kel-tech su-16 accuracy???

PDA

Anteater1717
October 21, 2006, 12:01 AM
ok what inch groops should a new su-16 shoot at 100 yards? is it comprable to an AR on any level?and of any gun what are they the closest to mechanicly? are they worth the price? reliabilty? and can a 80 grain 223 take down a dear and if so at what ranges i have heard they are the minimal dear caliber? stock are they ca legal? how are thier sights? any thing i should know:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "kel-tech su-16 accuracy???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ChristopherG
October 21, 2006, 12:24 AM
With cheap factory ammo, mine shoots 2-3" groups fairly reliably if I do my part. It is not a free-floated gun nor does it have the rigidity of an AR15, and is unlikely to be reliably as accurate as one. On the other hand, it weighs half as much.

They share some similarities with the AR15 (shape of the bolt head, as far as I can tell, and the extractor) but have a gas piston like an AK47. Most people seem to report good reliability, except for some sporadic problems with extraction, which are usually solved with a good cleaning.

There is no 180 grain .223 bullet. There are 80 grain bullets, but they will not stabilize with the 1 in 9" twist barrel of an SU. There are .223 bullets that have been used to take deer with a .223, though it's illegal in a lot of places and not a very good idea in a lot of other places. It's little. If I HAD to take a deer with my SU, I'd use this bullet:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=590017

But I wouldn't. The minimal deer caliber, as it gets bandied around here, is more commonly going to be the .243 Winchester.

The sights are either pretty good or not. The sights on the original version include an orange plastic front blade that's a pretty crude affair; but those on the 'b' and later versions are good enough to be able to shoot the gun. It lends itself quite well to a low-power scope or red-dot, and has a built in Weaver/Picattiny rail for easy and flexible mounting.

Anything you should know? Well, I would suggest that the SU is not a do-all gun. For me, it's basically a handy truck gun, a fun play gun, and an adequate (I hope!) zombie gun (i.e., it's my mag-fed centerfire SHTF gun).

browningguy
October 21, 2006, 12:53 AM
My SU16A shoots 2.25-2.5" with most ammo, with the Black Hills 52 gr. Moly coated it's down in the 1.2-1.3" range, more than accurate enough for most shooting.

I think there is a load with a 60 gr. or so Nosler Partition that could be used on deer, but I'm not a believer. Lot's of folks here in Texas hunt deer with a .223, but the chances of a wounded animal are too great for me.

As mentioned the "A" model sights pretty much suck, ok for really close stuff but very difficult for my old eyes to use acccurately. I've put a 1.5-4.5 scope on mine and it makes a world of difference.

If you enjoyed reading about "kel-tech su-16 accuracy???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!