is one of the reasons why it does a good job at removing KCl.

Essentially, anything with water in it will work, and work well if you use enough of it -- old GI bore cleaner, Simple Green, Formula 409, etc.

Even straight water will work if you use enough of it.

Hot soapy water works well. The soap cuts any oil in the bore and the warm water increases the soluability of the KCl.

Sisco
May 17, 2003, 12:11 AM
The only thing I shoot corrosive through is my Turk Mauser. As soon as I get home I stand the rifle on end in a bucket, stick a funnel in the chamber and pour about a half gallon of hot soapy water down it. Let it dry then clean with #9. Been doing it this way three years or so, no visible corrosion in the bore.

sm
May 17, 2003, 12:19 AM
Again-Mike is right.

Been awhile, but carried soap and water in an squirt bottle ( Joy, Lux, Ivory...dshwashing liquid) to do a hold till got home. Then stuck the bbl in a bucket and used the "OK gas credit card method"...I syphoned hot soapy water, rinsed with hot water, and used machine oil to prevent rust.

Wildalaska
May 17, 2003, 12:39 AM
Drink water...and pee!!!!

WildthebritsdiditinthetrenchesAlaska

sm
May 17, 2003, 12:45 AM
Wildalaska
Yep, and urine is sterile...we guys might not have an aim ( according to the other gender) but we at least can get 'closer' than they can...;)

Sactown
May 17, 2003, 03:17 AM
Drink water...and pee!!!!

I don't even wanna know where your guns have been. :D

There's a great picture. Wife/Gfriend walks in while you're unzipped and about to fill your barrel up.

sm
May 17, 2003, 03:23 AM
Don't drink myself, but another thought...
Wife/GF " honey, I bought you case of beer, gonna cost you though, I shot that corrosive ammo today..."

Mike Irwin
May 17, 2003, 03:57 PM
As long as everyone recognizes that urine contains salts and acids that are probably only slightly less corrosive than primer salts, I think you'll do fine peeing into the action of your rifle.

What the people at the next bench have to say to you, however...

If you enjoyed reading about "How to clean after using corrosive ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!