Need reload data for Sierra Matchking 69 gr .224 dia HPBT

PDA

Critter183
October 20, 2006, 01:58 PM
I need to get a muzzle velocity of 3000 FPS to match the calibration of a Springfield Armory Tactical scope on my 24" bull barrel AR15.

My older Sierra manual has no listing for this bullet. I have Winchester 743 powder but can buy whatever I need to get the result I need.

Anyone have any reload data on this bullet?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Need reload data for Sierra Matchking 69 gr .224 dia HPBT" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
October 20, 2006, 02:07 PM
My 4th edition Sierra shows nothing faster than 2800 fps for a 69 gr MK.
3000 fps is going to be hot, hot, hot.
You could call Sierra and ask for their highest velocity load and go from there. Some sources load hotter than Sierra, you might could shop for a heavier load than Sierra is willing to show.

Critter183
October 20, 2006, 02:38 PM
I really don't like this Springfield Armory scope that much but I wanted to give it a try with the bullet and velocity it is supposed to be calibrated for. I wonder why they would calibrate a scope for a velocity that exceeds what would be considered safe?

Maybe I have the wrong 69gr bullet for the job? I'll have to call Springfield and see what they say.

Thanks!

Jim

Critter183
October 20, 2006, 02:50 PM
Seems that Springfield doesn't make these any more, and they don't really know what to say except one person there seems to think that this is a misprint in the manual and that the calibrated velocity is actually 2600 fps. So, I will cook something up for 2600 fps and give it a go round and see.

May be a few weeks before I get to it, but I will post results here for posterity. hehehe

Thanks again.

GPWEAPON
October 20, 2006, 03:19 PM
You might consider the 75 grain hornady for the longer shots 600-1000

Varget is the closest to getting the velocity you want. 25.5 grs.

Springfield scopes are junk imo get a leatherwood off e-bay for $240-280http://http://cgi.ebay.com/Leatherwood-Rifle-Scope-Hunting-Rangefinder-3-5-10x50_W0QQitemZ220039201417QQihZ012QQcategoryZ31714QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
They have all the features and have little pointers you adj right on the
eleavation knob for what ever load you want which can be big if that max
charge load doesen't hold .5 moa or less and you have to reduce it
some to tighten it up.

Plus leatherwood has a killer range est. system built into the scope.

Critter183
October 20, 2006, 05:00 PM
I used to have a Leupold 4.5X14 Mil Dot Tactical on it, but moved that to my .308 when I bought this one from some dealer on AR15.com. I was disappointed with it from the start, but never tried the proper bullet/velocity with it.

My group sizes doubled wth the Springfield.

Have you used the Leatherwood? How would it compare to a Leupold?

Maybe I'll ebay it and get one of those that you speak of.

Thanks for the info.

Bullet
October 20, 2006, 05:36 PM
I’ve been shooting 69gr Moly SMK’s out of my 20 inch RRA Varminter at 2950 fps using 27.4 gr of VV N540. This load was below MAX in VV’s listed data then. In the latest VV data the MAX load is now 26.4 gr for N540 at 2986 fps out of a 25 inch barrel. I don’t know what changed VV’s data, but I never had trouble using VV’s old data. If you try VV powder you might get there (3000 fps), but work up your loads carefully. Hope this helps.

Critter183
October 20, 2006, 07:26 PM
GP, the guys at Sniper Central forum don't have anything good to say about the Leatherwoods. They mostly call thewm chinese junk.

You had good experience with them?

ocabj
October 20, 2006, 08:08 PM
Get the Lyman book. They have loads for .223 tested on the AR receiver using a 20" and 24" barrel. For the 24" data, most of powders listed hit in the high 2900s. For example, Lyman 48th edition lists 26.3gr Win 748 as max at 2994fps, 25.5gr H335 as max at 2995fps, and 25.0gr AA2230 as max at 3063fps.

What chamber is your barrel. 223 remington, Wylde, or 5.56 NATO? If it's a Wylde or NATO chamber, just start under max for your powder and work up carefully until you chrono 3000fps. Wylde and NATO chambers give you more leeway as far as exceeding known charge weights and can handle higher than SAAMI pressures. Just watch for cratered primers, flattened primers, or other pressure signs as you work up and chrono.

Don't expect the data books to be 100% correct. Not only do powder lots vary, so do primers, and cases. Not to mention the fact that some barrels will shoot faster/slower than others of the same brand or make due to the variance in the chambering (which affect pressure).

Hazzard
October 20, 2006, 08:39 PM
I have a Leatherwood, and I just can't get used to the POI changing when I adjust magnification (I know, it's the way it's supposed to work) so I just leave the cam ring disengaged from the power ring and use it as a regular variable power scope. It seems to do fine as far as accuracy this way. The optics are clear and bright, but I find the retical a bit too heavy for me.

GPWEAPON
October 21, 2006, 12:21 PM
I just got mine a couple weeks ago, have it on a colt flat top, very
clear with great features like a stop for your elevation to come back
to zero, I know it's not a 1K lupy or nightforce but It smokes anything
else in that price imo.

strambo
October 21, 2006, 01:08 PM
Why not work up a safe 2800fps load, then shoot it at distance to field verify the BDC. Go from there. Or buy a box of factory federal, chrono it and field fire. Base your load workup on those results. I wouldn't work up a hot 3000 fps load first.

No matter what you do, the BDC will probably not match your load perfectly, especially with weather variations. Have to have a data card with your offset from the BDC at various distances anyway.

Good luck, report back. 3000fps does seem odd for that scope unless intended for 22-250. Or are those faster? Some scopes with ranging reticles seemed to be designed for a particular round, then they list other cals. and velocities that also work...but don't always make sense for the chamberings.

Don't Tread On Me
October 22, 2006, 07:47 PM
You're in luck, because AA's data is based on a 24" barrel.

Accurate Arms has both .223 data for the 69smk and it has NRA data. Their max NRA charge is listed at 27.0gr which does 3044fps.

You can see this data here:

http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/PerCaliber2Guide/Rifle/NRAcartridges/223Remington%20pages%20376%20and%20377.pdf

Here is the .223 data.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/PerCaliber2Guide/Rifle/Standarddata(Rifle)/22Cal(5.56mm)/223%20Remington%20pages%20185%20to%20187.pdf

On that data, 25.9gr doesn't break 3,000fps.

In my research, I've read on the web, and seen from personal experience, that the 2,800-2,900fps range has been the more accurate loading. It is safe, does the job, and doesn't push the limits which exposes you to all kinds of tiny variables that can ramp up the pressure significantly.

Always work up the load, because in my 24" barrel with 1/8 twist, my velocities of the 69smk are running a little faster than the AA data. Some rifles run faster, others slower. Always work up.

Stick to the 2800-2900 range, just my opinion. If you need more distance out of the .223, get the 75 or 77gr bullets, provided you have the twist rate.

I wouldn't build my load around my optic. I'd get an optic around my load.

I like the Burris ballistic plex. It works well. There are mil-dots with turrets and you can click to what you need. Leupold will make you a custom BDC knob for just about any Leupold scope based on your ballistic data for around $100. You click to the range you want and you'll be on since that load is what is represented on the dial.

callgood
October 23, 2006, 11:28 PM
I shoot 69 grain SMKs in a Bushmaster 1x9 24" stainless barrel. I settled on 25.3 grains of Varget. CCI 41 primers. Remington brass. Here is what I chronoed while working up my load.

24.1 2713fps
24.9 2813
25.3 2876

I only shot 10 per each weight. I had the range to myself so I was able to let the barrel cool within and between loads. I was not going for velocity and the 25.3 grains gave me a very good group, with an SD of 13 so I haven't done much else along these lines. The 25.3 load showed no signs of pressure. I loaded 10 ea @25.7 and 26.1 but didn't shoot them. Given the above, I would guess I would attain 3000fps @ around 25 grains of Varget but am satisfied for the moment with the weight I settled on. Hope this helps.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need reload data for Sierra Matchking 69 gr .224 dia HPBT" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!